Extend Health

Updated October 3, 2014
Updated October 3, 2014
3.1

Bryce Williams

Pros
  • Loved the work environment, everyone including the managers are very approachable (in 5 reviews)

• They have an excellent training program for Benefit Advisors (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Most of the people who treated the customers poorly and forced one plan onto the customer were offered full time jobs (in 9 reviews)

• Those of us who treated them like we would treat our own family were eventually let go (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great job, but still a Temporary employee without benefits after over a year of continuous employment!

Current Employee - Special Situation Team Benefit Advisor in South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Special Situation Team Benefit Advisor in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at Extend Health as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

1. Great environment
    2. Casual dress-code
    3. Great pay + Bonuses
    4. Flexible schedules
    5. Excellent training

Cons

1. NO BENEFITS
    2. NO PERMANENT POSITION

PLEASE HIRE YOUR BENEFIT ADVISORS AS FULL-TIME, PERMANENT, BENEFITED EMPLOYEES :)

Bottom line....You're a "temp".

Current Employee - Seasonal Benefit Advisor in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Extend Health as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pluses of the job are that everyone is friendly and the environment is great. Working on the phones with the elderly is very rewarding because you know you have helped them.

Cons

I have been with Extend Health, now Towers Watson One Exchange for 3 seasons. It amazes me that Towers Watson professes to be a company that is always striving to improve "employee engagement" and they consult with their clients on how to improve "employee engagement", yet they have a company like ours where they hire thousands of "temps" each year with no intention of offering people full time positions.

It is EXTREMELY easy to be hired at Extend Health. You merely need to pass the insurance exam, if you have not already, and you need to be unemployed. I say Unemployed, because who in their right mind would leave a permanent position to become a "temp" at One Exchange. So please consider while there are many professionals who are unemployed, there are also people who are unemployed for a reason. So hiring only from the "unemployed" pool puts you at a disadvantage from the get go.

They spend SO much money on training. It really boggles my mind that it could cost less money to fire and rehire and retrain people every year than it would cost to keep people, invest in them, and develop them into top performers.

Hire your people. Quit SAYING they are valued and SHOW them they are valued.

Not bad, get life & health license

Current Employee - Seasonal Benefit Advisor in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Extend Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

People are great, clean place, spacious, pay is okay, you get licensed in many states. Bonus is good if you meet the goal.

Cons

Parking is terrible, ride the train if your can. Crowded in the break rooms, traffic is horrible if you don't live in Richardson. Takes 1 1/2 hours to get to work

Treat everyone as disposable monkeys

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in South Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in South Jordan, UT

I worked at Extend Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

High pay for a job that requires no experience
    If you're good at what you do and you're consistent, you will likely be recognized and moved up the ranks quickly

Cons

People in management who have no business being there... and they've been there for years
    High-stress with no pay-off
    Constant pressure to be on the phones. The workforce department was constantly changing rules to make it more difficult for our stats to accurately and fairly reflect how hard most of us worked
    Will hire pretty much anyone off the street
    Training was an absolute joke. It was a week long and our trainer was someone who had never actually worked in the position he was training our class for, and then they sent us out on the floor on the first day of enrollment season on a wing and a prayer
    High turnover rate
    Always reminded employees that their jobs were seasonal and only a few would be offered permanent positions at the end of the season, which discouraged most employees from really working their hardest

Rushed, understaffed, under-trained employees

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sandy, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sandy, UT

I worked at Extend Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fast interview and hire process

Cons

Lack of trained managers and leaders, inadequate equipment, slow process and no one has any authority to make any decisions.

Hire more qualified employees, might want to consider paying more to attract a higher caliber of employee.

Sweat shop for insurance policies

I worked at Extend Health as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

none I can really think of

Cons

You really don't feel optimistic

stop lying

Great!

I have been working at Extend Health

Pros

nice transition job, decent pay

Cons

temporary, nothing really else bad to say

Good Company, Not for Everybody

Former Employee - Benefit Advisor in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Benefit Advisor in Richardson, TX

I worked at Extend Health (less than an year)

Pros

Pay was decent at $15/hr & you received your full 40 hrs. They sponsored my L&H License, helped with getting certified with different carriers. Training was very informative & to the point.

Cons

No overtime, & minimal bonus, job was always seasonal, made false promises. AVerage phone call was 2 hours long. In an 8 hour shift I would do at the most 4-6 consults/enrollments.

Invest more into your employees so that they will stick around & your business will be more profitable

HR and management staff lack professionalism.

Former Employee - Customer Service in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Richardson, TX

I worked at Extend Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy to get a job there. No interview process, which is bad because anyone can get a job there, even people who should not be working in an office environment.

Cons

Because it's so easy to get a job there you end up working with low class, unprofessional people who act like they've never worked in an office before. If you want to go in and screw off all day without getting fired, this is the job for you!

Hire an ethical HR person who knows what they're doing.

A great company that believes in its employees and give them the ability to flourish.

Former Employee - Licensed Benefit Advisor in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Licensed Benefit Advisor in Richardson, TX

I worked at Extend Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Can move up relatively quickly within the hierarchy, leadership will train you and help where needed, catering and other bonus incentives provided, rewards those with determination, and are very supportive/willing to help to properly answer customer questions.

Cons

Seasonal workforce that can cause volatility and also may result in lower ranking for a temporary amount of time. During these times morale can be especially low at the office.

Reward those that work hard and use positive reinforcement. Not be as concerned about removing those workers that are not doing their job and use that money to create a more stable job environment.