ExxonMobil

ExxonMobil Chairman and CEO Rex W. Tillerson

Rex W. Tillerson

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Satisfied Employee

Maintenance Engineer (Current Employee)
    Baton Rouge, LA

ProsSalary is great. Work days are different each day with new challenges. Flexible schedule as long as you are taking care of your business I think is a fair

ConsMany negative people that love talking about conspiracies and how others are unfairly getting promoted. Spend more time doing this than working.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe transparent and give low performers the closer they so desperately need.

Brief but valuable experience

Intern (Former Employee)
    Baton Rouge, LA

ProsGood experience. Nice people. Good for a resume. Well run company. Solid employee benefits. Overall an enjoyable and valuable experience

ConsTough to manage work and home life although that could be said of any job. Not a very challenging job although this could also be listed as a pro for some people.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Flag Review
    ExxonMobil Recruiting Consultant responded to this review May 20, 2014 EditDelete
    Thanks for the feedback. We work hard to ensure that our benefits remain top-notch.

Storehouse technician

Storehouse Technician (Former Employee)
    Baton Rouge, LA

ProsGood compnay to work for..pays very good money..if you take full advantage of all their investment programs you can retire a millionaire

ConsVery political, it's who you knoiw, not what you know

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in all your employees..not just a chosen few

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very good place to work.

Security Officer (Former Employee)
    Baton Rouge, LA

Proslots of bonuses and awards

Consworking in the elements daily

Advice to Senior ManagementNo

Great monetary compensation, but lacking in other areas

Corrosion Engineer (Current Employee)
    Baton Rouge, LA

ProsHigh Salaries, Great coworkers, Very diverse workforce, Excellent retirement benefits, Allows employees to quickly move up the ranks, Very safety oriented environment

ConsPoor hours, Little to no recognition, No transparent ranking system, Employees do not control their own moves within the company, Superficial improvement programs, "Good Old Boy" mentality, Out of date benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople are promoted too quickly and without the proper training to be able to lead efficient teams. This leads to a poor managing system all the way up the chain of command. Additionally, the work hours are not comparable to the rest of the industry leaders. It seems as if the benefits have not been updated for the younger workforce and are still geared to the baby-boomer generation.

Young engineer with mixed feelings

Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsPay of course.
    The name means something; means you are successful. (But thats it)

ConsLacks Diversity Big Time (not just color, personality and just flat out differences)
    Very cold environment and not people friendly.
    Has few support networks for minorities and younger people; most of which are poorly organized and lacks leadership.
    Needs some re-vamp to the ranking system (I think everyone agrees to this one)
    Training - well there is none in my opinion; ur just winging it!
    Young engineers are expected to be politicians and you know what funny money is early on; I like to be the innovator so you can play monopoly in the corner by yourself.
    Realized that most people die two years after retiring (if you work at a plant like I do)...uhh not a happy thought!

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany paints a pretty picture and for good reason too...company needs a gutting!

Not a very people friendly company

Staff Engineer (Current Employee)
    Baton Rouge, LA

ProsThe best reason to work for Exxon is stability. For the permanent employees there is not a significant risk of being laid off even in an economic downturn. If you are picked as one of the "golden children" (which not many are) there is a monetary reward in that your salary will far out pace your peers. There are opprotunites to work outside of the US for someone who wants to see the world. There is an advantage a good support structure for young employees to learn quickly from many mentors (but in about five years almost all those mentors are going to retire).

ConsThere are downsides to working for any large corporation but they are blatantly clear in Exxon. The corporation is very slow change to meet the changing priorities of the younger employees. A forced ranking system is in effect for all professional employees which breeds discontent as even if an employee is performing at a very high level the employee can still be ranked at the very bottom....and being ranked at the very bottom means that salary increases are less and less frequent. As far as I can tell, people in the bottom 20% get raises about every 20 - 22 months at the rate of of inflation if not less. The company does not offer an alternate work schedule and management will not even entertain the idea for their professional employees. The overall culture of Exxon breeds managers who place morale very low on the priority list and treats the employees as if they were interchangable with anyone off the street. There also does not seem to be any clue about family and work balance.

If by chance a people friendly manager does come about that person typically ends up in low middle management and does not go farther than that.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe simple advice that I would give Senior Management is to become more people friendly and not continue to believe that just because "We are Exxon" that everyone has a desire to come and work for us.....The economy has diversified in the area of technology over the last 20 years and there are a lot more choices for professionals (esp engineers). Although salary is important in retaining good people it has become less important than the benefits of a company who recognizes that employees want more than just a job.

Worked for ExxonMobil? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ExxonMobil reviews and ratings in Baton Rouge, LA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ExxonMobil CEO Rex W. Tillerson. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by ExxonMobil employees.