Extendicare

Timothy L. Lukenda

Excellent atmosphere,team work environment

Dietitian (Former Employee)
    Milwaukee, WI

ProsThe benefits were affordable with competitive salary. Great time off and leave policy. Helped pay for some continuing education. The team I worked with worked efficiently and well together.

ConsNo where really for the dietitian to work her way up, work can get monotonous at times.

Very busy

Prospeople, location, pay, work environment

ConsThe departments don't work together they all work in silo's

Advice to Senior Managementtalk to the workers to see how things really are

Corporate needs to wake up and listen

Culinary Department (Current Employee)
    Midland, MI

ProsThe residents are wonderful and there are a lot of caring people who get the job done at the facility level.

ConsNo yearly reviews. Raises eliminated for over two years to the working individuals because of managements failure to balance budgets. Facility is greatly understaffed and turn over is horrendous. Hard working individuals are at times unappreciated and micromanaged, sometimes expected to pick up the slack for those who do not do their jobs instead of holding these slackers accountable for their shortcomings. Too much emphasis on seniority instead of skill and hard work. Management consults employees for advice but then does nothing with the advice they seek or turns suggestions into something negative instead of being enlightened by it.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive yearly reviews. This will help employees to keep up the consistency of their strong skills and set goals to improve on skills they may not even realize need polished.

Give deserving individuals raises based on merit. Instead of waiting for the union to mandate such benefits in a contract. A good employee should not be receiving the same amount as a person who does not do their jobs to the best of their abilities. By the way, 15 cents for a first installment of a .75 raise after two years is an insult to all employees no matter what the useless union mandates.

Corporate needs to listen to the individuals who are actually doing the jobs, not just pretend to listen. What is the point of giving "anonymous" surveys (I was asked why I did not complete mine, hmm?) if you are not applying these results?

Be more proactive instead of reactive. It is easier to do things correctly instead of fixing a problem after it happens. Dig a little deeper to figure out why there is such a large turn over.

Promote more from within (this has gotten better) You maybe overlooking talent that you have in your own house instead of hiring from outside the facility. This form of benefit is also great for moral.

Have a little more respect for your employees. This does not mean that you need to pat everyone on the back everyday. However if an employee is already working as hard as they can to take care of the residents adding more tasks to their workload and expecting these tasks to be done in less hours per day is not effective use of your labor. This is especially significant in the support staff; these individuals are here to take care of residents, not employees. If support staff is responsible for cleaning up after or preparing extra food items for the rest of the staff, then time needs to be better balanced or budgeted in these departments. This will enable tasks to be completed without sacrificing quality of service to our residents.

Remember that residents come first! They are our customers and without them we will all be out of a job.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Frustrating

ProsThey actually give vacation and Holidays to part times employees.

ConsThey do not seem to care about their employees. Work load is ridiculous for the number of hours they allow me to work. There is no workplace culture. I am too slammed with work that I don't have time to 'socialize'. I have vacation and holidays but when I take them I get so far behind, it is almost not worth it. They refuse to provide coverage when I am off. Was hourly but they changed job titles of everyone in the department so that certain positions could be made salaried......without changing the job at all...other than to add more work. No raise for 3 years, then finally got a raise which made up the difference from the SS increase last year. W2 was actually less last year vs previous year. Have begged for more hours to do my job properly to NHA and even levels above that. No one listens. They seem to care about money. Food budget is even inadequate to feed the residents appropriately. It is difficult to honor preferences because of lack of money to purchase anything besides the bare minimum to produce meals. Policies are set by corporate. Individual facilities cannot change to address their individual needs.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the employees that are actually providing care to the residents. Allow enough hours to complete job. Allow facilities to alter polices if needed. Every facility is not the same.

Like any job there are good leaders and bad leaders

Sales (Former Employee)
    Evansville, IN

ProsThe direct staff and management are mostly good to work with.

ConsThe upper management does not listen. Was told to fill the beds if it's not immoral illegal or unethical . Did not consider the death of a patient as a loss to staff only a loss in census.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend time in the buildings on off hours help your team grow

Administrator keeps under budget to get bonus checks and makes staff go without.

ProsStaff stretched way too thin. If salaried, given several added duties. Job description and duties frequently changed at the whim of the administrator. Call duties and weekends and working all three shifts became mandatory after hire for a full time day position.

Cons"It's Not in the budget". Had to buy and pay for my own office supplies and materials, and provided supplies used even by administrator without being reimbursed.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet employees evaluate their administrator and DON yearly to be reviewed by Upper Management and base bonuses on tis rather than on budgets.

Interesting

STNA (Former Employee)
    Milford, OH

ProsCo-workers, friends, personal learning experiences

Constime off policies - asking off in enough time yet they still put you on the schedule

Horrible management causes stressful environment and high turnover rate in staff

Oconomowoc, WI

ProsFairly new building makes for a nice environment to be surrounded with. The Folks who reside there are awesome!

ConsManagement is absent in the facility. Almost feels as though there is no leadership and all of the employees are left to fend for themselves. A fun motivating team atmosphere is not to be found here. Somber and stress are the only words I can think of to describe the barometer in the building. No annual reviews or pay increases to be found here either. Bare bones training for new staff. Everyone is expected to know all of the roles in the facility making for a confusing misappropriation of skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementRestructure the management team as it seems as though the company struggles with getting things done in an efficient smooth operating facility. Too much micromanaging which is unnecessary and makes everyone feel uneasy and unmotivated to do well. Annual reviews and pay raises are just part of what makes a company great and great to work for.

It was "ok"

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe employees were great we all got along well. Decent pay.

ConsDo not keep to their promise of schedule, no raises, terrible ethics

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep better work ethics.

Have been with this company a short time, and I am very disappointed!

DON (Current Employee)

ProsFrontline staff are the best and are the ones who need all the praise. The staff nurses and CNAs truly put their heart into the job!

ConsMicromanagement is beyond belief! If you are a department head you might as well just plan on pushing papers and attending meetings. Cooperate does all the decision making for you! Autonomy does not exists with this company and the company truly does not care about the staff or residents, but only $$$$$$!!!! I am disgusted with this company!

Advice to Senior ManagementSeriously wake up!

Worked for Extendicare? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Extendicare reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Extendicare CEO Timothy L. Lukenda. All 47 reviews posted anonymously by Extendicare employees.