ExxonMobil International

ExxonMobil International Reviews

Updated Feb 16, 2014

ExxonMobil International Chairman & CEO Rex W. Tillerson

Rex W. Tillerson

Pros:
  • "Work life balance is achievable but not guaranteed"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Great company, good learning experience"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Relative ranking system badly affects people who are less visible and less talkative in a global ranking system"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Employees have limited say on their own career development"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Smart Folks - Lots of Opportunity if you're a good performer

Planning Advisor (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits / pay
Smart co-workers
Excellent training
Ethical mgmt

ConsCan be long hours at times
Engineers run the core business - everyone else is in a supporting role

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

good for people who trust the company to make decisions on their behalf and do well in conservative bureaucracies

Fairfax, VA

I have been working at ExxonMobil International

Prosinteresting industry, smart people, stable company, long-term career stability, change jobs every 2-3 years, professional management, pension plan, good benefits

Consno ability to determine one's own career path, company does not care about what employees think, employees are underutilized, not conducive to women's advancement as in order to succeed have to move around and uproot family, have to want to work in Texas, no room for creativity or risk, very bureaucratic, no autonomy

Advice to Senior Managementask for feedback from employees in terms of job satisfaction and career path, make sure employees are challenged and fully utilized

Corporate Clones

I have been working at ExxonMobil International

Pros-Money - much better than most other employers
-Challenging work environment
-Some of the coworkers you meet
-Benefits package - better than most

Cons-Corporate Culture - It's depressing how much humanity is lost when money is involved
-Ranking System
-Policies and Controls make it difficult to get work done

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management at ExxonMobil is too far up that I am not completely sure who I would be making suggestions to, but, from what I can see, there is a strong attempt from upper level management to prevent what is actually happening to the everyday employees so I would say I dont really have any advice or feedback.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Engineer

Analyst (Former Employee)
Fairfax, VA

I worked at ExxonMobil International

ProsJob security, moderate pace, low stress

ConsNobody listens until you have been there for 5 years

Advice to Senior ManagementStart being less obsessed about "safety" at the workplace. More innovation, more fresh blood and less bureaucracy. . . .

"Strong Management and Cost Disciplined"

Project Engineer Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at ExxonMobil International

Pros- You will not find anywhere else that pays you this well
- Strong and structured management hierarchy
- Lots of talented and helpful people
- Established supportive system (mentor and training programs)
- Encourage community involvements

Cons- How many years will gas and oil business continue to survive?
- Management expect your performance to exceed their expectations but they will not give you feedback until time for performance review (suprise...)
- Senior employee (who worked there for >20 years) do not like being questioned or challenged about their knowledge and work

Advice to Senior Management- Time to start thinking about investing in ways to obtain alternative energy
- Give feedback to subordinates more often and as open as possible

Don't walk, RUN away, if you actually want to do science.

Research Scientist (Current Employee)
Paulsboro, NJ

I have been working at ExxonMobil International

Pros-Decent compensation
-Convenient work hours - flexibly with work/life balance - can work from home on occasion if needed
-Nice people, smart people
-Nice benefits, 401k, pension etc.
-Chance to travel

Cons-Scientists do very little science. Most of the scientists are mired in tons and tons of bureaucratic nonsense. It is very frustrating! Brilliant people with Ph.D.s are spending the bulk of their time filling out forms in a database, jockeying samples and working the financials with vendors.
-Most research isn't research at all. It's mixology and filling out forms. Nothing is very new, certainly not "cutting edge."
-Bureaucracy is debilitating. 95% of the work comprises filling out forms, getting approvals and fighting with a database in order to actually get something fairly simple accomplished.
-Performance expectations are vague; the rating system is not fair and pits peers against each other. People on wildly different assignments, doing wildly different jobs are ranked against each other.
-Forget doing any kind of team research. Researchers pretty much work alone which means there's no constant banter and exchange of ideas with respect to what research actually is going on.
-Sections need to be broken down into smaller teams so people don't end up working in a vacuum.
-Technical expertise is not rewarded. Very political. Corporate clone-hood rewarded as opposed to fresh ideas and innovative thinking.
-Culture is extremely dominated by white guys. Females are subtlely marginalized, given projects which are less technical; given more administrative tasks etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire adminstrators to handle administration. Allow scientists to do science. Allow researchers to work on smaller teams with the actual technicians being part of the teams!

Review for ExxonMobil

Beaumont, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil International

ProsDecent benifits and pay and good work environment

ConsToo much bureacracy and non-value added requirements

Advice to Senior ManagementCut out redundant and unecessary training.

Great place to work

Facilities Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at ExxonMobil International

ProsThis company has a very competitive work environment which helps contribute to the overall success of the company. I would highly recommend it as a place to start a career.

ConsIt is a large corporation and therefore it can be difficult to advance easily. It also governed by many procedures and processes.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe leadership seems to be very strong. The company takes a very conservative approach to things and I would recommend it.

Good Company with excellent benefits. Most employees are engineers or scientests with advanced degrees.

Financial Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at ExxonMobil International

ProsPretty good respect for the controllers organization. Strong business controls over daily operations.

ConsTop down command, control & communications type management. Need to be able to follow instructions.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut the deadwood

Working in Human Resources/Payroll/Benfit Admin in America.

Human Resources Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at ExxonMobil International

ProsProfessional environment, decent benefits, support higher education, adequate training for employees, systematic way of doing things, there are clearly defined expectations

ConsThe company culture is bureacratic, secretive, and at times, goes overboard with some safety issues. They should have used on outside agency to gage employee concerns.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people more opportunity, not just people hired off of college campuses or people with high-level experience. Also, there is too secrecy in regards to other job openings within the company.

Worked for ExxonMobil International? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ExxonMobil International reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ExxonMobil International CEO Rex W. Tillerson. All 99 reviews posted anonymously by ExxonMobil International employees.