Extended Stay America

Updated September 15, 2014
Updated September 15, 2014
2.2

Jim Donald

Pros
  • Great perk is that you get 7 free nights at any Extended stay hotel in the country (in 4 reviews)

• The pay is decent and the work is not too challenging (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is low considering the amount of work required but the shift goes by quickly, and it is a lot of fun as a part time job (in 7 reviews)

• Skeleton staff to run your property and very little support from upper management (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

WASTE OF TIME

Former Employee - Business Development Manager  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Extended Stay America full-time for less than a year

Pros

beautiful area, location, great business model

Cons

leadership was unclear, lack of training kept me in the dark, old timey culture

know YOUR role and present clear, concise objectives

Front Desk/Team Lead/Management

Former Employee - Team Lead, Front Desk  in  Valencia, CA
    Former Employee - Team Lead, Front Desk in Valencia, CA

I worked at Extended Stay America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you want to learn what hospitality is all about, then this is the place. Front desk to management position, we learn how to do everything from laundry to managing the hotel on our own when the managers are not available, making quick and precise decisions to make customers happy. If you work at another hotel (bigger chain, and although it pays better) you only have one job duty. Other bigger chains have duties and managers for individual responsibilities, which doesn't let you go out of the box to experience other part of the hospitality.

Cons

The pay is really low. Luckily when i started as a front desk (guest service rep) i got $11 start, but didn't go up at all for a LONG time (3-4 years?). Every year when you get evaluated and you get enough score to get a raise, they will tell you that you reach their cap and will not give you a raise(blah blah blah. BS!). Even for assistant manager/Team lead. You're pay will be very little for what you do everyday. It's lot of hard work because you have to do EVERYTHING. I remember when i was a team lead, i had to drop everything what i was doing and had to do house keeping for weeks because all of our house keepers would quick because of my managers poor communication skills with other employees. Not to mention, when i couldn't finish some of my team lead duties because i had to do 8 to 9 hours of house keeping, they down talked to me and blame me for not getting my stuff done AND THEY BLAME ME BECAUSE THE ROOM WASN'T PERFECT. WHAT DO YOU EXPECT I AM NOT AN HOUSE KEEPER lol. And some DM and managers likes to play favorites and are not willing to listen your opinion.

My advise to applicants: regardless of ups and downs, i enjoyed working with every Extended Stay properties BUT Valencia. The manager there is rude, selfish, anger issues, and will not listen to your opinion. Ever since i got transfer there from another property, there was more than 100% turn over rate. Trust me. i worked for this company for 6 years and i know whats going on. Few months after the new team lead took my position as a team lead, there was Team Lead position opened in INDEED website. I wasn't surprised at all. i knew she will one day quit too

Great

I worked at Extended Stay America

Pros

Job Security since recession-proof company

Cons

Many changes at once make it difficult

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Peoria Extended Stay

Current Employee - Hotel Manager  in  Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Hotel Manager in Peoria, IL

I have been working at Extended Stay America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great job. Meet good people

Cons

Expect alot from the manager with little pay or help from corp. Tons of sales stuff. 2 star hotel with 4 star prices

better pay. Company is going in a better direction keep it up

Just an okay company to work for

I have been working at Extended Stay America

Pros

Pros are its a laid back environment

Cons

bonuses suck very badly all year long

Poor management, low pay, too stressful

Former Employee - Guest Service Representative  in  Braintree, MA
    Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in Braintree, MA

I worked at Extended Stay America part-time for less than a year

Pros

Don't work here. Low pay, poor management, no training whatsoever! I pretty much trained myself and observed as I go. Manager constantly jokes around and wasn't knowledgable of what he's doing or his position. Why stress yourself and waste your time? Don't work here!

Cons

nothing good to say about this company.

Company should hire someone with management experience to run their hotels. Don't hire someone who lacks management skills and only know how to joke around and come in late all the time.

Wish I could leave

Current Employee - Team Lead  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Austin, TX

I have been working at Extended Stay America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Laid back and something different every day.

Cons

Low pay, lazy lazy management and no recognition in any thing that you do.

GROW UP!

Could Be Better

Current Employee - Guest Service Representative  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Extended Stay America part-time for less than a year

Pros

There isn't a single day that is the same. There are many days to where I just look forward to going to work. I absolutely love my job. The general manager at my particular location is absolutely wonderful, always makes sure his employees are taken care of.

Cons

Always running out of things that are offered to the guests; pans, pots, towels, etc.

Management is friendly to employees to their faces and then talks about their shortcoming to other employees. Management does not mention any issues to the employees but simply puts it in their evaluation. How can the workers fix what they don't even know they're messing up on? There needs to be better communication between GMs and AMs and GSRs

They have no loyalty or respect for you or you're time.

Current Employee - GSR  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - GSR in Austin, TX

I have been working at Extended Stay America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

if you enjoy being lazy and doing the bare minimum , you should work here. Although it does have the "office" feel the managers are rarely willing to help.

Cons

You will be on you're own a majority of the shift . I worked there for three years and my total raises NEVER got me to even a dollar more than i started at. Unappreciative staff and authority. No room what so ever to develop a career or growth.

Be more appreciative of staff!!! Consider better pay! in & out pays better than you do!

Sadly disappointed

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent

I have been working at Extended Stay America full-time

Pros

7 free nights a year after 90 days probation
    OK hospitality experience
    Part time benefits

Cons

Management has no idea what is going on, if they even show up
    Staff doesn't really care (if you are in it for hospitality this is not the place for you)
    Lack of supplies
    Lack of training (either you figure it out or you dont)
    Disorganized PERIOD
    Full time hours not classified as full time employee
    Low pay
    No raises
    Growth with the company isn't worth it

This is a hotel, you want it to be better than in town and suburban yet it's ran like a days Inn franchise. You need employees who care yet you won't get them with the pay then you have GMs that don't even show up!!! Get it together I thought this is what the merger was about

Worked for Extended Stay America? Contribute to the Community!