Extended Stay America

Updated August 26, 2014
Updated August 26, 2014

2.2

Jim Donald

Pros
  • Great perk is that you get 7 free nights at any Extended stay hotel in the country (in 4 reviews)

• The pay is decent and the work is not too challenging (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is low considering the amount of work required but the shift goes by quickly, and it is a lot of fun as a part time job (in 7 reviews)

• Skeleton staff to run your property and very little support from upper management (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company to Work

I worked at Extended Stay America

Pros

This company has a great CEO Mr. Jim Donald, he is always in touch with GMs. His every morning words of wisdom not only motivate hotel staff but also show how much he wants best for guests.

Cons

There are few problems which I share with my Divisional Manager and I wish this company fix them.

Love the Company!

Former Employee - Team Lead, Front Desk Staff  in  Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Team Lead, Front Desk Staff in Arlington, TX

I worked at Extended Stay America full-time for more than a year

Pros

One of the best things about working here was the sense of team work and community that was instilled throughout the entire staff and regional management. The compensation is fair, and opportunity for growth abounds!

Cons

Customers sometimes disagree with property policies. When you are attempting to check in a guest late at night this can be a little stressful/scary.

Keep your front desk staff fully trained with the latest customer service strategies, and keep your housekeepers/maintenance staff involved and motivated with customer review card raffles or suggestion raffles.

Fantastic Outlook

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - General Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Extended Stay America full-time for less than a year

Pros

Set schedules for managers, less hours than other hospitality fields, very good communication from corporate office, NOT a desk job. If you have the ability to deal with people on a personal level, this is a great company to work for. This is an excellent opportunity to learn and grow in the hotel business. I feel like the company is fairly progressive, and can get things done faster than other hotel chains that I have worked for.

Cons

Having to conform to guidelines designed for the entire portfolio of hotels and not individual or regional groups.

Leave the management of each property up to your Regional Directors. Quit painting the company with such a wide brush.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Delightful- a great place for young, hospitality professionals.

Current Employee - Hotel Manager
    Current Employee - Hotel Manager

I have been working at Extended Stay America full-time for less than a year

Pros

I enjoy the relaxed culture that extended stay properties have. Because we host long-term guests, I have the opportunity to develop meaningful relationships with our guests. Because of our small size, I have the chance to impact the lives of every staff member, every day. I have the opportunity to learn about every role in the hotel- front desk, housekeeping, laundry, maintenance, accounting, payroll, revenue management, purchasing, food & beverage, reservations, and human resources. It's a great place to learn the ropes of hotel management. Our CEO, Jim Donald is great. He sends all his managers daily, voicemail blasts that pep us up and keep us in the loop. The communication between top and middle management is the best I have ever seen.

Cons

Even with incentives, the pay is low. To be fair, we were recently told that the pay structure would be revisited. Checklists: Wow. There is not much room for creativity in the workplace. Although the shared mission states that innovation and new ideas are welcome, the culture does not encourage straying far from the corporate-approved specs.

Revisit the bargain laborer strategy. It does not correlate with the company's combination (low-cost + differentiation), business strategy.

An outstanding company to work for!

Former Employee - Guest Service Representative  in  El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in El Paso, TX

I worked at Extended Stay America part-time for more than a year

Pros

I really loved my job at Extended Stay Hotels, I left for a while on my account and then returned some months later, I eventually left due to a lack of hours and a large amount of physical work that wasn't suited to me as I was physically sick at the time.

Cons

Low pay and benefits for a part time worker.

Excellent experience from 2004 to 2008

Current Employee - Regional Sales Director  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Extended Stay America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great nationwide sales team, great synergy and great leadership at that time.

Cons

The company lost one of their great VP of Sales to retirement and then many great sales leaders on the regional level.

Get a VP of Sales that values their Central-Regional Sales Team and recognizes true talent and not brown-nosing.

Excellent place to work!

Former Employee - Night Laundry & House Keeping  in  Bethlehem, PA
    Former Employee - Night Laundry & House Keeping in Bethlehem, PA

I worked at Extended Stay America full-time for less than a year

Pros

Competitive pay, they care about their employees, management goes out of their way to work with you if you are a hard worker! Co-workers are like a family.

Cons

None that come to mind.

Keep up the good work! If I wouldn't have moved I'd still be there!

Great

I worked at Extended Stay America

Pros

Job Security since recession-proof company

Cons

Many changes at once make it difficult

Hotel manager is nice.

I worked at Extended Stay America

Pros

Free rooms for vacation. Employees can have free room for vacation nationwide. Free rooms for vacation. Employees can have free room for vacation nationwide.

Cons

Pay is low. Not much to say. It's a job.

Business Development

I worked at Extended Stay America full-time

Pros

Awesome supervisor, friendly work environment, professional co workers, new headquarters are located in Charlotte, NC - in the heart of Ballantyne!!

Cons

The higher ups have no idea about the entry-level professionals. Tons of loopholes within management.

Worked for Extended Stay America? Contribute to the Community!