Extendicare Reviews

62 reviews filtered by
2.2
Extendicare President, CEO, and Trustee Timothy L. Lukenda
Timothy L. Lukenda

Pros
  • The only thing going for this company are the wonderful residents (in 10 reviews)

• The staff nurses and CNAs truly put their heart into the job (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management does not listen (in 5 reviews)

• The work load is unbearable, they expect you to work 10-12 hours and pay you for 8 (in 4 reviews)

1. Great crew, great residents low paying wages

Current Employee - STNA in Minerva, OH
    Current Employee - STNA in Minerva, OH

I have been working at Extendicare part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful staff and lovely residents

Cons

Low paying wages and rude management

Reward your employees for their hard work

Flexibile Work Schedule

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Sylvania, OH
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Sylvania, OH

I have been working at Extendicare

Pros

Great Staff, Great hours, good enviroment

Cons

lower than avg pay. food is okay

better pay and benefits would keep me there forever.

3. Did not enjoy it

I have been working at Extendicare

Pros

Union base that is it

Cons

low pay, staff rude to patients, old building need to be fixed for the safety of patients, rude co-workers

Stay away!

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Menomonee Falls, WI
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Menomonee Falls, WI

I worked at Extendicare

Pros

That's not why I'm writing this review....

Cons

Nurses: this facility will set you up for failure and/or burnout. Your license is not safe here. The workload is ridiculous, management is a joke, and no employee here is happy. The systems and policies are archaic and create mistakes.

6. Foreign Corporation

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Greensburg, PA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Greensburg, PA

I have been working at Extendicare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly environment, professional staff.

Cons

Pay rate isn't equal or comparable to neighboring facilities.

When census is low Administration at times just "fills beds to have numbers".

7. Close to worst company I ever worked for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Extendicare

Pros

average pay and benefits. good location and parking

Cons

VCPI (subsidiary) management shows no respect for employees. it's my way or the high way attitude. to cover their own short-comings management blames problems on employees and also plays employees against each other when it is beneficial for the management's politics.

replace it

8. Can I say 0 Stars?

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)

I worked at Extendicare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Comforted to have had hard working CENAS. Work with the elderly is so personally rewarding. It was like I gained a bunch of grandparents.

Cons

Unless you have a PRN Xanax order, think twice. State is constantly in the building, management is constantly looking for someone else to blame for problems they may have been able to prevent if they bid to the beckoning of the overwhelmed floor staff. Constantly created more busy work to do that took away from the already slim time nurses have with the residents at their bedsides. Threats from management were a daily occurance. Consistency doesn't exist at Extendicare facilities. They love to hire new nurses but hate dealing with new nurse learning curves. They often admit residents that the facility is not equipt to handle, so the frustrated families often take their anger out on the floor staff. I wouldn't wish my year long nightmare on any other nurse, nor would I even consider recommending my worst enemy become a resident at an Extendicare facility. My favorite part of the job was discharging residents home so they were no longer in harms way.

Practice what you preach. Simply answering call lights doesn't qualify as helping us out on the floor. When more than half of your assigned residents are dependant lifts and you have one CENA responsible for each hall, the nurse becomes a CENA in addition to their role as the nurse. I've been a CENA, I'm not afraid to get knee deep in a code brown with those CENAs who are overworked. Instead of looking for staff to blame, please look for staff to strengthen! Be proactive instead of reactive. "you need better prioritizing skills" should never come out of your mouth unless it's followed by here I am to teach you how.

9. Profits before people.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Extendicare full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Co workers were nice and I loved the patients I worked there.

Cons

This company is the definition of the phrase profits before people. Corners are cut in every way possible and the result is patient care suffering. We were always short staffed because of the heavy patient load and low wages compared to other nursing care facilities, so people would leave for another job as soon as they could. As a result, it was a nasty cycle of never having adequate staff which led to many mandated double shifts, which led to unhappy employees and unsafe patient care and even more people leaving the job.

Even if you're hard up for a pay check, it's not worth putting your license at risk. They will ask you to care for an unreasonable amount of patients (again, because they care more about making money than paying for adequate staff) that puts you and your license in jeopardy if something happens.

I do not recommend working here.

Stop caring more about making a profit than safe, effective patient care.

10. Frightening experience

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Extendicare (less than a year)

Pros

The pay is competitive and the 12 hour shifts are nice if that's what you prefer.

Cons

The facility is understaffed and what staff they do have is unreliable and under-trained. There is no such thing as sterile field there and clients continue to get sicker instead of better.

Hire more staff and lower the client to staff ratios so the level of care can increase to an acceptable level.

11. Best of the Worst

Former Employee - CNA in Oconomowoc, WI
    Former Employee - CNA in Oconomowoc, WI

I worked at Extendicare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Co-workers and residents are great! That is all I can honestly say about this place. From the very top of the ladder down to the managers, no one really cares about the cna's and they are the ones who work the hardest!

Cons

Everything about the management and corporate is about money and how to spend less on pay for the employees and how to keep more in their pockets! I would not recommend this facility to anyone who has a pulse!

Get some people in the place that care just a little bit and it would be an improvement! Overworked and understaffed is the status quo. The residents are the one's who suffer! It is so sad. They deserve to be in a place where they are respected at the last years of their lives.