Express Scripts

Updated October 12, 2014
2.1

Express Scripts Chairman & Chief Executive Officer George Paz
George Paz

Pros
  • Benefits are good and depending on your position you can work from home (in 46 reviews)

• Good benefits, instant vesting of company share of 401k match (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • This place has no concern for work/life balance although that's what they preach (in 86 reviews)

• There is absolutely no work/life balance because they think that your job should be your (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

186 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Completed trainee program.

Former Employee - Intern in Lake Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Intern in Lake Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Express Scripts as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Meet a lot of people and involved in different projects.

Cons

Lack of career development for entry level people.

Express Scripts Response

Oct 17, 2014Talent Acquisition Representative

Thank you for your comments and for participating in our internship program.
    Express Scripts prides itself in the entry level opportunities we offer, both through our university partnerships and
    ... More

Why People Don't Like Working at Express Scripts

Former Employee - Senior IT Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Senior IT Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Express Scripts full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A lot of good people sprinkled throughout. A very nice bonus program and an excellent 401k (6% company match).

Cons

I spent nearly a decade working for Express Scripts, which made it a very difficult decision when I recently left the company. For most of those years, things weren't bad (although there were certainly were frustrations). However, the culture has become very, very sour after the Medco merger 2 years ago, and good people have been leaving in droves ever since.

The internal politics at the company have gotten so thick that it is nearly impossible to get anything done. On one hand, you have the legacy ESI folks, many of whom have grown up with the company. On the other hand, you have the legacy Medco folks who remain resentful that their company got bought, and who seem to have an unhealthy distrust for anything coming out of St. Louis. The two companies continue to operate under the ESI umbrella, and they both have some representation in leadership. The sad part is, that the two sides don't cooperate at all, and tend to sabotage each other at every opportunity. Cooperation is rare, and senior leadership doesn't force either side to compromise or take direction.

If you come up with a better way of doing things at ESI, it will be fully your responsibility to convince *everyone* in the east and the west that the change needs to happen. Unfortunately, this is an impossible task due to the amount of red tape involved, and the ongoing divide between the legacy companies. From an IT perspective, this means that their technology stack is completely antiquated, and there is little hope of moving the company forward. This also leads to a situation where nearly everyone believes that the company doesn't value them at all, and it has become incredibly difficult to do a good job and make things better, even if you want to. This unfortunately leads to a situation where very few people work hard at all, and almost nothing ever gets done.

All of this frustration has led to an environment where a sense of discontent permeates through the hallways. Behind closed doors, most employees have very little respect for the company or for senior leadership, and things seem to only be getting worse. When surrounded by such negativity day after day, it really starts to affect your mood and outlook, even when you aren't working. To make matters worse, many talented people have already left the company, and because of a sour reputation around town, replacing them with talented individuals has become nearly impossible.

From a culture perspective, there is virtually none at ESI. Very few people get together outside of the office, and the only company get-togethers are formulaic employee-only lunches (one in the winter, one in the summer), where drinking is prohibited and families aren't invited. The St. Louis offices are in a terrible part of town, and most people look forward to leaving the area as quickly as possible after the work day.

ESI is long overdue for some new blood in senior leadership positions. Your employees are not happy, and there is a reason why ESI is routinely voted as one of the "worst places to work". Leadership needs to set company direction and make sure that it is followed. The constant in-fighting between the East and the West makes everyone miserable and prevents progress.

Lack of Leadership Express

Current Employee - Director in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Director in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Healthcare industry
    Weak economy
    Good opportunity ay entry levels if willing to work 60 hours per week

Cons

Merger poorly executed
    Keeps trying to use old business model which no longer works
    Keeps afloat by cutting head count so deeply people are exhausted and morale is horrible. This creates lack of vision and innovation

Stop spending so much on mediocre consulting companies at a tactical level .Hire a leader with vision and the ability to take us there. Really look at talent. Really invest in talent.

Writing is on the wall

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

We did get bonuses last year, we will probably not get those again
    I like what I do each day.
    Work life balance is not a problem for me
    The facilities are newish and pretty

Cons

Management is a mess. No reviews, one on one meetings are constantly pushed back or cancelled outright, feedback is hard to come by.
    Lay-offs always seem right around the corner.
    Overall business model is sketchy and it seems like earnings are going to keep falling, but the executives will always get their money.
    The merger with Medco was a mistake.
    Employees are numbers to management; I've been referred to as a 'budget item"
    Use of forced ranking is dehumanizing

Stop ignoring your direct reports. If you have a half an hour meeting with them, go ahead and show up.

Depends on the department your in

Former Employee - Senior Quality Assurance Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Quality Assurance Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Express Scripts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved the work that I did at express scripts. I did system testing for drugs. The work was challenging and very intetesting. Its a good way to get into healthcare because they have so many different departments and they actually train you to do the work.

Cons

I found that the team I was on didnt want to share the knowledge. I had a hard time getting my information. The communication was very bad. To many clicks. Team Members who have been there the longest think they run it. All departments are not like that, but many there are.

Management needs to manage the team and not let their favorites manage it. People are out for personal gain. Just because they have been there for a while does dont mean they are quslified to be managers. If thats the case they would be the Manager!!!!

Coverage review department

Current Employee - Prior Authorization Advocate in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Prior Authorization Advocate in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Ppl will always be in need of medication (job security), if you put your trust in a job. Benefits good, 401k, school reimbursement

Cons

Management is a joke. We just had 7 Supervisor leave the department/company within a 4 month time frame. That does not help moral. Now we have new supervisors that do not know anything. They're more like drones. Communication is lacking. We just had a shift bid in April and now have a new bid that will take affect oct. 23. In this bid we were not given our ranking, nor was our supervisors, because in the April shift bid agents with terrible stats were given great schedules and questions were asked, but no answer. I suppose we are just a # to esi. Modern day slaves. Work/life balance is a joke. When too many agents try to get out of the department at once, they put an off the books freeze on the department. One supervisor was fired for releasing this information. Nonetheless, don't trust man. My hope is in Jehovah. This battle belongs to Him.

To gain the whole world and loose your soul.

Dear Board of Directors, Please fire George Paz!

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fortune 50 company. Healthcare industry. PTO. Telecommute available.

Cons

Senior mgmt is so far from understanding their front line problems. Middle mgmt is afraid to tell them. The culture is built on fear and bully tactics. Openness is discouraged. Secrets, backstabbing, and kronyism is standard operating at ESI.
    There are unrealistic financial goals that drive flawed p&l models. You cannot grow without market share. If you don't fix your problems you will lose more clients. If you fire your SMEs you will not fix your problems.
    George Paz has no vision. He doesn't have the skills to run a company this size.

Fire George Paz
    Stop "calibrating" employees and start "encouraging" them.

Turning the Page

Current Employee - Project Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The benefits are great and extensive. The salary ranges are very competitive and they are willing to negotiate with you to remain flexible within reasonable expectations.

The culture is innovative, forward-thinking, fast-paced (seriously...it is), and open-minded. All of my previous employers acted like they valued your opinion or suggestion to improve a process, but ESI really does take it into consideration all the way up the chain before a decision is made. You have a voice here, and that's really impressed me. A plus is that the whole entire campus is brand new (2007 and newer) and state-of-the-art.

Never a dull moment or shortage of work to do. On that note, outside people hear a lot about work-life imbalance at ESI, but I just don't see that. Every single person here pulls their own weight in the same direction working toward a common goal, and nobody gripes about it. You can see people genuinely care about their work, and it's shown objectively when just about everyone regularly hits 100% or more of their annual bonus plan. I don't know about you, but I'd rather HAVE work to do than sit at my desk all day and have nothing to do (been there before, it's miserable). A lot of the mixed reviews I see are from the frustration of the constant integrating and merging of newly acquired companies' employees and processes, which is understandable, but the focus is definitely changing to efficiency and making work/life easier. I believe if there is a work-life imbalance that it is silo'd into certain departments, but it's certainly not a company-wide issue.

Cons

Not really any glaring Cons, I just think people need to socialize a little more. Everyone works hard and has the go-go-go mentality, but it wouldn't hurt to loosen up and have a little fun here and there.

Keep the company, your departments, and your leaders in the loop as to what's coming down the chute, it helps build annual goals and keep them in check. Create opportunities for employees and the culture to loosen up and take their foot off the gas pedal every once in awhile.

Express Scripts Response

Oct 17, 2014Talent Acquisition Representative

We’re glad you have found Express Scripts to be a rewarding place to work. We’re proud that many of your colleagues feel the same way.

In response to your specific comments about social
    ... More

Great fast pace work environment

Former Employee - Project Coordinator In Patient Systems Vertical in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Express Scripts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved fast paced environment ... you'll never look at your watch there. Great coworkers and work environment. Employee friendly work ethics.

Cons

Really don't have any complaints.

Keep up great work, I wish I didn't have to resign ( I moved).

Reimbursement specialist

Former Employee - Reimbursement Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Reimbursement Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Express Scripts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Medical benefits and 401K only. Good location and most of the older employees that were hired under Healthbridge are good people

Cons

Overwork your employees. Don't want to pay employees what they are worth. No advancement unless you know someone. If you care about your employees you're pushed out the door.

Need to treat your employees like human beings. ESI is not the company it used to be has drastically changed for the worse since the merge with Medco. Only think about numbers and money. Patient care is not an priority anymore.