Express Scripts

Updated September 19, 2014
2.1

Express Scripts Chairman & Chief Executive Officer George Paz
George Paz

Pros
  • Benefits are good and depending on your position you can work from home (in 43 reviews)

• Good benefits, instant vesting of company share of 401k match (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • This place has no concern for work/life balance although that's what they preach (in 76 reviews)

• There is absolutely no work/life balance because they think that your job should be your (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

183 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Completed trainee program.

Former Employee - Intern  in  Lake Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Intern in Lake Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Express Scripts as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Meet a lot of people and involved in different projects.

Cons

Lack of career development for entry level people.

Turning the Page

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time for less than a year

Pros

The benefits are great and extensive. The salary ranges are very competitive and they are willing to negotiate with you to remain flexible within reasonable expectations.

The culture is innovative, forward-thinking, fast-paced (seriously...it is), and open-minded. All of my previous employers acted like they valued your opinion or suggestion to improve a process, but ESI really does take it into consideration all the way up the chain before a decision is made. You have a voice here, and that's really impressed me. A plus is that the whole entire campus is brand new (2007 and newer) and state-of-the-art.

Never a dull moment or shortage of work to do. On that note, outside people hear a lot about work-life imbalance at ESI, but I just don't see that. Every single person here pulls their own weight in the same direction working toward a common goal, and nobody gripes about it. You can see people genuinely care about their work, and it's shown objectively when just about everyone regularly hits 100% or more of their annual bonus plan. I don't know about you, but I'd rather HAVE work to do than sit at my desk all day and have nothing to do (been there before, it's miserable). A lot of the mixed reviews I see are from the frustration of the constant integrating and merging of newly acquired companies' employees and processes, which is understandable, but the focus is definitely changing to efficiency and making work/life easier. I believe if there is a work-life imbalance that it is silo'd into certain departments, but it's certainly not a company-wide issue.

Cons

Not really any glaring Cons, I just think people need to socialize a little more. Everyone works hard and has the go-go-go mentality, but it wouldn't hurt to loosen up and have a little fun here and there.

Keep the company, your departments, and your leaders in the loop as to what's coming down the chute, it helps build annual goals and keep them in check. Create opportunities for employees and the culture to loosen up and take their foot off the gas pedal every once in awhile.

Great fast pace work environment

Former Employee - Project Coordinator In Patient Systems Vertical  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator In Patient Systems Vertical in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Express Scripts full-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved fast paced environment ... you'll never look at your watch there. Great coworkers and work environment. Employee friendly work ethics.

Cons

Really don't have any complaints.

Keep up great work, I wish I didn't have to resign ( I moved).

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Depends on the department your in

Former Employee - Senior Quality Assurance Analyst  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Quality Assurance Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Express Scripts full-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved the work that I did at express scripts. I did system testing for drugs. The work was challenging and very intetesting. Its a good way to get into healthcare because they have so many different departments and they actually train you to do the work.

Cons

I found that the team I was on didnt want to share the knowledge. I had a hard time getting my information. The communication was very bad. To many clicks. Team Members who have been there the longest think they run it. All departments are not like that, but many there are.

Management needs to manage the team and not let their favorites manage it. People are out for personal gain. Just because they have been there for a while does dont mean they are quslified to be managers. If thats the case they would be the Manager!!!!

Reimbursement specialist

Former Employee - Reimbursement Specialist  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Reimbursement Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Express Scripts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Medical benefits and 401K only. Good location and most of the older employees that were hired under Healthbridge are good people

Cons

Overwork your employees. Don't want to pay employees what they are worth. No advancement unless you know someone. If you care about your employees you're pushed out the door.

Need to treat your employees like human beings. ESI is not the company it used to be has drastically changed for the worse since the merge with Medco. Only think about numbers and money. Patient care is not an priority anymore.

Needs Work

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse Nurse Clinician  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse Nurse Clinician in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pay, decent job, excellent benefits

Cons

Poor employee management, turns blind eye to workplace bullying, not employee friendly, poor parking

Private work spaces, the new lab is a horrible place to work, treat employees better

Poor employee managament

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Express Scripts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Its a fast and rapid pace work environment - get it done is the norm here. Plenty of projects with lots of work and deadlines throughout the organization. Lots of smart people.

Cons

Organization is not really employee focused and the culture treats employees as dispensable. The employee attrition and churn are extremely high and there is not long term focus on personal growth.

Better employee management program.

Great company, lots of challenging positions

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

nice buildings, close to UMSL,

Cons

.in the ghetto, stressful environment

Pressure, politics, stress... Oh my!

Current Employee - Director, Account Management  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Director, Account Management in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They pay decent, good bonus

Cons

High stress, highly competitive environment, no appreciation for work life balance, year end performance reviews are cut throat. even if you are a high performer employees are force ranked into threshold, target and stretch ratings. So what that means is if everyone performs the same someone is still forced into threshold which means no bonus. So it basically comes down to who sucks up the most.

Reward for hard work, appreciate your people

Very disappointed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice facilities to work is the best part of working there. Sad to say.

Cons

Poor leadership. Corporate employees have no idea what goes on in the field operations this includes senior management.

Get over yourselves. You're not that smart.

Worked for Express Scripts? Contribute to the Community!