Extension Healthcare

Updated March 3, 2015
Updated March 3, 2015
3.1

Todd Plesko

Great Company, Great Culture, and Making a Difference!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Extension Healthcare full-time (less than a year)

Pros

We employ the brightest and most talented individuals in all aspects from software development to sales to accounting. The culture is laid back and very team oriented, none of us can really complete, sell, recruit, train without each other. We have everything from team rooms, game room, casual dress, flexible hours, work remote, and wonderful benefits (some of which are company paid). I appreciate that no one is made to feel not as important as the other. Management and executives all have the exact offices, all have an open door policy and are out with the teams and associates most of the days. We are a fast paced growing company and with that can come extra work or a late night here and there, but it doesn't go unnoticed or unappreciated. From things like breakfast, lunch, or dinner being brought in or taking a team out to a movie in the afternoon after a rough sprint. Not to mention we are helping hospitals improve their clinical workflow and saving patient lives. What we are doing makes a difference and going to work everyday knowing that this can help the lives of your family, friends, etc is very rewarding.

Cons

There aren't a lot of cons, if any, that I can think of at this time. If there is it would be minuscule in comparison to the pros.

Keep appreciating your staff and the hard work that they are doing for the company. Give them positive feedback, even when it seems irrelevant or small. People like to hear that they are appreciated and that they are doing something well in their position, it will keep them going. Always remain approachable as you are now. Nothing is worse then feeling like you can't approach your manager or an executive about an issue. Check in with associates from time to time, asking them their concerns, issues, or suggestions, we like giving that feedback. It also opens the door for communication as some may not approach you, but if you open the door first you may get some valuable feedback.

Fast growing, solid managers, great culture

Current Employee - N/A in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - N/A in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Extension Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Passionate management team, strong growth, encourage employee upward mobility, growing brand and image. Most of the people here care about the company and product and people

Cons

Fast growth creates stress. Not a company for the faint of heart....expect to work hard and be pushed.

Slow down to speed up, keep your values and stay focused on us, the employee.

Not What They Pretend to Be

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Extension Healthcare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Interesting concepts and visions; however, not able to execute. Company had a healthy funding base but under more scrutiny by funding organization since Extension has not met key deliverables over the years.

Cons

Culture led by intimidation and fear; product that doesn't live up to it's marketing hype nor capabilities of other middleware; limited market in the federal government since everyone else in the healthcare industry talks to each other and have figured out this is not a good product.

Slow down, invest in people and actual product that delivers what it says it will do.

Terrible work environment

I have been working at Extension Healthcare full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros unless you count free coffee and terribly unhealthy snacks encouraging weight gain and diabetes.

Cons

Management of the software department is terrible. Managers throw temper tantrums and treat their employees like children. Employees are expected to work "until the job is done", meaning if your manager decides to add twice as much to your workload in the middle of the sprint, you are expected to finish the work without question. Employees are overworked, miserable, and criticized incessantly. I have worked there less than a year, worked an average of 50 hours a week, and received positive feedback from my manager twice. Word of advice: the managers will try and seem extremely interesting and courteous during the interview and they will say amazing things about the company. Do not be deceived however; the work environment is a nightmare. Also, the benefits are terrible, definitely not worth the misery of the work environment.

Grow up. Treat your employees like full grown adults, not children. Instead of "rewarding" your employees by awarding them points in a ludicrous point system, pay them the overtime and bonuses they deserve. Provide a balance of power so that employees have a safe space to address concerns. Fire managers who are violent and disrespectful to their employees.

Fast Growing, Exciting, Challenging, and Diverse Experience

Current Employee - Executive in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Executive in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Extension Healthcare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The diversity of people, projects, and customers is refreshing. This is a high growth company in a high growth market. There is a national patient safety goal released by The Joint Commission in 2013 which will fast track many sales opportunities to support even more growth now through the end of 2016. Leadership creates a culture of being open minded and ready to change when necessary.

Cons

Growth causes stress and a requirement to be flexible. Sometimes plans and programs stop before they get started. Immature documentation.

Continue to

Different Company Name - Same Problems

I worked at Extension Healthcare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some smart people out of the middleware and healthcare IT industry who are very driven and passionate - however misdirected.

Cons

Immature and unprofessional senior management team, partially baked and unstable product, poor product training and lack of focus on quality. This product is not a real functioning middleware, it still has a long way to catch up to it's competitors. BUYER BEWARE.

Focus on the clinical needs of customer, staff satisfaction and taking the time to fully develop a product prior to release.

Excellent Growing Company

I have been working at Extension Healthcare

Pros

EXTENSION is a fast-passed, quickly growing company with leading edge technology. Management makes each employee feel cared for and let's them know how much each individual person means to the company.

Cons

Company was established in 2009, it is a small company, but quickly growing. Currently in the transition to becoming something great. There's just a lot of steps in order to do this. Some things do tend to not get properly communicated right away like they should be.

Intelligent, thoughtful and caring for their employees.

The knowledge and vision here is very impressive!

Current Employee - Product Manager in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Extension Healthcare

Pros

Being on the cutting edge of technology is great! There is serious passion and accountability for what we are trying to accomplish here!

Cons

The company is growing really fast! It's a challenge to keep names and new faces straight all the time! We've doubled our space and our staff over the last year!

It's a pleasure to work with such a high caliber group every day!

Should have been better

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Extension Healthcare

Pros

New technology in the healthcare space

Cons

management is young and inexperienced
    they change directions daily