Exterro

Exterro Reviews

Updated Jul 3, 2014

Exterro President & CEO Bobby Balachandran

Bobby Balachandran

Great Products, wonderful colleagues, very good company overall

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsThe market is growing and with Exterro's technology there is great potential. The company is very solid and has smart business growth. There are really talented people that work here. Work-life balance is good, summer hours and flexible working schedule. You are responsible for your own work so you can manage your own time. The office space is updated and very nice. Good benefits.

ConsThere are department and inter-department silos and the team work between groups could be better. Processes, forecasting, and planning needs some improvement.

Advice to Senior ManagementUtilizing the skills and talents of your employees. Also conferring with knowledgeable experts on the business and making the changes based on their recommendations. 401K Matching would be nice.

Its a mom-pop shop. Not a company to grow career

Manager (Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsIf you only want to do a job and not worry about career this is the place to be. People who have been here for a long time either hold a lot of shares or are too settled with no empathy towards the company itself

ConsQuite a few. The owners run a tightly controlled ship. There is no autonomy for anything. If you are a junior employee you don't care but if you have prior or little industry experience this is not the place for you.
    Favoritism politics, infighting is rampant
    As a business, growth is flat so no real incentive there.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet it go. Trust your employees. Sometimes they bring more to the table than you think. Also grow the business. You cannot run a corporate as a mom-pop shop at the corner of the street

Wasted Potential

(Current Employee)

ProsThe eDiscovery industry is exploding with opportunity and Exterro has the right products to remedy the imminent pain in the market place. The engineers at Exterro tend to be bright, creative, and agile. The clients are high-caliber, respectable industry leaders.

ConsThe executive management team lacks humility, experience, and transparency. There is a strong culture of intimidation and deceit. Employees are often expected to work extreme hours, upwards of 14 hours per day, without proper compensation. Rather than motivating employees, management tends to threaten jobs and insult workers, often in public settings as to make an example in front of the larger group.
    There is no opportunity for growth at Exterro, as turnover rates are high and employees are assessed on loyalty (submission) to leadership rather than performance and merit.
    Women are treated as inferior to men, as is evident by the continuous departure of female employees over the past few years.
    Compensation fares below industry averages across most departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is not too late to turn the ship around. It is not enough to hire consultants to advise you on growth strategy; you have to actually follow through with the advice you receive, even if it means trimming the fat from the very top.
    Treat people with respect and watch them flourish and in turn, help your business expand! The two most vital organs in any organization are sales and marketing, both of which continue to perform at lackluster levels within Exterro.
    Pay attention to quality in the product itself, as well as the people who represent you in the marketplace.
    strengthen your client services team with leadership who cares more about satisfied clients rather than promotions.
    If you assemble, and nurture, a winning team and add emphasis to the quality of deliverables, you will own the market place and foster a positive workplace. Then you won't have to resort to writing your own positive reviews because your employees will do it for you.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An AMAZING company to be a part of!!!

Manager (Current Employee)
    Portland, OR

Pros- The vision
     - The people
     - The activities
     - The clients
     - The fun
     - We are family
     - We strive for excellence
     - We are on fire to achieve something better each day
     - We are a team
     - We operate cross-functionally
     - We embrace learning opportunities
     - We are empower
     - The opportunity to contribute
     - A place that fosters all levels of contribution
     - A place to learn and grow a career
     - A place to apply your potential and experience
     - Exterro is focused on a vision greater than themselves in the service of our customers.
     - Exterro is innovative and adaptive
     - Exterro is invested

ConsI cannot report any cons worthy of note. The reality is companies are made by everyone involved and this company is made up of fantastically talented and able people making a dream a reality on a daily basis for the market we serve. I am honored to be a part of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work - I love it here! I am excited for what you're doing and where we're headed. I am proud to work hard for you and am thankful for the opportunity to experience the lifelong and evolving journey of excellence.

Don't Work Here

N/A (Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsThe kitchen/breakroom was nice. There's plenty of parking. It's an easy drive to the office from I-5 and 217. Most of the staff are from India which creates a very pleasant multicultural work environment.

ConsEveryone is protective of their job space and in constant fear of losing their job. No one is allowed to know anything that's going on. They pay their employees very little and control them using intimidation. The turnover is, not suprisingly, very high. Most of the engineering staff is in India. This creates a 24/7 mindset about the workday. They expect everyone to work excessive amounts of overtime.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop posting fake "reviews" on this site.

Exterro is a good employer.

Portland, OR

ProsThese are the pros that I have found while working at Exterro. The employee relations are good. The approachability of management and ability to have open conversations with the executive team is great. That there is fair treatment for all employees and candidates is a pro for me. They care about diversity and champion that. I enjoy that there are prospects for advancement within the company. Whether you want to change departments or just grow in your own field, Exterro is very open to that. It is a growing business, they are constantly trying to support their employees and create a fun workplace that fosters creativity and work-life balance.

ConsExterro is a place where individual that want to succeed, do. It is not the place for you if you don’t like working or building something together. The people here work very close with each other and enjoy collaboration.

Not like it was portrayed through the hiring process.

Portland, OR

ProsHigh-growth market. Great place to learn about eDiscovery industry. High profile customers. Relatively good, relevant products. Some great employees, particularly in engineering, implementation and support.

ConsSome unprofessional, immature sales people tolerated because they have been with the co. from the beginning. High turnover otherwise.
    Co. is owned and managed by several engineers (who are related).

Advice to Senior ManagementHand over managment to business experts, not engineers.
    Share the success of the company with the employees.
    Don't tolerate unprofessional behavior in anyone.

Senior executives will drive this company into the ground.

(Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsOther than the senior executives, and 1 or 2 questionably educated sales people, Exterro's employees are smart, talented people who make the day fun. The industry is fantastic and Exterro has some amazing clients.

ConsThe founding executives have absolutely no idea what they are doing. They place absolutely no emphasis on work quality so the products have way too many problems. They don't listen to their clients who tell them the same thing and as an employee, if you point this out and try to make a change, the execs tell you that you're "not on the bus" and should leave. No criticism is allowed even if meant to be constructive.

I agree with the other reviewer about HR. In addition, everyone is expected to work 12-16 hour days, and be on call outside of that. And if you do something well, you are rarely praised, appreciated or rewarded for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementStep aside. Hire some outside management consultants and FOR ONCE listen to what they tell you to do. You are ruining what could be a great company and your own reputations in this very small industry.

Best Place to work and cool Infrastructure

Quality Analyst (Former Employee)
    Coimbatore (India)

ProsExterro is the best place to learn new technologies, I have learnt lot of things in my carrier which many big companies failed to provide...... Infrastructure is pleasant and peaceful.... Growing more stronger.... When i had a chance to walk in last week and felt like missing many great things and new changes... Really exterro has UNIQUE Infrastructure

ConsIf you really have the stuff and talent, you will get shape in few years.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat Management skills

Experience Excellence @ Exterro!!

Senior Quality Analyst (Former Employee)
    Coimbatore (India)

ProsExterro being leader in Gartner Magic Quadrant has their world class product to serve the entire EDRM cycle from Identification to Production. Everyone here has great opportunity to learn the cutting edge technologies and a great learning platform. NO WHERE else but HERE you will have the SPACE to think BIG.
    The giant legend is stepping foot into Big data and Information Governance, a next step ahead in the eDiscovery domain. Here you can feel a clean and flat organization structure, where anyone is open to approach any one for help and suggestions. This greatly motivates even the freshers to move across the teams and get things clarified.

ConsBeing a growing company every employee should have the patience to accept gradual changes i.e. people have to be matured enough to accept the fact that "You grow with the company and company grows with you".

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep motivating the employees now and forever.. they are ready to contribute lot more to Exterro..

Worked for Exterro? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Exterro reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Exterro CEO Bobby Balachandran. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by Exterro employees.