ExxonMobil Reviews

226 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
Employment Status

Reset

1. Frustrating at times, and not challenging enough.

Current Employee - Lab Technician in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Lab Technician in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Nice gifts given for achievement milestones made, at least at the plant I'm working at. People in general are nice.

Cons

Management moved around too much. Part of the process to cross train and promote people, however, causes a lot of projects and basic supervisory and management items fall short. The company is so big they have everything globalized and not enough things taken care of within local region/area. Too many chains to go through for approvals to accomplish anything. Pay roll system is a nightmare. Checks are confusing to understand due to strange payment methods. Preventative maintenance is non-existent. Company does not put enough towards updating equipment and facilities, they have a run to failure outlook so equipment used until it breaks and a lot of things are ancient, 20, 30 years old. I'm just not impressed with the way things are ran where I'm located. Everyone is just another number in this large corporation. Also, 12 hour rotating shifts are awful on a person's health. Understaffed and work a lot of overtime and never get holidays off being a newer employee.

Advice to Management

Fully staff areas of facility. Consider better work hours for operations, lab personnel for a healthier safer way to work people. Actually remember to fulfill supervision responsibilities if in that type of position to maintain fairness and orderliness in facility areas to prevent workers from taking advantage of others and the system.

OK place to work

Current Employee - Accounting in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Accounting in Houston, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The day goes by fast because we are so busy

Cons

Micro Management is being enforced

Advice to Management

Too much micro management

Great Company to work for, lots of rules, overtime and paper work to document.

Current Employee - Terminal Supervisor in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Terminal Supervisor in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You get lots of great training, great benefits and opportunities to advance through paid educational programs.

Cons

Not enough recognition for work well done or suggested new ideas that gets implemented. Office dictators don't get out in the field enough.

Advice to Management

Promote lesson learned safety meeting monthly, solicit front line employees for fresh new ideas and for the office dictators, get out of the office and in to the field more because that's where the real work gets done.

5. I loved it. Just had a problem with co worker

Former Employee - Cashier in Greenville, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in Greenville, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved the people i worked for.

Cons

No challenges just some people wouldn't d OK there job

Great salary, okay people

Current Employee - Programmatics Engineer
    Current Employee - Programmatics Engineer

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great salary and benefits, solid reputation, high business standards

Cons

Extremely competitive, leadership lacks compassion, and flawed performance review process.

Advice to Management

Consider revising MPT performance review process to allow more annual ranking variation consistent with employee improvements. Also direct leadership to provide more clarity on employees work goals and priorities. Maybe also include an awareness training for managing minorities and respect for their cultural differences.

7. Good company to work for

Current Employee - Engineering Specialist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineering Specialist in Houston, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work flexibility, lot of opportunities to grow yourself if ok with hard work

Cons

Poor work-life balance, tons of hours expected out of employees

Advice to Management

Stop promoting only your favorites

8. Safety

Current Employee - Safety Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Safety Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great job and great pay

Cons

no cons evrything is great

Tremendous amounts of knowledge, training and experience

Former Employee - ATO in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - ATO in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at ExxonMobil full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay as a terminal operator is substantial.

Cons

Blame culture, little to no personal time and high degree of political atmosphere

Advice to Management

employee treatment is questionable

10. Great Benefits, Boring Culture

Former Employee - IT Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compensation, Work/Life Balance, the ability to work from home, job security, friendly people.

Cons

Very slow moving and bureaucratic. No ability to transfer jobs/roles cross functionally which was something that was preached to me during recruitment. Surprisingly stingy for being the most profitable company in the world.

Great Strengths and Greater Problems

I worked at ExxonMobil full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working at Exxon Mobil is like living at MIT. Your colleagues are the best of their business in the entire world. In my 13 years there I was still blown away by the quality of my colleagues. Management is another thing, though.

Cons

Exxon uses the old "forced stack ranking" method for employee assessment. Your time there is like playing in one of the survivor games on television. A certain number of people will be fired every year Every employee is ranked in salary grade and a percentage will be fired every year. Thank former GE President Jack Welch for this idea. It has been the ruin of most of America's industries for a long time now. If Exxon hired 100 Nobel Laureates for a project, after a short while, half of them would be considered "below average." It all comes from a basic misunderstanding of statistics caused by sampling bias. Interns and short-term employees will not see this, but as you hold a job longer, it becomes a superb way to get rid of older, better-paid employees.

Advice to Management

Quit ruling by the reign of terror. Just because the system put you on top doesn't mean it is a good system. Edwards Deming's rule of "drive out fear" is just the opposite of what you do. You rule by fear.

RSS Feed </> Embed