Extron Electronics Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014

3.3

Extron Electronics President Andrew C Edwards
Andrew C Edwards

Pros
  • You will get paid just sitting there 40 hours a week (in 3 reviews)

• Best customer service in the world makes them great (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Strict clock-in/clock-out policy (even though I'm salaried), dress code, not really allowed to personalize your personal space (in 3 reviews)

• Working at Extron was by far the worst company that I have ever worked for (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Managers ask employees to write positive comments to overcome poor reviews

Former Employee - Design Engineer  in  Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Extron Electronics full-time

Pros

As long as you can handle the politics, 50 pages of HR policies, and managers monitoring your every move including trips to the bathroom, you could survive there. And managers in meetings have requested employees post positive comments on message boards because of the fact that large numbers of candidates are turning down offers from Extron

Cons

General unhappy atmosphere, enforcement of policy against some but not others, favoritism, and having to call your manager if you are going to be 1 minute late

Unless you make a significant culture shift you are going to kill a profitable company. Right now your management style is causing you to hemorrhage money and talent

Best Employer of My Career

Current Employee - Engineering  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Engineering in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Extron Electronics full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Over my engineering career this is far and above the best company I have worked for. Why? The team. Extron is careful to select competent, well-adjusted team players. You won't find prima donnas here. You won't find corporate bullies, hot heads, immature behaviorists. The work place is professional and respectful. I have been employed by those offering mega stock options, daily free fruit, come-and-go as you please, flip flops and Hawaiian shirts, fooseball, and, also by those requiring shirts-ties and adherence with a thick rule book. For me, the culture of Extron is a suitable balance of expectations. Yes there is a handbook that we adhere with and a time keeping system. But these are not satisfaction distractors, unless, the individual seeks the less professional more casual environment. If so, there are other career choices available. Have an apple and a nice day. Whenever you choose to start it. The work is ample, projects challenging, the tools are made available as justified, and opportunity abounds for those who seek it. People are treated like people, it is not a sweatshop, you can have a life and work here. Yes occasionally extra hours are required and/or a weekend day but in my experience, the work is interesting as is the will of the team to rise to whatever occasion presents itself. No, not everyone will fit, and sometimes that is not evident until some amount of time passes. I can only relate that my experience has been solid, satisfying, I have learned new skills, met some amazing people, and have furthered my career professionally and financially.

Cons

I have no complaints. The company has expectations of its employees, not out of balance with a professionally run organization.

No advice, continue moving forward as we are, offering new challenges to this amazing team. We will deliver.

Good experience at Extron Electronics, in Raleigh NC

Former Employee - Embedded Software Engineer  in  Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Embedded Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Extron Electronics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good technolgy. Expanding into linux. Lots of work. Good talent is recognized. Great location in Raleigh NC. I am happy with career advancement. Salary increases has also progressed well for good performers.

We are expanding fast, maybe too fast.

Cons

Few offices, most of us are in cubes. Some personell deparment memos are overbearing ( almost to the point where it is funny), but we are seeing some good changes.

Benefits are typical of a Tech company.

Education benefits could be much better.

Personell department needs to lighten up. Vacation + Sick should be combined as personel days to be more competive with market. First line managers are required to enforce silly rules -- allow them to lighten up!

See Cons.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Employee, Raleigh NC

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Extron Electronics full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company is privately run which makes it easy to move forward and make decisions quickly. The pay is more than competitive! The company cares about family time and you truly get to disconnect from work at night and on the weekends, No email to worry about, no cell phones to worry about when you are off work! The atmosphere is friendly and a true team environment. Management and HR are approachable, understanding and take care of their employees.

Cons

Yes it is true that you swipe in and out but... More and more companies are moving towards this for salary employees as well. So I see it as a positive that I don't have to fill out a time sheet as a salaried employee (which many companies do these days). It's much easier to swipe in and out than to log your hours.

Consider switching vacation/sick time to PTO. Keep doing what your doing great place to work!

Accept What You Cannot Change

I have been working at Extron Electronics

Pros

Stable company. Even salaried employees clock in and clock out. It is a double edged sword. Yes you have to be punctual, but put in your required 40 hours and you're fine. I've worked at startups putting in 60+ hours per week, so I'm happy to hold up my end of the bargain by promising 40 hours and no more. If you find you have a family or after work life, want to go home on time, this is a decent place to punch in, put your head down, get work done, and go home.

Cons

Very conservative company. Think of IBM in the 80s. This may be a "con" to some people, but is fine by me. HR has gotten nicer over the past few years. There is not much socializing going on at work, I guess it's the company culture. The break rooms have no windows.

Great place to exercise your creativity

I have been working at Extron Electronics full-time for less than a year

Pros

Management definitely looks out for employees. The pay is more than competitive. The work is challenging but varied, which keeps it interesting. The outlook for the company is very positive. There is a lot of opportunity for advancement. For top priority projects, overtime pay is actually authorized, a rarity these days for salaried employees. It feels good to be appreciated for your extra effort.

Cons

It is true that you badge in and out, but it is not monitored as closely as some would have you believe; management is always willing to work with you if you need a little flexibility. The "rules" you will find are not as strict as they seem, unless you give someone cause to scrutinize your behavior. The rules on vacation time are fine for employees right out of school, but it is a bit restrictive to limit experienced new employees to two weeks vacation.

Consider providing more starting vacation time to experienced new hires. Consider making it easier for employees who wish to work extra to stay late or come in on Saturdays (which presently requires a manager to be on site).

Stay Away!

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Extron Electronics full-time for more than a year

Pros

The only pro I can think of was that the salary was decent.

Cons

-Prison environment
    -Cameras everywhere (and yes they can see when you go to the restroom)
    -You must badge in and badge out everyday
    -If you are a woman and looking for a company to grown and soar at - this is not the place! Very few women get promoted here. It's definitely a "mans" company
    -I was verbally attacked by a manager in front of my own boss and he did NOTHING about it.
    -The Sales uniforms are god awful! And if you wear the wrong color khakis with the uniform you will get in trouble.
    -The raises/merit increases are a joke.
    -If you don't go to the holiday luncheon that is literally right before Christmas (which a lot of people travel during this time to visit family) you will get fired.
    - The dress code is "business casual" yet the president and his best buddy that runs the Raleigh location wear jeans all the time - way to set an example!

It's 2014 - get with the program! Lead by example!

Great engineers, fun projects, weird HR policies.

I have been working at Extron Electronics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay is great. I love the people I work with and the projects I get to do. There is always something to challenge and teach me. I feel like I have the freedom to work on different things if I don't enjoy my current project.

Cons

HR policies are, frankly, stuck in the past. Oddly enough, this doesn't seem to be a result of HR themselves. Our local HR person is wonderful and easy to get along with. Instead, it feels like the owner is running this company like an upscale restaurant. Strict clock-in/clock-out policy (even though I'm salaried), dress code, not really allowed to personalize your personal space. It just feels like other engineering companies are leaving those dated policies behind in favor of caring about their employees' happiness. Ours, not so much. It's like they plain don't trust us to be professionals.

We have competitive pay. Let's start thinking about making a happier work atmosphere.

Old fashion company so keep that in mind.

I worked at Extron Electronics

Pros

Pay is good, and if you fit the mold you can move up quick. Most of the employees are great. The company also has decent benefits. The owner seems like a nice enough guy and built something pretty great. Not sure how much involvement he has now a days. If you can do your work, and keep your head down you can do well here. Eventually you have to lift your head and are presented with a choice to take the red pill or blue pill...

Cons

The company seemly promotes a lot from within, which can be good, but at times its evident that some lack the right management experience.
    The sales department has a bell that goes off that can be confused with a fire alarm when the phones don't get picked up (not Joking).
    There seems to be an overall lack of enthusiasm of general employees to want to better the company. Everyone is just there to clock in, clock out, and go home.
    Some employees are overqualified for what they do, and others are under qualified. No big deal, but they don't seem to make much of an effort to improve the under qualified. In addition, the overqualified don't get the appreciation they deserve.
    Company culture is old fashioned. This place is by no means a Google in terms of work environment or culture. It wont even come close. Business casual and a dress code that everyone will be reminded of when someone breaks it. At times you feel like children.
    Everything in the office seems to be painted a mind numbing gray. They don't have a modern tech company feel in terms of inspiring creativity, or passion.
    Overall, just an old fashioned company in a world that is rapidly changing.

Instead of reading the criticism on glassdoor.com and taking time to post your own opinions/counter arguments, use it to figure out how to improve the company culture and environment. If you're worried about attracting future employees, improve the work environment and culture. Make it a place that people want to go everyday to fulfill their purpose, not just a place to collect a paycheck.

Extron - I like this company

Current Employee - Senior Engineer  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Extron Electronics full-time for less than a year

Pros

This is one of the best companies I have worked for in Raleigh.
    The work is interesting and varied. You have a mixture of highly creative tasks combined with a moderate load of bug fixes. The company wants to create a high performance, reliable product and has a long list of similar products in the pipeline. The management style is focused on your personal success as well as the success of the product and the team.The engineering team is well balanced and very supportive. The more experienced team members are always willing to help out. The management is positive and takes great care to get the best out of each team member with out making them feel insecure and incompetent.
     I read the reviews before I interviewed with the company and was ready for anything.
    The process was a surprise. Efficient and informal but professional.
    I would advise any potential candidate to come in with an open mind and see for themselves.
    I'm glad I did.
    I have seen no evidence of the company described by other reviewers.

Cons

The company has a clear and well defined HR policy.
    The work hours are well defined, you are expected to maintain the required core hours.
    The building shuts down at weekends and evenings so there is little flexibility to make up time.
    You are on a time clock. Its strange at first but you get used to it.
    There is a dress code. None of these are real problems if you take a professional approach to your job.

The only thing I would like to see is a more flexible work week. Not a big issue.

Worked for Extron Electronics? Contribute to the Community!