ExxonMobil

ExxonMobil Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

ExxonMobil Chairman and CEO Rex W. Tillerson

Rex W. Tillerson

Pros
  • Great work/life balance outside of month-end close(in 22 reviews)

• The pay and benefits are great as it is big oil(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • This can be a good thing, but not when you desire a strong work/life balance(in 22 reviews)

• Rating & Ranking system is antiquated at best(in 41 reviews)

Great company for long term employment and good salary

ProsPays at top of scale. Good vacation policy for new hires with experience. Still has a retirement plan.

ConsVery competitive with ranking system. No 9/80 schedule. Above average stress but well compensated for.

Contract position, too many cooks in the kitchen, but it was ok while it lasted

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe pay was excellent and there was no micromanaging.

ConsThere were too many cooks in the kitchen and not enough people actually doing and creating action.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people who you feel are easy to manage and work with instead of those who might be overqualified and actually have experience.

Good company, great benefits

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLots of opportunities for advancements within departments. Good health and 401k benefits. Advisors were personable, yet professional

ConsShift changes for lower workers

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good pay, Biased Ranking/Career Path based mostly on perceptions

Advisor (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsGood pay and good benefits.

ConsPeople usually start straight out of college and have their entire careers here. The environment is fosters blind loyalty and those who are not aware believe that this culture is the only one that exists. That is fine, unless you disagree with management... Perceptions weigh very heavily here, more so than at other companies.

The claim is that the company is so large that there is ample opportunity to move around to different positions within the different companies. This is not true. Your career is at the mercy of your manager and how he/she "defends" you during the ranking session. The extremely competitive ranking session is partially based on actual business results and unfortunately, a good amount is based on perceptions.

Pay is good, but they expect you to work on your evenings and weekends too. A true life/work balance is very difficult to achieve here.

Solid Company

Pricing (Current Employee) Baytown, TX

ProsSay what they mean, and mean what they say

ConsRating & Ranking system is antiquated at best

Advice to Senior ManagementThe current rating & ranking system naturally puts downward rating pressure on employees as they gain experience. Many new employees have expressed concerns over this practice. It's hard to say how many potentially strong new employees have chosen to work for other companies because of the rating and ranking system.

Training Manager

ProsIndependence. Watching other employees you have trained succeed is very gratifying. pay structure and salary amount. I really enjoyed being able to help the employees that were eager to learn. Training new managers in a retail environment and seeing they learn and become confident in themselves and their training is great.

Consworkload. There are a lot of employees that show up for training and are just there because they are required to be there and pretty much zone out from the minute you start to speak until the class is over. Having to train a group where there isn't anyone paying attention is disheartening and sends you home wondering why you are even there. During site walks seeing faces of employees that you remember from class as not paying attention and they are taking short cuts with their job duties out of laziness. You spend a great deal of time chasing paperwork and staying organized at home on your own time. The higher that you move up the salary structure the more often that you get to see Corporate auditors in an attempt to find reasons to hold you back, not give you raises and good reviews or outright show you the door so they can give your position to somebody on the bottom end of the pay scale. They don't value people but paperwork is worth it's weight in oil.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back the mentality that Mobil was always known for before the merger. Customers and employees come first. Right now the culture is such that they are more interested in saving every penny that they can for profit, damn the customers and employees. They are run by accountants and have become very cheap. They no longer take care of the very people that take care of them or the people they are there to serve.

Built on the backs of interns and temps

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsYou will find some really great people to work with in this company, depending on the department that you are in.

ConsThis company is built on the backs of interns and temps. I met several people who have been long-term temps for several years. One in particular has been a temp for over 5 years. I'm not talking about leave and come back...I mean 5 solid years in one position and NEVER asked to be a full-time employee. If the work is sub-par, the person should have been replaced. But, obviously that's not the case. If you talk to people, you'll find that there are many people who have been long-term and never even offered a full-time position. I'd venture to guess it's because they don't want to pay benefits and such.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe way you show appreciation for the people who have showed you dedication is by offering them full-time opportunities, not by keeping them as a temporary employee indefinitely.

Its a great place to work.

Records Management (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsIts a very friendly environment

ConsRegular employees looking down on the contract employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

It was a job that I really liked! I had a lot of regular customers.

Sales Team Member (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsEarly hours, plus you got off early in the day. So if you wanted to do things you still could.

ConsRude customers, sometimes you can't please everyone. But it doesn't hurt to try.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaises more often.

Gender discrimination... My boss treated my like garbage because I was a girl and then fired me when I got pregnant

Lube Technician/Customer Service (Former Employee) De Pere, WI

ProsThe only thing good about that job was I got paid and learning some new mechanical stuff. THAT'S IT...

ConsThe challenges of working at Mobil 1 existed because I was a girl. Management talked town to me as if i were stupid or beneath them. Everyone I worked with completely disregarded the relevant qualifications i possessed for the very position that I was hired for by having me do the work no one else wanted to do. Like mop the floors or clean the bathrooms. When I actually got a change to do the job that I was hired for… My boss would immediately undermined my actions or efforts by manipulating the situation leaving me in a position where I had to choice but to rely on my peers to do my job… So that way I'd always be inferior. My boss was controlling and discriminatory. When I got pregnant by boss all of a sudden treated me with constant dislike. He was always short with me and got extremely irritated by everything I did… Then at one point my boss told me that I had to sign a document stating that I willingly agree to a voluntary layoff starting at 3 months pregnant until after I had my baby. After that I regularly asked him about seeing the document and he always said that he didn't have it or he needed to get it still… I never saw that document because three weeks later I was fired for "poor work quality" without every justifying why or what I ever did.

I called the Mobil headquarters and asked them about all of it… They told me there is no such thing as a voluntary layoff at 3 months pregnant company policy and that anyone that's pregnant are allowed to work all the way up till the day the baby is born if the mother chooses.

So in a nutshell… I was discriminated against for both being a girl and being pregnant. I was was also wrongfully let go.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out through anonymous employee opinion which managers there are out there getting away with this kind of behavior towards the employees that they personally have direct control over. I'm sure I'm not the only one or the last one that's going to experience something like this.

Worked for ExxonMobil? Contribute to the Community!