Extendicare

Updated December 14, 2014
2.1

Extendicare President, CEO, and Trustee Timothy L. Lukenda
Timothy L. Lukenda

Pros
  • The only thing going for this company are the wonderful residents (in 10 reviews)

• The staff nurses and CNAs truly put their heart into the job (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management does not listen (in 5 reviews)

• The work load is unbearable, they expect you to work 10-12 hours and pay you for 8 (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Foreign Corporation

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Greensburg, PA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Greensburg, PA

I have been working at Extendicare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly environment, professional staff.

Cons

Pay rate isn't equal or comparable to neighboring facilities.

When census is low Administration at times just "fills beds to have numbers".

Close to worst company I ever worked for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Extendicare

Pros

average pay and benefits. good location and parking

Cons

VCPI (subsidiary) management shows no respect for employees. it's my way or the high way attitude. to cover their own short-comings management blames problems on employees and also plays employees against each other when it is beneficial for the management's politics.

replace it

Can I say 0 Stars?

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)

I worked at Extendicare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Comforted to have had hard working CENAS. Work with the elderly is so personally rewarding. It was like I gained a bunch of grandparents.

Cons

Unless you have a PRN Xanax order, think twice. State is constantly in the building, management is constantly looking for someone else to blame for problems they may have been able to prevent if they bid to the beckoning of the overwhelmed floor staff. Constantly created more busy work to do that took away from the already slim time nurses have with the residents at their bedsides. Threats from management were a daily occurance. Consistency doesn't exist at Extendicare facilities. They love to hire new nurses but hate dealing with new nurse learning curves. They often admit residents that the facility is not equipt to handle, so the frustrated families often take their anger out on the floor staff. I wouldn't wish my year long nightmare on any other nurse, nor would I even consider recommending my worst enemy become a resident at an Extendicare facility. My favorite part of the job was discharging residents home so they were no longer in harms way.

Practice what you preach. Simply answering call lights doesn't qualify as helping us out on the floor. When more than half of your assigned residents are dependant lifts and you have one CENA responsible for each hall, the nurse becomes a CENA in addition to their role as the nurse. I've been a CENA, I'm not afraid to get knee deep in a code brown with those CENAs who are overworked. Instead of looking for staff to blame, please look for staff to strengthen! Be proactive instead of reactive. "you need better prioritizing skills" should never come out of your mouth unless it's followed by here I am to teach you how.

Profits before people.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Extendicare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Co workers were nice and I loved the patients I worked there.

Cons

This company is the definition of the phrase profits before people. Corners are cut in every way possible and the result is patient care suffering. We were always short staffed because of the heavy patient load and low wages compared to other nursing care facilities, so people would leave for another job as soon as they could. As a result, it was a nasty cycle of never having adequate staff which led to many mandated double shifts, which led to unhappy employees and unsafe patient care and even more people leaving the job.

Even if you're hard up for a pay check, it's not worth putting your license at risk. They will ask you to care for an unreasonable amount of patients (again, because they care more about making money than paying for adequate staff) that puts you and your license in jeopardy if something happens.

I do not recommend working here.

Stop caring more about making a profit than safe, effective patient care.

Frightening experience

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Extendicare (less than an year)

Pros

The pay is competitive and the 12 hour shifts are nice if that's what you prefer.

Cons

The facility is understaffed and what staff they do have is unreliable and under-trained. There is no such thing as sterile field there and clients continue to get sicker instead of better.

Hire more staff and lower the client to staff ratios so the level of care can increase to an acceptable level.

Best of the Worst

Former Employee - CNA in Oconomowoc, WI
    Former Employee - CNA in Oconomowoc, WI

I worked at Extendicare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co-workers and residents are great! That is all I can honestly say about this place. From the very top of the ladder down to the managers, no one really cares about the cna's and they are the ones who work the hardest!

Cons

Everything about the management and corporate is about money and how to spend less on pay for the employees and how to keep more in their pockets! I would not recommend this facility to anyone who has a pulse!

Get some people in the place that care just a little bit and it would be an improvement! Overworked and understaffed is the status quo. The residents are the one's who suffer! It is so sad. They deserve to be in a place where they are respected at the last years of their lives.

Do not work for!!

Current Employee - STNA in Stow, OH
    Current Employee - STNA in Stow, OH

I have been working at Extendicare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can pick up a lot of hours. Horrible horrible horrible

Cons

Short staffed all the time, they don't care about the employees, you get paid lowest rate around, you are a human punching bag for the residents and they do nothing to protect you. If you get hurt, good luck getting to write an incident report. They short staff purposefully so that the higher ups get bonuses. I tried to go PRN because of my schedule, they agreed to a schedule change, and then when it came time...they gave me occurrences and said they never talked to me about a schedule change. This is after three years of employment. They keep staff that sleep most of their shift as residents lay in wet beds and then management seems to pick on the hard workers. Half the employees their have horrible attitudes and it's hard to work there. There are no reviews and little raises if any.

Appreciate your employees and treat them better. You are truly a psych facility and you need to medicate better or do something to protect the nurses and aides from being hurt. I have been knocked unconscious and had a contusion (also hurt many other times) and you did nothing. All for $10/hr. Our jobs are hard already and you make it worse with your constant badgering. There's never a "good job" given or a thank you. It's only what we need to add onto our list of "to-dos". Pay more an hour...you get what you pay for and keep the "bad" employees.

Unless you want horrible management say no.

I worked at Extendicare

Pros

The staff were friendly and the facility itself was very nice. No other pros besides that.

Cons

Bad pay. Bad management. Nothing detailed. Jammed rooms. Neglected patients.

Learn how to care about your staff. They aren't trash.

Excellent atmosphere,team work environment

Former Employee - Dietitian in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Dietitian in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Extendicare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits were affordable with competitive salary. Great time off and leave policy. Helped pay for some continuing education. The team I worked with worked efficiently and well together.

Cons

No where really for the dietitian to work her way up, work can get monotonous at times.

Very busy

I have been working at Extendicare full-time

Pros

people, location, pay, work environment

Cons

The departments don't work together they all work in silo's

talk to the workers to see how things really are