Extra Space

Updated December 9, 2014
Updated December 9, 2014
3.7

Spencer F. Kirk

Pros
  • The work-life balance is amazing and people at every level take advantage of it (in 8 reviews)

• Company is growing fast and returning a lot for shareholders (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Recent changes have led to some feeling like they can't trust upper-management (in 5 reviews)

• Sometimes advancement can be difficult, and sometimes when they do promote from within they will promote someone who is not great at the job (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Work Hard, Play Hard

Current Employee - Division Vice President in Voorhees, NJ
    Current Employee - Division Vice President in Voorhees, NJ

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Extra Space is a growth oriented company that continues to stay focused on their people being the number one asset. They offer continued training and advancement opportunities for individuals who have the skill, passion and drive to do so. The company looks for high energy people which make the work environment fun and rewarding.

Cons

Compensation and benefits are decent, but the benefits cost more than average.

Maintain the open communication to and from all levels of the organization.

Amazing Company that Delivers Balance

Current Employee - Director in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Director in Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

-Works hard to promote from within, many internal development programs available to all departments
    -Employee focused, we consider the employee impact when we make decisions
    -Fair compensation, especially within our industry
    -Great recognition programs, includes all employees
    -Company is continuing to grow throughout the US
    -Seasonal Business, but seasonality allows you to spend time with family during holiday times (slow in winter, busy in summer)
    -Truly Amazing Executive Leadership, always inspiring

Cons

-Low paying industry
    -Costly Medical benefits, but available to everyone
    -Some Divisions are very spread out, central US mostly.

Keep doing a great job, what you do makes this a great place to work!

Great Culture With A Growing/Stable Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Has a culture that in my opinion cannot be beat. They trust and allow employees to do their job with the ability of being creative and open to improving processes. Allow for a good balance of family and work. The company values its employees and knows they are one of their largest assets. The company is very stable and continues to grow, leading to potential promotion opportunities. From my experience, the company looks to hire from within whenever feasible and notices those that put forth extra effort. They put a large focus on technology as a means to give them a competitive edge. As such, change is rampant and constant.

Cons

Decent Health Insurance but not the best. Salary ranges are on the lower scale for the market.

More of an effort to recognize those employees that are constantly are doing a great job. They majority of the renegotiation award focus on employees step up in one or two single scenarios.

This is the best place I have ever worked. The growth opportunities have been unmatched.

Current Employee - District Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - District Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The greatest asset this company offers is its work culture. I have never felt more connected to others in the workplace. The time that is given on each individual's growth and development has been excellent. I love the dedication this company has given me, and in return I am ever dedicated to Extra Space.

Cons

As the company continues to grow, there runs a risk of losing some of that great culture that makes Extra Space a great place to work. What is natural to growth is the difficulty it is to stay and feel connected with everyone.

I honestly give this company 5 stars because I love working here. Please make sure that the culture stays alive and never changes. Change is always happening here, including people and personalities, but we should always dedicate time and energy to keeping the Extra Space culture alive and thriving!

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Accountant in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Accountant in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work / life balance
    Tremendous learning opportunities for entry level accountants.
    Strong management team
    Opportunity to work on all aspects of property accounting and take on aspects of corporate responsibility as well

Cons

Fairly typical time off policy, but no bereavement. Management has been doing a better job recently of getting property accountants more involved in the decision making, but could still use some improvement.

Excellent company to work for

I have been working at Extra Space part-time

Pros

The management team at Extra Space is always open to feedback and strives to address any problems that arise. They are responsive, proactive and concerned about employees on every level. It is a very positive work environment that keeps me challenged with differing tasks every day.

Cons

I wasn't given any particular training for my job. I was expected to accept the assignments given to me and find a solution. It took me a while to figure out that I was on my own to discover how the company works and who to go to for advice. Now my job is running smoothly and the balance between work and my personal life is excellent.

Thanks for being open to constant improvement and for working so hard to provide a positive work environment.

Totally apply! It's AMAZING HERE.

Current Employee - NSC Agent in South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - NSC Agent in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great work ethics, amazing team and talented coaches. Much passion for helping others, storage is actually a big deal. Great, competitive pay, you could support a family.

Cons

I would say the commission scale could use some work. The commission you lose for numbers that aren't always in your control seems unfair. Not much of a chance to move up in the call center, but throughout the company there are plenty. The late shift is not exactly convenient, but it works really well if you don't have a family. It feels like the company is being too driven by investors and that we may be slipping toward a greedy mode.

This company values its employees. They try very hard to express that gratitude. We do have a lot of team uniting events and activities as well. I would say the company is pretty spot on with what a #1 employer should be.

Extra Space Response

Dec 9, 2014Director Talent Aquisition

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review on Glass Door. I also agree that Extra Space is amazing!
    We appreciate reviews both positive and negative as it helps us continue to create an
    ... More

Above Average

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Extra Space full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You work in an office environment so you're pretty much relaxed and can socialize with co-workers to pass time, but there will be A LOT of time spent on the phone. You get to meet some interesting people working here - customers and employees. Feels good to know that you helped a customer in an emergency situation (you will get a lot of these). Higher management really value their employees here, and listen to any suggestions you may have.

Cons

The pay could be better. I wish we got paid commission on certain products or higher bonuses were given. You have to complete these annoying online training classes, a total of like 400. Even though you're title is an Assistant Manager, you don't have any delegating abilities because EVERYONE (except the Store Manager) is an Assistant Manager. You will get hundreds of complaints from customers regarding rent increases and auctioned off units; so you have to have a thick skin about this.

Take better care of your current customers by giving them an incentive to stay with the company instead of solely focusing on how to get new ones.

Flexibility!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I actually have recommended this company to several friends. The work-life balance is amazing and people at every level take advantage of it. It's not something that the company "offers" but people are too afraid to take advantage of. As long as you get high quality work done on time, you can have a lot of flexibility in your work schedule, make day-time appointments, etc. The benefits and pay are sufficient, and there are promotion opportunities for hard workers.

Cons

There is a paradox between the company always telling people to get "fit" as part of the HR/health insurance message, and then all of the free soda in the fridge, and donuts, bagels, and barbecue handed out all the time. If you don't have much willpower, you will have to watch your waistline. The treats are pretty constant. Also, especially among the older employees, there is a pretty strong resistance to change which is annoying when trying to make even small changes.

As a public health measure, please consider taking away the free soda. It is inconsistent with the company's other messaging and poor health habits reduce work performance. Also, in the new building, I hope you will consider some standing desks and a locker room to help support healthy habits and attract high caliber employees who are hard-working and not resistant to change.

Extra Space Response

Dec 9, 2014Director Talent Aquisition

Thank you for the comments and most of all thanks for referring Extra Space as a great place to work.
    Our wellness team is in agreement with you on taking away the free soda. The challenge is that
    ... More

Great Work Environment

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at Extra Space full-time

Pros

Extra Space has cultivated a positive work environment where hard work is rewarded. I love that I get recognition for what I do, and that management recognizes when the job gets difficult. The company is always looking to improve and we are on the forefront of the industry for technology, security, and employee development.

Cons

At this point in my career I will have to relocate to advance in position. That is unfortunate, and I may have to leave if nothing closer comes available.