Extra Space Reviews

Updated October 16, 2014
Updated October 16, 2014

Spencer F. Kirk

Pros
  • Great training programs, ongoing training and development of skills (in 4 reviews)

• Besides the customer service the client recieve, I dont see no Pros working for this company (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management can be a little too critical about one-time mess-ups (in 4 reviews)

• District Managers abuse their power (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great opportunity

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Retail without the hours, good benefits, opportunity to grow if your willing to work hard, closed on Sundays at most locations, bonus opportunities, upper management cares what you think

Cons

Some customer can be tough to deal with. Cleaning of unit no matter the weather.

Continue to ask for feedback. Test new systems before rollout. Don't try to be like the competitors. Value the people who bring in the the money everyday.

Overall good place to work

Current Employee - Store Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My favorite thing about the company is it os very employee centered. At the store level we do bonus and recieve good benefits. Also we close at 6 and are closed on Sundays.

Cons

The customers can be crazy and there is no over time available.

You should provide more staff for each store.

Best job I ever had, for a call center....

Former Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Extra Space full-time (less than an year)

Pros

great pay, easy enough schedule, great management and co-workers, small enough call center to feel like you're part of a team

Cons

short lunch, weekend mornings are required shifts

keep up the good work, don't turn into the other call centers.

Company offers advancement only to those that are young with less than 2 years of experience in the comany

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Relaxed Dress Code; snacks and drinks supplied; coworkers are friendly; decent benefits and retirement packages offered

Cons

The company is not good at communicating changes. There is a definite culture of weeding out employees over the age of 45. There is very little chance of advancement, and you "Cap" out at your position salary within 4 years, raises are 1% per year after that. Schedule flexibility used to be a strong reason to stay, this is no longer true. Salaried employees are treated no differently than hourly employees. There is a culture of harassment and contempt. Management treats employees in a distrustful manner.

The salaries are not competitive with the market. Individuals being promoted are not qualified for the positions and qualified persons are being passed over because of age. This company is so concerned with the financial bottom line, you have forgotten how to treat employees.

Okay; very conservative but decent pay.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Extra Space full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get to work alone or just with one person
    Room for promotion

Cons

Favoritism
    Slight prejudices as it is a Mormon company

Time off should be dispersed equally
    Manage,don't should judge off of observation not what they hear from other managers

It's ok, needs improvement

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have worked for Extra Space for about a year, I came here cause I needed a job right after college. The job isn't to hard, some days you work hard but a lot you don't work to hard. It's a pretty laid back job I would have to say, and as long as you are a good people person you'll do fine. The pay is alright, and the bonus is at least money. They do try to train you well, and you have a lot of freedom.

Cons

Sometimes advancement can be difficult, and sometimes when they do promote from within they will promote someone who is not great at the job. But I guess that could be with any company. The pay could be better, especially if you have experience and a college degree in a field that relates to the business.

FIX OMNI!!!, have a better pay scale for employees who have experience and education. Let employees take some Saturdays off, because most of the time Saturdays isn't more busy then any other day.

Great company, not so great benefits.

Current Employee - Site Manager in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Site Manager in Phila, PA

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

ESS is committed to promoting from within. If you are willing to learn you will have opportunities for advancement. You are basically your own boss. Lots of freedom when it comes to scheduling.

Cons

The pay is only so-so and the medical benefits are not good. if you actually need to use them you better have several thousand dollars on hand for your out of pocket expenses.

Just admit Omni is a disaster. It has never worked right and after 3 years I don't see it getting any better. You keep rolling out new 'bells and whistles' but the most basic operations continually malfunction. It's embarrassing that a company that makes this much money created such a flawed system and refuses to correct the situation.

Hard work but rewarding

Current Employee - District Team Lead in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - District Team Lead in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Advancement opportunities are available for those who work hard and stand out above the rest. You can quickly advance through the company. Majority of District managers are fair and understanding but expect you to give 110%. Compensation is fair especially if provided with an apartment. The day to day operations of the store can be hard work and very stressful but rewarding when goals are met and advancements are made.

Cons

Work every Saturday, there has to be an opening before you can advance and some employees get restless waiting for their opportunity.

Godd company

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hours, communication, experience gained, freedom.

Cons

Pay is not all that good. even though you are at one of there biggest locations

The only "space" is the space between the ears of the people in upper management.

Former Employee - Site Manager in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Site Manager in Columbia, SC

I worked at Extra Space full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easiest job I ever had, and the hours were good.

Cons

Upper management. They made this job so much harder. YOU ARE ONLY RENTING CONCRETE!!!!! Plus I was misled and lied to during my interviews about bonus amount and working every Saturday, among others. Corporate is too greedy when it come to the bottom line (but most are). They will schedule you to work by yourself when you are suppose to be with at least another person at the site.

Get a clue. It should be easy when turnover was and probably still is over 50%!!!!!!!!! It is great when payroll is below budget, but not when it sacrifices customer service, employees quitting because they do not have enough co-workers at the sites. And this is something I have never seen in 20+ years.....shutting down sites on several occasions because they did not have an employee to cover the site........payroll good but sales bad!?!