Eye Center Of Northern Colorado

2.9

Matthew Robinson

Very good and strange

I have been working at Eye Center Of Northern Colorado

Pros

Patients, Doctors are great. Nice coworkers.

Cons

Pay better, don't schedule so many patients they don't feel cared for, can't find parking, etc.

Previous employee

I worked at Eye Center Of Northern Colorado

Pros

I truly enjoyed working at ECNC for about four years. During this time, I would like to think that I gained a great deal of ophthalmic experience. If I had not moved out of the area, I would still work here. Additionally, I had the opportunity to work with some of the best surgeons/physicians and technicians in Colorado. This office is very large and therefore they were able to provide the most up to date technology available for patients. Also, the individuals who are complaining about the management or being treated unfairly would most likely complain regardless of the circumstances. This office is by far the best ophthalmology practice in Northern Colorado!

Cons

Ophthalmic technician pay at this office is considerably lower than the rest of Colorado. However, I think the entire area does not offer competitive pay compared to the rest of Colorado. Many employees that I worked with, including myself, often struggled to make ends meet. This was especially challenging for single parents.

Low pay

I worked at Eye Center Of Northern Colorado

Pros

Very nice docs and great facility.

Cons

I worked at ECNC for 2+ years, unfortunately after finding out the avg pay of other COAs and COTs in Colorado it was time for me to go. Pay is just way too low! There are people there that have been working as COTs for 20+ years only making 22ish an hour ( they told me ) and other uncertified techs working for 12 an hour! I will tell you that our uncertified techs start at 18-24 an hour, not only that but we get HUGE bonuses at Christmas! We all work extremely hard and the docs keep us there because we know what we think one step ahead of our docs.
    Each day is positive here, it's
    actually a fun place to work, no micro-managing and super laid back. We all know the common goal and just do it and have fun with it. I felt at ECNC they tried to micro-manage everything. I feel sorry for the techs who have been there for so long.

Spend money to make money. Take care of your staff just a little bit more. They deserve more than just a "really expensive" Christmas party, but deserve a fun work environment, a little more freedom (as long as they get the job done) and lastly they deserve higher pay, Colorado housing and everything else is only going up... Come on guys be fair!

Extremely rewarding employment opportunity!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Eye Center Of Northern Colorado full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I started with the company in an entry level position. I was given a lot of support by my manager. I learned so much from her. Not only about the tasks I was responsible for completing, but also work ethic and compassion for patients. She is the type of manager that will jump in the trenches with her staff to get things done. I have moved up within the company due to my work ethic and learning opportunities that I have taken advantage of. I have been very lucky to work in a place that management notices effort and is eager to support it. The company offers so many growth opportunities to staff that are willing to put in the effort to learn more and who bring their "A" game to work every day. I am amazed on a daily basis by my co-workers. Almost every one here works so hard and I thoroughly enjoy watching how well they interact with the patients. I also want to say that I have very high expectations of those that supervise me. Those that run this company (the Administrator and Physicians) are so fair and ethical. I am always treated with respect and I know that I can bring any issue to them and they will help me work it through.

Cons

The practice has grown so much that we do not have the space to accomplish everything we are trying to accomplish. Rumor has it that we are going to add another clinic to support our growth. That will be wonderful for the staff and patients. We may even be able to solve some of the parking issues that way.

Continue to support your staff with encouragement and mentoring. Continue to jump in and help them when you see they need some extra help during the day. Staff will appreciate the help and respect your efforts. Always remember that staff is looking to you to lead by example.

Don't go there!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Eye Center Of Northern Colorado full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Really? The best people left, leaving the ones that are easily directed with a little experience.
    Some exceptions.

Cons

Poor, very poor management! authoritarism is the rule.

That's funny! What management?

Jun 11, 2014Practice Administrator

Thank you for your opinion, however, I can't help but disagree. The best people have certainly not left the Eye Center. We take great pride in the quality and longevity of our staff. There are ... More

Very Hostile Work Environment

I worked at Eye Center Of Northern Colorado full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the people who work there are nice and do care.

Cons

Managed very poorly. High turnover rate. They are all about the mighty dollar. They do not care to keep good employees. Everyone is replaceable.

Get a clue. How many good employees have to leave before you realize something is wrong? Stop thinking you are perfect and that everything is great there.

Jan 27, 2014Practice Administrator

If you were more familiar with the management team, you would know that we certainly do not think we are perfect. We do, however, take pride in the Eye Center and care about listening to ... More

This place is a complete Mess....Negative...........

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Eye Center Of Northern Colorado full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Not many. If you enjoy working with patients. Some of the doctors are really nice and they care. Hours are not to bad. Sometimes you have to stay late, but that's ok. A few loyal people.

Cons

Push to get as many patients in and out. People not qualified to do the work. They always have ads for work because people dont stay. Turn over is bad. Co-workers are lazy, rude, and think they are better than you. Most dont know what they are doing. Stand around all day. No team support. No one wants to bust a grape at this place. The ones that have stayed are friends with upper management...which is also a JOKE. I can name names but wont. Everyone backstabs. I can compare it to grade school. Also, if you are attractive...they will run you out. The attitudes of people at this place is so childish. I saw alot of things going on that should not have. I went to....wont say the name....and he did nothing. They say you can move around after one year...but they wouldnt let me...They said we need you to stay where you are at. 6 months later they still did nothing.Some people did nothing all day. So be careful of this place. There is a reason why the turn over is so high...No parking. Have to walk from school or park. In ice and cold it was dangerous. They didnt tell me this until my first day...parking buddy. LOL. I really cant find anything good to say about this place...made a few friends..who also left. Love working with patients. Thats all.

Get rid of lazy people, and reward the ones who work. Have classes on TEAM work and cross train people. Don't favor certain people because they buy you lunch or bring you in a starbucks. I mean Really? The worst place I have ever worked. You can say what you want but.. I worked hard at this place while others stood around eating. Why are people leaving???????? I know why. Management is a JOKE. I can list about 12 people who are at this place and still will be in years to come because they hang out with certain people. Sweep the floor and get some good people in this place. Its a hostile, negative place. Its all about gossip, food, and who is better than who.

Jan 21, 2014Practice Administrator

The first thing I'll say is that any employee can take any issues to either their supervisor, HR, the administrator or a doctor. Departing employees can complete an exit interview. Anonymously ... More

Possibly the worst place I have ever worked

I have been working at Eye Center Of Northern Colorado full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most of the doctors are nice.

Cons

The biggest downside to the Eye Center is management. This place is managed very poorly. Most of the managers have a high school education and should not be managers. It is a VERY hostile work environment. Favoritism is shown to certain employees while others have to follow the rules. Pay is not great. Pay is suppose to be based upon experience and how long you have been with the company but brand new employees with no experience are making more than those of us who have been there a number of years. The doctors need to wake up and see that their clinic is falling apart and do something about it. They just sit by while these "managers" make all the decisions and they are losing valuable employees. Very sad.

Start treating people fairly. There is too much nepotism. Just because you personally may not like someone doesn't make them a bad employee. Wake up and see what you are doing to this company and why 11 people quit within a couple weeks.

Nov 15, 2013Practice Administrator

It is unfortunate that you feel this way about your employer. However, a posting on this web site does nothing to address any of your specific issues. Qualifications for management positions ... More

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Department Manager in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Eye Center Of Northern Colorado full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Caring, ethical and compassionate doctors. Excellent surgery center with amazing nurses. Pay is reasonable and benefits are excellent. Employees are top-notch. I have worked for several medical offices in my career and this is by far the best. I would recommend it to anyone, both patients and employees.

Cons

We have outgrown our current main location. Parking is a problem for patients quite frequently.

Be quicker to act on issues and employee concerns.

Managed by uneducated inexperienced people that do not know what they are doing.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Fort Collins, CO

Pros

If you have a true emergency related to the eye the doctors are capable of good work.

Cons

The doctors turn a blind eye to just how badly managed this place is. The managers are high school educated and not the top of the class. Prior managers were all college educated or higher, the current practice manager thinks that "World Class" health care can be given by managers that have never been mangers before and barely made the GED passing mark. If you look at the other reviews you will see that there is a lot of employee drama here in regards to work environment and with management. The positive reviews you see here were written by the practice manager to make the eye center look like it is not such a bad place to work. I am a current employee and have been here for 7 years and I have seen enough to convince me that I need to leave and work for a company that really cares about patients and employees.

The doctors need to wake up and take control of how their business is being managed and not just come to clinic do the doctor thing and go home. It seems as long as they get paid they don't care how bad a place this is to work in.