ExxonMobil

Updated December 12, 2014
3.7

ExxonMobil Chairman and CEO Rex W. Tillerson
Rex W. Tillerson

Pros
  • Work-life balance supported by management in a meaningful way (in 43 reviews)

• The pay and benefits are great as it is big oil (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • This can be a good thing, but not when you desire a strong work/life balance (in 37 reviews)

• Ranking system is flawed because hard work is not taken into account (in 66 reviews)

More Highlights

172 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Love my job, but feel like second class citizen

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoy the fast-paced and challenging work in a pleasant work environment. I recommend working here as an employee only ... not as a contractor.

Cons

ExxonMobil tends to hire contractors to avoid providing benefits. I work just as hard as employees with the same title and responsibilities, but get no benefits - no vacation, no insurance, no 401K matching funds, and probably less pay than my co-workers.

Hiring long-term contractors (longer than 3-6 mos) to work at the same level of responsibility and professionalism as employees, but without providing the same benefits, is SHAMEFUL and DEMORALIZING to contractors. To make matters worse, all O&G related businesses are behaving the same way, making it very difficult for contractors to become permanent employees like their co-workers who were hired before this trend began.

Never in my life did I expect to be my age, with my level of experience, under-paid, over-worked, no hope for even 1 day of paid vacation, no health insurance, no 401K, and basically no respect. It's painful to watch everyone around me get vacation time, Christmas bonuses, all the packaged benefits employees enjoy, while I pretty much eat dirt. I don't begrudge them their benefits, because they deserve them ... but so do I.

ExxonMobil - a dream company!

Former Employee - Document Control Assistant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Document Control Assistant in Houston, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Work life balance: Great place to work for if you're a family person and have other commitments apart from your job
    Paycheck: Very competitive salary, you will not be disappointed
    Traveling for work: Will get to see a lot of different countries during your business trips
    Always a sweet venue for corporate parties: They book the nicest hotels, restaurants, museums etc. for parties

Cons

Could be stressful at times
    Juggling multiple deadlines

Keep up the good work!

Great company & great opportunity

Former Employee - Human Resources Intern in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Human Resources Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Compensation is top notch, very structured developmental opportunities, collaborative and passionate employees to work with and management who give their time and interest into your projects.

Cons

This was my first foray into the corporate world and since this is a very high performing company, my 3 month internship was rather intense at times; however, in retrospect, it made me a better person.

Good pay and stable career.

Current Employee - Research Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Research Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, stable career (typically hires for life), options to move within the company. Fairly low and benign politics - esp. at my level. Good work life balance. Very stable company with good long term prospects and a senior mgmt that genuinely thinks and invests on multi-decade time-frames.

Cons

Very slow moving, bureaucratic and conservative. Like the rest of the oil&gas industry, pretty backward in technology - esp. when compared to hi-tech companies which can get frustrating. Also, job-security makes people complacent and risk-averse. Also, the office space (i.e. on-site food, furniture, equipment, gym etc) is of very poor grade at all engineering locations.

Lots of work and high pay

Former Employee - Environmental Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Environmental Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Highly competent people, good pay, pushed into "stretch" assignments, benefits are great, relocation package is top-notch, decisions are well thought out, ranking system keeps people on their toes and weeds out the bottom 10%

Cons

Not gay friendly, 10+ hour days 5-6 days per week, no work life balance, not enough diversity (most of the meetings I attended consisted of all men and mostly white men), ranking system causes competition amongst peers and prevents sharing of ideas

Implement a gay-friendly policy so that your employees are not afraid of being fired for their sexuality. Hire a more diverse work team.

Catching up with time

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Strong financial compensation and great benefits.

Culture is changing (at least in IT): free WiFi, bring your own tablet, empowerment, making mistakes is actually encouraged ... etc.

Cons

Too many "middle management" layers . Some pockets still are very conservative ... must cross every T and dot every I before doing anything.

Need more techies that know what they are doing. Instead of everyone moving over the the "management track"

Tweak the reward & recognition system - still FORCED RANKING!!! How can team work be built if everyone is competing against each other.

Built on the backs of interns and temps

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

You will find some really great people to work with in this company, depending on the department that you are in.

Cons

This company is built on the backs of interns and temps. I met several people who have been long-term temps for several years. One in particular has been a temp for over 5 years. I'm not talking about leave and come back...I mean 5 solid years in one position and NEVER asked to be a full-time employee. If the work is sub-par, the person should have been replaced. But, obviously that's not the case. If you talk to people, you'll find that there are many people who have been long-term and never even offered a full-time position. I'd venture to guess it's because they don't want to pay benefits and such.

The way you show appreciation for the people who have showed you dedication is by offering them full-time opportunities, not by keeping them as a temporary employee indefinitely.

Its a great place to work.

Former Employee - Records Management in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Records Management in Houston, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Its a very friendly environment

Cons

Regular employees looking down on the contract employees.

Keep up the good work.

It was a job that I really liked! I had a lot of regular customers.

Former Employee - Sales Team Member in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Team Member in Houston, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Early hours, plus you got off early in the day. So if you wanted to do things you still could.

Cons

Rude customers, sometimes you can't please everyone. But it doesn't hurt to try.

Raises more often.

Great

Former Employee - Senior IT Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior IT Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Stability, opportunities and Recognition if you work hard

Cons

Hierarchical management and reporting manager can be anywhere

Open communications on job performsnce