ExxonMobil Reviews

792 reviews filtered by
3.7
ExxonMobil Chairman and CEO Rex W. Tillerson
Rex W. Tillerson

Pros
  • Work-life balance supported by management in a meaningful way (in 43 reviews)

• The pay and benefits are great as it is big oil (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • This can be a good thing, but not when you desire a strong work/life balance (in 37 reviews)

• Ranking system is flawed because hard work is not taken into account (in 66 reviews)

Felt unappreciated and looked down on from managers. Snobs walk around doing nothing.

Current Contractor - Help Desk Analyst in Moncton, NB (Canada)
    Current Contractor - Help Desk Analyst in Moncton, NB (Canada)

I have been working at ExxonMobil as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Taking calls from internal employees was pleasant most of the time.

Cons

Being contractor, no benefits, didn't feel like part of the team. Supervisors are very arrogant

Company doesn't care

Hire people full time. Make them feel included.

Jobs going away, and then coming back? Help Desk is a sad, sad story. Be a drone or lose your job.

Former Contractor - Former Helpdesk Support in Moncton, NB (Canada)
    Former Contractor - Former Helpdesk Support in Moncton, NB (Canada)

I worked at ExxonMobil as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

- No Pro's to being a contractor.

Cons

- Helpdesk was taken out of its roots in North America and was put on the shoulders of South America and South Asia. This was to cut costs and have cheap but liable support. Now its back to North America where they want to fix whatever broken pieces were made. There was most likely an outrage of employee's not getting anything done because the support was either poor or the language barrier that those people had to face were unbearable. A horrible deal was made, people lost jobs/contracts, and now Exxon wants the original HelpDesk to pick up the pieces.
    - No benefit to being a Contractor. You do not get paid for the time off that you want so if you are looking to pay off any debts you better be ready to not have vacation pay.
    - If you are a contractor you are part of the herd and must follow in line.
    - You really have no say in anything as a contractor. If what you say is negative but constructive be prepared to lose your contract.
    - If you slip or make a mistake it will cost you your job. Even if the slip up was as small as an Email.
    - If you work really hard and do overtime be prepared to work even harder because they will take advantage of that.

- Stop the highschool antics, and treat contractors better.
    - Give people a second chance if they make a stupid mistake. We are all human and we all make mistakes.

3. terrible workplace in terms of red tapes, office politics, exemplar mismanagement,

Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist
    Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Good starting pay, pension (while it lasts), 7% match in 401(k)
    -paid time off

Cons

-racially biased, lack of transparency at all levels (be it determining pay or next promotion or giving awards)
    -pay will stagnate for ever if your manager doesn't like you, but thankfully they change often
    -rating-ranking process is just a joke, its all about how much the manager love/hate you
    -too many useless meeting and too less productive work hours
    -current chemophobia will choke the research productivity

-overhaul of mid-level management, check the decline in research innovation (e.g., the chemical company did not bring out a single product in market in last 50 years excluding polymers)
    -don't treat a research lab and a refinery in same way in terms of risk metrics
    -encourage diversity and use excellence as sole basis for recruiting new hires

Experienced Hires are Treated like 3rd Class Citizens

Current Employee - Engineer in Baytown, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Baytown, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great for new hires straight out of colleges and developing a career from there.

Cons

Management changes every 2-3 years. Managers and leads are people with very poor technical skills. This company basically runs on it's contract employees. The company has gone into a recent hiring spree for experiences hires to cover the gap in experience with the promise of developing their careers and providing global opportunities. This is a farce. The job you get hired into is the job you get stuck into. Your life will be pretty miserable if your manager finds out that you get paid higher than them or your CL level is higher than theirs.

If you are letting experienced hires go within a year. There is a serious problem with your management within that group.

Pleasant

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at ExxonMobil as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Good work environment , pay and benefits.

Cons

Long hours, little training, commute.

Buy & Go was horrible

Former Employee - Cashier in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Cashier in Wilmington, NC

I worked at ExxonMobil full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I am really sorry but I can not think of any reason to work here, unless you are a man. I have never been treated the way I was treated when I worked for Buy & Go. It was a very sexist and biased place to work at, and I do not recommended it for any female.

Cons

I worked with an elderly gentleman who hasseled me to nnot o end. He propsentioned me for sex once he found out I was a single mother. I had to change my number multiple times. Management would not take a formal complaint nor would they schedule me on a different shift from him. I ended up walking out of the job without giving two weeks notice because I could not deal with him any longer.

Treat women as equels.

8. Gender discrimination... My boss treated my like garbage because I was a girl and then fired me when I got pregnant

Former Employee - Lube Technician/Customer Service in De Pere, WI
    Former Employee - Lube Technician/Customer Service in De Pere, WI

I worked at ExxonMobil part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The only thing good about that job was I got paid and learning some new mechanical stuff. THAT'S IT...

Cons

The challenges of working at Mobil 1 existed because I was a girl. Management talked town to me as if i were stupid or beneath them. Everyone I worked with completely disregarded the relevant qualifications i possessed for the very position that I was hired for by having me do the work no one else wanted to do. Like mop the floors or clean the bathrooms. When I actually got a change to do the job that I was hired for… My boss would immediately undermined my actions or efforts by manipulating the situation leaving me in a position where I had to choice but to rely on my peers to do my job… So that way I'd always be inferior. My boss was controlling and discriminatory. When I got pregnant by boss all of a sudden treated me with constant dislike. He was always short with me and got extremely irritated by everything I did… Then at one point my boss told me that I had to sign a document stating that I willingly agree to a voluntary layoff starting at 3 months pregnant until after I had my baby. After that I regularly asked him about seeing the document and he always said that he didn't have it or he needed to get it still… I never saw that document because three weeks later I was fired for "poor work quality" without every justifying why or what I ever did.

I called the Mobil headquarters and asked them about all of it… They told me there is no such thing as a voluntary layoff at 3 months pregnant company policy and that anyone that's pregnant are allowed to work all the way up till the day the baby is born if the mother chooses.

So in a nutshell… I was discriminated against for both being a girl and being pregnant. I was was also wrongfully let go.

Figure out through anonymous employee opinion which managers there are out there getting away with this kind of behavior towards the employees that they personally have direct control over. I'm sure I'm not the only one or the last one that's going to experience something like this.

9. Lack of professionalism, transparency and leadership

Former Contractor - Sales in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Former Contractor - Sales in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I worked at ExxonMobil as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Had a brief stint as a contractor in Menara Exxonmobil in the Downstream business (commercial sales) Nice office in Central KL. close to Petronas Twin Towers.

Cons

Discovered that compensation (salary) was much lower compared to peers when on the job. Micromanagement by immediate supervisor. Manager thinks that just because of his position that he does not have to be respectful or reasonable to subordinates that have a different viewpoint to him

Just because you are manager and permanent employee does not mean you can just step on contractors

Good Money, Bad Cause

Current Employee - Senior Research Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Research Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-good pay and bonuses
    -lots of resources

Cons

-corruption at upper levels
    -bad cause
    -lots of bureaucracy

Go to hell

11. Boring

Current Employee - Operator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Operator in New York, NY

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pay and benefits are decent and there's still a pension but that's about it. And I need six more word for the minimum.

Cons

The work is boring. There's not much opportunity to move into the trade you want. It'd be easier to quit and reapply for an open position and rely on the internal application process. Don't believe anything they promise you unless you get it in writing. They tend to "forget" or just drag issues out until people get fed up and stop asking. High turn over and it's everyone for themselves with no teamwork. Most of the safety culture is just talk as well.