Extendicare Reviews

Reset
1.0
Extendicare President, CEO, and Trustee Timothy L. Lukenda
Timothy L. Lukenda

Pros
  • The residents are wonderful and there are a lot of caring people who get the job done at the facility level (in 10 reviews)

• The staff nurses and CNAs truly put their heart into the job (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible disrespect by upper management (beyond Administrator level) (in 5 reviews)

• They couldn't keep people working there and were always short staffed (in 4 reviews)

1. RN

Former Employee - Director of Nursing in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Director of Nursing in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Extendicare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with!

Cons

Regional support from corporate was very haphazard

Advice to Management

Look closely at what regional directors are doing to create turnover

2. Joke

Pros

The STNA's work really hard together I loved my coworkers.

Cons

Ungreatful, Childish Games, untrusting set people up to fail.

3. Bogus bonus structure

Former Employee - Director of Nursing in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Director of Nursing in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Extendicare full-time

Pros

Easy to get promoted because nobody wants to be in management with this company.

Cons

Does NOT pay out bonuses to management. Even with a deficiency free survey they will still not pay. Scandalous company that does not care about their employees.

Advice to Management

Pay out the claimed bonus structure available. Take care of the employees who do their part.

5. RN - dangerous nurse to patient ratios, neglectful environment

Former Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Menomonee Falls, WI
    Former Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Menomonee Falls, WI

Pros

Friendly co-workers who will help you out whenever you need

Cons

I've been one CNA to 20 patients at this place. One nurse to 35 patients. Dangerously understaffed

Advice to Management

Fix your dangerous staffing. Spending the money on extra employees will mean less fines from the state--why don't you understand this concept?

6. Horrible

Pros

Great resident , but it's not for everyone it's a behavioral facility. A lot if extra hours to always pick up

Cons

Short staffed all the time . Management won't listen and don't help, will not fix problems even if you take it all the way to the top of management!

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff

7. Very stressful.

Former Employee - Registered Nurse
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse

Pros

I can't think of any pros for this company

Cons

Too many things to do even for the most talented time manager, understaffed.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees.

Stay away!

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Menomonee Falls, WI
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Menomonee Falls, WI

Pros

That's not why I'm writing this review....

Cons

Nurses: this facility will set you up for failure and/or burnout. Your license is not safe here. The workload is ridiculous, management is a joke, and no employee here is happy. The systems and policies are archaic and create mistakes.

9. Close to worst company I ever worked for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

average pay and benefits. good location and parking

Cons

VCPI (subsidiary) management shows no respect for employees. it's my way or the high way attitude. to cover their own short-comings management blames problems on employees and also plays employees against each other when it is beneficial for the management's politics.

Advice to Management

replace it

10. Can I say 0 Stars?

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)

I worked at Extendicare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Comforted to have had hard working CENAS. Work with the elderly is so personally rewarding. It was like I gained a bunch of grandparents.

Cons

Unless you have a PRN Xanax order, think twice. State is constantly in the building, management is constantly looking for someone else to blame for problems they may have been able to prevent if they bid to the beckoning of the overwhelmed floor staff. Constantly created more busy work to do that took away from the already slim time nurses have with the residents at their bedsides. Threats from management were a daily occurance. Consistency doesn't exist at Extendicare facilities. They love to hire new nurses but hate dealing with new nurse learning curves. They often admit residents that the facility is not equipt to handle, so the frustrated families often take their anger out on the floor staff. I wouldn't wish my year long nightmare on any other nurse, nor would I even consider recommending my worst enemy become a resident at an Extendicare facility. My favorite part of the job was discharging residents home so they were no longer in harms way.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. Simply answering call lights doesn't qualify as helping us out on the floor. When more than half of your assigned residents are dependant lifts and you have one CENA responsible for each hall, the nurse becomes a CENA in addition to their role as the nurse. I've been a CENA, I'm not afraid to get knee deep in a code brown with those CENAs who are overworked. Instead of looking for staff to blame, please look for staff to strengthen! Be proactive instead of reactive. "you need better prioritizing skills" should never come out of your mouth unless it's followed by here I am to teach you how.

11. Profits before people.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Extendicare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co workers were nice and I loved the patients I worked there.

Cons

This company is the definition of the phrase profits before people. Corners are cut in every way possible and the result is patient care suffering. We were always short staffed because of the heavy patient load and low wages compared to other nursing care facilities, so people would leave for another job as soon as they could. As a result, it was a nasty cycle of never having adequate staff which led to many mandated double shifts, which led to unhappy employees and unsafe patient care and even more people leaving the job. Even if you're hard up for a pay check, it's not worth putting your license at risk. They will ask you to care for an unreasonable amount of patients (again, because they care more about making money than paying for adequate staff) that puts you and your license in jeopardy if something happens. I do not recommend working here.

Advice to Management

Stop caring more about making a profit than safe, effective patient care.

RSS Feed </> Embed