ExxonMobil

www.exxonmobil.com
Profile Unclaimed

Great Strengths and Greater Problems

I worked at ExxonMobil full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working at Exxon Mobil is like living at MIT. Your colleagues are the best of their business in the entire world. In my 13 years there I was still blown away by the quality of my colleagues. Management is another thing, though.

Cons

Exxon uses the old "forced stack ranking" method for employee assessment. Your time there is like playing in one of the survivor games on television. A certain number of people will be fired every year Every employee is ranked in salary grade and a percentage will be fired every year. Thank former GE President Jack Welch for this idea. It has been the ruin of most of America's industries for a long time now. If Exxon hired 100 Nobel Laureates for a project, after a short while, half of them would be considered "below average." It all comes from a basic misunderstanding of statistics caused by sampling bias. Interns and short-term employees will not see this, but as you hold a job longer, it becomes a superb way to get rid of older, better-paid employees.

Quit ruling by the reign of terror. Just because the system put you on top doesn't mean it is a good system. Edwards Deming's rule of "drive out fear" is just the opposite of what you do. You rule by fear.

I was a co-op at ExxonMobil for less than one year

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at ExxonMobil as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

There are very smart people all around. Projects are interesting and relevant to real-world problems in the energy field. The environment is friendly and professional, with social groups and activities to participate in. The compensation is also very good, especially for an intern/co-op position.

Cons

Communication between departments/projects sometimes suffers due to the size and scope of the company. There are a lot of security procedures that, while perhaps necessary, can inhibit the progress of projects.

Experienced Hires are Treated like 3rd Class Citizens

Current Employee - Engineer in Baytown, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Baytown, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great for new hires straight out of colleges and developing a career from there.

Cons

Management changes every 2-3 years. Managers and leads are people with very poor technical skills. This company basically runs on it's contract employees. The company has gone into a recent hiring spree for experiences hires to cover the gap in experience with the promise of developing their careers and providing global opportunities. This is a farce. The job you get hired into is the job you get stuck into. Your life will be pretty miserable if your manager finds out that you get paid higher than them or your CL level is higher than theirs.

If you are letting experienced hires go within a year. There is a serious problem with your management within that group.

Great pay horrible management

Former Employee - Office Educational Student in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Office Educational Student in Houston, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil full-time (more than a year)

Pros

good pay for entry level job
    great benefits
    friendly coworkers

Cons

old company refusing to keep up with current times
    too obsessed with maintaining outdated culture
    foolish management practices
    very boring job at times

listen to employees ideas more. be more willing to try new things

Expect to get paid and shut up

Current Employee - Territory Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Manager

I have been working at ExxonMobil full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay.
    Awesome relocation. Most people make money when moving. Basically, the company will pick up the tab if you're underwater.
    Good for your resume.

Cons

Lack of work/life balance.
    Disregard for employee stability. They will move you to a new geography every few years. Refuse the move, and you will never get promoted.
    Extremely conservative management and values.
    Don't expect to provide any input on anything, including your career management. Promotions are decided by secret committee.

Loaded with money, full of dishonesty and negative employees, and little recognition/appreciation

Current Contractor - Lab Tech
    Current Contractor - Lab Tech

I have been working at ExxonMobil as a contractor

Pros

They have lots of money because America's still reliant on oil, and they emphasize a "culture of safety" which was really appealing to me....until I realized that it was merely a facade. I thought cultivating a safety mindset through one of their programs that recognized safe behaviors was a great idea because it required employees to consciously think of safe acts. It reinforced & reminded me of both the daily routine actions we took, as well as the not-so routine ones. Repetition is the mother of all skill so I thought this was a great program....but this was not their intention.

I won the program for the 2nd time, and the card that was picked was one I filled out for a permanent employee. He received the gift card, but neglected to honor the award of the program for me because the cards were supposedly only for "above and beyond behaviors"...which does not explain the fact that my co-worker received the gift card.

Cons

Nearly everyone dislikes the politics, rules, regulations, and are overall very negative and glum. It was so sad to see so many dissatisfied employees, esepecially the lab technians, who would constantly complain about the company. Lab tech cannot travel & the company would waste millions of dollars to fly someone over to the site to be trained on an instrument by a technician (with decades of experience), fly the researcher back across the country to the instrument...just to get around the "techicians can't travel" policy.

The majority of people working there are contractors, even technicians. Some labs had merely the researcher who sits in their office all day (doing no labwork), and 100% of the technicians on the team were contract technicians. Contractors have no access to gym (proven to fuel productivity), no paid time off, excluded from various events, and vastly underappreciated. Furthermore, the contract allows it so that a contractor can come into work one morning & be laid off. This happened to me. I went on my first vacation in 6 years and took 2 days off. I enjoyed the work I was doing and was finally able to pursue my dream....but then I come back from vacation and my ID card doesn't work at security. With absolutely no reason, warning, justification, I find out my contract position was terminated because "the project wasn't going where they wanted it". Yet, my co-worker who was not a contractor was still on the project... The idiotic thing was that I never even trained someone on the work I personally developed during my time there!

Researchers also steal patents & ideas from eachother often. A technician might come up with an idea that's intiallly dismissed and then the next week the researcher claims he came up with the exact same idea!

In the lab I worked, saftey was often neglected for the sake of "productivity" (hidden for years from the P.I.), with cracking pressurized lines, inhaling chemical vapors, and horrid ergonmic conditions...& was even encouraged to hide such acts from the PI.

Do some research on what actually makes employees happy & top predictors of job success!.

I had a great experience!

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Houston, TX
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Houston, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great, smart, motivated individuals to work with. The people at ExxonMobil, by nature of the company's very selective hiring process, have a great work ethic- they are self-motivated to do a good job.

Cons

The benefits seem to be similar to all the major oil and gas companies, despite the fact that it seems more difficult to get hired at ExxonMobil than the other companies.

Trainee and fix term employee

I worked at ExxonMobil full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Gives you a lot of exposure for the future. It is a good place to have you first work experience

Cons

Your opinion and choices about your future are not taken into account. Trainees are a way of saving money, because they work the same amount of hours than regular employees but are payed less

Take into account that the employees are people and have feelings and necessities

Love my job, but feel like second class citizen

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Houston, TX
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Houston, TX

I have been working at ExxonMobil as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoy the fast-paced and challenging work in a pleasant work environment. I recommend working here as an employee only ... not as a contractor.

Cons

ExxonMobil tends to hire contractors to avoid providing benefits. I work just as hard as employees with the same title and responsibilities, but get no benefits - no vacation, no insurance, no 401K matching funds, and probably less pay than my co-workers.

Hiring long-term contractors (longer than 3-6 mos) to work at the same level of responsibility and professionalism as employees, but without providing the same benefits, is SHAMEFUL and DEMORALIZING to contractors. To make matters worse, all O&G related businesses are behaving the same way, making it very difficult for contractors to become permanent employees like their co-workers who were hired before this trend began.

Never in my life did I expect to be my age, with my level of experience, under-paid, over-worked, no hope for even 1 day of paid vacation, no health insurance, no 401K, and basically no respect. It's painful to watch everyone around me get vacation time, Christmas bonuses, all the packaged benefits employees enjoy, while I pretty much eat dirt. I don't begrudge them their benefits, because they deserve them ... but so do I.

ExxonMobil - a dream company!

Former Intern - Document Control Assistant in Houston, TX
    Former Intern - Document Control Assistant in Houston, TX

I worked at ExxonMobil as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Work life balance: Great place to work for if you're a family person and have other commitments apart from your job
    Paycheck: Very competitive salary, you will not be disappointed
    Traveling for work: Will get to see a lot of different countries during your business trips
    Always a sweet venue for corporate parties: They book the nicest hotels, restaurants, museums etc. for parties

Cons

Could be stressful at times
    Juggling multiple deadlines