Extreme Networks Reviews

91 reviews filtered by
3.4
Extreme Networks President and CEO Charles Berger
Charles Berger

Pros
  • Professional, great management, good work life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Small company, able to work on variety of areas (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upward advancement can take a long time; senior management turns over every two-three years; many years of little to no market growth (in 4 reviews)

• Lay Offs are happening every year (in 3 reviews)

Valuable experience gained over the last 4 years

Current Employee - Sales Engineer
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer

I have been working at Extreme Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, very capable and driven.

Cons

Acquisition of Enterasys has taken much longer and has been rocky internally. To much us against them, need to get products integrated and kill others to get some economies of the combined company. Too much patting ourselves on the back that our products are the greatest where we have a lot of work to do across the lines.

Hopefully our new CRO will make some changes at the top and thought the sales org.

2. Used to Be Cool

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Extreme Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I guess the campus in RDU and San Jose are cool. They feed office employees on Wednesdays and generally have a nice work environment. It's to bad the management and work sucks so much

Cons

Over management is a huge problem. In my position I have 7 bosses who often contradict each other. They're also big on wasting time. The ISR team has weekly calls that don't amount to anything. The field only has a small grasp on what is happening with their customers and that information only barely gets passed onto the Inside team. There's a big power struggle going on right now between the old Extreme and old Enterasys folks to see who gets to run the show. With Jeff White coming in and bringing a bunch of his Cisco buddies with him it looks like it's just going to be a Cisco 2.0 if the upgrade were smaller and didn't adequeatly know how to sell things. As an ISR you also won't actually be selling anything. You'll be more of a glorified secretary for the overworked field. Your comp plan is also tied to the field sales so basically you're getting paid (very little) commission from a quota you don't have any control over.

Figure out a better way to do support renewals. The process you "fixed" after the merger is a travesty. Stop tying your employees hands especially the India team. Get the AEs to do their own work rather than push justifications and other BS tasks off on the ISRs. Maybe then we wouldn't be so backed up on renewals.

A Thankless Company - Avoid at All Cost

Former Employee - Director of Product Marketing in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Product Marketing in San Jose, CA

I worked at Extreme Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good new campus and some good products

Cons

Always struggling to make numbers, Constant change, Increasingly political and less diverse, Practically no bemuses or recognition for top performers, Extremely hard to get promoted, Lack of budgets and time to market, Lack of focus.

Learn to interact with employees and grow people from within. Recognize and reward and promote a culture of fairness. Listen to key brains within instead of consultants. Eliminate the culture of fear and dictatorship. Rehire the top talent kicked out instead of lot of VPs at the top tier.

Extreme Networks is a great company

I have been working at Extreme Networks

Pros

I love the people i work with and there is such dedication to doing the right thing for the company. My manager helps me develop and encourages the same for my people.

Cons

Still experiencing some growing pains, but overall a great place. Turnover in leadership is still a bit rocky as they try to get the right fit for the new combined company.

6. Great Experience

I have been working at Extreme Networks

Pros

Many challanges
    Good teaming environment
    Benefits
    Values
    Self starting environment

Cons

Bias toward Silicon Valley
    Lost of administrative details to get simple tasks done

7. The company is positioned well for the future; it's value proposition to customers is excellent

Former Employee - Technical Marketing Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Marketing Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Extreme Networks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Engineering team in Raleigh rocks. Long tenure of key engineers means they know the technology and are great mentors for new team members

Cons

The enterprise networking market is not a high growth market, so it can be frustrating working on technology that isn't adopted quickly.

Don't be afraid to innovate and go for big, new markets. Be aggressive with technology and invest for the longer term

8. Used to be a good company

I have been working at Extreme Networks full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work/Life balance is not too bad.

Cons

Since the Extreme purchased Enterasys, I no longer feel like a valued employee.

Set the right priorities for the employees. Value all employees, not just the ones that you worked with prior to the merger.

"18 Year start up - Slowly on the decline"

Current Employee - Operations - Supply Chain in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Operations - Supply Chain in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Extreme Networks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work atmosphere is great. Good compensation and benefits. Used to have great culture with a lot of opportunity for growth.

Cons

Had great hopes for the company until the Enterasys acquisition. Way too many politics with clueless managers and VP's from legacy Enterasys taking over. In exchange for keeping all of the legacy Extreme executive staff, they decided to replace all of the directors and manager levels with Enterasys folks. A lot of talented individuals left the company or were laid off. Huge culture clash between East and West coast offices. Tons of nepotism from Enterasys managers keeping "their" people, and not the most qualified.

Executive staff needs to open their eyes and see what's happening with the work force and moral. Keeping and growing talent is constantly emphasized, yet they are the ones laying off or allowing talent and knowledge to leave the company at an alarming rate; most of the time to competitors. Goals and projects are very short sided without much planing or forethought.

Extreme is the expert on Layoffs! In the 12 years I worked there, at least one or more layoffs every year! I can see that has not changed since I left.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Extreme Networks full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I see no pros to working at Extreme

Cons

They never make it better.

LOL

Extreme has tons of potential as a company but leadership and vision is an issue

Current Employee - Director in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Director in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Extreme Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, smart engineers, World Class R&D and services leadership, Excellent products at a good price, Excellent new sales Executive

Cons

Combining two companies (acquisition of Enterasys) is problematic. The tough decisions are not being made. The CEO is the weak link. He is not "all in" and does not have the mid-cap experience needed. He does not understand Extreme's business and is an embarrassment in front of customers.

Advice to the Board of Directors, Replace the CEO immediately.

Extreme Networks Photos

Some sort of holiday activity
Halloweek Pumpkin Carving