Extended Stay Hotels

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jim Donald

Pros:
  • "This is an excellent opportunity to learn and grow in the hotel business"
    in 3 reviews
  • "as a front desk coordinator you are constantly meeting people, if you like that sort of thing i loved it"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Skeleton staff to run your property and very little support from upper management"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Apart from doing front desk shifts - you do not get any department heads"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Love the Company!

Team Lead, Front Desk Staff (Former Employee)
Arlington, TX

I worked at Extended Stay Hotels full-time for more than a year

ProsOne of the best things about working here was the sense of team work and community that was instilled throughout the entire staff and regional management. The compensation is fair, and opportunity for growth abounds!

ConsCustomers sometimes disagree with property policies. When you are attempting to check in a guest late at night this can be a little stressful/scary.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your front desk staff fully trained with the latest customer service strategies, and keep your housekeepers/maintenance staff involved and motivated with customer review card raffles or suggestion raffles.

Fantastic Outlook

General Manager (Current Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Extended Stay Hotels full-time for less than a year

ProsSet schedules for managers, less hours than other hospitality fields, very good communication from corporate office, NOT a desk job. If you have the ability to deal with people on a personal level, this is a great company to work for. This is an excellent opportunity to learn and grow in the hotel business. I feel like the company is fairly progressive, and can get things done faster than other hotel chains that I have worked for.

ConsHaving to conform to guidelines designed for the entire portfolio of hotels and not individual or regional groups.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave the management of each property up to your Regional Directors. Quit painting the company with such a wide brush.

Delightful- a great place for young, hospitality professionals.

Hotel Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Extended Stay Hotels full-time for less than a year

ProsI enjoy the relaxed culture that extended stay properties have. Because we host long-term guests, I have the opportunity to develop meaningful relationships with our guests. Because of our small size, I have the chance to impact the lives of every staff member, every day. I have the opportunity to learn about every role in the hotel- front desk, housekeeping, laundry, maintenance, accounting, payroll, revenue management, purchasing, food & beverage, reservations, and human resources. It's a great place to learn the ropes of hotel management. Our CEO, Jim Donald is great. He sends all his managers daily, voicemail blasts that pep us up and keep us in the loop. The communication between top and middle management is the best I have ever seen.

ConsEven with incentives, the pay is low. To be fair, we were recently told that the pay structure would be revisited. Checklists: Wow. There is not much room for creativity in the workplace. Although the shared mission states that innovation and new ideas are welcome, the culture does not encourage straying far from the corporate-approved specs.

Advice to Senior ManagementRevisit the bargain laborer strategy. It does not correlate with the company's combination (low-cost + differentiation), business strategy.

An outstanding company to work for!

Guest Service Representative (Former Employee)
El Paso, TX

I worked at Extended Stay Hotels part-time for more than a year

ProsI really loved my job at Extended Stay Hotels, I left for a while on my account and then returned some months later, I eventually left due to a lack of hours and a large amount of physical work that wasn't suited to me as I was physically sick at the time.

ConsLow pay and benefits for a part time worker.

Excellent experience from 2004 to 2008

Regional Sales Director (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Extended Stay Hotels full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat nationwide sales team, great synergy and great leadership at that time.

ConsThe company lost one of their great VP of Sales to retirement and then many great sales leaders on the regional level.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a VP of Sales that values their Central-Regional Sales Team and recognizes true talent and not brown-nosing.

Excellent place to work!

Night Laundry & House Keeping (Former Employee)
Bethlehem, PA

I worked at Extended Stay Hotels full-time for less than a year

ProsCompetitive pay, they care about their employees, management goes out of their way to work with you if you are a hard worker! Co-workers are like a family.

ConsNone that come to mind.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work! If I wouldn't have moved I'd still be there!

No two days are ever the same, with any guests.

Guest Service Representative (Current Employee)
Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Extended Stay Hotels full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe clean environment and able to work at your own pace, not what higher management wants.

ConsOverworked staff. When no managers are available to cover, other departments are forced to fill in.

I think that the hotel should have a hot breakfast with the other food that they give for free.

Night Audit/Laundry, Front Desk (Current Employee)
Duluth, GA

I have been working at Extended Stay Hotels part-time for more than a year

ProsGood Customer Service keep up the good job.

ConsThey need to improve on keeping change around after hours for customer's when they need change to wash.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not take sides against another employee based on an employee that you may like that is not perfect.

Good place to stay and work

Night Audit/Laundry, Front Desk (Former Employee)
Horsham, PA

I worked at Extended Stay Hotels part-time for more than a year

Prosas a front desk coordinator you are constantly meeting people, if you like that sort of thing i loved it.

Consmanagers are not always on bored to give the best customer service possible.

Advice to Senior Managementlearn the job!

Great Company on the uprising

Team Lead (Current Employee)
Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Extended Stay Hotels full-time for more than 3 years

Proscorporately owned, new owner, renovating brand, guest focused, training.

Consrate of pay, tight budgets

Advice to Senior ManagementESA rolls out a lot of training and programs to help staff get on track and offer the best service possible, problem is when stating a problem as far as employees that are front of house and back of house they go unnoticed due to the control the DM has over what feel we need, we are forced to run this hotel and avoid guest complaints yet, we never get approved for things we need as far as running the hotel, linen, hardware etc. Housekeeping pay rate is an embarrassment, min wage?? they are the hotels backbone, they work hard and get paid chump change, as well as GSR's and TL we are forced to take on sales, etc and GSR's get paid $0.15 more then min wage and TL is paid $0.55 more then your current rate of pay at time of promotion, $0.55 means, working every Friday and Saturday, on call on the weekends when the HM has off, handling sales, reports, training and staff while the manager is tide into reports and emails. I know ESA is employee focused but instead of paying millions of dollars to a company to make prank/fake phone calls, or mystery shoppers, etc they should pay their employees more. When you have a employee who is looking to become more then a front desk person, who is trying to make a living, taking a team lead position is the only way to move up to hotel management, then to AGM,GM,AOM,DM,RDO,RDFS etc.

Worked for Extended Stay Hotels? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Extended Stay Hotels reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Extended Stay Hotels CEO Jim Donald. All 77 reviews posted anonymously by Extended Stay Hotels employees.