Extended Stay America

Updated August 18, 2014
Updated August 18, 2014

2.2

Jim Donald

Pros
  • Great perk is that you get 7 free nights at any Extended stay hotel in the country (in 4 reviews)

• The pay is decent and the work is not too challenging (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is low considering the amount of work required but the shift goes by quickly, and it is a lot of fun as a part time job (in 7 reviews)

• Skeleton staff to run your property and very little support from upper management (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Just an okay company to work for

Pros

Pros are its a laid back environment

Cons

bonuses suck very badly all year long

They have no loyalty or respect for you or you're time.

Current Employee - GSR  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - GSR in Austin, TX

Pros

if you enjoy being lazy and doing the bare minimum , you should work here. Although it does have the "office" feel the managers are rarely willing to help.

Cons

You will be on you're own a majority of the shift . I worked there for three years and my total raises NEVER got me to even a dollar more than i started at. Unappreciative staff and authority. No room what so ever to develop a career or growth.

Be more appreciative of staff!!! Consider better pay! in & out pays better than you do!

Could Be Better

Current Employee - Guest Service Representative  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in San Jose, CA

Pros

There isn't a single day that is the same. There are many days to where I just look forward to going to work. I absolutely love my job. The general manager at my particular location is absolutely wonderful, always makes sure his employees are taken care of.

Cons

Always running out of things that are offered to the guests; pans, pots, towels, etc.

Management is friendly to employees to their faces and then talks about their shortcoming to other employees. Management does not mention any issues to the employees but simply puts it in their evaluation. How can the workers fix what they don't even know they're messing up on? There needs to be better communication between GMs and AMs and GSRs

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sadly disappointed

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent

Pros

7 free nights a year after 90 days probation
    OK hospitality experience
    Part time benefits

Cons

Management has no idea what is going on, if they even show up
    Staff doesn't really care (if you are in it for hospitality this is not the place for you)
    Lack of supplies
    Lack of training (either you figure it out or you dont)
    Disorganized PERIOD
    Full time hours not classified as full time employee
    Low pay
    No raises
    Growth with the company isn't worth it

This is a hotel, you want it to be better than in town and suburban yet it's ran like a days Inn franchise. You need employees who care yet you won't get them with the pay then you have GMs that don't even show up!!! Get it together I thought this is what the merger was about

Hotel manager is nice.

Pros

Free rooms for vacation. Employees can have free room for vacation nationwide. Free rooms for vacation. Employees can have free room for vacation nationwide.

Cons

Pay is low. Not much to say. It's a job.

Interesting, to say the least

Pros

Meeting all types of people is definitely a plus.

Cons

Could be an awesome place to work if they would look at what they hire as managers. My manager did not talk or treat guests very well at all and forgets without them, she wouldn't have a job. She also talked about other employees behind their backs and then act like they were her best friend to their face.

Good company but take a good look at what you hire as managers.

Worst Job

Former Employee - Guest Service Representative-Philadelphia-Great Valley  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Guest Service Representative-Philadelphia-Great Valley in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

great co-workers, located close to home

Cons

inconsistent schedule- , low pay, forced to work through lunch break-OFF THE CLOCK!., age discrimination against older workers, BEDBUGS in rooms, no security onsite- you are the security, laundry, breakfast server and all while running the front desk with your other hand

get rid of the Dictator /General Manager

A great job for college students!

Former Employee - Night - Guest Service Representative  in  Kennesaw, GA
    Former Employee - Night - Guest Service Representative in Kennesaw, GA

Pros

I fortunately had an amazing manager who was able to support me in every way possible. She allowed me to have a flexible schedule, and trained me in different areas so I was able to keep my hours up by filling different positions around the hotel. The job roles in themselves are pretty easy once you learn your jobs. I worked at the Front Desk, Housekeeping, and Night Laundry and honestly, I wouldn't be able to choose my "favorite". They all had perks and they all had cons, but what mostly impressed me was the staff at the hotel I worked with. Time off was easy to come buy, in addition to all employees having access to free stays and other hotel perks. Your uniform is provided to you and my boss loved to give out presents for outstanding performances. I also felt like she genuinely cared about her employees and treated you like family.

Cons

Promotions may be hard to come by if you're not willing to move, just because the hotels already have a small staff. The only problem I've ever experienced working there was sometimes hearing my name coming up in a rumor mill. Some people felt the need to talk about people and even make things up despite them not knowing you at all, and it was at the most, slightly annoying. In the end, I didn't care.

Support your management so they can support their employees. Also, more cameras/security. The hotel wasn't located in a bad area, but as a female working overnight, sometimes I would be terrified because I was by myself.

It was a disorganized mess!

Former Employee - Regional Director of Sales
    Former Employee - Regional Director of Sales

Pros

At one time they had a good bonus program.

Cons

Operations team does not work with the Sales team. This is an operational Managed Company. There is no Sales presence of Sales people with a background in Sales. Therefore, whatever an operations person says is the final word. The CEO has a background with Food Lion which went out of business. He then worked for Starbucks which also let him go. More importantly they absolutely lie to the public about the type of hotel they are getting. Most of the hotels are in really bad condition and no future plans for upgrades. Maybe the first floor in every hotel. The staff never has supplies because when the RDO saves money on budgeted supplies they are rewarded with a bonus check. Hard work in this company is laughed at. the slackers rule in this environment.

As a Sales person my advice would never be noticed or respected. There view is you are replaceable no job security and forget about a promotion. They do not promote from within unless the company is in a financial crises.

Business Development

Pros

Awesome supervisor, friendly work environment, professional co workers, new headquarters are located in Charlotte, NC - in the heart of Ballantyne!!

Cons

The higher ups have no idea about the entry-level professionals. Tons of loopholes within management.

Worked for Extended Stay America? Contribute to the Community!