Express Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
1.9
David G. Kornberg

Pros
  • Great discount-35-45 percent off (in 55 reviews)

• Semi-decent discount on product when there is an additional employee discount (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Getting paid minimum wage for this job was insulting (in 79 reviews)

• No work life balance -only work (in 28 reviews)

1. Good work experience, a very fast paced job working with friendly co-workers

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Tukwila, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Tukwila, WA

I worked at Express

Pros

Good fashion clothing and a good team atmosphere

Cons

Very fast-paced, limited hours and not enough hours scheduled weekly

Advice to Management

Give employees more hours and manage peoples schedule better

2. Express Inc doesn't care about you.

Former Employee - Co-Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Co-Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only pro: Good Music.

Cons

Salaried co-managers get half pay after working over 40 hours. This policy should be illegal. Associates start out at minimum wage for the most part. Most associates could not live on that rate, so our retention rate was over 100%. "Now Hiring" sign never left the window. Store manager would never give 15 minutes that is required by law. Even after SM being reported, nothing changed despite corporate receiving an anonymous complaint. Let's just say after 10 naïve years in the retail industry, I quit retail forever. Express Inc proved to me that most retailers just copy the same business model from each other. They do so by paying their associates pennies, shipping jobs overseas to have their clothes made in Bangladesh sweatshops, so Express executives and shareholders can keep all the money for themselves. All at the expense to those that actually make this business possible. PEOPLE

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more and stop hoarding all the money for yourselves. Without labor you wouldn't have a business.

3. Overworked and underpaid

I worked at Express part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros to list, most of the time the promotions are better than the employee discount and can't be combined .

Cons

Extremely overworked just to be paid minimum wage. Very overwhelming because there is no proper training. The clothes are constantly changing so it is hard to ever know your inventory and also because the store is so big. Forced to harass every single customer that walks through the door while more than half of the time the customer doesnt even want your help. You are also forced to memorize the promotions of the day and tell the customer about all of them as they're walking away from you, uninterested. Closing is the worst, you have one hour to fold everything in the entire store by yourself on top of taking out the trash, putting holds/damages in the back, putting sensors back, putting hangers back. There is not enough time , and they also want it done PERFECTLY neat. Its miserable and impossible ! Just another big corporation working their employees like dogs while they make millions. I thought I would love this job because I liked shopping there. NO!

Advice to Management

Pay what the job is worth. It's worth at least $15 an hour. PROPERLY TRAIN. Also, don't force your employees to harass every customer. Though even with all of that, this job still is miserable.

5. Typical retail job

I worked at Express part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Was taught the finer details of doing retail

Cons

it's retail, not much else to say.

Advice to Management

Super retail

Poorly managed with no respect for hourly associates.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tukwila, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tukwila, WA

I worked at Express part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hard to find any pros... Impossible tasks are given to be able to earn anything. "If you sign 10 people up for the store card, you get a $40 shirt."

Cons

No respect from management. Any problems taken to HR are swept under the rug making you feel as though you have no voice in the matter.

Advice to Management

Realize you don't make the company go around. The people making minimum wage are the ones who are making you money. Without them you wouldn't be getting your fat check...

This company does not care about their customers.

I worked at Express part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discount on good clothing. Friendly co-workers, easy on boarding process.

Cons

Store is a wreck most of the time. Management only cares about signing customers up for credit cards.

Advice to Management

There is no reason for anyone to have a credit card for this store.

8. It was alright

Former Employee - Sale Associate in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Sale Associate in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Express part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It wasn't commission based so it was a great place to make friends. Other sale associates were really helpful as well as managers. Managers are good at reminding sale associates to take their break on time.

Cons

Too short of a break. High expectation for just a minimum wage. Always have to leave 2 hours after what said on the schedule. Let's say the schedule said I was supposed to leave at 9, I actually had to stay and clean up until 11:45pm on a Sunday. The mall closed at 7pm. Because of this reason, I decided to look for a different company.

Advice to Management

None

poor pay no life balance

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Express part-time (More than a year)

Pros

discount but only once awhile. clothes are pretty

Cons

long working hour, less pay

Advice to Management

be more understandable

10. ehh

I worked at Express part-time

Pros

- 30% discount for PT is great! - Some of the sales leads I worked with were wonderful, sweet people. - Started as Seasonal sales associate and was kept on, so that's a plus!

Cons

- It's retail. - Pushing the credit card is ridiculous - not only do customers NOT WANT the card (we even had a review posted in the back where a customer explicitly told us to stop offering the card), but it is outrageous to penalize your employees with reduced scheduling for not signing up customers. - Felt extremely uncomfortable working with some employees, but felt uncomfortable confronting the manager because I felt that I would receive backlash in some form or another. - Closing shifts are horrible. No, the store does not need to be perfectly folded after close because it will just get destroyed again the next day. - Unrealistic sales expectations & you get chastised for not making numbers. - If you are not a manger's favorite you will not get the schedule you want. - Little to no training - I had to figure out everything on my own, and get penalized for not knowing things 3 months after I was hired. Sorry, but it isn't my fault that no one had the time to teach me!

Advice to Management

- Start commission! It would help with your sales, and it would give employees incentive to sell more. - TRAIN YOUR SALES ASSOCIATES. It is ludicrous to assume that employees will know every facet of the store if you do not take the time to formally train them. - Eliminate the credit card; at the very least, eliminate the pressure to sign people up for one more card that they do not need.

11. A good enough part-time college job

I worked at Express part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a discount, good people to work with, and often very nice clothes to work with and buy. I wouldn't recommend working there full time though.

Cons

Not very good pay, hours can be very random, and often not enough people working to cover the entire store, so you have to spread yourself thin.

Advice to Management

Better pay, or allow a commission.

Showing 10 of 1,010 reviews