ExxonMobil International

ExxonMobil International Reviews

Updated May 28, 2014

ExxonMobil International Chairman & CEO Rex W. Tillerson

Rex W. Tillerson

Pros
  • Work life balance is achievable but not guaranteed(in 6 reviews)

• Great company, good learning experience(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Relative ranking system badly affects people who are less visible and less talkative in a global ranking system(in 5 reviews)

• Employees have limited say on their own career development(in 4 reviews)

Good company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGood company to work for, good salary, training provided, talented people, diversity, team-based, work flexibility, career development, mentor program, performance base

ConsI don't think of something that I do not like so far in this, but may be they are a little bit consevative.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing the good job. Keep focusing on talented people.Try not to let your experienced young talented people to quit.

ExxonMobil Production company pros and cons

Property/Title Analyst (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsExxonMobil seems to be a highly ethical company (regardless of what the media tend to report). My experience there was very good, and I felt like the management listened to the needs of the employees. The compensation and benefits package was above average for the industry, and raises were merit-based which provided a great opportunity for new employees to "prove" themselves and be rewarded for it. There was also a general sense of teamwork among most of the people in my department (although I heard that was not the case in all departments).

ConsThe oil and gas industry is still very much an "old boys' club," and ExxonMobil is no exception. Since the company has been around for over 100 years there is a tendency to do things the way they've always been done even if it's out-dated or inefficient. This stifles employees' creativity and makes them robots. Management likes to use a lot of buzzwords and talk about "work-life balance," but it's apparent that asking for a flexible schedule or taking too much maternity leave are still frowned upon (and, as a result, have a negative impact on merit raises and promotion).

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow what your employees actually do on a day-to-day basis. Analysts with the same title and pay may have drastically different workloads and responsibilities. Try to even these out as much as possible. Don't be afraid to fire people who are lazy. Hard-working employees resent you for just looking the other way when someone is not doing his/her job. Try to keep the negative employees from dominating every meeting. This drags everyone down and results in decreased productivity. If you SAY you support work-life balance and flexible schedules, then SUPPORT work-life balance and flexible schedules. These don't have to be entitlement programs. It's ok to have people earn these benefits, but then don't penalize them if they choose to use the benefit that they've earned.

ExxonMobil doesn't have a clue because it only listens and promotes people that drink the kool-aid.

Team Leader (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsWell Paid, Flexibility in Workplace (which means you can go to the doctor when you need to, but you have to get extra, special permission to work from home, even when fuel prices are over $4 per gallon), solid security and control measures. Global work and workplace opportunities.

ConsClandestine management decisions, including career choices, "command and control"-style management, inconsistency (we need new ideas, but can't get beyond year-2000 thinking), low-level leadership panics due to overbearing (and out-of-touch) senior management, lack of vision, lack of stated goals, lack of communication, management immune from hearing feedback from employees due to forced ranking, conducted by supervisors needing the feedback, that determines ones employment status from year to year -- because retribution is always a possibility, despite the controlled nature of the process.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen up job postings from the clandestine S&D process and allow people to compete for good jobs and opportunities. The feedback alone from folks avoiding terrible supervisors/management will be enough to warrant change and employee empowerment. Eliminate the backward ideas behind "span of control" and "forced ranking" that deteriorate the camaraderie and teamwork necessary to make the workplace enjoyable. Reward out-of-the-box thinking that doesn't fit in the perfect "I'll promote those that think like me" philosophy that's running rampant in the organization that demoralizes the people.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The grass is always greener.

Engineer (Current Employee) Baton Rouge, LA

ProsCareer advancement is key, young engineers are given a lot of opportunity to advance. Global presence is obvious, but the technical teams tend to form small families, so you really get to know the experts in the entire world. Job security is high and salary is ok. Morale can swing, but most times they are good. Safety is always something to keep in mind, but the industry understands how to run the business. In the end, a good place to work for young folks, worse case you can always good to another company after Exxon has trained you up. Thanks.

ConsRed tape, public perception of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so scared to spend a little OPEX ....... M/E of 25 to 1, c'mon.

Operation technican

Operation Technician (Former Employee)

Pros-Good pay, allowance, benefits and bonuses
    -Good career prospect

Cons-Challenging job
    -Bad culture depending where you posted

Great Place to work at

Refinery Intern (Current Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

Pros-Safety Conscious!
    -Supportive staff
    -Friendly
    -Great Food at the canteen

Cons-No downsides to mention.
    -Since its a refinery it might be far from the city

great experiences (intern)

Prosgood value and culture
    very comfortable
    and the company's climate is awesome

Conssometimes has boring task
    but this's only one cons that I have found!!

Field marketing coordinator

Field Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) Bangkok (Thailand)

ProsChance to travel
    Good training system
    Company will rotate the job for you every 2-3 years
    Good background of colleagues

ConsWork long hours
    Starting salary based on education, then evaluate performance by comparing with colleagues (ranking system) I would say it's competitive environment.

Good

Procurement Associate (Current Employee) Prague (Czech Republic)

ProsLearn a lot, given the possibilitiy to use a lot of tools

ConsOnce you reach a supervisor position very difficult to go further

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more in contact and less American

Nice place to start

Intern (Former Employee) Budapest (Hungary)

Prosyoung team, correct, kind colleagues, good social events, nice workplace

Conssalary, open office, rotation system between branches, safety policy is a headache

Advice to Senior Managementpay more, do not rotate employees, less safety precaution

Worked for ExxonMobil International? Contribute to the Community!