Eyemart Express Reviews

2.0
CEO

1. Optical Lab Technician

I have been working at Eyemart Express

Pros

Great training and works well with personal schedule. Manuals provided to do off the job training if you wish.

Cons

Require all Final Inspections to be performed by those who have taken the CFI test

Advice to Management

Reward those who take the optional tests

2. Retail Associate

Former Employee - Retail Associate in Tuscaloosa, AL
    Former Employee - Retail Associate in Tuscaloosa, AL

I worked at Eyemart Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good incentives, company has great ideas for the business most times, allows lots of chances for the employees to win prizes to motivate them

Cons

Change in prices too frequently making it harder for the employees to memorize & quote customers, poorly trained staff in some stores

Advice to Management

don't change pricing every couple of months, toughen up the training process, have more experienced and certified managers train instead of whoever is working.

3. Unfortunately could be better.

Current Employee - Lab Tech in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Lab Tech in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Eyemart Express

Pros

Fast pace work environment, so your work day flies by. I take pleasure knowing my finsh product (making a pair of glasses), my final result will be great for someone to see the world around them better.

Cons

Poor pay and long hours. The manager I work for truly is a wonderful person, but unfortunately a disorganized manager. Lack of training skills and dose not know how to delegate her time. Stresses the importance of teamwork but yet displays otherwise. Huge turnover, cannot keep a full staff.

Advice to Management

Communication and respect is really needed in the workplace.

5. Low paying company that wants things done fast.

Former Employee - Lab Tech in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Lab Tech in Austin, TX

I worked at Eyemart Express

Pros

It was close to my house. That's it.

Cons

Long Hours, Little compensation. Lack of employee respect.

Extremely stressful with little rewards

Former Employee - Doctor's Technician
    Former Employee - Doctor's Technician

I worked at Eyemart Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice, flexible store manager who treated you like a human being; most of the coworkers were pleasant enough. Also got a free eye exam and glasses every year and discounts on contacts and glasses. Work schedule was consistent. The two doctors that worked in my location were super awesome to work with, too! I probably learned more from them than from management and training materials combined. Passable medical benefit package for full time employees - not great but better than nothing.

Cons

For the amount of work you do, and the amount of stress you deal with at this job, it doesn't pay enough. You are expected to learn a ridiculous amount of information and skills in very little time, with very little training. What training I did receive was disorganized and sporadic, and I feel like I had a poor grasp of my job until I had been there for about six months. The uniform is terrible and demeaning; and the fact that management can wear whatever they want while we had to look ridiculous in lab coats and white button downs that got dirty very easily (which resulted in most of us looking unwashed and unprofessional), created a weird disconnect and power play that I was not okay with. Stores that didn't have the lab coats were forced to wear uniforms that made it look like they worked in fast food - but, I suppose that's fitting, being that Eyemart Express is the Burger King of optical stores. Almost all of the customers were the cheapest of the cheap and very demanding and rude. Our store was frequently understaffed with a ridiculous turnover as people would quit the very minute they found something better - which wasn't difficult as we were paid very little with barely any chance of a raise. Us being understaffed further angered the customers which resulted in us receiving poor reviews. The "incentives" for lab associates were a joke, too; barely $100 per paycheck in contrast to what the retail associates received. Felt as if there was very few opportunities for advancement.

Advice to Management

Stop wasting money on incentives and contests and pay your employees more instead. Quit making your associates paranoid with "'mystery shoppers." Change the uniform or at least make management wear the same thing.

Clumsy and Lack of Integrity

Former Employee - General Manager in Rockford, IL
    Former Employee - General Manager in Rockford, IL

I worked at Eyemart Express

Pros

I loved my co-workers and customers were very patient and forgiving during times when the store was in disarray. I was promised a good salary along with great bonuses....

Cons

When I arrived at my new store, I had been given one week training and dropped into a "war zone". It was obvious that upper management had not been focused on this store in awhile. 90% of the staff had left. The burned out lab manager had stopped working and customers were irate. After 9 months, I had restaffed and got the store back into the top 5 of the region. Very little upper management interactions until the subleased Doctor began harassing myself and staff. After using their "door policy", I was fired with in 3 months. They do not care about disfunction at the store level.

Advice to Management

Listen to your front line managers and retrain your regional managers on harassment and using the open door policy should be a protected, not used as retribution.

Terrible Company

Former Employee - General Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - General Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Eyemart Express

Pros

ER is closed on Sundays

Cons

Coorporate/H.O. employees are animals . One small mistake and they will kick you to the curb. They also get away with sexual harassment and over working employees past their compensation. No reviews for managers , I was told it rarely happens . Which Means No Raises For loyal, Successful managers. I increased sales comp by 2.5% as well as cut refunds and discounts in half the 2 years I managed .

Advice to Management

Your "chemistry" values do not match your actions . Stop promoting integrity , compassion , and kaiser if you don't live it

Does not value honest, loyal employees.

I worked at Eyemart Express full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Free glasses once a year. Most employees in my department were awesome.

Cons

Gave over 10 years of my life to this company. Missed my children growing up and almost lost my wife trying to appease the powers that be. I was loyal and always acted in the company's best interest. After saving the company in excess of $2 million dollars (with no thank you in any way), I was let go. The vague explanation I received was due to "company culture". I did not engage in corporate gossip, spend my days on Facebook or the like, and did not engage in brown-nosing to become the favorite. I can only assume my lack of participation in this "company culture" was the culprit. Stear clear of this company, they will suck the life out of you and then refuse you a funeral.

Advice to Management

None. Spent years trying to advise upper management while it fell on deaf ears.

Company claims to value employees, but absolutely does not.

Former Employee - Optician
    Former Employee - Optician

I worked at Eyemart Express full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I liked my co-workers and had a friendly manager (although I believe that I may have been a "favorite"). The doctors that I worked with were very cool as well. That made this place tolerable-I definitely wouldn't have stayed as long as I did without that. We were a good team and could vent to each other. Sometimes I had nice customers that were really fun to work with (obviously, the best ones were super nice people who didn't mind investing in a higher quality product and had a sense of humor). I did gain a lot of skills that will transfer well into other non-retail jobs.

Cons

You have to learn a LOT in a very short amount of time. For all the knowledge you're expected to have, and the insane stress level that comes with the job, you are not paid nearly enough. Expect to deal with a lot of customers who range from a little dense to downright mean and hostile. You will be yelled at because the "value" frames advertised on TV are ugly and cheap. You will spend a great deal of time helping people buy said ugly, cheap frames and not see a dime of those sales due to the odd and stingy incentive system. You will deal with exasperating people who hate everything you hand them to try on, finally make a decision, and then return to restyle their frames two days later. You will encounter people who whip out their insurance cards at checkout like they are coupons. You will have people who yell at you because they were too irresponsible to fill their prescriptions before the expiration date. You will be expected to keep the store open past closing time if someone wandered in at the last minute and "just wanted to look around". Those are just a few of the things that will slowly chip away at your sanity and make you feel like punching people. Plus, the company does not value its employees. Upper management doesn't like it when people work there for too long-they like high turnover so they don't have to give people raises. They also would prefer to cut back on payroll instead of having their stores adequately staffed, increasing the stress level on employees.

Advice to Management

Stop spending money on your ridiculous contests and other unnecessary things. Either raise the base wage for employees or offer commission instead of crappy incentives (I sold about $1.5 million total in product during the time I worked there. The total incentives I got for this? Less than $15,000)-you'll get less customer service complaints if your employees actually feel recognized for their work and fairly compensated. Overhaul your advertising so that associates don't have to deal with irate customers who "want the glasses [they] saw on the TV" and scream about false advertising. Make sure that special orders from the Home Office lab are PERFECT before they are shipped out to avoid staff being thrown under the bus at a store two thousand miles away. Don't forget what it's like to spend all day, every day on the sales floor and how awful it can be.

11. I love Eyemart!

I have been working at Eyemart Express

Pros

Love what I do! The store I work for is high volume and it can get extremely busy and chaotic quickly. The manager is caring and will work with you on your schedule and pushes you to do the best you can. Eyemart will reward you with gift cards and paid vacation for exceptional work and it is extremely easy to make commission.

Cons

Been working now for about a year and half and am one of the top sales people and have still not received a raise. Price changes happen very often so constant change in learning how to price customers.

Advice to Management

Stop changing the system and prices so often. It makes it difficult on employees. If an employee has worked for you for an extended amount of time and has proved to be a good worker make an effort to give them a raise and show them appreciation.

Eyemart Express Photos