ExxonMobil

www.exxonmobil.com

ExxonMobil Reviews in Beaumont, TX

ExxonMobil Chairman and CEO Rex W. Tillerson

Rex W. Tillerson

Pros
  • Great work/life balance outside of month-end close(in 22 reviews)

• The pay and benefits are great as it is big oil(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • This can be a good thing, but not when you desire a strong work/life balance(in 22 reviews)

• Rating & Ranking system is antiquated at best(in 41 reviews)

3 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great internship experience with significant projects

Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) Beaumont, TX

ProsAs a summer intern, I was able to work on significant projects, learn about the industry, the equipment, and the company from the best and the brightest. It was my only of 4 internships where I really felt like the people I worked with were all competent, good at communicating, and hard working.

ConsAs a full-time employee, it would have been hard to stand out amoungst the best and the brightest... and the most competitive.

Working at ExxonMobil has been a great experience and afforded opportunities I could not have anticipated.

Cost Engineer (Current Employee) Beaumont, TX

ProsThe stability of the com and safety culture are by far the most attractive aspects of the job. There are lots of career opportunities for those who are driven and understand the system and culture of the company.

ConsForced ranking and lack of job postings are by far the biggest down side. It takes focused alignment in order to ensure what the company wants is what the employ wants.

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement a 9-80 work week.

Secure and predictable

Supervisor (Current Employee) Beaumont, TX

ProsExxon is at present a stable company with solid benefits. There are locations in many different areas and if you are willing to move, you will likely get the opportunity to do so. There are opportunities to move between the different business divisions (chemicals, refining, lubes, pipeline, E&P) in order to develop a well rounded employee, however unless you are tagged early as a rising star or top performer, opportunities may be limited. The stock match of 7% for our 6% is a nice perk. If you are extremely aggressive in self marketing or like sucking up, it's a great place to advance.

ConsForced rankings mean the suck-ups usually out perform the competent, hard workers. Much of the culture is the holdover from Exxon more so than Mobil. Exxon is a very Engineering lead company and therefore views people as resources rather than assets to be invested in. Supervisors are asked to evaluate their employee's potential when they are first hired in. Depending on your supervisor's first impression, your 30 year career growth potential can be severely stifled by one bad review. There are many supervisors and managers that are victims of the Peter Principle and are now in the level of their incompetence with no opportunity to move any further until they retire.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrash the PAPD forced rankings, Reward good performance, Give bonuses where applicable, adjust wages for cost of living annually and make raises based on performance at different intervals.

Worked for ExxonMobil? Contribute to the Community!