ExxonMobil

ExxonMobil Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

ExxonMobil Chairman and CEO Rex W. Tillerson

Rex W. Tillerson

Pros
  • Great work/life balance outside of month-end close(in 22 reviews)

• The pay and benefits are great as it is big oil(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • This can be a good thing, but not when you desire a strong work/life balance(in 22 reviews)

• Rating & Ranking system is antiquated at best(in 41 reviews)

Storehouse technician

Storehouse Technician (Former Employee) Baton Rouge, LA

ProsGood compnay to work for..pays very good money..if you take full advantage of all their investment programs you can retire a millionaire

ConsVery political, it's who you knoiw, not what you know

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in all your employees..not just a chosen few

Great professional experience, odd culture in need of change, ranking...seriously?

Intern (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsProfessional Development, Pay, and Exposure to Fortune 5 Company. As an Intern, I had the opportunity to really challenge myself, work on some weaknesses, present to executives, and get great exposure to a large energy firm.

ConsHours and Culture. I worked 12-13 hour days regularly during my internship, including holidays and weekends. The culture is cultish. Very Texan and/or country. Those who don't drink the Kool-Aid and show outward enthusiasm and constant positivity are visibly frowned upon. Cosmopolitan, city-esque individuals with even a hint of a sarcastic sense of humor don't fit in well. Although there is some diversity, it's a bit of a smoke screen. The cultural and personality make-up of the company is very homogeneous.

Safety culture is extreme. There are literally parking 'hall monitors" with orange vests reminding you to use the handrail. The safety minute presentations about how to appropriately cut an avocado were too much.

The ranking system. Enron did something very similar to what XOM does in its ranking. Enough said.

Advice to Senior ManagementStep-up recruiting outside of Texas and the usual non-Texas schools. Diversity recruitment should include different personalities and outlooks, not purely demographics. Culture is a bit cultish. Look to more progressive and culturally integrated companies like Chevron and Shell as a best practice benchmark.

My experience at Exxon was fantastic

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Baytown, TX

ProsReason to work at Exxonn: 1opportunity for advavncement
                                             2 Family atmosphere
                                             3 Family friendly
                                             4 fair wage
                                             5 Great benefits
                                             6 concern about safety

Consthe only con may have been woking cold graveyards

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure employment philosiphy is passed down to all levels of management

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Family Oriented lifestyle

ProsGood Pay, steady hours, employees with genuine personalities. They care about your safety.

ConsStrict employee ranking system. Restrictions of working in large corporation can be inhibiting.

Great

Prosi like working there because i felt the needed at my position. co-workers were amazing to work with, very open-minded people. amazing salary

Consthe work can be boring. a lot of red tape within the company. you get a lot of work with little time to do them. very demanding from a physical standpoint. but this job is still worth it

Great employer, but more akin to a private sector government job.

Engineering Specialist (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsInstant name recognition that opens doors with others, very competitive pay, stable long term job, get to work with some very intelligent people who are some of the top in their fields.

ConsVery bureaucratic and averse to change, hierarchical, and management likes to keep things very close to their chests. Limited ability to drive one's own career.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain the focus on safety and financial discipline but make internal job/role prospects more transparent. Start becoming more nimble in how we do business.

Not at all what I expected it would be.

Field Sales (Current Employee)

ProsBenefits, compensation, job stability, in order to post this I must write 20 words, so I am adding this sentence so the fix errors will disappear and this will post.

ConsHorrible ranking system for job performance, completely up to your one and only supervisor, who supposedly fights for a bucket of money between your peers....no cost of living adjustments, no bonuses in sales ( at least that's what we are told), under the table gift cards for superior performance, completely unfair company where knowledge and education mean nothing compared to personal relationships in company.
    Completely obsessed with safety protocols, but drinking and driving from company functions is AOkay! In fact, participating in the drunk arounds is surely to get you a better job ranking. If you do not partake in the extra curricular activities you are doomed.

Advice to Senior ManagementTell your Board of Directors to get new management, that's my advice.

I was a store manager at a franchise ( Ridgeway petroleum) based Exxon for 5 years

General Manager (Former Employee) Munster, IN

ProsGood paying job without a college degree

Consworking all holidays no matter what, working several hours a week, no bonuses, no benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to the owners of the specific Exxon franchise I worked for would be to respect your employees. They are working their butts off for you for way less than what they are worth. Also do not advance people into positions they are not ready for so fast and, maybe you would not have such a high turnover rate!

Decent Company

Procurement Associate (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsDecent salary, secure job, high degree of international exposure/travel.

ConsFew opportunities for advancement, little incentive pay, Procurement is not a highly valued element of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more opportunities for advancement and movement to other parts of the business.

Very good place to work.

Security Officer (Former Employee) Baton Rouge, LA

Proslots of bonuses and awards

Consworking in the elements daily

Advice to Senior ManagementNo

Worked for ExxonMobil? Contribute to the Community!