Extendicare Reviews

Updated September 13, 2014
2.0

Extendicare President, CEO, and Trustee Timothy L. Lukenda
Timothy L. Lukenda

Pros
  • The only thing going for this company are the wonderful residents (in 10 reviews)

• The staff nurses and CNAs truly put their heart into the job (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management does not listen (in 5 reviews)

• The work load is unbearable, they expect you to work 10-12 hours and pay you for 8 (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent atmosphere,team work environment

Former Employee - Dietitian in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Dietitian in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Extendicare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits were affordable with competitive salary. Great time off and leave policy. Helped pay for some continuing education. The team I worked with worked efficiently and well together.

Cons

No where really for the dietitian to work her way up, work can get monotonous at times.

Frightening experience

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Extendicare (less than an year)

Pros

The pay is competitive and the 12 hour shifts are nice if that's what you prefer.

Cons

The facility is understaffed and what staff they do have is unreliable and under-trained. There is no such thing as sterile field there and clients continue to get sicker instead of better.

Hire more staff and lower the client to staff ratios so the level of care can increase to an acceptable level.

Best of the Worst

Former Employee - CNA in Oconomowoc, WI
    Former Employee - CNA in Oconomowoc, WI

I worked at Extendicare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co-workers and residents are great! That is all I can honestly say about this place. From the very top of the ladder down to the managers, no one really cares about the cna's and they are the ones who work the hardest!

Cons

Everything about the management and corporate is about money and how to spend less on pay for the employees and how to keep more in their pockets! I would not recommend this facility to anyone who has a pulse!

Get some people in the place that care just a little bit and it would be an improvement! Overworked and understaffed is the status quo. The residents are the one's who suffer! It is so sad. They deserve to be in a place where they are respected at the last years of their lives.

Unless you want horrible management say no.

I worked at Extendicare

Pros

The staff were friendly and the facility itself was very nice. No other pros besides that.

Cons

Bad pay. Bad management. Nothing detailed. Jammed rooms. Neglected patients.

Learn how to care about your staff. They aren't trash.

Do not work for!!

Current Employee - STNA in Stow, OH
    Current Employee - STNA in Stow, OH

I have been working at Extendicare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can pick up a lot of hours. Horrible horrible horrible

Cons

Short staffed all the time, they don't care about the employees, you get paid lowest rate around, you are a human punching bag for the residents and they do nothing to protect you. If you get hurt, good luck getting to write an incident report. They short staff purposefully so that the higher ups get bonuses. I tried to go PRN because of my schedule, they agreed to a schedule change, and then when it came time...they gave me occurrences and said they never talked to me about a schedule change. This is after three years of employment. They keep staff that sleep most of their shift as residents lay in wet beds and then management seems to pick on the hard workers. Half the employees their have horrible attitudes and it's hard to work there. There are no reviews and little raises if any.

Appreciate your employees and treat them better. You are truly a psych facility and you need to medicate better or do something to protect the nurses and aides from being hurt. I have been knocked unconscious and had a contusion (also hurt many other times) and you did nothing. All for $10/hr. Our jobs are hard already and you make it worse with your constant badgering. There's never a "good job" given or a thank you. It's only what we need to add onto our list of "to-dos". Pay more an hour...you get what you pay for and keep the "bad" employees.

Money Before People

Current Employee - CNA
    Current Employee - CNA

I have been working at Extendicare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The only good things about this company are the employees that work the floor, i.e. nurses, cnas, housekeeping, and kitchen staff. The floor staff shows good teamwork and a genuine love for the people they take care of, (which makes up for the lack of proper supplies and equipment and a shortage of staff on the floor)

Cons

Management is non existent until they have a complaint about you. The company in general puts money before the quality of the care and equipment needed for the residents. Raises are practically non existent. The CNAs are continually short staffed, not only working multiple double shifts in a week, but the staff to patient ratio is horrid; averaging 15 people per aid.

Stop thanking your staff 'for all that they do' it's just empty words. Start actually supporting them and give them the number of staff and the equipment they need to do their job properly.

Very busy

I have been working at Extendicare full-time

Pros

people, location, pay, work environment

Cons

The departments don't work together they all work in silo's

talk to the workers to see how things really are

Corporate needs to wake up and listen

Current Employee - Culinary Department in Midland, MI
    Current Employee - Culinary Department in Midland, MI

I have been working at Extendicare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The residents are wonderful and there are a lot of caring people who get the job done at the facility level.

Cons

No yearly reviews. Raises eliminated for over two years to the working individuals because of managements failure to balance budgets. Facility is greatly understaffed and turn over is horrendous. Hard working individuals are at times unappreciated and micromanaged, sometimes expected to pick up the slack for those who do not do their jobs instead of holding these slackers accountable for their shortcomings. Too much emphasis on seniority instead of skill and hard work. Management consults employees for advice but then does nothing with the advice they seek or turns suggestions into something negative instead of being enlightened by it.

Give yearly reviews. This will help employees to keep up the consistency of their strong skills and set goals to improve on skills they may not even realize need polished.

Give deserving individuals raises based on merit. Instead of waiting for the union to mandate such benefits in a contract. A good employee should not be receiving the same amount as a person who does not do their jobs to the best of their abilities. By the way, 15 cents for a first installment of a .75 raise after two years is an insult to all employees no matter what the useless union mandates.

Corporate needs to listen to the individuals who are actually doing the jobs, not just pretend to listen. What is the point of giving "anonymous" surveys (I was asked why I did not complete mine, hmm?) if you are not applying these results?

Be more proactive instead of reactive. It is easier to do things correctly instead of fixing a problem after it happens. Dig a little deeper to figure out why there is such a large turn over.

Promote more from within (this has gotten better) You maybe overlooking talent that you have in your own house instead of hiring from outside the facility. This form of benefit is also great for moral.

Have a little more respect for your employees. This does not mean that you need to pat everyone on the back everyday. However if an employee is already working as hard as they can to take care of the residents adding more tasks to their workload and expecting these tasks to be done in less hours per day is not effective use of your labor. This is especially significant in the support staff; these individuals are here to take care of residents, not employees. If support staff is responsible for cleaning up after or preparing extra food items for the rest of the staff, then time needs to be better balanced or budgeted in these departments. This will enable tasks to be completed without sacrificing quality of service to our residents.

Remember that residents come first! They are our customers and without them we will all be out of a job.

Don't do It!!

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Bremerton, WA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Bremerton, WA

I worked at Extendicare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits were very nice, and pay is the going rate. You get a lot of vacation Working with seniors and their families was an highlight.

Cons

Management is horrible. No one listens they only care about making money at any cost. Un sensitive to those who are dying or families who are having to go through placing their loved ones.

Stop the Micro management and stop be grading your employees all to make a buck. More training needs to happen for people to succeed. There is no training program for new people so they end up getting fired or they get so frustrated that they quit. Care is very poor in the centers do to the lack of employees. Stop hiring those that using drugs and who do not care just because you need to fill the position.

Frustrating

I have been working at Extendicare part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They actually give vacation and Holidays to part times employees.

Cons

They do not seem to care about their employees. Work load is ridiculous for the number of hours they allow me to work. There is no workplace culture. I am too slammed with work that I don't have time to 'socialize'. I have vacation and holidays but when I take them I get so far behind, it is almost not worth it. They refuse to provide coverage when I am off. Was hourly but they changed job titles of everyone in the department so that certain positions could be made salaried......without changing the job at all...other than to add more work. No raise for 3 years, then finally got a raise which made up the difference from the SS increase last year. W2 was actually less last year vs previous year. Have begged for more hours to do my job properly to NHA and even levels above that. No one listens. They seem to care about money. Food budget is even inadequate to feed the residents appropriately. It is difficult to honor preferences because of lack of money to purchase anything besides the bare minimum to produce meals. Policies are set by corporate. Individual facilities cannot change to address their individual needs.

Pay attention to the employees that are actually providing care to the residents. Allow enough hours to complete job. Allow facilities to alter polices if needed. Every facility is not the same.