Extensis Reviews

3.7
Osamu Ikeda

1. Great Company, Great People

I have been working at Extensis full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Extensis is an extremely successful company that offers employees a good work/life balance. Management sets realistic expectations and has confidence in their employees to get the job done once they've proven themselves. In the office there is a relaxed atmosphere. The turnover at Extensis is very low (which tells you all you need to know).

The benefits, location, company events, and views from the office are also a nice perk.

Cons

The marketplace we sell into is evolving and is more competitive than it used to be. The company is doing a great job of being proactive and finding competitive advantages.

Great place to work

I have been working at Extensis full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people, the flexibility, benefits and co culture. Great work life balance and smart people to work with every day.
    They value employees and really do walk the talk on flexibility.

Cons

More opportunities for training but that is changing. We don't have many job openings because employees stay for a very long time here and move around within the company.

Communicate core values and continue to listen to employees

Great small company

I have been working at Extensis full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

My happy place is working at a semi-small company where the bureaucracy is at a minimum. Extensis is a place where there are a ton of opportunities to do good, varied work. Just big enough to not pigeon hole people into narrowly defined roles, and not too small that everything is overwhelming and nothing good gets done. Development has moved to a scrum model, which has its benefits in speed and granularity.

Cons

Beer fridge is distracting. No, just kidding, I love the beer fridge. There are of course always some challenging individuals here and there, but mostly it's not too bad and I can successfully navigate the political waters without misstep.

The company has had many changes in leadership over the years and is in the healthiest place that I've seen in a long while. While scrum has been generally positive, there have been growing pains where the process often trumps what we're doing, even though it's often stated as the opposite.

5. Great company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Extensis full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very open and welcoming employees work here. It seems most people enjoy helping each other succeed and make the company better whenever possible. I would say the biggest pro for Extensis is it's great employees.

Senior management is open to change and take suggestions and ideas from employees seriously.

The small company size means decisions can happen quickly (minimal bureaucracy). It is possible to initiate change and see first hand the results of your work. Small size means small teams/departments - which makes it possible to work on projects from beginning to end instead of working on just a small piece of something. This is satisfying and allows employees to take real ownership of their work.

Overall, smart, serious professionals who are a pleasure to work with. Tenure is very long with Extensis, which goes to show people enjoy working here and are happy with the company.

Cons

It's a small company, so advancement can be difficult because of the size of the company. This would be the case with any company of a similar size. It is however possible to switch departments when positions become available, which is great.

Continue to embrace change and think of new and fun ways to motivate employees.

Good work environment, needs product direction.

I worked at Extensis

Pros

Good work environment. Employees are treated well and reimbursed at market rates. The customer base is loyal and appears to offer stability.

Cons

Stagnant product offering and no innovation. It's hard to get excited when the product is moving slowly.

Take some risks and push harder.

Great place

I worked at Extensis

Pros

great people who started the company

Cons

Doesn't have the diverse product line as in the beginning

8. In a time where the average time at a job is less than 3 yrs, there's a reason I've stayed at Extensis for over 8.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Extensis full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Extensis really delivers the employment experience that they promise...they treat employees fairly and with respect, provide a casual and fun environment that makes working hard much more fulfilling, upper management is open and accessible, and the importance of work/life balance is recognized and not just talked about. I've worked for companies that talked the talk...Extensis walks the walk. I wouldn't want to work anywhere else.

Cons

Because of the (convenient) downtown location, on-site parking is expensive. However, they do subsidize parking AND provide monthly transit passes at no cost to the employee. As someone who drives and parks, the cost of parking is a con for me...

9. GREAT place to work

I have been working at Extensis full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people, work environment and company culture are a few of the reasons why Extensis has many long term employees. The employees are smart & talented and the company treats employees well. There is a good work/life balance and great company benefits.

Cons

Career opporunity at a small company can be challenging. We have opportunities like any company but why do so many people come back to Extensis. The reasons listed above. I am female that has been with the company for many years and it's been a terrific place to work.

Not a friendly place for women or minorities.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Extensis full-time (less than a year)

Pros

location; benefits are good. Not much else.

Cons

Product design Communication is bad, up until now they have allowed the developers to decide direction of product despite customer desires. No career advancement. Not a very diverse company and environment is all but hostile to women. If you are the kind of woman that doesn't like communication outside of your job role, or aren't willing to invest 3 times the effort for the same cultural payoff (promotions etc), this isn't the place for you. I don't really find the other employees that friendly, except in the most shallow way possible.

Hire a more diverse staff. Break up the good ol boys network a bit. Sensitivity training should be on your docket. Hiring women or minorities does not equal creating a good culture for them, either, but it would be a start.

Nice people, very poor management and direction

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR

I worked at Extensis

Pros

The working environment is quite nice, most people have offices with doors, and excellent views of downtown Portland. The sales force and QA and tech support are really nice people, and are fun to work with.

Cons

The engineering organization is dysfunctional - they deliberately hide information about products from marketing and project managers, and provide alternatives to marketing that is really outrageous, and then follow up with their real idea. There was no talk of career mobility, just talk and pressure of getting the job done, day after day. The senior leaders deliberately manipulate information or don't tell the entire truth when holding meetings.

Be more transparent to what is going on in the company, and why decisions are being made