Eyemart Express

2.3

CEO

I love Eyemart!

I have been working at Eyemart Express

Pros

Love what I do! The store I work for is high volume and it can get extremely busy and chaotic quickly. The manager is caring and will work with you on your schedule and pushes you to do the best you can. Eyemart will reward you with gift cards and paid vacation for exceptional work and it is extremely easy to make commission.

Cons

Been working now for about a year and half and am one of the top sales people and have still not received a raise. Price changes happen very often so constant change in learning how to price customers.

Stop changing the system and prices so often. It makes it difficult on employees. If an employee has worked for you for an extended amount of time and has proved to be a good worker make an effort to give them a raise and show them appreciation.

Company claims to value employees, but absolutely does not.

Former Employee - Optician
    Former Employee - Optician

I worked at Eyemart Express full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I liked my co-workers and had a friendly manager (although I believe that I may have been a "favorite"). The doctors that I worked with were very cool as well. That made this place tolerable-I definitely wouldn't have stayed as long as I did without that. We were a good team and could vent to each other. Sometimes I had nice customers that were really fun to work with (obviously, the best ones were super nice people who didn't mind investing in a higher quality product and had a sense of humor). I did gain a lot of skills that will transfer well into other non-retail jobs.

Cons

You have to learn a LOT in a very short amount of time. For all the knowledge you're expected to have, and the insane stress level that comes with the job, you are not paid nearly enough. Expect to deal with a lot of customers who range from a little dense to downright mean and hostile. You will be yelled at because the "value" frames advertised on TV are ugly and cheap. You will spend a great deal of time helping people buy said ugly, cheap frames and not see a dime of those sales due to the odd and stingy incentive system. You will deal with exasperating people who hate everything you hand them to try on, finally make a decision, and then return to restyle their frames two days later. You will encounter people who whip out their insurance cards at checkout like they are coupons. You will have people who yell at you because they were too irresponsible to fill their prescriptions before the expiration date. You will be expected to keep the store open past closing time if someone wandered in at the last minute and "just wanted to look around". Those are just a few of the things that will slowly chip away at your sanity and make you feel like punching people. Plus, the company does not value its employees. Upper management doesn't like it when people work there for too long-they like high turnover so they don't have to give people raises. They also would prefer to cut back on payroll instead of having their stores adequately staffed, increasing the stress level on employees.

Stop spending money on your ridiculous contests and other unnecessary things. Either raise the base wage for employees or offer commission instead of crappy incentives (I sold about $1.5 million total in product during the time I worked there. The total incentives I got for this? Less than $15,000)-you'll get less customer service complaints if your employees actually feel recognized for their work and fairly compensated. Overhaul your advertising so that associates don't have to deal with irate customers who "want the glasses [they] saw on the TV" and scream about false advertising. Make sure that special orders from the Home Office lab are PERFECT before they are shipped out to avoid staff being thrown under the bus at a store two thousand miles away. Don't forget what it's like to spend all day, every day on the sales floor and how awful it can be.

Fun work. Two-faced peers.

I worked at Eyemart Express

Pros

Did freelance writing for Eyemart for about 1 year. The projects were fun and challenging to find fresh ways to describe eyeglass frames. They also gave me a good discount on eyeglasses.

Cons

People were two-faced, disloyal. Peers tattled for minor infractions when they committed worse ones. Should have known something was up when 2 people left the dept. my 1st week there. After 1 year, thought we had a good working relationship. Wrong! They dropped me with no feedback or explanation.

Quit treating people like something disposable! You're burning bridges like crazy.

Do not waste your time working at Eyemart Express aka Vision 4 Less

I worked at Eyemart Express

Pros

Nice normal schedule. Holidays off. Good coworkers. Commission on top of base pay for the hours you work. Decent benefits

Cons

Management sucked unless you were the favorite. Supposed to be full time hours but many times you don't get over 25 hours a week. Training is terrible unless your a really quick learner and can learn everything in two and a half days. Will not pay you sick pay that you earned even though you brought a doctors excuse. Pay is just barely over minimum wage.

If you want to keep employees you need management that doesn't pick and choose favorites. You also need managers that won't tell you one thing and then complain and yell at you for doing it the way they told you to.

DONT WORK HERE UNLESS YOU LIKE TO BE LIED TO!!!

Current Employee - Store General Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Store General Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Eyemart Express full-time (more than an year)

Pros

none whatsoever and I mean that sincerely.

Cons

To many to name. Dishonest, unloyal, work you like a dog upper management. They lay you off to shave a few measley bucks. Very unrealistic production goals.
    Clients are the WORST in the business. The lens of choice the "Hoya" lens is defective causing many returns. The work atmosphere is one of "being let go any day for any reason" very aggressive upper management.

Go to Church and confess before God that you are unkind and greedy and that you grind the faces of the poor folk who make your 6 figure paycheck possible! These guys are corporate assassins. Dont trust their smiles they dont give a crap about you!

Horrible culture.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Eyemart Express full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The experience I gained while there was the only pro

Cons

Management is narrow minded, cut throat. High turnover. Does not value loyal employees.

Leave. Hopefully Dr. Barnes would then get all new upper management.

learned something new that's about it..

I worked at Eyemart Express

Pros

learning new things, making lenses was a cool process.

Cons

pay, no advancement, it was like being in high school.

pay your employees better, and provide better benefits. if an employee shows initiative to do the job well, is reliable, and willing to grow with the company, stop filling them with empty promises and give the right leadership and opportunity to grow and advance. also, it was like being in high school again, everyone talks about everyone and if the boss likes you you can pretty much get away with anything. if he/she doesn't they treat you like garbage.

Under paid, over worked.

Former Employee - Optician in Champaign, IL
    Former Employee - Optician in Champaign, IL

I worked at Eyemart Express full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The interview process was simple and quick. The manager, at that time, was wonderful and experienced.

Cons

Management constantly changes. If they had a good manager that was experienced upper management would replace with someone who had zero management or optical experience.

Upper management needs to find, pay and keep an experienced manager.

Upper management needs to read these reviews

I have been working at Eyemart Express

Pros

Low pressure sales, some autonomy, stable company

Cons

No performance evaluations for management. No raise for years. Marketing strategy is to appeal to the poor and many of them don't have any manners or teeth. Agree with other post that Upper Mgmt. encourages turnover instead of increases. Not enough staff in stores to take care of customers correctly. Poor communication between upper mgmt. and store level mgmt. Long hours. Little support. All about the numbers, not the people. Mgmt. is basically babysitting the store. Little more than a lab or retail associate working on salary so you won't get overtime. And someone to question when sales are down. Don't bother asking for help.

You really need to do some kind of "undercover boss" kind of thing to see what really goes on in your stores. Word goes out every time you are out in someone's market and you don't get a real picture of how things are going. Need to do more surprise visits and really talk to associates. Prize drawings are nice, but they don't make up for low wages paid for stressful work. Ease up on payroll demands. Have enough associates in stores so customers don't have to wait for an hour or more just to get helped.

IF YOU ENJOY BEING MICRO MANAGED THIS IS THE PLACE FOR YOU!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmers Branch, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmers Branch, TX

I have been working at Eyemart Express full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Co Workers are nice They work hard

Cons

Terrible Corporate Culture and Low Morale. You need to check your brain at the door and just do what you are told or you will never last at this company. Managers from the top down are not reliable in their promises and do not value loyal hardworking people THE TURNOVER IS VERY HIGH AT THIS COMPANY. Expect to have more and more work assigned no matter how well you do, until you eventually fail. This is a poorly run company with small minded management

Stop micro managing and throwing people under the bus to save a few dollars short term. You need a more sophisticated Management style. You need to make your company a good place to work where employees are able to share their ideas and feel respected and valued. Saving money is important but cutting costs at the expense of lowering morale is going to cost you money in the long run start looking at the big picture