Extra Space Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.0
Spencer F. Kirk

Pros
  • There's a pretty good work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• The company is growing so there are plenty of changes and everyone is adapting along with you (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management will retaliate against anyone who questions their methods (in 5 reviews)

• Sometimes advancement can be difficult, and sometimes when they do promote from within they will promote someone who is not great at the job (in 3 reviews)

Great Career Move!

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company culture focused on customer service. Pay and benefits are competitive. Benefits start day 1 which is nice. The company seems to have a lot of activities throughout the year to keep employees rewarded and engaged. It's exciting to be working for the leader in the self-storage industry.

Cons

There isn't really an established new hire orientation or training. You get to meet with a few people on your first day but it isn't structured.

Not recommended

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits start on your first day. Various company activities throughout the year. Business casual dress code. Some flexibility in work hours.

Cons

Low pay, heavy workload, no work/life balance, inconsistent & insufficient training, negative work environment, expensive insurance, bad communication, high turnover, and few opportunities for advancement. Workload isn't distributed evenly between employees doing the same job with the same pay. This company takes advantage of good employees and burns them out. Anyone with real potential leaves in the first year.

Advice to Management

Make sure the employees you have in supervisory and managing positions have the people skills to be in that role. Distribute the workload more evenly and offer better pay to keep the good employees around. Try to integrate some of the many many systems you have the accountants using on a daily basis.

3. Property Accountant

Former Employee - Property Accountant in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Extra Space (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to get accounting experience. Friendly people, good management.

Cons

Too much of a corporate rigid structure for me.

Who would thought Storage could be so fun and Challenging!

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been with the company only a short time. I was hesitant to join the company. (Who dreams of working for a Self Storage company?) Extra Space has done it right! We are growing which provides me tons of opportunities to do more and learn more. Great environment. I have loved it here.

Cons

Benefits could be better.

Advice to Management

We have an amazing company. Why not improve the benefits to make it truly a best place to work!

Never thought working in an office would be so much fun

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Great management, fun place to work, opportunities to advance, everyone is so nice

Cons

No more Jimmy John's please

The best company I have worked for.

Current Employee - NSC Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - NSC Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Extra Space is a fast paced, challenging work environment. I love the fact you can stay challenged and the job doesn't get boring. There are opportunities to advance. Since the company is always growing, there are many opportunities for process improvement and growth.

Cons

Occasionally there are growing pains. But they are usually worked through pretty quickly.

Advice to Management

As with any company or people in general, communication is key. While the company officers do a pretty good job communicating company business to the employees, middle management sometimes could communicate better.

Great company, lousy department.

Former Employee - Property Accountant in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Extra Space full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Extra Space is a well run machine. The executive team has a solid business strategy and they understand the industry.

Cons

Accounting staff of 25+ is disposable. The property accountants are hired as an entry level position and there aren't very many senior positions to grow into. Turnover is very high.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees, even in the accounting department. You have amazing talent in your own house and don't see it.

At Extra Space you will gain good work experience while working with exceptional people.

Current Employee - Property Accountant in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are plenty of opportunities to push you out of your comfort zone and help you learn and grow. If you show initiative, management is more than willing to coach you and help you grow.

Cons

Low work/life balance. You rarely have excess capacity but are expected do whatever it takes to get the work done, which generally means extra hours.

Advice to Management

More focus on people.

Used to be a "Great Place to Work" but not anymore

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I work for the Corporate Office so my experience may be very different from those employees who work at our facilities. Beautiful office Job stability, even during bad economic times Company performs well against competitors Decent benefits and benefit costs Challenging work

Cons

Little room for compensation growth after hire, other than cost of living increases Executives seem out of touch with their employees Not enough transparency in decision making Company is very focused on financials and supporting operations, corporate seems like an afterthought Need much more training for corporate employees

Stable company with great employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Extra Space full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The one thing I like best about Extra Space is my co-workers. People are respectful of each other and generally very positive. I think this is hard to find in the workplace. It is much easier going to work each day to a pleasant environment. Extra Space is constantly growing, which creates a lot of opportunity and a lot of work. It is financially very stable, even during downturns in the economy. All of my experience has shown this is an ethical company that tries to do the "right" thing. Improvements in processes and technology is always on the agenda. It is a very conservative company.

Cons

The down side of a growing company is that there is a lot of work to do and it can be overwhelming. The down side of a conservative company is that there isn't much reception for the newer ideas in the workforce for things like flexibility in schedules, telecommuting, and PTO policies.

RSS Feed </> Embed