Extra Space Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.7
Spencer F. Kirk

Pros
  • There's a pretty good work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• The company is growing so there are plenty of changes and everyone is adapting along with you (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management will retaliate against anyone who questions their methods (in 5 reviews)

• Sometimes advancement can be difficult, and sometimes when they do promote from within they will promote someone who is not great at the job (in 3 reviews)

1. Great place to grow

I have been working at Extra Space full-time

Pros

Extra Space is an excellent company to grow your career! Promotion from within is the primary goal for all openings. Apply if you want to work for a great company.

Cons

No real cons to working here. It's like any job with pros and cons. A lot more pros here.

2. Demanding job but rewarding

Current Employee - Store Manager in DFW, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in DFW, TX

I have been working at Extra Space full-time

Pros

Fast paced, challenging and rewarding. Lots of variety of tasks both inside and outside. Working with the public. Sales incentives and contests to supplement hourly pay.

Cons

Learning the job on the fly. Black uniforms in the Texas heat. Would like a cooler uniform with a more feminine style for the women. NO overtime allowed and often necessary in the spring and summer.

Advice to Management

Revamp training. Create procedures manual for computer functions. More hands on training for computer functions and less focus on how to clean and roll play. Help desk that takes calls for immediate assistance for computer functions.

3. Great Career Move!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company culture focused on customer service. Pay and benefits are competitive. Benefits start day 1 which is nice. The company seems to have a lot of activities throughout the year to keep employees rewarded and engaged. It's exciting to be working for the leader in the self-storage industry.

Cons

There isn't really an established new hire orientation or training. You get to meet with a few people on your first day but it isn't structured.

5. Not recommended

Current Employee - Property Accountant in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Property Accountant in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits start on your first day. Various company activities throughout the year. Business casual dress code. Some flexibility in work hours.

Cons

Low pay, heavy workload, no work/life balance, inconsistent & insufficient training, negative work environment, expensive insurance, bad communication, high turnover, and few opportunities for advancement. Workload isn't distributed evenly between employees doing the same job with the same pay. This company takes advantage of good employees and burns them out. Anyone with real potential leaves in the first year.

Advice to Management

Make sure the employees you have in supervisory and managing positions have the people skills to be in that role. Distribute the workload more evenly and offer better pay to keep the good employees around. Try to integrate some of the many many systems you have the accountants using on a daily basis.

Stable and secure, but long term vision is shortsighted

I have been working at Extra Space full-time

Pros

Extra Space is a stable company that was in the right place at the right time during the recession and has an economic rent in the short to medium term within the industry. That is, the company bought assets in limited supply at a favorable price and doesn't have to work that hard to do reasonably well. This makes for a fairly stable place to work where long hours are not generally the norm, but compensation generally matches this. There are certainly exceptions where compensation and payrates are more competitive.

Cons

The company talks a big game on innovation, but is afraid to really commit and take financial risk on innovative ideas that will be revenue drivers 10 or 20 years out. Even shorter term operational projects end up being a bit hamstrung by resource constraints resulting in sub-optimal results. Career advancement is limited, as a general rule, unless you make the right impression with senior leadership early in your career with the company.

Advice to Management

Budget and commit adequate funds to try new products/service delivery models now. A penny or two of FFO now could be worth a dollar in FFO 10 years from now. Supply and market dynamics will not stay as they are now indefinitely.

7. Not a Positive Environment

Current Employee - Reservationist in South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Reservationist in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good starting pay when I started. The hours of operations isn't 24 hours so the latest schedule is 12-8pm.

Cons

They change the commission structure constantly to reflect you getting less and less with every change. Benefits are very pricey especially if your looking for a family plan. The moral in the National center is horrible and very negative. The management definitely plays favorites to certain employees and it's obvious who they are.

Advice to Management

You need better benefits all around. Also you need to treat everyone the same and make as much time for agent A as you do for agent B. The work place should be a positive place and it isn't and i think a lot has to do with the singling out and favoritism going on.

8. Company that has potential

Current Employee - Property Manager in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not a lot of micro-management. Overall job duties are easy. Helping customers can be nice.

Cons

Working on Saturdays, constant changes to the company forcing you to "keep up" and learn new policies and procedures almost on a weekly basis, corporate/upper management expects way more out of you than what is actually listed on the application, working in extreme cold and heat.

Advice to Management

Pay better attention to what's going on with your lower level employees, they are the ones doing the real leg work.

Proceed with Caution

Former Employee - District Manager in Hillside, NJ
    Former Employee - District Manager in Hillside, NJ

I worked at Extra Space full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Depending on the personality of your immediate supervisor; it can be a great place to work.

Cons

The higher you move up in the company the more political it gets. If you don't brown nose, then you will be stuck in the same position..

Advice to Management

Stick to the core values of the company, versus becoming to departmentalized

10. Property Accountant

Former Employee - Property Accountant in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Property Accountant in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Extra Space (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to get accounting experience. Friendly people, good management.

Cons

Too much of a corporate rigid structure for me.

Miss this job.

Former Employee - Resident Property Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Resident Property Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Extra Space full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Freedom to work without someone always looking over your shoulder. My property was doing well financially and that gave me freedom to do things my way. So long as numbers were riding I felt respected and cared about. The customers are from all walks of life and you meet new people every day. Once I got a chance to speak with my DVP, he turned out to be one of the best and most motivational bosses I've had. My DM didn't like me talking to his boss though.

Cons

Sometimes they would actually search just to find anything out of place to complain about. A little oil and dirt in the tracks of the elevator done should be okay when the property is otherwise perfect. Never made a big deal about all I did right, but wouldn't let anything go that wasn't. Sometimes hard to communicate effectively with people above the DM. Any communication with upper management from a store manager seemed frowned upon. Too many politics and backstabbing managers who will do unethical things to make you look inferior to them or to get your property. Slow discipline by corporate lets the damage her too bad before removing a bad employee.

Advice to Management

Store managers know best what improvements the customers at a certain site want to see. Listen to what they say. Also, be on the managers side in disputes instead of belittling them in front of customers. Sometimes the foreclosure ger is worth waiving to keep high paying customers. If a free lock will keep a customer after theirs was cut for foreclosure, just okay the manager to give them out. Free locks are appreciated especially when a customer should not have been cut in the first place. To me, a nice card and a coffee mug would be a better bonus during the holidays. $100 and a letter about how its to show appreciation for all my hard work is a little insulting when the property I run brings in a net profit of $35000 a month. I gave there years of my life to doing the best and in the end due to an error by my DM the month of notice I gave before leaving resulted in somehow being fired for supposedly abandoning my post.

RSS Feed </> Embed