Extendicare Health Services

Updated Jun 21, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Timothy L. Lukenda

An average place to work.

Milwaukee, WI

ProsAcceptable work environment and coworkers.

ConsManagement does not set clear goals for the company.
    Reacts to events instead of trying to control them.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate culture cannot be created by having vague motivational meetings run by outside people.

One of the worst places I have worked.

First Shift Scapegoat (Former Employee)

ProsUnion so we got our .05 raise twice a year.
    Bonus for picking up hours.
    Free soup, which was disgusting most of the time.

ConsThere is no opportunity for advancement here. They advertise that there is and even hire you and tell that there is, but there is not. The free soup often smelled like it had been scraped from the dumpster (looked the same as well), many employees got to do whatever they liked , such as not show up for work or come in hours late while others were written up for being 2 minutes late. Lots of double standards in this place. If you put in your 2 week notice, they ignore it and claim you just never showed up fro work so they do not have to pay for your EARNED vacation and sick pay. Many members of management never had time to address issues, too busy in meetings to see that the building is falling apart. 2 aides for halls that have 23 residents (on day shift) with the majority weighing over 300lbs never offered assistance but reprimanded when they were unable to finish all tasks. 2nd and 3rd shift got to sit around and get paid to do nothing and 1st was blamed for the lack of resident care. This is not a place that you want to work if you value your license. Nurses will not assist the residents with anything, not even operating a bed control. I don't know why state has not shut this place down yet.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome out of your meetings and watch your "good" staff, you know the ones who pull no call no shows and still have a job. Watch how they sit and do not do anything. Walk the talk! Come show the staff how you would get residents up and ready for breakfast by 7:30 when you come in at 6 and 3rd shift won't even change people. Stop putting all the tasks on one shift!! Hold your other shifts responsible!! Be available for the staff, they need you!

Unappreciated and expendable

(Current Employee)

ProsThe co-workers, pay is ok, PTO Policy is good

ConsLack of direction from upper management, very scattered approach to things, no clear direction being stated. Have heard repeatedly how upper management was developing a "strategy". If it was ever developed it was never shared with middle management or staff.

Have not received a review or goals for the last 5 years.

Health insurance is over priced and abissmal. Paid over $11,000 in premiums last year and insurance only paid out a total of $3,000 - left with co-pays of over $9000 for one year.
    Premiums this year were increased 26% for family plan!

401k match was put on hold for salaried staff last year pending "how the company did" financially. No match in 2012. They did match in 2013 but, only at end of year so lost all of the gains would have gotten in the market had they matched during the year.

Raises have not kept pace with inflation and the increases in health insurance costs for the last 5+ years. Average max % Raise over last 5 years was about 2%. In sheer buying power making less now than 6 years ago.

But amongst all of this, upper management certainly took their bonuses!

Expected to be available 24/7/365. Can't get away from work unless you leave the country

Advice to Senior ManagementActually develop and publish a strategy and relate it to everyone's jobs so that there is real goals and targets for people to work towards.

Vacation is meant to be time away from work, don't call staff and insist they work when they take time off. There is a reason they took the time off! You talk about work/life balance but don't carry through

Quit promoting incompetence.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

New hire in Nursing

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)
    Olympia, WA

ProsThey encourage the best of care to residents. I believe that the residents receive the best care possible. The staff are upbeat and for the most part positive. The residents needs and wants are addressed.

ConsWork is difficult with long hours standing on hard floors. Apparently too much work to be done and not enough time to complete the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are on the verge of creating the best care, staffing is good, but it could be better.

I like the company values and enjoy learning everyday about caring for people.

Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsTraining Opportunities
    Located right off expressway
    Paid covered parking benefit
    Believe in the companies ideals

ConsCurrent area is in an unmanagable place.
    Big boss is just not putting any effort into managing dept. or caring for people reporting to them.

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch you upper management.
    More folks will be leaving because of upper management

Employment review

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCore Values are impressive - maintained as much as possible

Conslower pay scale than other similar companies

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more education and training - be more proactive in helping others succeed

Not good, not bad.

Activities Assistant (Former Employee)
    Coopersburg, PA

ProsMost staff tend to genuinely care about the well being of the residents.

ConsVery large facility with a lot of residents.

Nurse for over 6 years in Milwaukee

Nurse (Current Employee)
    Milwaukee, WI

ProsProvides or atleast attempts to provide a needed skill to our community

ConsCorporate has no clue, Management sucks. They are the reason for constant failure and recousre. They only care about making their bonuses. Their expecations are unreal and they have NEVER even attempted to do what they ask of staff. Poor working conditins, Very low values and moral. Makes you question yourself as a healthcare provider. They insist on the things we are taught is wrong in nursing school. Caddy Managers only recieve positions beacuse who they know or blow. True story but very sad.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a heart and recall where you came from. The objective of being a healthcare provider or nurse is to care. CARE ABOUT PEOPLE NOT THINGS, i.e. MONEY=GREED= EVIL

Excellent opportunites

Executive Director (Current Employee)
    Midland, MI

ProsExcellent facility support. Good career opportunities.

ConsHas not embraced social media as a marketing platform.

CNA's here get treated very badly......

CNA (Current Employee)
    Coeur d'Alene, ID

ProsThey work with your school schedule if you are in college

ConsManagement makes promises they don't keep. There is a lot of gossip, backstabbing and two faced people. Moral is low and staff are unhappy and miserable.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating your staff like crap. We deserve respect and dignity just like the residents. Direct Care Staff are the reason the residents want to be in the facility, not because of management.

Worked for Extendicare Health Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Extendicare Health Services reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Extendicare Health Services CEO Timothy L. Lukenda. All 22 reviews posted anonymously by Extendicare Health Services employees.