Extreme Networks

www.extremenetworks.com

Extreme Networks Reviews

Updated Jun 9, 2014

Charles Berger

Pros
  • Professional, great management, good work life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Small company size enables employees to get your hands in many projects and gain lots of experience (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upward advancement can take a long time; senior management turns over every two-three years; many years of little to no market growth (in 4 reviews)

• Lay Offs are happening every year (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

Senior Engineer (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsProfessional, great management, good work life balance

ConsNeed to be more open to new ideas

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in new ideas

Tough

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSmart people and you learn a lot

ConsDisorganized management. Small fish in a pond with big fish

Advice to Senior ManagementProbably its best to sell the company. The economics don't support being a small player in this space

Good place to work for Engineering - company at a tipping point

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEngineers are engaged and love the work and the people with whom they work. Employees care about the customers.

ConsLots of spending by senior leaders, it seems, that is unnecessary. Culture is changing due to acquisition of Enterasys, and there is a lot of California vs North Carolina vs New Hampshire. It seems there are lots of politics involving these locations with senior leaders.

Advice to Senior ManagementNow is the time to focus on execution. Keep employees engaged and rewarded, not just senior leaders.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

After working at Extreme for 12 years, I have to say they have changed in a major way and NOT in a good way.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsBefore the dot.com bust, Extreme was a great place to work, they appreciated their employees as the most important asset. Salary was respectful but raises were small.

ConsExtreme fixes all of its financial problems with layoffs 2-3 times a year! Executive staff was a revolving door, at 4 CEOs and HR VPs during my tenure. Also, while I was there we went 3 years with no raises at all, then when they did finally give raises they were 2-3%! After 3 years this was an insult to employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementExtreme really needs to go back to caring about their employees; and fix their current culture! They need to provide training for employees, not just their Engineers! The engineers are the only employees that they consider to be of value.

Typical Executive Administrator position

Executive Administrative (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsNice office, fairly easy straightforward job. Typical 8:00 - 5:00 Bring your dog to work

ConsEveryone's dog is in the office

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a moment to say hello to your employees and learn a little something about their life. Remember to say thank you!

good place to work, tough to sell

Systems Engineer (Former Employee)

Prosgood corporate culture. fun work environment. tech centric.

Conssmall market share makes being in sales or systems engineering tough

Advice to Senior Managementnothing to share here

Lots of talk, poor execution

Regional Account Manager (Former Employee) Baton Rouge, LA

ProsGreat product(s), some very talented people
    Excellent compensation, very lucrative for sales people

ConsExtreme Networks bought Enterays Networks and obviously some position commitments were made by the CEO. Our Global VP of sales was immediately replaced with former Enterasys CEO, our North American VP of sales replaced with an Enterasys employee, as were several administrative and regional director positions. I was cautiously optimistic about the success of the company before all of this but now feel that it will just be old guard Enterasys/Cabletron in a short period of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementMerger/acquisition really didn't make sense. It impacted a number of really qualified professionals for what? Doubling of revenue in two already small niche players in the networking industry? Extreme needs to find the "hook" in an already saturated industry that will allow the two merged organizations to differentiate themselves and move the needle towards growth.

Good company to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood company to work for. Plenty of benefits

ConsSenior Mgmt to take care of the amazing talents of people and not lay them off

One of the Best internship program

Network Engineer (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsGreat place to learn Networking Technologies
    Hands on with equipments
    Good pay
    Great Manager
    Good perks
    Great facilities

ConsToo many politics
    Management needs to delegate more responsibilities to downstream.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou cannot be certain of how an employee will perform according to assumptions. Delegate more responsibilities and evaluate employee's performance according to tasks assigned. In-house experience is a valuable thing especially with proprietary technologies. Try looking internally for possible talents before deciding to go look outside of company.

Great learning experience.

Analyst (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsGreat learning experience. Goal oriented work environment. Not micromanaged by managers. Decent compensation and opportunity to advance.

ConsAlthough given freedom to work at your own pace, there was often a lack of direction by management. Fellow employees lacked the drive and professionalism I wanted while interning here.

Advice to Senior ManagementMotivate employees to go above expectations and push themselves towards excellence.

Worked for Extreme Networks? Contribute to the Community!