Eye Care Centers of America

Eye Care Centers of America CEO and Director David L. Holmberg

David L. Holmberg

Eye Care

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsGood pay, opportunity for promotions and good company values to say the least I enjoyed working with our office culture.

ConsThere isn't really a work life balance, because leadership thinks your job should be your life.

Great place to work. Keep current with changes in technology.

ProsFlex hours, multiple locations. Clean and professional environment.

ConsNeed to promote from within more.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees more and try to hire from within as much as possible.

This company seems to be moving in a positive direction.

Inventory Specialist (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsThe benefits are pretty good, includes free Vision and glasses for every family member on the dental or medical. This company listens, or at least really tries to, the President of the company had a sit down meeting in pretty small groups that we were familiar with and asked us what they could be doing to make it a more "employee friendly" environment,. There was not anyone director or above so we felt comfortable really discussing with the president our issues and needs. Then they actually implemented several ideas, such as, information sessions about your health insurance, and one for your 401k, etc. The company is pretty eager to engage the workforce and community. There are several give back programs, the United Way is company backed while there is a group of people who, of their own free will, donate their lunch hour every few days or so to do "Meals on Feet," the first Meals on Wheals route that is on foot due to the downtown location. So yeah, sometimes it gets all corporatey and there are some DEFINITE "Office Space" moments, but really, isn't that everywhere. The important part is that the people enjoy the in between, and I do.

ConsMy issues are really the same issues that you might find in any bureaucratic situation, corporate double speak, and if you aren't very good with spin you may have a few problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease remember that you are setting the example, your bad habits are learned by your subordinates and your achievements set the bar.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

...It was a job

Eyewear Specialist (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsLots of new experiences; different personalities mean that although you'll repeat the same process, you'll never repeat the same DAY, if that makes any sense. Consulting with many different kinds of people, diverse products that allow you to meet needs and wants at the same time, and quite easily. Good commissions.

ConsNEVER get a weekend off. I repeat, you NEVER get a weekend off. In your interview however, they will say that you will get every other weekend off. It's almost impossible to get a day off, only to get to work on the day you requested to find that a coworker called in 5 minutes before their shift. Favoritism; suck-ups get promoted whether they're equipped for the job or not, and if they favor you over another employee, they will let bothersome employees leave early and require you to stay late. Five minutes before the end of EVERY shift, you will hear this infamous question: "Do you think you can stay a little late?" If you say "No", you will be mistreated for days thereafter for opting to work your scheduled hours instead of working someone else's. Sales quotas aren't necessarily hard to meet for a full time employee, however the amount of time they're repeated to you and intimidation tactics create unnecessary stress for employees. Coworkers will let you go through the entire process of consulting with a customer, telling them about upsells and convincing them to get them, and creating trust - and then steal that customer the moment you leave the floor. Zero scheduling flexibility, even if you have a disability of some sort, like a transportation issue or a public transit situation that could impact your safety (ie. needing to clock out before dark to make your commute, or at least to clock out before 11PM :-|) Needs a technology upgrade.

Your experience at Eyemasters depends ENTIRELY on the manager that you have.

I lovingly referred to this job as "The Eyewear Sweatshop"

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't require more of a good employee in order to accept less from a bad employee. Streamline expectations. Encourage employees rather than intimidate them.

Ok

General Manager/Licensed Optician (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsCompany gives great tools and skills that can be taken to any company or any product.

ConsCompany focuses on kpi as reasons for advancement, however best fit person may or may not have best kpis.

A very time consuming rollercoaster of changes and retraining on new initiatives.

General Manager/Licensed Optician (Current Employee) Gilbert, AZ

ProsThe the medical benefits and base pay are are excellent for Licenses.
    I personally have an exceptional TD.
    The company is thriving and growing in a struggling economy.
    Company changes all positive and potentialy

ConsNot enough hours/Employees given to free up enough time to properly train/coach/manage.
    Too many hours necessary to work to properly manage a store.
    Despite the necessary hours - Not much flexibility regarding the schedule from upper management to take care of unexpected personal life concerns.

Advice to Senior ManagementI highly respect the management for my territory and I am excited about the direction the company is taking. My only advice would be: look at the number of hours/employees we had a year ago and just give us back half of those so we could actually "run the sales floor", coach and manage. Instead I am almost always with customers and I have to stay late to complete everything required of me.

Old Boys Network

Territory Manager (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsFor an Old boys network of vp's, the company was extremely progressive with women. I was told by the company president upon recieving my offer "don't think you can just get by around here with your pretty face". Although taken aback a bit, I honestly felt that my VP had my best interests at heart. All of the Vice presidents (there are quite a few) had all worked together at one point - coming from Curcuit City. Even my head hunter had done the same.

ConsThe salary for Eye Doctors was excessively low, and in much smaller towns was extremely difficult to bring doctors on. There were offices that ran for years without eye doctors! There was supposedly a head hunter available, but he never followed up on what he said he would do. Again, one of the Circuit City boys.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that the people you place to assist the field are truly doing their job. Just because they were your golden boy at a former job does not make them efficient.

Great people at the unit level working for a totally lost corporate and mid level managers

Third Key (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsOn the job training. No experience necessary to start but plenty experience is gained.

Consthe "Sales Culture".It is going to ruin the company too much focus on having retailers force to push people to buy products they may not want or need.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to do a better job at Strategic Management. Determining core competencies and strategically positioning ourselves. Clear pricing that matches our marketing position with a more congruent message to the customer. More communication from the field level who are closer to the customers and understand their needs. Change from a "Sales culture" to a "Service" culture. Offer fair wages and merit increases. Less restricted times off and get rid of the ultra specific dress code.

Now hiring

Eyewear Specialist (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsVision insurance given to all employees within the first week of hire. Good beginner's experience in a sales environment. Fellow employees are respectful and easy to get along with. Receives commission based on sales.

ConsManagement lacks direction and decision making. Customers can be hard to deal with. Hiring process is slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a management team with experience in optics and sales. Also look for leadership and education.

NO REWARD

Optical Sales (Current Employee) West Palm Beach, FL

ProsMost employees are grea and hours are ok

Consdoesn't matter how much experience you have, when it come right down to it you are a salesman.
    You can sell the perfect pair of eyeglasses and get a commision of about 20 to 100.00 a week but if you don't sell that 6.99 cleaning kit you will get written up. And as easily as it is to make commission you lose it faster by lab errors and delays. Benifits are awful. The company is owned by BCBS and you still pay over 130.00 a month for health insurance. And forget vacation. There are only about 4 months out of the year that you can take vacation, everything else is blackedout. It's an all boys club too. Not to many women in upper management

Advice to Senior Managementget out of your office.Stop micro managing. District managers should come to storesand stop sending 10-20 faxes about how everyone sucks at their job. Do you sell eyeglasses or cleaning kits?

Worked for Eye Care Centers of America? Contribute to the Community!