Extended Stay America Reviews

Updated March 28, 2015
170 reviews filtered by
2.1
Jim Donald

Pros
  • 7 free nights a year is about the best and only thing about this company that is a pro (in 6 reviews)

• The pay is decent and the work is not too challenging (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Skeleton staff to run your property and very little support from upper management (in 16 reviews)

• the only issue i had was been the only front desk having to manage everything at once (in 13 reviews)

1. Great company to work for.

Former Employee - General Manager in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - General Manager in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Extended Stay America

Pros

Work - Life balance was good. Great benefits. Great bounce program. Was a great company to work for.

Cons

Really didn't have any cons for the 7 months I worked for them. I was a general manager and all the people I worked with were the greatest.

2. Fantastic place to work

Current Employee - Guest Service Representative
    Current Employee - Guest Service Representative

I have been working at Extended Stay America part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Meet new people, a lot of freedom, customer service experience

Cons

Work alone a lot and low pay

None

3. I've worked for the company for 5+ years. I am more skilled, confident and secure in field due to that time.

I have been working at Extended Stay America

Pros

Ongoing development, strong support, reward for hard work and skilled leaders.

Cons

Base salary for operations is on the low end but there is plenty of opportunity for growth and advancement if you show promise.

5. Great Company to Work

I worked at Extended Stay America

Pros

This company has a great CEO Mr. Jim Donald, he is always in touch with GMs. His every morning words of wisdom not only motivate hotel staff but also show how much he wants best for guests.

Cons

There are few problems which I share with my Divisional Manager and I wish this company fix them.

6. Love the Company!

Former Employee - Team Lead, Front Desk Staff in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Team Lead, Front Desk Staff in Arlington, TX

I worked at Extended Stay America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

One of the best things about working here was the sense of team work and community that was instilled throughout the entire staff and regional management. The compensation is fair, and opportunity for growth abounds!

Cons

Customers sometimes disagree with property policies. When you are attempting to check in a guest late at night this can be a little stressful/scary.

Keep your front desk staff fully trained with the latest customer service strategies, and keep your housekeepers/maintenance staff involved and motivated with customer review card raffles or suggestion raffles.

7. Delightful- a great place for young, hospitality professionals.

Current Employee - Hotel Manager
    Current Employee - Hotel Manager

I have been working at Extended Stay America full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy the relaxed culture that extended stay properties have. Because we host long-term guests, I have the opportunity to develop meaningful relationships with our guests. Because of our small size, I have the chance to impact the lives of every staff member, every day. I have the opportunity to learn about every role in the hotel- front desk, housekeeping, laundry, maintenance, accounting, payroll, revenue management, purchasing, food & beverage, reservations, and human resources. It's a great place to learn the ropes of hotel management. Our CEO, Jim Donald is great. He sends all his managers daily, voicemail blasts that pep us up and keep us in the loop. The communication between top and middle management is the best I have ever seen.

Cons

Even with incentives, the pay is low. To be fair, we were recently told that the pay structure would be revisited. Checklists: Wow. There is not much room for creativity in the workplace. Although the shared mission states that innovation and new ideas are welcome, the culture does not encourage straying far from the corporate-approved specs.

Revisit the bargain laborer strategy. It does not correlate with the company's combination (low-cost + differentiation), business strategy.

8. An outstanding company to work for!

Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in El Paso, TX

I worked at Extended Stay America part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I really loved my job at Extended Stay Hotels, I left for a while on my account and then returned some months later, I eventually left due to a lack of hours and a large amount of physical work that wasn't suited to me as I was physically sick at the time.

Cons

Low pay and benefits for a part time worker.

9. Excellent experience from 2004 to 2008

Current Employee - Regional Sales Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Extended Stay America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great nationwide sales team, great synergy and great leadership at that time.

Cons

The company lost one of their great VP of Sales to retirement and then many great sales leaders on the regional level.

Get a VP of Sales that values their Central-Regional Sales Team and recognizes true talent and not brown-nosing.

10. Excellent place to work!

Former Employee - Night Laundry & House Keeping in Bethlehem, PA
    Former Employee - Night Laundry & House Keeping in Bethlehem, PA

I worked at Extended Stay America full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay, they care about their employees, management goes out of their way to work with you if you are a hard worker! Co-workers are like a family.

Cons

None that come to mind.

Keep up the good work! If I wouldn't have moved I'd still be there!

11. Area Operations Manager

I worked at Extended Stay America

Pros

Good price/value product, investing more in the hotels, profitable market segment.

Cons

Limited ongoing training. Company needs a revenue management system and/or stronger talent in this area to capture much larger share of revenue opportunities. Wide range of managerial talent.

Place a greater focus throughout the company on having rates at each length of stay segment that are performing as needed. No one is playing in the up coming Super Bowl with a horrible defense or special teams... put another way, to reach your goals, monitor 1 to 6, 7 to 29 and 30 plus rates at every hotel to make sure they're all selling reasonably well. If not, change em!