ExxonMobil Reviews

Reset
3.6
ExxonMobil Chairman and CEO Rex W. Tillerson
Rex W. Tillerson

Pros
  • Employees generally respects work-life balance (in 43 reviews)

• The company offers great pay and benefits (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance seemed really skewed towards work (in 37 reviews)

• Rating & Ranking system is antiquated at best (in 66 reviews)

1. ExxonMobil Internship

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Baytown, TX
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Baytown, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time

Pros

Can't get a better pay anywhere.

Cons

Full time hires are expected to work way too many hours

Advice to Management

There should be the option to work 9/80's or 4/10's instead of being expected to work 5/12's every week.

2. Intern

Former Intern - Internship in Baytown, TX
    Former Intern - Internship in Baytown, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Working here over the summer gave me the opportunity to interact with many different employees who all shared a common goal of trying their best to contribute something meaningful to the company. Everyone was very helpful whenever I needed anything, all I had to do was ask, and being an intern I lacked some skills/experience that others had but I never felt like that was looked down upon, it was simply the way things were. Overall I enjoyed the internship/co-op as it challenged me to work hard and to grow, especially when it came to soft skills, something that I found to be quite valuable to those in my work group.

Cons

Though I enjoyed it, at times there were extra procedures to follow that you wouldn't have to worry about at a smaller company. This isn't exactly a con, but I think in order to succeed here, you have to be willing to step outside of your comfort zone in order to improve, which can be quite difficult at times.

3. Intern

Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in Baytown, TX
    Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in Baytown, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of work to do. There is always something to do and something new to learn. The company is big enough that many different opportunities are available to explore. At the forefront of technology Opportunities abroad possible Everyone is friendly and willing to help, very collaborative environment

Cons

Throughput oriented company. Sometimes quality is sacrificed for quantity. Managers rotate between every 18 months and 2 years, so longer-term projects may get put to the wayside. It's sometimes hit or miss with new supervisors.

Advice to Management

Keep valuing your engineers. Challenge them to help them grow into better managers. Keep some soft skills training so that when they do become managers that they are personable.

Good Experience, High Pressure

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Baytown, TX
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Baytown, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil as an intern

Pros

Great exposure to all the aspects of a chemical plant and/or refinery. Pay was excellent. Interesting, challenging projects - you won't be making copies or fetching coffee. Traveled from Texas to Louisiana for one of my projects, which was a unique experience for an intern.

Cons

Did not enjoy the company culture. Even as an intern there was an intense pressure to compete with your peers instead of working together. High stress environment led many interns to work beyond 40 hours a week with no overtime. Long hours expected for full-time employees. Ability to move up in the company stemmed from connections more than your skills.

Advice to Management

Foster a more collaborative environment to improve employee satisfaction. Restructure the promotion process so that everyone has an equal chance to apply for jobs instead of having to rely on managers to know what spots are available.

6. I learned a lot about how to deal with an overly bureaucratic organization.

Former Employee - Process Contact Engineer in Baytown, TX
    Former Employee - Process Contact Engineer in Baytown, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Job security. Good salary.

Cons

Constant pressure to come up with new great ideas, push them through a bloated bureaucracy, and then embellish whatever accomplishment you came up with to shine on your ranking.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the ranking system. It's too demoralizing.

7. Old school non progressive company

Current Employee - Senior Research Technician in Baytown, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Research Technician in Baytown, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stable job, decent benefits, low pressure job

Cons

Low tech company, very slow to respond to changes in market, condition of buildings is fairly poor.

8. Chemist

Former Employee - Chemist in Baytown, TX
    Former Employee - Chemist in Baytown, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

• R & D in Chemicals. ---(Particularly in finding more end use of current products. Also to find or formulate products to best suit the end use requested by the customer.) • Customer Services. .-----(This includes the answering the telephone to gather the information/s customer/s supplies and also request more information needed to best serve the need and the economics of the process/es.)

Cons

• Marketing Technical Services. ----(This is a follow up of customer services. Also the customer/s’ problem/s relating to EMCC’s products and the performance issues. This area mainly relates to contamination problems in supplying the products. ---- tracing where contamination occured and if it occured what is the best solution/s to satisfy the customers and best economical solutions.)

Advice to Management

• Holding two patents (A) Consumer Product (B) AgChem --Agricultural Chemistry

9. Demanding Everyday

Current Contractor - Research Technician in Baytown, TX
    Current Contractor - Research Technician in Baytown, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Fair pay, Good coworkers, very safety oreiented

Cons

Want you to work all the time, don't care about personal life. Office politics can be a bit much sometimes

Advice to Management

Need to shake things up every now and then. Not have the same people in the same position for years on end.

Process Technician

Current Employee - Process Technician in Baytown, TX
    Current Employee - Process Technician in Baytown, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, money is good, a lot of overtime. No experience needed to be hired as a operator, welder,machinist,lab tech.

Cons

Lack of leadership training for first line supervisors, most of them feel they are crippled by the union so they do not implement a discipline program for under achieves.

Advice to Management

Move to a DuPont schedule , more vacation throughout the years and base vacation off of the position I.e. Operators get 84 hrs "2 weeks" but are actual only getting one week and 3 days due to the 4 on 4 off schedule.

11. Great learning experience

Former Employee - Senior Research Engineer in Baytown, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Research Engineer in Baytown, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people, Networking globally, Great pay, opportunities for travel and ample training

Cons

Research was slow, Company performance reviews, Rigid management

RSS Feed </> Embed