Extend Health

Updated January 30, 2015
Updated January 30, 2015
2.7

Bryce Williams

Pros
  • Loved the work environment, everyone including the managers are very approachable (in 5 reviews)

• They have an excellent training program for Benefit Advisors (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Most of the people who treated the customers poorly and forced one plan onto the customer were offered full time jobs (in 9 reviews)

• Those of us who treated them like we would treat our own family were eventually let go (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Pleasant Experience

I worked at Extend Health

Pros

Good training program. My reason for taking this temporary assignment was because I wanted a career change. I enjoyed the intense training and the coworkers. They have prepared me for my new direction.

Cons

I didn't like hearing the pressure that was put on some of the customers by the marketers near me. They were just trying to get their numbers up for the monthly bonus.

I appreciate the comments and encouragement from our supervisors. They were very supportive.

Plan on staying temporary...

Former Employee - Healthcare Benefits Advisor in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Healthcare Benefits Advisor in Richardson, TX

I worked at Extend Health

Pros

I gained experience in the insurance industry, great knowledge of Medicare and Affordable Care Act plans, customer service and call center experience.

Helping people get insurance is very satisfying.

Cons

Lack of: organization, training, systems that work, communication

This is a call center. Everything you do is timed and counted.

On the phone, employees are to portray OE as a professional company that cares about the individual. Off the phone, employees are treated as though they are disposable.

Very, very few people are made full time employees. There are people who have worked here for years who are still considered temporary, and can be laid off at any moment. They have a "lay off schedule" that is made weeks in advance, but they do not inform employees of this to allow them to begin searching for jobs. The constant fear of being laid off makes for a sad and stressful work environment.

Train your employees. Don't launch programs until you are ready. Invest in your employees, and they'll invest in you. Reward and retain talent.

Benefit advisor

Current Employee - Licensed Benefit Advisor in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Licensed Benefit Advisor in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Extend Health

Pros

Lots of knowledge good environment

Cons

You'll never be permenant ! Does not value employees. Once you have been loyal to them they act as if they don't care.

You have lots of tools to be the best call center in Texas. Remember that if you treat your employees bad it will affect your customers and clients which will eventually cause a loss in revenue! Word of mouth can be detremental when common issues are mentioned excessively.

Customer Service Call Center

Former Employee - Customer Service in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Richardson, TX

I worked at Extend Health

Pros

Working with Senior Citizens helping on selecting their Medicare plans.

Cons

Few of Senior wasn't sure was plan to select, also not sure to give you there provide Information to enroll.

I know working in a call center, you would have a certain amount of time on a call.. With Senior know rushing, They will fell more confident about the call, to give them the correct information,The first call should be the only call, so they don't have to call back to speck with another Rep..

GREAT COMPANY

Former Employee - Seasonal Benefit Advisor in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Seasonal Benefit Advisor in Richardson, TX

I worked at Extend Health as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Really great company to work for. Very laid back

Cons

Not guaranteed to be permanent

Management needs more knowledge of what's going on because they don't know more then us

This Place is a Joke

Current Employee - Developer/Designer in South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Developer/Designer in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at Extend Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There is nothing that I would consider to be a pro by working at this company except getting to leave at the end of the day.

Cons

• IT Department is horrible to work with.
    • You have to fight for every little thing you need to accomplish the job you have and 99.9% of the time, you won't get it.
    • Managers only care about themselves.
    • Underpaid in every position even though this company is backed by Towers Watson.
    • The building leaks in the middle of the room of the bottom floors (2 story building) constantly when it rains.

Promote those who actually deserve and have experience in management.
    Actually pay employees what they are worth.
    Hire those who are here year round full time.

No Way!

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Extend Health full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Its easy money. Lots of opportunities to make extra money through overtime and bonuses.

Cons

Its is ghetto. There is no interview process, no job requirements, no drug tests or anything. . There are 18 year olds working here. Its like highschool in here.

Stop hiring every person that walks in off the street. And please do pre employment drug screeens.

Short-term job

I worked at Extend Health full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Helping seniors understand and choose the right Medicare plan offers a sense of doing good.. Job is easy to get. Work is easy once you learn the process.

Cons

Temps are second-class employees. Management is unprofessional. Very little communication of what is required to advance. People are let go suddenly without rhyme or reason.

Good experience/seasonal employ

I worked at Extend Health

Pros

Potlucks to the max, nice people, typical call center

Cons

No overtime, no benefits, very few get bonus!

Always dangling the carrot.

Former Employee - Level II Benefit Advisor in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Level II Benefit Advisor in Richardson, TX

I worked at Extend Health as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

If I had to choose between working here or belly-crawling naked over broken glass and hot coals, I might prefer the Extend job, depending on whether or not the belly-crawling offered insurance.

Cons

It is a soul-sucking environment that abruptly discards you after telling you how wonderful you are. I have worked three seasons since 2012, including a full off-season in 2014 during which the possibility of permanent employment was constantly dangled in front of me but never realized--I would hear "they'll make you permanent in February," and then I would hear "May," and then "October." Even after eighteen straight months of doing very excellent work and ranking #1 in my "pod" for positive customer feedback, I was discarded at season's end in favor of less-experienced BAs who were selling more plans because they were given licenses in states where more of our clients are concentrated, making it impossible for me to keep up the pace and still provide sensitive customer service to seniors who are often bewildered and very intimidated by the whole process. On many occasions I have received calls from customers who originally enrolled through these less-experienced employees but had no idea what they had enrolled in or what their coverages were because the BA did not take the time to truly assess their needs and make sure they understood the process. It is clear that the only thing that matters to this company is the immediate numbers. Now the chickens are coming home to roost--large off-season clients they had hoped to land to keep more of us employed (and earn more commissions from our efforts) have pulled the plug after hearing horror stories from previous clients. This is only going to get worse as long as they continue their illogical and penny-wise-pound-foolish business practices.

In October of 2014 I was "offered" insurance because they were required by law to offer minimal (read: Obamacare) insurance to employees who had been there more than twelve months. The insurance offered was ridiculous. Permanent employees of this company have excellent benefits. What I was offered would have cost a quarter of my income between the premiums and deductibles, which I obviously could not afford on my glorious hourly pay--and since the plan would not have been effective until January, there was no point in enrolling even if I could afford it because I had no guarantee of a permanent job.

Based on the average commission an insurance company pays to an agency or agent for selling a Medicare Advantage or supplement plan, I calculate that I have made roughly $1 million in revenue for this company over the past three years and have been paid peanuts for it.

As you have probably seen in other reviews from current and former employees, the company is riddled with unprofessional managers, unprofessional employees, misinformation, inadequate training, broken promises, favoritism, reverse discrimination, and a propensity for hiring anyone who can pass the insurance license exam even if they can't pass an IQ test. This year's crop of new BAs was particularly disturbing--while there were many bright and ambitious people hired, they seemed to be in the minority. I lost count of the number of customers I spoke to who had spoken to two, sometimes three other BAs and received such horrible customer service that they were ready to throw in the towel. Many of these old folks had a terrible time understanding the reps they talked to. More than once (probably at least two or three times per week) customers would thank me for speaking in a manner they could understand. This is terrible--bad customer service, if it happens at all, should be so rare as to be inconsequential. At Extend Health/One Exchange, it is a regular occurrence, and customers are essentially rolling the dice every time they call. This past season was worse than the previous two.

I busted my tail for this company--for the customers--for three years, and have nothing to show for it except the prospect of being re-hired in the summer to prepare for the next season and endure more of the same garbage. I am working very hard to find a permanent job with benefits so I don't have to go back. This past season is evidence that they have no intention of changing their policies or practices to secure good, dependable, articulate, educated, and professional people who will do the job right and increase the company's long-term viability in the marketplace. The only thing that matters to them, apparently, is the immediate bottom line; a rapidly-growing list of dissatisfied customers and frustrated, burned-out employees who can only be replaced by people who think like telemarketers doesn't seem to bother them.

1. Quality over quantity. You're killing the geese who lay the golden eggs for you. Hire AND RETAIN quality professional people by offering more than token benefits.

2. Encourage clients to spread their participants' losses of group coverage out over the whole year in equal segments. You can retain more permanent, quality employees this way and mitigate the chaotic logjam at the beginning of the annual enrollment season. While this would reduce customers' opportunities to change their plans, having more professional BAs to assist them will save the customers a lot of headaches and they will be more likely to be satisfied with the plans they choose the first time. It's always cheaper to do it right the first time.

3. Quit hiring stupid people! Require something more of applicants than being able to pass the insurance exam with a minimal score. Test their speaking and telephone skills--if they can't make themselves understood with good grammar and diction, DON'T HIRE THEM. Set a higher standard! Also, if they can't type a coherent sentence, DON'T HIRE THEM. I found some of the notes left by other BAs and CSRs in the system to be incomprehensible and useless with regard to what the customers had already discussed, and I had to subject the customers to a lot of the same questions they had already answered, which almost always annoyed them.

4. A person who has been a productive BA is not always a good candidate to be a supervisor just because he/she sold a lot of plans. Promote people with actual management training and experience and a demonstrated knack for people skills.

5. Lengthen the time for training new employees to at least three weeks instead of one. And don't be afraid to FIRE people who don't pay attention in class--they will only hurt the company when they get out on the call center floor and screw up.

6. Require more credentials for training team members. Too many of them DO NOT KNOW HOW TO TEACH EFFECTIVELY.

7. Some of the people we were required to ping when we had a question about a plan or procedure don't know any more than the BAs they were hired to help. Whether this is because of poor training or a lack of resource information, I'm not sure--but on many occasions the help desk person did not understand the issue or my question and gave me a cut-and-paste answer that had nothing to do with the problem I was trying to resolve for the customer. This wasted a lot of time and lowered the quality of the customer's experience.