Extend Health

Updated February 19, 2015
Updated February 19, 2015
2.7

Bryce Williams

Pros
  • Loved the work environment, everyone including the managers are very approachable (in 5 reviews)

• They have an excellent training program for Benefit Advisors (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Most of the people who treated the customers poorly and forced one plan onto the customer were offered full time jobs (in 9 reviews)

• Those of us who treated them like we would treat our own family were eventually let go (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

If you play their games you can advance

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

I worked at Extend Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Overall they are willing to work with you for getting time off for personal actions. It can be a friendly atmosphere and the training department has gotten a lot better.

Cons

Unless you play the political games they will play you like the pon that you are. Management will say and make promises that they will later deny.

Advance your good people and keep them in the departments that they excel in, rather than sending them out the door with an "End of Assignment" (EOA) notice. Promote your long term employees rather than continuing to hire the wrong person for the position.

best place ever

I have been working at Extend Health

Pros

pay, hours, bonuses, schedule coworkers, food and managers

Cons

it is a seasonal position

stop being afraid to let employees know when their time is up.

Pleasant Experience

I worked at Extend Health

Pros

Good training program. My reason for taking this temporary assignment was because I wanted a career change. I enjoyed the intense training and the coworkers. They have prepared me for my new direction.

Cons

I didn't like hearing the pressure that was put on some of the customers by the marketers near me. They were just trying to get their numbers up for the monthly bonus.

I appreciate the comments and encouragement from our supervisors. They were very supportive.

Plan on staying temporary...

Former Employee - Healthcare Benefits Advisor in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Healthcare Benefits Advisor in Richardson, TX

I worked at Extend Health

Pros

I gained experience in the insurance industry, great knowledge of Medicare and Affordable Care Act plans, customer service and call center experience.

Helping people get insurance is very satisfying.

Cons

Lack of: organization, training, systems that work, communication

This is a call center. Everything you do is timed and counted.

On the phone, employees are to portray OE as a professional company that cares about the individual. Off the phone, employees are treated as though they are disposable.

Very, very few people are made full time employees. There are people who have worked here for years who are still considered temporary, and can be laid off at any moment. They have a "lay off schedule" that is made weeks in advance, but they do not inform employees of this to allow them to begin searching for jobs. The constant fear of being laid off makes for a sad and stressful work environment.

Train your employees. Don't launch programs until you are ready. Invest in your employees, and they'll invest in you. Reward and retain talent.

Extremely Unprofessional, Lack of Consistency, Poorly trained Supervisors, and Illegally passing Certifications.

Former Employee - Seasonal Benefit Advisor in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Seasonal Benefit Advisor in Richardson, TX

I worked at Extend Health part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of knowledge in a short period of time - good coverage poor supervision.

Cons

Supervisors - Unprofessional, poorly trained if at all, play favorites. No consistency between any two supervisors. Some of the supervisors are not licensed and don't do certifications. Their understanding of the problems faced by the people they supervise is unknown and they have no compassion or willingness to understand - every issue is solved by asking for documentation which is never used but only requested to throw up a road block to fix anything. They do not care for their people and they only have contempt for the senior citizens that call in. The Supervisors for the most part are only there to collect a paycheck.

SSC - Multiple problems on a regular basis. Very slow to be fixed by anyone - most people blame the Benefit Advisors no matter what the problem is. The real problem is that the Supervisors do not understand the problems that exist with the SSC and the Supervisors only want to blame the Benefit Advisors - they as a group are too unwilling to listen and really dont understand any of the problems. Its a wonder the system stays open and does not crash more often. The only fix would be to shut down the system and do a complete overhaul but then that would not be possible as the system runs 24/7 and shutting it down would dip into their profits.

Bonus System - The illusive bonus system cant be explained by any two supervisors consistently - according to them everything affects your bonus. The reality is that the highest bonuses go to the people who sell the most and is usually predetermined at the beginning of each month. Customer service has nothing to do with your bonus. In fact you are penalized for taking too much time on the phone to explain anything to the senior citizens.

Certifications - This is a requirement that most Supervisors do not have to do. If a certification test is taken and not passed, you are required to contact Cert Cental for "assistance". The assistance you receive is to share your screen and pick your answer but not enter your answer until you get an "I agree" from the Certification Mentor. If CMS or the Insurance Carriers knew how the certifications were completed at One Exchange - One Exchange would be shut down immediately. The lack of knowledge on the part of some of the Benefit Advisors is easily explained when you understand how the Certifications are passed.

SHAME on you for constantly lying to your employees and perpetuating an environment that rewards dishonest employees and poor supervisors. DOUBLE SHAME on you for allowing and rewarding people for abusing the senior citizens by having your people sell then plans they don't understand. It is obvious the only thing you care about is your bottom line profit. You do not give a damn about your employees or the senior citizens you serve. I hope some day when you reach retirement age you experience the same treatment you are responsible for now.

Benefit advisor

Current Employee - Licensed Benefit Advisor in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Licensed Benefit Advisor in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Extend Health

Pros

Lots of knowledge good environment

Cons

You'll never be permenant ! Does not value employees. Once you have been loyal to them they act as if they don't care.

You have lots of tools to be the best call center in Texas. Remember that if you treat your employees bad it will affect your customers and clients which will eventually cause a loss in revenue! Word of mouth can be detremental when common issues are mentioned excessively.

GREAT COMPANY

Former Contractor - Seasonal Benefit Advisor in Richardson, TX
    Former Contractor - Seasonal Benefit Advisor in Richardson, TX

I worked at Extend Health as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Really great company to work for. Very laid back

Cons

Not guaranteed to be permanent

Management needs more knowledge of what's going on because they don't know more then us

Customer Service Call Center

Former Employee - Customer Service in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Richardson, TX

I worked at Extend Health

Pros

Working with Senior Citizens helping on selecting their Medicare plans.

Cons

Few of Senior wasn't sure was plan to select, also not sure to give you there provide Information to enroll.

I know working in a call center, you would have a certain amount of time on a call.. With Senior know rushing, They will fell more confident about the call, to give them the correct information,The first call should be the only call, so they don't have to call back to speck with another Rep..

This Place is a Joke

Current Employee - Developer/Designer in South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Developer/Designer in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at Extend Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There is nothing that I would consider to be a pro by working at this company except getting to leave at the end of the day.

Cons

• IT Department is horrible to work with.
    • You have to fight for every little thing you need to accomplish the job you have and 99.9% of the time, you won't get it.
    • Managers only care about themselves.
    • Underpaid in every position even though this company is backed by Towers Watson.
    • The building leaks in the middle of the room of the bottom floors (2 story building) constantly when it rains.

Promote those who actually deserve and have experience in management.
    Actually pay employees what they are worth.
    Hire those who are here year round full time.

No Way!

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Extend Health full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Its easy money. Lots of opportunities to make extra money through overtime and bonuses.

Cons

Its is ghetto. There is no interview process, no job requirements, no drug tests or anything. . There are 18 year olds working here. Its like highschool in here.

Stop hiring every person that walks in off the street. And please do pre employment drug screeens.