Extendicare

Updated December 14, 2014
2.1

Extendicare President, CEO, and Trustee Timothy L. Lukenda
Timothy L. Lukenda

Pros
  • The only thing going for this company are the wonderful residents (in 10 reviews)

• The staff nurses and CNAs truly put their heart into the job (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management does not listen (in 5 reviews)

• The work load is unbearable, they expect you to work 10-12 hours and pay you for 8 (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Don't do It!!

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Bremerton, WA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Bremerton, WA

I worked at Extendicare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits were very nice, and pay is the going rate. You get a lot of vacation Working with seniors and their families was an highlight.

Cons

Management is horrible. No one listens they only care about making money at any cost. Un sensitive to those who are dying or families who are having to go through placing their loved ones.

Stop the Micro management and stop be grading your employees all to make a buck. More training needs to happen for people to succeed. There is no training program for new people so they end up getting fired or they get so frustrated that they quit. Care is very poor in the centers do to the lack of employees. Stop hiring those that using drugs and who do not care just because you need to fill the position.

Money Before People

Current Employee - CNA
    Current Employee - CNA

I have been working at Extendicare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The only good things about this company are the employees that work the floor, i.e. nurses, cnas, housekeeping, and kitchen staff. The floor staff shows good teamwork and a genuine love for the people they take care of, (which makes up for the lack of proper supplies and equipment and a shortage of staff on the floor)

Cons

Management is non existent until they have a complaint about you. The company in general puts money before the quality of the care and equipment needed for the residents. Raises are practically non existent. The CNAs are continually short staffed, not only working multiple double shifts in a week, but the staff to patient ratio is horrid; averaging 15 people per aid.

Stop thanking your staff 'for all that they do' it's just empty words. Start actually supporting them and give them the number of staff and the equipment they need to do their job properly.

Corporate needs to wake up and listen

Current Employee - Culinary Department in Midland, MI
    Current Employee - Culinary Department in Midland, MI

I have been working at Extendicare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The residents are wonderful and there are a lot of caring people who get the job done at the facility level.

Cons

No yearly reviews. Raises eliminated for over two years to the working individuals because of managements failure to balance budgets. Facility is greatly understaffed and turn over is horrendous. Hard working individuals are at times unappreciated and micromanaged, sometimes expected to pick up the slack for those who do not do their jobs instead of holding these slackers accountable for their shortcomings. Too much emphasis on seniority instead of skill and hard work. Management consults employees for advice but then does nothing with the advice they seek or turns suggestions into something negative instead of being enlightened by it.

Give yearly reviews. This will help employees to keep up the consistency of their strong skills and set goals to improve on skills they may not even realize need polished.

Give deserving individuals raises based on merit. Instead of waiting for the union to mandate such benefits in a contract. A good employee should not be receiving the same amount as a person who does not do their jobs to the best of their abilities. By the way, 15 cents for a first installment of a .75 raise after two years is an insult to all employees no matter what the useless union mandates.

Corporate needs to listen to the individuals who are actually doing the jobs, not just pretend to listen. What is the point of giving "anonymous" surveys (I was asked why I did not complete mine, hmm?) if you are not applying these results?

Be more proactive instead of reactive. It is easier to do things correctly instead of fixing a problem after it happens. Dig a little deeper to figure out why there is such a large turn over.

Promote more from within (this has gotten better) You maybe overlooking talent that you have in your own house instead of hiring from outside the facility. This form of benefit is also great for moral.

Have a little more respect for your employees. This does not mean that you need to pat everyone on the back everyday. However if an employee is already working as hard as they can to take care of the residents adding more tasks to their workload and expecting these tasks to be done in less hours per day is not effective use of your labor. This is especially significant in the support staff; these individuals are here to take care of residents, not employees. If support staff is responsible for cleaning up after or preparing extra food items for the rest of the staff, then time needs to be better balanced or budgeted in these departments. This will enable tasks to be completed without sacrificing quality of service to our residents.

Remember that residents come first! They are our customers and without them we will all be out of a job.

Like any job there are good leaders and bad leaders

Former Employee - Sales in Evansville, IN
    Former Employee - Sales in Evansville, IN

I worked at Extendicare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The direct staff and management are mostly good to work with.

Cons

The upper management does not listen. Was told to fill the beds if it's not immoral illegal or unethical . Did not consider the death of a patient as a loss to staff only a loss in census.

Spend time in the buildings on off hours help your team grow

Frustrating

I have been working at Extendicare part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They actually give vacation and Holidays to part times employees.

Cons

They do not seem to care about their employees. Work load is ridiculous for the number of hours they allow me to work. There is no workplace culture. I am too slammed with work that I don't have time to 'socialize'. I have vacation and holidays but when I take them I get so far behind, it is almost not worth it. They refuse to provide coverage when I am off. Was hourly but they changed job titles of everyone in the department so that certain positions could be made salaried......without changing the job at all...other than to add more work. No raise for 3 years, then finally got a raise which made up the difference from the SS increase last year. W2 was actually less last year vs previous year. Have begged for more hours to do my job properly to NHA and even levels above that. No one listens. They seem to care about money. Food budget is even inadequate to feed the residents appropriately. It is difficult to honor preferences because of lack of money to purchase anything besides the bare minimum to produce meals. Policies are set by corporate. Individual facilities cannot change to address their individual needs.

Pay attention to the employees that are actually providing care to the residents. Allow enough hours to complete job. Allow facilities to alter polices if needed. Every facility is not the same.

Administrator keeps under budget to get bonus checks and makes staff go without.

I have been working at Extendicare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Staff stretched way too thin. If salaried, given several added duties. Job description and duties frequently changed at the whim of the administrator. Call duties and weekends and working all three shifts became mandatory after hire for a full time day position.

Cons

"It's Not in the budget". Had to buy and pay for my own office supplies and materials, and provided supplies used even by administrator without being reimbursed.

Let employees evaluate their administrator and DON yearly to be reviewed by Upper Management and base bonuses on tis rather than on budgets.

Interesting

Former Employee - STNA in Milford, OH
    Former Employee - STNA in Milford, OH

I worked at Extendicare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Co-workers, friends, personal learning experiences

Cons

time off policies - asking off in enough time yet they still put you on the schedule

It was "ok"

I worked at Extendicare

Pros

The employees were great we all got along well. Decent pay.

Cons

Do not keep to their promise of schedule, no raises, terrible ethics

Keep better work ethics.

Have been with this company a short time, and I am very disappointed!

Current Employee - DON
    Current Employee - DON

I have been working at Extendicare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Frontline staff are the best and are the ones who need all the praise. The staff nurses and CNAs truly put their heart into the job!

Cons

Micromanagement is beyond belief! If you are a department head you might as well just plan on pushing papers and attending meetings. Cooperate does all the decision making for you! Autonomy does not exists with this company and the company truly does not care about the staff or residents, but only $$$$$$!!!! I am disgusted with this company!

Seriously wake up!

Worst work experience ever.

I worked at Extendicare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people at Pro-Step MIGHT actually care about the patient.

Cons

Filthy, Disgusting, Unclean, No concern for patient safety, a warm body fills a bed. Ever hears of gloves, hand-washing, or antiseptic anything. Horrible patient:provider ratios. Bulldoze all of the facilities and the communities will be better off starting from scratch. The saddest cases are the ones that are able to present a somewhat clean exterior because some unsuspecting family will think their loved one is in a "good" place. Unfortunately they will stay in business for a long time because there are many who need Medicaid beds. Just call it what it is. These are not clean, caring, rehab facilities or even nursing homes. They are shelters.

Honestly?