Extended Stay America

Updated Jul 6, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jim Donald

Pros:
  • "The pay is decent and the work is not too challenging"
    in 4 reviews
  • "This is an excellent opportunity to learn and grow in the hotel business"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Who wants to be on call 24/7 for about 30-35K per year"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Skeleton staff to run your property and very little support from upper management"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Hotel manager is nice.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree rooms for vacation. Employees can have free room for vacation nationwide. Free rooms for vacation. Employees can have free room for vacation nationwide.

ConsPay is low. Not much to say. It's a job.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo.

Interesting, to say the least

ProsMeeting all types of people is definitely a plus.

ConsCould be an awesome place to work if they would look at what they hire as managers. My manager did not talk or treat guests very well at all and forgets without them, she wouldn't have a job. She also talked about other employees behind their backs and then act like they were her best friend to their face.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood company but take a good look at what you hire as managers.

A great job for college students!

Night - Guest Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Kennesaw, GA

ProsI fortunately had an amazing manager who was able to support me in every way possible. She allowed me to have a flexible schedule, and trained me in different areas so I was able to keep my hours up by filling different positions around the hotel. The job roles in themselves are pretty easy once you learn your jobs. I worked at the Front Desk, Housekeeping, and Night Laundry and honestly, I wouldn't be able to choose my "favorite". They all had perks and they all had cons, but what mostly impressed me was the staff at the hotel I worked with. Time off was easy to come buy, in addition to all employees having access to free stays and other hotel perks. Your uniform is provided to you and my boss loved to give out presents for outstanding performances. I also felt like she genuinely cared about her employees and treated you like family.

ConsPromotions may be hard to come by if you're not willing to move, just because the hotels already have a small staff. The only problem I've ever experienced working there was sometimes hearing my name coming up in a rumor mill. Some people felt the need to talk about people and even make things up despite them not knowing you at all, and it was at the most, slightly annoying. In the end, I didn't care.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your management so they can support their employees. Also, more cameras/security. The hotel wasn't located in a bad area, but as a female working overnight, sometimes I would be terrified because I was by myself.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A quick overall review of Extended Stay America

Front Desk Agent (Current Employee)

ProsComplimentary stays are a benefit that is extended to part time employees as well as full time employees. Properties tend to be consistent to one another. If you help out a sister hotel, things are generally the same.

ConsStaff is poorly trained. Severe drop-off in training depending on shift. Constantly running out of supplies (towels, toilet tissue, soap, dish detergent)

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower your managers. You have hired them for a reason. The fact that they have to wait on secondary approval for items is ridiculous. Update your computers. Regular desktops do not have the capacity to perform consistently.

No work life balance - modern slave

General Manager (Current Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsGreat front level staff and guest.

ConsUpper management doesn't know what it takes to run the property. No life balance. limited staff. Constant changes in initiative.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive hotel manager support and training to run a property. Creat a good life balance.

The company has no loyalty

GSR (Current Employee)
    Charlotte, NC

ProsI loved my co workers like family.

ConsCorpret office.doesn't have a clue! Greed is the root of the problems in this company.they won't pay people enough,won't provide supplies,and won't hire enough staff.yet they won't want to sugar coat everything.by pass loyal employees promote butt kissers.use up the hard workers and refuse to promote them if they speak there minds. Its sad to watch. I'm done.I'm working my last 2weeks and happy!! I'm free!

Advice to Senior ManagementThey Dont care.what's the point.

Business Development

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAwesome supervisor, friendly work environment, professional co workers, new headquarters are located in Charlotte, NC - in the heart of Ballantyne!!

ConsThe higher ups have no idea about the entry-level professionals. Tons of loopholes within management.

It is enjoyable as a part time job.

Guest Service Representative (Current Employee)

ProsGuests are mostly very nice and coworkers are great to work with. I am very lucky to have a good manager, and I hope he sticks it out at the hotel.

ConsI really have no complaints except most of the year, it gets very busy. You have to have thick skin to survive the training, but it gets a lot easier once you build that learning curve. You will be criticized a lot but just work hard and do not become defensive. Managers are under pressure to perform well by corporate and you just have to put yourself in their shoes, and not take criticisms so personally. The pay is low considering the amount of work required but the shift goes by quickly, and it is a lot of fun as a part time job.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to hotel managers is to take their jobs in strides. I know sometimes corporate policies can be unfair but keep in mind that they need their hotel managers more than the other way around. I seriously believe that. Hotel managers should not feel like they have to always be there 24/7. That causes them too much stress and results in high turnover in hotel management. Corporate wants everything to be perfect but managers need to "pick their battles" or else lose their sanity. Corporate needs to focus more on quality of life for employees or it will cost them plenty in terms of very high turnover, service quality and operational inefficiency.

This job in a nightmare

Guest Service Representative/Night Laundry (Current Employee)
    Buffalo Grove, IL

Pros7 free nights stay at any Extended Stay Location.

ConsAnyone gets hired, even if it's a poor choice, they're unlikely to get retrained or fired, for a long time. Management doesn't care if someone is trained or ready, a front desk representative is alone most of the time, and you have to work through your break, because no one else will cover your shift. We're always understaffed and under paid but the job includes office work as well as manual labor that isn't mentioned at hiring. No location is ever a "team" to my own personal experience and there are constant communication issues. There is no security other than one camera looking over the desk and the doors that are locked at night, at my location those locks haven't worked for over 8 months now. Managers get bonus checks for saving money on budget which has left the hotel MANY times without proper stock, which in return upsets the guests. There is a constant feeling that managers don't care and that feeling is shared by employees and guests. Things break constantly and new arrivals get amazingly checked into those rooms without notice. It's an unprofessional, heavy-load, underpaid environment that will ensure your good work isn't appreciated nor respected.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow a little more initiative in satisfying the in-house guests first over trying to drive people into the hotel when the hotel isn't fixed. Also pay your employees fairly, if you can ask guests to pay nearly a hundred dollars a night for a room you can afford to pay your employees fairly.

My time with ESH was extreamly educational to me and my career.

Hotel GM (Former Employee)
    Norwalk, CT

ProsPersonal growth was the most important thing for me. Now that I am working in a different part of the World I realized how much I learned through ESH. I am greatfull for that. Also as for a GM position you have a flexible work schedule, which allowes you to spent time with your family.

ConsLack of a HSK Supervisor. Salaries could be a bit more competetive.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a HSK supervisor so that GM's can spend more time running the hotels more efficiently.

Worked for Extended Stay America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Extended Stay America reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Extended Stay America CEO Jim Donald. All 100 reviews posted anonymously by Extended Stay America employees.