ExxonMobil Reviews

Reset
3.7
ExxonMobil Chairman and CEO Rex W. Tillerson
Rex W. Tillerson

Pros
  • Employees generally respects work-life balance (in 43 reviews)

• The company offers great pay and benefits (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance seemed really skewed towards work (in 37 reviews)

• Rating & Ranking system is antiquated at best (in 66 reviews)

1. OVERALL A VERY GOOD PLACE TO WORK , SINCE I HAVE TO WORK.

Current Employee - SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT OVER SEAS OPERATIONS in Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at ExxonMobil

Pros

EXCELLENT WORKING ENVIROMENT, TRAVEL OPORTUNITIES, EXCELLENT BENEFITS,

Cons

A LARGE COMPANY, TOO MANY BOSSES, WAY TO MANY ATTITUDES, SOME BACK STABING

Advice to Management

OPEN YOUR EYES AND SEE WHAT IS REALLY GOING ON, THERE IS A WORLD OUTSIDE YOUR OFFICE,

2. ExxonMobil is a great place to work

Current Employee - Business Analysis Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Business Analysis Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil

Pros

Benefits and opportunities available at Exxon

Cons

Continuing focus on cost cutting

Advice to Management

Continue to think for the long-term

3. If you are results oriented, disciplined, and highly motivated, you can make a great career at ExxonMobil.

Current Employee - Senior Exploration Geophysicist in North Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Exploration Geophysicist in North Houston, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil

Pros

Highly ethical company, results oriented, great benefits, working with world-class colleagues, work-life balance is emphasized.

Cons

Having to work in Houston

Advice to Management

We need more compute power!

Solid workplace - great compensation

Current Employee - Geologist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Geologist in Houston, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil

Pros

Stability and great experience. With such a large company there are vast opportunities to work in a variety of places around the world. Also communication and collaboration is very impressive with such a large company.

Cons

It is a very slim and trim operation. There's a reason why it consistantly makes a great profit than similar comapnies because of disciplined management. So the perks and fringe benefits you might see at smaller companies are not here. Also because it is the biggest and most profitable, it is also the most hated and everyone likes to put its sights on the company. There are no official 9/80s but the flex schedule program is a good if not better surrogate which allows for very very flexible work hours. The flex schedule is probably a greater advantage to employees with families and children but is still very useful to single employees.

Advice to Management

Get us into areas for more exploration!

6. ExxonMobil is a great place to have a career within a career

Current Employee - Cost and Schedule Engineer
    Current Employee - Cost and Schedule Engineer

I have been working at ExxonMobil

Pros

Ability to have a career within a career, you can start as an engineer and continue in engineering assignments for your entire career or move into management, operations, technical sales, go get your MBA, Tax or Law degree and return into that part of the company. YOu will be exposed to the world's largerst, unique and one of a kind type of structures and facilities which are all world class in scale and involde unique proprietary technology.

Cons

EMRE is there to support our "customers" which are located around the worls and thus one needs to be mobile to be successful

Advice to Management

Continue to grow and develop your emerging leaders and they will soon be inheriting the company

7. Outstanding opportunities

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil

Pros

You work with brilliant people and you have incredible opportunities to develop. You are rotated around to ensure full development.

Cons

There are huge bureaucratic procedures that you must put up with as any large company has.

Advice to Management

Senior management does a great job of interacting with the employees, but it would be nice to see a bit more transparency.

8. An Apprentice's perspective of ExxonMobil.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil

Pros

Great people, fantastic compensation. The group I worked with were very helpful, intelligent and fun. Overall I spent a great deal of time learning the corporate culture and studying the Oil and Gas field. After I had completed this start-up phase, I found the work very rewarding. I enjoyed my team very much as they were competent and reliable.

Cons

Large company means a great deal of corporate structure to work with. Takes some time to get up to speed and this may be disconcerting at first, but over time your production will normalize and the experience becomes much more pleasurable. The company is committed to employee development and they offer tuition reimbursement and extensive training throughout your career.

Advice to Management

The thing I would improve is the fluidity of communication and production by limiting the level of involvement of corporate process and attempt to operate subdivisions as smaller companies which may be more flexible.

9. Inside perspective on ExxonMobil

Current Employee - Environmental & Regulator Advisor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Environmental & Regulator Advisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil

Pros

Good compensation, excellent leadership opportunities, and excellent opportunities for international travel. I have found my work very interesting and worthwhile. Additionally the current demographics of the company give alot of future opportunities for advancement. I am excited to working at ExxonMobil and the career possibilities it will give me.

Cons

Work life balance isn't the best, but ExxonMobil is full of smart people who keep pushing the limits on how much they can they can achieve. Compared to my peers I work more hours then them but I am also paid quite a bit more then them. ExxonMobil is a conservative, risk adverse company that doesn't move very quickly but also won't be laying anyone off any time soon either. Down or up this company will be constant and look long term.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

10. Sound business philosophy

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at ExxonMobil

Pros

Good pay with great opportunities for advancement. Many high levels positions will be left vacant in the coming years as the Baby Boomer generation retires, making them available for those of us moving up in the company. Supervisors have always been great about allowing leave to take care of personal matters.

Cons

Travel requirements for high level advancement (although undertsandable) can put a strain on family life. This is especially hard if your spouse has a good career in a different industry. Depending on where you are located and the assignment you are in it can be tough to be noticed by people higher up in the company because it is so large. This really forces you to try and come up with new innnovative ways to accomplish things and get that recignition most people are looking for.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on the strong technical base of the company and promote growth assignments.

Welcome to the good life

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil

Pros

the long term strategy for exxon has provided continual growth opportunities for employees. The benefits package is the best I have ever seen and the pay is incredible. This is a company that has posted record profit and has taken care of its employees accordingly. The cost of living in texas is very cheap. There are international opportunities to work abroad and they even give you a massive bonus (sometimes) if you're going to a remote region in the world.

Cons

very conservative company that lacks innovation. The company is very top heavy with many employees being there 25+ years already.

Advice to Management

keep on truckin

RSS Feed </> Embed