Express

Updated July 29, 2014
3.2

Express President & CEO Michael A. Weiss
Michael A. Weiss

Pros
  • Great discount, fun fast paced environment, diverse group, great rewards for top performers (in 55 reviews)

• Semi-decent discount on product when there is an additional employee discount (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • I don't like minimum wage and sometimes it can get really hectic with customers (in 79 reviews)

• Work Life Balance: Don't expect to take lunch and dont expect to be home in time for dinner (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It was alright

Former Employee - Sale Associate in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Sale Associate in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Express part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It wasn't commission based so it was a great place to make friends. Other sale associates were really helpful as well as managers. Managers are good at reminding sale associates to take their break on time.

Cons

Too short of a break. High expectation for just a minimum wage. Always have to leave 2 hours after what said on the schedule. Let's say the schedule said I was supposed to leave at 9, I actually had to stay and clean up until 11:45pm on a Sunday. The mall closed at 7pm. Because of this reason, I decided to look for a different company.

None

Poorly managed with no respect for hourly associates.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tukwila, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tukwila, WA

I worked at Express part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Hard to find any pros... Impossible tasks are given to be able to earn anything. "If you sign 10 people up for the store card, you get a $40 shirt."

Cons

No respect from management. Any problems taken to HR are swept under the rug making you feel as though you have no voice in the matter.

Realize you don't make the company go around. The people making minimum wage are the ones who are making you money. Without them you wouldn't be getting your fat check...

This company does not care about their customers.

I worked at Express part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discount on good clothing. Friendly co-workers, easy on boarding process.

Cons

Store is a wreck most of the time. Management only cares about signing customers up for credit cards.

There is no reason for anyone to have a credit card for this store.

poor pay no life balance

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Express part-time (more than an year)

Pros

discount but only once awhile. clothes are pretty

Cons

long working hour, less pay

be more understandable

ehh

I worked at Express part-time

Pros

- 30% discount for PT is great!
    - Some of the sales leads I worked with were wonderful, sweet people.
    - Started as Seasonal sales associate and was kept on, so that's a plus!

Cons

- It's retail.
    - Pushing the credit card is ridiculous - not only do customers NOT WANT the card (we even had a review posted in the back where a customer explicitly told us to stop offering the card), but it is outrageous to penalize your employees with reduced scheduling for not signing up customers.
    - Felt extremely uncomfortable working with some employees, but felt uncomfortable confronting the manager because I felt that I would receive backlash in some form or another.
    - Closing shifts are horrible. No, the store does not need to be perfectly folded after close because it will just get destroyed again the next day.
    - Unrealistic sales expectations & you get chastised for not making numbers.
    - If you are not a manger's favorite you will not get the schedule you want.
    - Little to no training - I had to figure out everything on my own, and get penalized for not knowing things 3 months after I was hired. Sorry, but it isn't my fault that no one had the time to teach me!

- Start commission! It would help with your sales, and it would give employees incentive to sell more.
    - TRAIN YOUR SALES ASSOCIATES. It is ludicrous to assume that employees will know every facet of the store if you do not take the time to formally train them.
    - Eliminate the credit card; at the very least, eliminate the pressure to sign people up for one more card that they do not need.

A good enough part-time college job

I worked at Express part-time (less than an year)

Pros

There is a discount, good people to work with, and often very nice clothes to work with and buy. I wouldn't recommend working there full time though.

Cons

Not very good pay, hours can be very random, and often not enough people working to cover the entire store, so you have to spread yourself thin.

Better pay, or allow a commission.

Express Photos