ExxonMobil

Updated December 17, 2014
3.7

ExxonMobil Chairman and CEO Rex W. Tillerson
Rex W. Tillerson

Pros
  • Work-life balance supported by management in a meaningful way (in 43 reviews)

• The pay and benefits are great as it is big oil (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • This can be a good thing, but not when you desire a strong work/life balance (in 37 reviews)

• Ranking system is flawed because hard work is not taken into account (in 66 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company for long term employment

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time

Pros

Good Pay.
    High job security
    Global career opportunity

Cons

hard to progress career if ranking not in favor
    too big, process orientated
    sometimes need to relocate due to work

revising ranking process

Great Strengths and Greater Problems

I worked at ExxonMobil full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working at Exxon Mobil is like living at MIT. Your colleagues are the best of their business in the entire world. In my 13 years there I was still blown away by the quality of my colleagues. Management is another thing, though.

Cons

Exxon uses the old "forced stack ranking" method for employee assessment. Your time there is like playing in one of the survivor games on television. A certain number of people will be fired every year Every employee is ranked in salary grade and a percentage will be fired every year. Thank former GE President Jack Welch for this idea. It has been the ruin of most of America's industries for a long time now. If Exxon hired 100 Nobel Laureates for a project, after a short while, half of them would be considered "below average." It all comes from a basic misunderstanding of statistics caused by sampling bias. Interns and short-term employees will not see this, but as you hold a job longer, it becomes a superb way to get rid of older, better-paid employees.

Quit ruling by the reign of terror. Just because the system put you on top doesn't mean it is a good system. Edwards Deming's rule of "drive out fear" is just the opposite of what you do. You rule by fear.

Excellent. Very challenging, but a great learning experience and a great company to work for.

Current Employee - Midstream Operations in Fairfax Station, VA
    Current Employee - Midstream Operations in Fairfax Station, VA

I have been working at ExxonMobil as an intern

Pros

Competitive, surrounded by very intelligent people, hire people for a career, outstanding benefits (pension), global company, very strong values and ethics, very strong focus on safety and health of employees

Cons

Can be long hours, large corporation-- lots of politics, slow company to react, lots of people watching everything this company does

I think ExxonMobil needs to work on its public image to customers especially new customers. Right now it is perceived that ExxonMobil is "hard to work with and hard to get in touch with if someone is interested in purchasing something".

Always receiving on the job, classroom and computer training! Love my job!

Current Employee - Multi-skilled Technician in Port Allen, LA
    Current Employee - Multi-skilled Technician in Port Allen, LA

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great hours, training, benefits, coworkers, bosses and team work. I have only been there two months but so far I am so excited that I have found a place I can see myself retiring.

Cons

Very behind on technology for employers. Flip phones and paper logs are below Exxon's level. Much needed updating for terminals and means of completing "paper work". Still tracking time using Excel spreadsheet instead of using a website time keeper.

Continue to stay in touch with the ground level employees. You're doing a great job. Don't be scared to to listen to the FLSs. They are very in touch with the work groups and have a great relationship with them.

A great opportunity

Current Employee - Environmental Advisor in Beaumont, TX
    Current Employee - Environmental Advisor in Beaumont, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Plenty of people to do the job and willing to do things right. The company will make the resources available to do things correctly.

Cons

Very specialized in duties. Almost like an assembly line. Very hard to see the big picture of where your job fits into the whole.

Provide the employees some some room to work. While there may be some money saved in putting people in a rabbit hutch, it does not improve efficiency.

Expect to get paid and shut up

Current Employee - Territory Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay.
    Awesome relocation. Most people make money when moving. Basically, the company will pick up the tab if you're underwater.
    Good for your resume.

Cons

Lack of work/life balance.
    Disregard for employee stability. They will move you to a new geography every few years. Refuse the move, and you will never get promoted.
    Extremely conservative management and values.
    Don't expect to provide any input on anything, including your career management. Promotions are decided by secret committee.

Trainee and fix term employee

I worked at ExxonMobil full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Gives you a lot of exposure for the future. It is a good place to have you first work experience

Cons

Your opinion and choices about your future are not taken into account. Trainees are a way of saving money, because they work the same amount of hours than regular employees but are payed less

Take into account that the employees are people and have feelings and necessities

chemical engineer

I have been working at ExxonMobil

Pros

a lot of money for the work

Cons

there was lots of work

less work

Great company & great opportunity

Former Employee - Human Resources Intern in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Human Resources Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Compensation is top notch, very structured developmental opportunities, collaborative and passionate employees to work with and management who give their time and interest into your projects.

Cons

This was my first foray into the corporate world and since this is a very high performing company, my 3 month internship was rather intense at times; however, in retrospect, it made me a better person.

Good so far

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, salary, workplace flexibility, 401k/pension, interesting projects

Cons

Ranking system, bureaucratic, simple requests take time to get approved, move to woodlands

Keep up the good work
    Drop the ranking system and make your employees feel good about themselves