Exterran Reviews

D. Bradley Childers

1. pipe fitter

Former Employee - Pipe Fitter in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Pipe Fitter in Houston, TX

I worked at Exterran full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I believe is a good company

Cons

I have no cons with this company

2. Micromanaging is perfected here

Former Employee - Staff Process Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Staff Process Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Exterran full-time

Pros

None, all the Pros gone with the merger...

Cons

Slave drive, not willing to answer the questions when we ask, constant pressure from upper management

Advice to Management

NO ONE should have to work in an environment of fear and intimidation or retaliation for providing feedback. People are moving with their families across the country for the company and no need to be heavily handed with underachievers manipulating director/manager want to be who are much like a fabrication shop supervisors than a managers. Middle management positions with Middle Eastern individuals seem to overplay their hands on any given days and act without any regards to the company's policies...director who can say "...I don't care who does what as long as the job is done..." and "...you work for me not for Exterran..." had made it easy choice to leave Exterran.

3. In transition again

Former Employee - Staff Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Staff Project Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

Established US and international market with local representative and service offices. Good products, good benefits.

Cons

Two major layoffs since 2009. Management still working on optimization of the structure and size. Currently is in downsizing process, which can last during 2015.

Advice to Management

International projects needs better quoting and scheduling. It was a good practice when a special team of experienced specialist were dealing with such projects.

5. QC Inspector Level II

Current Employee - QC Technician in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - QC Technician in Houston, TX

Pros

Good People easy to work with

Cons

No work to keep us employed

Advice to Management

None

Management has a lot to learn

Former Employee - Senior Network Architect in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Network Architect in Houston, TX

I worked at Exterran full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It was great working with many of my peers. We had a lot of smart people that were given the opportunity to work together and made it a fun place to come to every day. I have told them on numerous occasions that if it wasn't for the great people I get to work with every day, I would have left a long time ago. Exterran was also flexible when it came time to take care of the family.

Cons

My biggest complaint is that when you bring in a bad manager that starts running off all your top talent, it's time to look for new management. When you have to rebuild the team from scratch, it takes years to get back to a level of proficiency that is destroyed very quickly by bad management. Benefits have been slowly decreasing especially regarding health care. We used to have a great PPO, but now are highly motivated into the high deductible HSA plan for marginally less than the PPO used to cost. Someone is pocketing the extra money and it isn't the employees. Speaking of extra money, when it comes to bonuses, they pay you out based upon popularity rather than true merit. If you don't kiss up to your manager, then you're lucky to get the minimum bonus for that year. 401(k) matching is only at 1%. HR seems very polarized towards management. They are always confrontational and only seem to side with managers on all matters.

Advice to Management

Management is only concerned with the bottom dollar and doesn't care about the employees. In order to keep your top talent and stop relying on outside service providers, take care of the people you have working for you. The HR department needs to work on establishing a better relationship with the employees rather than an extension of management. When a bad manager comes in and starts running the top talent away, maybe it's time to take a hard look at what type of manager you have and replace them.

7. Office Politics/backstabbing

Former Contractor - Document Control Specialist in Houston, TX
    Former Contractor - Document Control Specialist in Houston, TX

I worked at Exterran as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Can't comment on anything cause I was a temp worker.

Cons

I was temp worker there and a terrible experience as far as back office politics. There seemed to be a lot of back stabbing around and I wasn't really sure why. People were nice for the most part. I just got dragged into something that I was not aware of and I felt that it was ethically wrong. I was new to the company only temp and not every experienced. I guess they planned to have me as a replacement for some of the more experienced temp workers. They weren't going to give that person sufficient notice. Which technically they do not have to to just didn't' make any sense to keep me over that person when they are the ones who trained me. It made me feel like I was caught in the middle.

Advice to Management

I guess just watch your back....

8. Excellent company, greatly expanded my knowledge of gas compression and skid package Assembly

Current Employee - Senior Assembler in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Assembler in Houston, TX

Pros

Treated as family , global leader in oil and gas compression. Great place to learn and grow

Cons

Ups and downs of oil and gas industry

Good company

Current Employee - Planner/Scheduler in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Planner/Scheduler in Houston, TX

I have been working at Exterran full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Supportive work environment, lot of opportunity to grow

Cons

slightly lower than average pay, somewhat higher than average turnover

10. Consulting at Exterran

Current Contractor - Business Solutions Architect in Houston, TX
    Current Contractor - Business Solutions Architect in Houston, TX

I have been working at Exterran as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of different assignments that are all interesting and challenging

Cons

Opportunities for innovation are somewhat limited

Advice to Management

Continue to work closely as a team

11. Good Place to Work

Former Contractor - Systems Administrator in Houston, TX
    Former Contractor - Systems Administrator in Houston, TX

I worked at Exterran as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

- Great Upper Management - Competitive pay - Flexible Hours - Laid back environment - Good people to work with

Cons

There are not very many Cons that I can think of. Your work experience will be different for each department.

RSS Feed </> Embed