Extra Space Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.8
Spencer F. Kirk

Pros
  • There's a pretty good work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• The company is growing so there are plenty of changes and everyone is adapting along with you (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management will retaliate against anyone who questions their methods (in 5 reviews)

• Sometimes advancement can be difficult, and sometimes when they do promote from within they will promote someone who is not great at the job (in 3 reviews)

1. Property Accountant

Former Employee - Property Accountant in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Property Accountant in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Extra Space (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to get accounting experience. Friendly people, good management.

Cons

Too much of a corporate rigid structure for me.

2. Company that has potential

Current Employee - Property Manager in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not a lot of micro-management. Overall job duties are easy. Helping customers can be nice.

Cons

Working on Saturdays, constant changes to the company forcing you to "keep up" and learn new policies and procedures almost on a weekly basis, corporate/upper management expects way more out of you than what is actually listed on the application, working in extreme cold and heat.

Advice to Management

Pay better attention to what's going on with your lower level employees, they are the ones doing the real leg work.

Proceed with Caution

Former Employee - District Manager in Hillside, NJ
    Former Employee - District Manager in Hillside, NJ

I worked at Extra Space full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Depending on the personality of your immediate supervisor; it can be a great place to work.

Cons

The higher you move up in the company the more political it gets. If you don't brown nose, then you will be stuck in the same position..

Advice to Management

Stick to the core values of the company, versus becoming to departmentalized

Miss this job.

Former Employee - Resident Property Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Resident Property Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Extra Space full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Freedom to work without someone always looking over your shoulder. My property was doing well financially and that gave me freedom to do things my way. So long as numbers were riding I felt respected and cared about. The customers are from all walks of life and you meet new people every day.

Once I got a chance to speak with my DVP, he turned out to be one of the best and most motivational bosses I've had. My DM didn't like me talking to his boss though.

Cons

Sometimes they would actually search just to find anything out of place to complain about. A little oil and dirt in the tracks of the elevator done should be okay when the property is otherwise perfect. Never made a big deal about all I did right, but wouldn't let anything go that wasn't. Sometimes hard to communicate effectively with people above the DM. Any communication with upper management from a store manager seemed frowned upon.

Too many politics and backstabbing managers who will do unethical things to make you look inferior to them or to get your property. Slow discipline by corporate lets the damage her too bad before removing a bad employee.

Advice to Management

Store managers know best what improvements the customers at a certain site want to see. Listen to what they say. Also, be on the managers side in disputes instead of belittling them in front of customers. Sometimes the foreclosure ger is worth waiving to keep high paying customers. If a free lock will keep a customer after theirs was cut for foreclosure, just okay the manager to give them out. Free locks are appreciated especially when a customer should not have been cut in the first place.

To me, a nice card and a coffee mug would be a better bonus during the holidays. $100 and a letter about how its to show appreciation for all my hard work is a little insulting when the property I run brings in a net profit of $35000 a month. I gave there years of my life to doing the best and in the end due to an error by my DM the month of notice I gave before leaving resulted in somehow being fired for supposedly abandoning my post.

Not a Place to Grow

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at Extra Space full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy Work. Set Hours. Nice People.

Cons

Not a career. Employees stay in same positions/same salary for a long time.

Advice to Management

At least make an effort to keep young people. Anyone with potential takes a better job within a year.

7. Property Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Extra Space full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Get Sundays off
    -Very organized company
    -Get your own apartment. Mostly just for managers and not for assistants.
    -There is decent advancement opportunity, but only if you're a "yes" man/woman
    - If your manager is cool and you do a very good job(store numbers are good) then they give you a lot more freedom and leniency than others.

Cons

-Poor pay
    -Micromanaged like crazy and upper management spies on you like creeps. For example, when you get a lead from the call center, a timer starts going off on your software so the company knows exactly how long it takes you to follow up with lead.
    -Have to do all the janitorial work on the property: rake leaves, clean units, clean the office, paint etc. I never really minded doing this, but the problem is you have to keep a walkie on you at all times in case a customer comes to the office and buzzes your walkie in which case you have to stop everything you're doing and go back to the office. Makes it very difficult to get things done efficiently.
    -The job is very property dependent. I worked at several different properties and if you get stuck with a run down property in a bad area, the job is absolutely horrible. I worked a site where there were break-ins every month, rodent damage, water damage, etc.. Basically just consisted of calling people every other day to tell them that their stuff was ruined or stolen. You're also making collection calls every day and dealing with auctions every month. If you get a nice property in a good area then the job is cake.
    -You will likely start out as an assistant and be expected to cover practically every store in the region. They won't tell you this up front though. Very difficult thing to do for experienced property managers let alone newbies. The pay sucks when you're just an assistant and don't benefit from getting the free apartment.

Advice to Management

-Less micromanagement and better pay. A good, experienced property manager can earn your company hundreds of thousands more dollars/ year. So stop paying them $11.00/hour.

Heavy Workload

I have been working at Extra Space full-time

Pros

The best part of working for this company is being off on Sunday.

Cons

I feel as if you always have a project to do that's not in your job description. If you don't use Pto you cannot have a Saturday off. Just a lot of work for little to no money.

Advice to Management

Value your employee's and treat people how you want to be treated at all time.

9. Love my job!

Current Employee - District Team Lead in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - District Team Lead in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Corporate focuses on being the best in the industry by emphasizing the cleanliness of the property, your sales presentation and being customer centric. You must have the ability to adapt to change to work for Extra Space. Compensation, benefits and the option at some properties to live on site make this a great position. Work load is steady but you have the ability to work in the office as well as on the property, which is nice when you need that break from the revolving door or the telephone. And for those willing to relocate, Extra Space will promote from within. Overall, Extra Space is a great place to work.

Cons

Inclement weather (people always need storage) So you have to be able to work in extreme temps. Most schedules require working on a Saturday so it's sometimes a challenge to have 2 days off in a roll.

Decent as a first job.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Bronx, NY

I worked at Extra Space

Pros

The training is pretty comprehensive, but most of what you need to know will be learned on the job. The pay is OK for entry-level, considering the simplicity of the work. It certainly beats McDonald's.

Cons

It's really not a job for anyone with experience. The long-term potential is not good, unless you can get into management. In my case, there was really no way to get my foot in the door as a manager. In terms of benefits, the company does the very bare minimum for its employees. The medical coverage is crazy expensive, time off is minimal, and 30-minute lunch breaks are absurd.

Advice to Management

Do more for your employees. Make promotions attainable based on merit, not personal relationships.

Who would thought Storage could be so fun and Challenging!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been with the company only a short time. I was hesitant to join the company. (Who dreams of working for a Self Storage company?) Extra Space has done it right! We are growing which provides me tons of opportunities to do more and learn more. Great environment.
    I have loved it here.

Cons

Benefits could be better.

Advice to Management

We have an amazing company. Why not improve the benefits to make it truly a best place to work!

RSS Feed </> Embed