ExxonMobil International

ExxonMobil International Reviews

Updated Feb 16, 2014

ExxonMobil International Chairman & CEO Rex W. Tillerson

Rex W. Tillerson

Pros:
  • "Work life balance is achievable but not guaranteed"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Great company, good learning experience"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Relative ranking system badly affects people who are less visible and less talkative in a global ranking system"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Employees have limited say on their own career development"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Intern

Intern (Former Employee)
Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at ExxonMobil International as an intern for less than a year

Prosbig company. tts about all.

Conshard to get back as fresh hire. Interns are at disadvantage during the hire process as ex-intern cannot be interviewed.

Advice to Senior Managementget less intern or more fresh hire.

very sad place to work

Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at ExxonMobil International full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgood to have the name on your CV for future jobs.

Conspoor pay, not a good culture to work in and still in the 1970's.

Advice to Senior Managementgood engineers are all leaving to join better companies, sadly your left with lots of average.

not what i expected

Subsea Engineer (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil International

Prossmart capable employees that are a pleasure to work with
really strong safety culture
very good technical capability
good benefits and perks

Consthe rating process is a black box
hardly any influence as to what your next job can be
salary treatments are not fair and sub par
no 9-80s
not capable of making timely quick decisions, middle management afraid to take ownership and make decisions
very slow to move and react as a company
frustrating for someone who like to get things done rather than sit around and talk about it
seems to be alot of wasted effort on processes
there are groups dedicated to maintaing process and all they know is thier process and they know nothing about the real "work" so processes are not applied in a "fit-for-purpose" way

Advice to Senior Managementchange ranking and rating process
value your employees on performance and productivity and contribution rather than other unimportant things
learn to take better financial risks

Extremely Subjective Performance Reviews

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at ExxonMobil International

ProsThe only good thing about ExxonMobil is that you can include a recognazible and respected company in your resume for future job searches.

ConsHorrible system of performance appraisal. It is extremely subjective in the sense that it is based more on how well you get along with your supervisor than on the achievement of your objectives.
Narrow minded management.
Management does not provide a clear career development plan for employees

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees! Who better to tell you what's wrong and how to fix it. Get off your high horse for once in your life, stop being arrogant and acknowledge that it is not a perfect company and that employees actually have great ideas to improve job climate within the organization.

Don't stay too long

IT Support (Current Employee)
Fairfax, VA

ProsPay check
Looks good on a resume.

ConsEvery year you could make less than the year before if you are a contractor.
Last year they cut our pay seven percent, mid contract.
Management gives safety lectures that a 10 year old would find condescending.
You get a new manager every two years.
Don't expect opportunity for advancement,
You have to follow so many ill conceived processes to get the simplest task accomplished.
Hard work goes unrewarded.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen

Working for ExxonMobil may be a good experience but is one of those you never want to have again.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at ExxonMobil International

ProsGood opportunities for advancement if you follow the rules and procedures and log in a lot of face time. Many languages on offer to learn for free. International team exposure. Interesting job and friendly co-workers.

ConsManagement respect for employees is non-existent. Management steals ideas and does not pass on credit. Face time gets promotions, not actual hard work or performance. No 360 feedback and little feedback in general. Poor salary in regards to responsibilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn from your employees. Listen to what they have to say since they have experience in the field. Don't act arrogantly just because you received a promotion and don't feel threatened by others if they have ideas you did not think of.

The company offers excellent stability, however, I did not find the work and atmosphere not very exciting.

Business Analyst (Former Employee)
Brussels (Belgium)

I worked at ExxonMobil International full-time for more than a year

ProsGood salary, insurance and pension. The work guidelines are clear, international colleagues, and good exposure to senior management from the start (in a "BAR" / "BAP") position.

ConsRepetitive work, limited moving opportunities, no internal job market (superiors decide on job moves, and you say "yes"), uninspiring atmosphere. One major con is the fact that before starting, the job was very well promoted during interviews, however, little was explained about the actual work. I.e. in the "BAR" / "BAP" jobs, everybody works on a fixed monthly schedule, closing monthly books; thus the job is close to accounting and requires much research of bookings in SAP. Also, before staring you should ask if you will be a 'business' or 'controllers' resource; it will determine the direction of your long-term career. Switching is possible, however, very uncommon.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt my department, many people were not very satisfied with their job, although the pay is good. Getting more 'positive motivation' from supervisors, more job freedom and challenges may help.

Slow environment

Quality Assurance Analyst (Current Employee)
Budapest (Hungary)

I have been working at ExxonMobil International full-time for more than a year

Pros+ The company almost exclusively promotes internally, meaning that if you do well, you have a shot at a leadership role
+ Lots of money is spent on training
+ It's really hard to get fired
+ Good work/life balance

Cons+ The company is enormously bureaucratic - they have a strict formula for when you get raises and how much and how often you get promoted. Even if you're really good, you have to wait at least a year, and usually two, to move up in your role
+ The work environment is boring. Safety is the #1 concern and following the rules is #2. There is no room for creativity. The company doesn't attract a lot of people with interesting personalities.

Great name to have on CV, but not a place to have a career

I have been working at ExxonMobil International

ProsReasonable pay & benefits. Final salary pension. People generally friendly.

ConsNo input in career progression. Lack of clarity in Ranking Process. Career progression can be limited if a Manager has an axe to grind, very little employee recourse.
Very political environment, lack of team work & common goal. Those in management not necessarily the best at their job.
Not a dynamic environment. An ageing workforce, with many waiting it out till retirement.
Lack of opportunities and diversity.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest when recruiting new employees regarding opportunities & the effect of the ranking system. Invest in career development. Managers should learn to manage their employees careers rather than their own.

Bad salaries and treatment

Dedicated Customer Professional (Current Employee)
Prague (Czech Republic)

I have been working at ExxonMobil International full-time for more than 5 years

Proseasy work, no hassle much....laid back

Consno promotions if you are ambitios...you will stay on same level for many years

Advice to Senior Managementinvest in people. give them money to be able to live better

Worked for ExxonMobil International? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ExxonMobil International reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ExxonMobil International CEO Rex W. Tillerson. All 99 reviews posted anonymously by ExxonMobil International employees.