Extra Space

Updated November 24, 2014
Updated November 24, 2014
3.2

Spencer F. Kirk

Pros
  • Great training programs, ongoing training and development of skills (in 4 reviews)

• Besides the customer service the client recieve, I dont see no Pros working for this company (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management can be a little too critical about one-time mess-ups (in 4 reviews)

• Low pay for the amount they are making (a lot) (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Flexibility!

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I actually have recommended this company to several friends. The work-life balance is amazing and people at every level take advantage of it. It's not something that the company "offers" but people are too afraid to take advantage of. As long as you get high quality work done on time, you can have a lot of flexibility in your work schedule, make day-time appointments, etc. The benefits and pay are sufficient, and there are promotion opportunities for hard workers.

Cons

There is a paradox between the company always telling people to get "fit" as part of the HR/health insurance message, and then all of the free soda in the fridge, and donuts, bagels, and barbecue handed out all the time. If you don't have much willpower, you will have to watch your waistline. The treats are pretty constant. Also, especially among the older employees, there is a pretty strong resistance to change which is annoying when trying to make even small changes.

As a public health measure, please consider taking away the free soda. It is inconsistent with the company's other messaging and poor health habits reduce work performance. Also, in the new building, I hope you will consider some standing desks and a locker room to help support healthy habits and attract high caliber employees who are hard-working and not resistant to change.

Phenomenal Company

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is by far the best company that I have ever worked for. The management truly cares about the employees and their growth and development. The company is always motivating us to be the best and to do our best

Cons

There is not a lot of upward mobility in my position. It is a great company to start a career in my field but not a lot of long term advancement.

Great company to work for. One big team.

Current Employee - FACILITY SERVICES MANAGER in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - FACILITY SERVICES MANAGER in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work, always challenging lots of change and growth. I have been been here many years and its a very proud company and always striving to do it better than the next guy.

Cons

Everyone is overloaded in there job task very demanding most of the time.

Lose of access to higher level management as we get bigger and more layers are added. Still very approachable but harder to reach at times everyone's time is used up very busy company. Don't loose close team feeling that makes us so successful.

Great place to work

I have been working at Extra Space full-time

Pros

Good work-life balance. Management recognizes personal effort. Fun place to work. Freedom to perform most of your responsibilities in your own way.

Cons

Most employees like working for Extra Space, you have to work hard to get promoted! (If that can be considered a con).

Continue to listen those in the front lines as you have so far.

Very satisfied!

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've worked at the Extra Space corporate location for less than a year. I have been really impressed at the quality of talent found here. There are a lot of really smart people which always creates a wonderful environment for learning from others and producing quality work.

Pay is very competitive and from what I have seen, they definitely promote from within when they can.

Company cares about your feedback. We recently had a town-hall meeting in which we voices all types of concerns to the CEO and the rest of the executive team. They also send surveys to rate people you work with, including your boss.

They have a great fit reimbursement program where they reimburse you 50% of gym fees/fitness equipment etc up to $500 (they will reimburse $250 each year).

The company is booming and probably will for a very long time. It's a very technologically savvy company and that makes things run so much better than if you were to work somewhere where they were behind on technology.

Chief executive team is wonderful. They are definitely approachable.

Overall, I cannot complain. It's a great corporate job with amazing pay. I love my job and I work with really smart coworkers.

Cons

Long hours at some departments, need for more flexible schedules for all departments.

Benefits are better than average, but not amazing.

Flex schedule options would be great, even if its just a few hours a week so you can go run errands that are really needed during the week. As long as the work gets done, I don't see a problem with allowing for some flexibility. I love the accounting department's flexibility.

Couldn't be happier to work here!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Many opportunities to learn and grow. Fantastic group of people in all departments which makes a fun work place environment.

Cons

I have yet to discover any personal cons of working here.

Management does a great job of communicating and being in touch with all employees and departments. They make a real effort to listen to the problems and concerns of employees, not just the various managers.

Fun, often challenging work but typical corporate politics

Current Employee - Project Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The work is engaging and challenging. The company is growing so there are plenty of changes and everyone is adapting along with you. Open lines of communication with executives and "higher-ups" makes the corporate structure a little less intimidating. Great pay and excellent perks.

Cons

I was hired into a new department with a supervisor who had never had a direct report before. It was difficult getting to know my way around the work while not having much help from others. Departmental power struggles are pretty prevalent and the expectations are not clear.

Improve training for supervisors and leadership BEFORE hiring new people. Standardize hiring process across departments and provide mentors for new hires that are outside of their department.

A solid, innovative company with a great work-life balance

Current Employee - Information Technology in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Extra Space is a very stable company with high ethics. It's large enough that you get stability and upward mobility, but small enough that you can really effect change and make a difference. The company has always invested a lot in technology and training, so employees have the tools to do a great job. The IT and Marketing departments especially are at the cutting edge of innovation, which is exciting to be a part of. The people here are talented and fun to work with. In an age where workers are frequently changing jobs, Extra Space stands out to me as a company you'll be tempted to make a career out of.

Cons

Extra Space is undergoing some company culture changes right now, which is a good thing, but it's not always easy to kick old habits. I'm optimistic that we're moving in the right direction though.

Continue listening to employees' concerns and suggestions. You have done well at that recently and made many positive changes. Make it a priority to keep salaries and benefits competitive in order to attract and retain talent.

Great company, great leadership, great colleagues

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Extra Space is a company with a proven track record in good times and bad. It is led by an executive team that cares about integrity and doing the right thing. After working in four other settings, I've never enjoyed coming to work each day as much as I do at Extra Space. The people I work with are intelligent and professional, but they are also delightful and caring.

Cons

A little behind the times with respect to flex-time and remote work options, but headed in the right direction.

Property Accountant

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's a solid company with good benefits. Really values its employees and spend a lot of resources to make employees feel supported.

Cons

They use a lot of different applications which they are working to merge in the coming year so once that happens it will not be a con.