Exxonmobil Research & Engineering Company

Updated Jan 5, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rex W. Tillerson

Attracts highly intelligent workforce, but the best people leave after a few years due to terrible work environment.

Irving, TX

I have been working at Exxonmobil Research & Engineering Company full-time

ProsMany bright and interesting people, challenging work, good place to learn skills and then go on to something better.

ConsGood old boy management
Poor middle management
Politics trumps all
Horrible hours
Diversity and work-life balance are a myth
No training
Antiquated computers and software (this was really surprising)

Need to be good at playing the system to thrive.

Senior Engineer (Former Employee)
Annandale, NJ

I worked at Exxonmobil Research & Engineering Company full-time for more than 10 years

ProsInteresting technical projects.
Good infrastructure/resources for conducting research.

ConsVery authoritarian culture.
Lot of back-biting spurred by force ranking.
Frustration among majority of the researchers due to lot of "busy work" and useless meetings.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo arrogant to listen.

Exciting Company with helpful colleagues BUT bad compensation and benefits

Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee)
Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I worked at Exxonmobil Research & Engineering Company full-time for less than a year

Prosexcellent place to learn,
helpful colleague from CEO, AEO and GSO,
nice office,
plenty of knowledge / information resources

Consbad traveling arrangement,
double standard - malaysian staff do not enjoy the same benefit / compensation per american staff, i.e: share option scheme etc,
awkward working hour

Good work environment,

Scientist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Exxonmobil Research & Engineering Company full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt's a great environment for engineering and science. People here are technically top-notch and very friendly. No office politics - atleast not of the nasty kind. Pay is decent and good benefits - including a pension plan.

The company hires for life - and encourages thinking of your career there in multi-decade time-spans.

Great work life balance - a lot of vacation time, sensible working hours.

Also, with the current petroleum boom - the outlook for this company is very promising.

ConsNot the best place to build a career if you don't fit into the core competencies - chem-eng, reservoir-eng, geo-physics, geology, etc. Also, you have to move locations often to further your career - staying in the same job-family too long causes career stagnation.
Not ideal when you have a family and a working spouse.

The physical condition of their offices is kind of ratty - old furniture, slow and unwieldy laptops, ratty carpeting, cafeteria food is horrible, no free coffee or sodas - stuff like.

Great company to work

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Exxonmobil Research & Engineering Company full-time for more than 10 years

ProsVery high technical standard set in all area of oil and gas with great people to work with. Great company for strong and highly talented new hires to develop their technical skill-sets.

ConsCompany is getting too large and has large company challenges for new entrant..

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great job, though there is room to improve.

career and employee development

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Exxonmobil Research & Engineering Company full-time for more than 8 years

Prosamazing career and personal development for employees, excellent retirement savings plan, the people are incredible and long time friends, management is very well coached and groomed for success, excellent communication across all levels, things are very well planned and thought out

Consmost things move to Houston, decisions are sometimes slow to make and implement, salary is lower than at other companies (i.e. - a computer person could make better money at a tech company)

Advice to Senior Managementpay could be better

Very rewarding

Research Technician/Plant Operator (Current Employee)
Baytown, TX

I have been working at Exxonmobil Research & Engineering Company full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOffers challenges to those who love them. Trial of new products and support for other plants to solve a particular problem satisfy my need of challenges. As a prior operator in a commercial plant, I loved my job, but lacked the challenges and change up I seek.

ConsLimited budget sometimes forces you to work with what you have when you know a certain piece of equipment will help the process work better. Young engineers are hired usually directly out of school to cut their teeth on, and move on within a year or two, so it's a tiring process of having to "school" them in what will work and what doesn't. Lack of support for issues that bring us to a halt.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe understand the overwhelming feeling of a new position, however, have new engineers for the units be required to also learn and understand the unit they are running. In the field, with the operators, start ups to shutdowns, and get to know and understand the limitations of the unit. When they understand and know the unit, it helps us help them while helping us get the support we need when things are not turning out as was expected.

Excellent company to work for

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
Fairfax, VA

ProsIncentives, pay is really good, room to grow within the company, flexible work schedule

ConsRelocating to Houston and will not pay for administrative staff move

Advice to Senior ManagementLook out for the administrative when it comes to relocation

Get to know the system

I have been working at Exxonmobil Research & Engineering Company full-time for more than 8 years

ProsMany opportunities for those willing to put in the time

ConsOnce pegged as non performer difficult to change perceptions

Worked for Exxonmobil Research & Engineering Company? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Exxonmobil Research & Engineering Company reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Exxonmobil Research & Engineering Company CEO Rex W. Tillerson. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Exxonmobil Research & Engineering Company employees.