Exsilio Consulting Reviews

3.3
Bryan Baker

1. Exsilio is cutting edge

I have been working at Exsilio Consulting

Pros

Exsilio is a more “vertical” computer consulting firm than many others that I have worked for, in that they have a full-fledged creative department and marketing arms as well coders and database developers. In this way, Exsilio can provide EVERYTHING to its clients. Also, their virtual workspace, Orange Studios, looks like it will be a profitable venture as well. This is definitely an exciting place to work and one where you will learn a lot and be a better coder. As far as some of the other ancillary topics that have been covered on Glassdoor, I would say the COO Scott Kerfoot has really brought a level of professionalism and vision to Exsilio that promises a bright future for the “brand”, Exsilio Solutions.

Cons

This is a consulting firm; make no mistake, with all that goes with that, but if you want to learn new technologies on the job and be on the cutting edge, you kind of have to be a part of the consulting universe.

Advice to Management

Keep up the "hands on" mgmt from the COO. His communication of expectations and company culture is invaluable to making Exsilio a good place to work.

2. Oh boy, Exsilio is one of those companies you get stuck at once, maybe twice in your lifetime

Former Employee - Software Developer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Exsilio Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Same as few other reviewers already mentioned: some cool and smart people, small company atmosphere, flexible work hours.

Cons

Almost everything else, very bad MISmanagement and MIScommunication at all levels. They'll work you to death and yet pay you way below the market rate. They are actually doing what many smaller consulting shops do: they tend to hire lots of junior developers (did I mention already that they pay them below market rate?) and bill clients senior consultant rate for their work, all while keeping most of the revenue for themselves and giving employees very little whether it is in salary increases or bonuses...Hopefully, you get the picture here. Lastly, piece of advice, if you get an offer letter, make sure that bonus language is not vague (i.e. it is explicitly stated)...they definitely tend to get you there...

Advice to Management

Hire new management at all levels. Make sure that everyone goes through HR training all over again, especially the CEO. Treat your employees better since they are the core of your company. Also, yelling at and berating your employees out in the open is pretty annoying, childish, and not helpful at all to anyone (whether it is management or employees). Someone mentioned new COO, as one of the few good things in the whole company - he is indeed a nice guy, however, I personally did not see much of a great leadership from him that could help steer this company on the right path. If anything, that will take some time to happen. I actually felt that at times COO's efforts to improve things have been undermined by those above him. Lastly, have to say that it seems to me that the most recent review titled "Cutting Edge" has actually been written by Exsilio in order to bolster its credentials and reputation on glassdoor.com.

Good place to get a cutting edge education in .NET & dev tools

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Exsilio Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people who do the work here are great, really care. You will almost always be using cutting edge tools. Free soda and snacks.

Cons

Every thing else! Micro management, threatening environment, performance judged only base on what the owner could do not with jr devs can do...

Advice to Management

You need a process and need to trust the process.

5. Not the place for you if you're not into fun, dogs, longish hours and/or consulting

Current Employee - Software Tester in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Software Tester in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Exsilio Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'll be real. I do software. I enjoy software. I like to grind. I'm not here for a nine-to-five, I'm here to build a career and win. That said, I'm not about to wear a uniform, park my face in a cubicle and call it a life. I want to work for passionate people on cool projects. I don't mind extra hours. I don't mind tight deadlines.

TL;DR:
    1. Passionate about IT
    2. You work with very competent people
    3. Company cruise
    4. Very competitive compensation
    5. Great coworkers
    6. Nerf wars
    7. Ping-pong table

Cons

1. Room for growth in operations, but things have improved in orders of magnitude since I've been here. The COO and the HR manager have A LOT to do with that.
    2. Deadlines can be hectic
    3. Longer hours
    4. You can't be a fun hater.

6. Meh!

Former Employee - Database Developer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Database Developer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Exsilio Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and great co-workers, along with the opportunity to work with the latest software suite. Free drinks and snacks.

Cons

Lots of employee turnover. Micro-management from the CEO is terrible and completely undercuts the project managers. This leads to poor work prioritization and the environment of reactionary development. While their compensation is great, you'll have to keep an eye on it yourself because they are financially inept. Many examples of errors in pay or forgetting to deposit your funds into your 401k!

Advice to Management

It is never OK to get an employee's pay wrong. There is no quicker way to losing the trust of your employees.

7. Great place but not for every one

Current Employee - Software Developer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Exsilio Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful and passionate team
    Fun office culture
    Utilizes latest technologies
    Great growth potential
    Good benefits

Cons

Like most consulting companies, deadlines can sometimes be tight
    No for people that just want to put in 9 to 5

Advice to Management

Management is getting better at being more communicative with direction and future plans of the company. But should also be more diligent on providing feedback on how teams and employees are doing.

8. A nice place to work

I have been working at Exsilio Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, most of the projects are very interesting and upward mobility.

Cons

hours can be very demanding, but they do provide comp days for when it gets really crazy.

9. Made Important Changes in Management

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Exsilio Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exsilio has recently made some key changes in upper management, resulting in a much more organized, transparent, accountable and decisive company. Adding an HR manager was a great move.

Cons

Everyone should be accountable - even owners, when things go wrong.

10. They are what they appear to be

I worked at Exsilio Consulting

Pros

Good benefits, Friendly people, average salary

Cons

Terrible Management, Horrible HR department, Everything is blown out of proportion, No leadership, They talk poorly about other companies in the area and then turn around and do the same thing, Spouses working for each other

Advice to Management

Have someone with management experience come and run your company, you don’t know what you are doing.

11. Great management. Lots of fun on the team

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Exsilio Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Challenging projects that keep me engaged and interested in my industry. Always willing to listen to their employees. Great sense of friendship.

Cons

Office could be a little nicer. Sometimes feels a little disorganized.

RSS Feed </> Embed