Extron Electronics

www.extron.com

Extron Electronics Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014
Extron Electronics – Anaheim – “Extron”

Extron Electronics – Anaheim – “Extron”

Extron Electronics President Andrew C Edwards

Andrew C Edwards

Pros
  • You will get paid just sitting there 40 hours a week (in 3 reviews)

• Best customer service in the world makes them great (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Strict clock-in/clock-out policy (even though I'm salaried), dress code, not really allowed to personalize your personal space (in 3 reviews)

• Working at Extron was by far the worst company that I have ever worked for (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Accept What You Cannot Change

ProsStable company. Even salaried employees clock in and clock out. It is a double edged sword. Yes you have to be punctual, but put in your required 40 hours and you're fine. I've worked at startups putting in 60+ hours per week, so I'm happy to hold up my end of the bargain by promising 40 hours and no more. If you find you have a family or after work life, want to go home on time, this is a decent place to punch in, put your head down, get work done, and go home.

ConsVery conservative company. Think of IBM in the 80s. This may be a "con" to some people, but is fine by me. HR has gotten nicer over the past few years. There is not much socializing going on at work, I guess it's the company culture. The break rooms have no windows.

Great engineers, fun projects, weird HR policies.

Embedded Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsThe pay is great. I love the people I work with and the projects I get to do. There is always something to challenge and teach me. I feel like I have the freedom to work on different things if I don't enjoy my current project.

ConsHR policies are, frankly, stuck in the past. Oddly enough, this doesn't seem to be a result of HR themselves. Our local HR person is wonderful and easy to get along with. Instead, it feels like the owner is running this company like an upscale restaurant. Strict clock-in/clock-out policy (even though I'm salaried), dress code, not really allowed to personalize your personal space. It just feels like other engineering companies are leaving those dated policies behind in favor of caring about their employees' happiness. Ours, not so much. It's like they plain don't trust us to be professionals.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe have competitive pay. Let's start thinking about making a happier work atmosphere.

Employee, Raleigh NC

Anonymous (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsThe company is privately run which makes it easy to move forward and make decisions quickly. The pay is more than competitive! The company cares about family time and you truly get to disconnect from work at night and on the weekends, No email to worry about, no cell phones to worry about when you are off work! The atmosphere is friendly and a true team environment. Management and HR are approachable, understanding and take care of their employees.

ConsYes it is true that you swipe in and out but... More and more companies are moving towards this for salary employees as well. So I see it as a positive that I don't have to fill out a time sheet as a salaried employee (which many companies do these days). It's much easier to swipe in and out than to log your hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider switching vacation/sick time to PTO. Keep doing what your doing great place to work!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to exercise your creativity

Embedded Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsManagement definitely looks out for employees. The pay is more than competitive. The work is challenging but varied, which keeps it interesting. The outlook for the company is very positive. There is a lot of opportunity for advancement. For top priority projects, overtime pay is actually authorized, a rarity these days for salaried employees. It feels good to be appreciated for your extra effort.

ConsIt is true that you badge in and out, but it is not monitored as closely as some would have you believe; management is always willing to work with you if you need a little flexibility. The "rules" you will find are not as strict as they seem, unless you give someone cause to scrutinize your behavior. The rules on vacation time are fine for employees right out of school, but it is a bit restrictive to limit experienced new employees to two weeks vacation.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider providing more starting vacation time to experienced new hires. Consider making it easier for employees who wish to work extra to stay late or come in on Saturdays (which presently requires a manager to be on site).

Old fashion company so keep that in mind.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPay is good, and if you fit the mold you can move up quick. Most of the employees are great. The company also has decent benefits. The owner seems like a nice enough guy and built something pretty great. Not sure how much involvement he has now a days. If you can do your work, and keep your head down you can do well here. Eventually you have to lift your head and are presented with a choice to take the red pill or blue pill...

ConsThe company seemly promotes a lot from within, which can be good, but at times its evident that some lack the right management experience.
    The sales department has a bell that goes off that can be confused with a fire alarm when the phones don't get picked up (not Joking).
    There seems to be an overall lack of enthusiasm of general employees to want to better the company. Everyone is just there to clock in, clock out, and go home.
    Some employees are overqualified for what they do, and others are under qualified. No big deal, but they don't seem to make much of an effort to improve the under qualified. In addition, the overqualified don't get the appreciation they deserve.
    Company culture is old fashioned. This place is by no means a Google in terms of work environment or culture. It wont even come close. Business casual and a dress code that everyone will be reminded of when someone breaks it. At times you feel like children.
    Everything in the office seems to be painted a mind numbing gray. They don't have a modern tech company feel in terms of inspiring creativity, or passion.
    Overall, just an old fashioned company in a world that is rapidly changing.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of reading the criticism on glassdoor.com and taking time to post your own opinions/counter arguments, use it to figure out how to improve the company culture and environment. If you're worried about attracting future employees, improve the work environment and culture. Make it a place that people want to go everyday to fulfill their purpose, not just a place to collect a paycheck.

Extron - I like this company

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsThis is one of the best companies I have worked for in Raleigh.
    The work is interesting and varied. You have a mixture of highly creative tasks combined with a moderate load of bug fixes. The company wants to create a high performance, reliable product and has a long list of similar products in the pipeline. The management style is focused on your personal success as well as the success of the product and the team.The engineering team is well balanced and very supportive. The more experienced team members are always willing to help out. The management is positive and takes great care to get the best out of each team member with out making them feel insecure and incompetent.
     I read the reviews before I interviewed with the company and was ready for anything.
    The process was a surprise. Efficient and informal but professional.
    I would advise any potential candidate to come in with an open mind and see for themselves.
    I'm glad I did.
    I have seen no evidence of the company described by other reviewers.

ConsThe company has a clear and well defined HR policy.
    The work hours are well defined, you are expected to maintain the required core hours.
    The building shuts down at weekends and evenings so there is little flexibility to make up time.
    You are on a time clock. Its strange at first but you get used to it.
    There is a dress code. None of these are real problems if you take a professional approach to your job.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe only thing I would like to see is a more flexible work week. Not a big issue.

Manager Speaks Out

Engineering Manager (Current Employee)

ProsI am an engineering manager with more than five years’ experience at Extron. My responsibilities, in addition to product design, include the hiring of engineering talent in many specialty areas. As part of the talent search process, I occasionally visit web sites such as this one to gain insight and compare some aspects of our environment with that of other companies. Often, I’m surprised at the mediocre-to-low satisfaction ratings given to well-known companies that I had thought would carry a higher reputation among employees and former employees compared to the outward impression many outsiders, like myself, perceive. Thus, in this case, I’m compelled to speak out.
    Former employees, and some current employees, dwell on common threads of discontent. The simple truth is that all companies have those. It is no secret that each individual, as part of their own employment goal, is trying to find “a home”. But even home in the most personal sense is not perfect. There are always things one would change – if they could. And, on some occasions, the home just isn’t right. As a hiring manager, my greatest challenge is making the best decision possible based on the interview information and other cues offered by the candidate. The process is similar for the candidate. Extron’s highest priority in the hiring process is the matching of company culture to the candidate’s talent and expectations. Unfortunately, on occasion things don’t work out between both parties after a period of time. Handling this situation, regardless of the dissatisfied party, is the greatest downside to being a manager.
    Though individuals may have logical complaints, there is much more to a company workplace environment or career opportunity than the perceived inconvenience of one or two features highlighted by the displaced. Extron is 31 years old and employs hundreds of people with many of them in the Engineering function. We are leaders in the professional audiovisual marketplace – a market that continues to grow at a great pace because of the high profile it occupies as an information display type environment and infrastructure. Extron believes in supporting its customers to the highest extent, which is why I believe that we have experienced high growth and lasting presence even through significant economic instability – like the recent years 2008 to 2009. During the worst periods, we were still hiring and still profitable. Stability and opportunity are two key attributes that most all candidates I talk with are pursuing. Extron’s Engineering structure is designed to offer work variety as well as stability and opportunity.
    Most of my past experience in product design has focused on product cost. Historically, engineers are burdened with cost decisions trumping better design practices. I’m proud to say that, while cost is not ignored, it is never the final deciding factor in product design in this company. Extron focuses on high performance quality and reliability. Cost comes in third. I always feel satisfied that the decisions we make in this engineering group are done for the right reasons… both for us as a company and for our customers. That kind of thinking and attitude is the foundation of great products, companies, and individuals. It’s something most want to be a part of.
    So, as you read these reviews, think farther beyond the written word. There are always two sides to every story. I don’t take pride in the fact that a small percentage of disappointed individuals write in to complain. For your benefit, look carefully at what the company produces and what it stands for. Talk to people who work there. When you’re looking for a good home, it deserves more than average consideration. And, your decision should not hinge on the minor grievances of a small group.
    I do know that the rest of us here in Extron Engineering are too busy to sit and write reviews; but in the interest of our own ability to continue attracting the best people, perhaps we should spend the time to “toot our own horn”. I think we build great products in a well-funded, stable environment and I’m proud of that.

ConsBalancing priorities among many different projects in a very competitive industry environment. The commercial industrial market is now driven more by consumer technology on short life cycles, which raises the short term expectations of our customers.

Long-term growth for electrical engineers

Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsBeing an electronics company, starting salaries of engineers are higher compared to others with a business or social science like economics background.

ConsBeing an electronics company, starting salaries of engineers are higher compared to others with a business or liberal arts background. However, in this company the electrical engineer's long term salary levels off according to colleagues who have been in the company for a longer time.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing an electronics company, starting salaries of engineers are higher compared to others with a business or social science background. However, in this company the electrical engineer's long term salary levels off according to colleagues who have been in the company for a longer time. New employees are offered the usual health and dental insurance and after some time a 401(K). Giving electrical engineers more chances to grow and innovate for the company to allow engineers to hope that they get commensurate compensation in the long-term is one advice for management.

Great job for little experience.

Web Content Specialist (Current Employee) Anaheim, CA

ProsGreat hours, able to stay busy great coworkers, very good work environment. Benefits are good as well.

ConsLove the job you get because there is little growth and promotion.

Good place to start...

Anonymous (Current Employee) Anaheim, CA

ProsGood compensation, plenty of work to do.

ConsThere is no motivation and no culture to pursue higher learning, as demonstrated by the measly $600 a semester that they give for education reimbursement.
    There are lots of inter-departmental issues due to a lack of a strong internal interaction philosophy. It's every department for itself, so managers often set the mood for how to behave/interact with other departments or co-workers. And this mood is often not so great...
    There are plenty of horror stories besides the reviews on here but, so far, I have not experienced any first-hand.

When I was interviewed I was told not to question the systems that Extron has established because they work and I was being hired to learn them, not change them. At that point I knew -- and decided -- that I would not be here very long.

Advice to Senior ManagementDiscarding innovative, fresh, and possibly highly beneficial ideas that come about through questioning the current systems is a waste of intelligence and the potential of young new hires. Keep open minds.

Worked for Extron Electronics? Contribute to the Community!