Eze Software Reviews

Updated October 15, 2014
3.5

Eze Software Chief Executive Officer Pete Sinisgalli
Pete Sinisgalli

Pros
  • Great people to work with and the culture is great (in 10 reviews)

• Eze is a fantastic place to start your career (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance could be better, but again, it is a financial industry (in 15 reviews)

• Sometimes you do work really long hours, but management does take notice (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Role, Great Team

Current Employee - Business Consultant
    Current Employee - Business Consultant

I have been working at Eze Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Been at Eze for over two years and came up through the leadership development program. As a consultant, I've begun to realize how the training program really prepared me for the role. Team is great and I've gotten a lot of product and industry knowledge.

Cons

Initially, I didn't understand how the training program was going to help me in the long run. It seemed very technical and Eze product specific at time, but it has paid off.

Keep listening to employees, recent initiatives are great to see.

wonderful learning experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Eze Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Eze Software Group boasts strong, experienced, management and a highly profitable business model. They employ a mix of highly skilled software engineers and young intelligent talent to fill out the the client service roles dealing with extremely demanding fund managers.

Cons

One glaring downside that comes with working at Eze Software Group is that the company is so 'young', age-wise. When your bosses are in their early thirties, it sometimes stifles upward mobility so you may find yourself looking elsewhere after a few years of developing a strong base within the financial services software industry.

More transparency

Good company run by people who care

I have been working at Eze Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is good, advancement is good if you are strong (although after 4-5 years, you may plateau if you are not the best), most management does care (everyone I have met cares although I have heard from others about less than spectacular experiences).

Cons

Work life balance is not the best - it is not a 9-5 job, but they are open about that and doing things to improve work life balance.

As far as the Glassdoor feedback on this website, I know management cares and is looking into this. Every piece of feedback is listened to and looked into.

Awesome Company to work for!

Former Employee - Software Development Manager in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Software Development Manager in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Eze Software full-time

Pros

Latest technology, lots of scope for learning

Cons

Little bit complicated design of the system, bit of a learning curve for newbies

Moving fast and exciting opportunities ahead

I have been working at Eze Software full-time

Pros

I've been at Eze for awhile now across several different groups within the company. There have definitely been some challenging times over the past few years as Eze was under the ConvergEx umbrella for a while but now is part of Eze Software Group.

It's only been a few months since the start of the new company, but already, one can feel the difference. A newly charged passion within the teams and senior management. It's as if Eze is back in its wheelhouse as a software and serivice company moving mountains in the fin tech space. Some very cutting-edge products and initiatives in the works. Communication across the company is becoming much more transparent and there's a real sense of community that's taking hold.

Cons

Deadlines are tight and senior management expects A LOT from managers within the company.

Keep up the passion, but remember to recognize the tremendous effort that everyone puts into their work.

Eze Rocked --- And Beware There Are Two Known "Mad Ex Employees" Repeat Posting Out of Spite!

I worked at Eze Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at Eze for a few years after college and although it was challenging, I loved the place. As did the vast majority of my colleagues. I left only because I went back to school (and, incidentally, I got into a top b-school BECAUSE everyone at Eze from the CEO down SUPPORTED me and helped me get in!). Recently I saw another member of my analyst class and they told me about one of our co-workers who left after not making the grade and who has, since then, posted MULTIPLE ridiculous postings on this site. I'd advise people looking at the negative postings to pay attention to some repeated (despite being unique) phrasology in some of them. Come on --- let's make this site useful for what it is supposed to be useful for. Giving people REAL reviews of the pros and cons of a company!

Pros of Eze --- fantastic people-driven culture. Challenging work and great industry. There is a reason that this place has grown like gangbusters EVERY year since it opened and yet it is still perenially named a Best Place To Work and all that stuff.

Cons

No place is perfect. Eze's challenges are that it is so darn successful at growing and also so darn successful hiring super smart people. It means you always have hungry people chomping at the bit to grow and always have opportunities for them to grow into. But sometimes Eze ends up promoting people almost TOO fast because they open new regions, teams, and things like that. I think that more hands on training for junior managers is needed. But that's not a major knock. Just a suggestion. I think work/life balance can get tough sometimes because of that growth but i know management is always trying new things and rolling out new programs and ideas (part of why this place works...they keep changing and innovating their culture with the times).

Keep up changing and innovating the culture as you get bigger. It works but keep watching it. And definitely try to do more training for junior managers. Lots of brain power. Lots of good people at the SENIOR levels. But you need to make sure those junior managers get coached.

Great to start...not to last

I worked at Eze Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some excellent people there to work with. Great place to learn and get started on a career

Cons

No chance for advancement. Work-life balance is a little off. Formerly a cool startup environment feel has unfortunately transformed into a corporate grind environment.

Not too much to advise I guess...

Great pay, but management needs to open eyes to the expanding business

Current Employee - Business Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Eze Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic pay to consultants
    Good benefits
    Ability to work with major companies

Cons

No room for growth
    Small business mindset while business is growing quickly

Seriously reconsider business plan in particular to the growth of employees.

QA a department defined by fear and negativity

Former Employee - QA Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - QA Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Eze Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, great coworkers, nice facilities

Cons

Some people have written novellas on here with remarkable clarity and depth about the QA position, so I will try not to regurgitate too much.

Interview process: A couple of questions I would ask in the interview process that might illuminate what the job actually is:
    What is the day to day like for this position?
    When I move on to a consultant what skill set of mine will you have developed?
    What portion of the job requires computer science analytical abilities verse business analytical abilities?
    The reality of the position from my experience is that you need about 90% computer science skills and 10% business. So be wary of this if you have business or finance aspirations.
    Culture/Atmosphere:

Have you ever had a boss who says you busted your hump all week why don’t you cut out early today? Great, because you won’t at Eze. The managers following the MD’s lead have created a pseudo investment banking culture where your bottom ranking in the office hierarchy entitles you to subservient treatment. Your primary source of motivation is to avoid the ire of the managers. This sentiment is reinforced by their quarterly firing which typically happens a week or two after a new batch of recruits start because fear is the greatest motivator. There is a saying in QA “If you do something wrong you will know about it in 6 minutes, if you do something right you will know in 6 months”. I believe this culture is a product of all the managers having spent their entire professional careers at Eze allowing the fraternal hierarchy model to perpetuate so that the people who do stay in the company feel they are entitled to be difficult for the next generation ( Think seniors in a frat and freshman pledges)
    My final though on the culture is their obsession with control. Your first week in QA the MD will pull you into a room and give you a speech about image and perception within the company. Basically saying if you aren’t working and acting professional at all times you will not succeed (two weeks later someone is fired so you draw your own conclusions as to what that means). He encourages you to eat at your desk and to walk briskly and with purpose to the bathroom and back. As a result everyone is afraid to leave the office before the accepted departure time of 6 or when Nemo hit this winter we weren’t allowed to leave until an hour after every other department deemed it was in safety’s best interest to leave.

Make the managers go to graduate school or have some external influence

Run Away - The Job Description Might Sound Pretty, But You Will Learn the Truth the Hard Way.

Current Employee - QA Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - QA Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Eze Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Healthcare and other benefits are generous. Free snacks and beer on Fridays are nice perks but don't outweigh the cons.

Cons

You're about to graduate from a top college. Among the most intriguing companies that you see as part of your job search is a financial technologies company that puts you through a "Leadership Development Program" as training for a Business Consultant role in a little over a year. After a long interview process, you're hired. You go in expecting to run financial models, run "regression" on data, and learn how to work with brokers, traders, and portfolio managers. And then you arrive for your first day.

You quickly realize that your expectations are nothing more than an illusion, carefully crafted by Eze's HR team and management. Eze, as much as it likes to behave like one, is not a "finance" company; it's a software company that serves financial institutions. All of the work that you will be doing in the QA division is going to revolve around testing software. What is software testing? Good question. The "regression" that I mentioned earlier involves looking at 200+ page Word documents with pictures that look something like this:

1. Click the icon on the top left side of the window. Make sure that a new window opens.
    2. In the new window, start clicking around quickly near the bottom and ensure that the window doesn't crash. Be sure to do this for a few minutes.

Managers will tell you that regression is training. That's true, but consider that you may spend up to six months going through hundreds of steps like the two above for ten hours per day, five days a week. It is a mind-numbing task that doesn't use a single one of the skills that were tested in your interview, much less your college education. Next, you will be ready to work on verifications. Verifications are, put simply, mini versions of the regression scripts that you have been running. They target a single software defect and require you to "test around" an issue. This involves clicking random buttons that could somehow be tangentially related to the issue described to ensure that the "bug" is no longer present. The remainder of your time in QA will be spent writing regression scripts, writing testing plans, and testing ad hoc issues that have been fixed for clients in the field.

None of the work that you will be doing requires any financial acumen or leadership skills. You are being trained in a highly specialized piece of software with few transferrable skills; you are going to need to do some serious work on your resume if you want to move elsewhere in the financial services industry.

If I haven't convinced you to look elsewhere based solely on the unchallenging nature of the work, I hope that my description of management will sway you.

The managers in the QA division are extremely passive aggressive. They realize that they are middle managers with few opportunities for advancement because of their laziness and ineptitude. This has made them deeply bitter, which poisons the workplace. Walk behind the managers at any given part of the day and you are likely to see them looking at ESPN or doing anything but working. Eze likes to hire people from top schools, and this drives the managers insane because they realize that their employees are likely to be successful and move through the company while they stay put. Because they're the gateway to the rest of the company, they slow down everybody's progress to prevent them from leaving the division.

Here are some examples of the quality of these individuals. One manager was drunk one night and told some of the girls in the division - to their faces - that he had only hired them because they "were hot." Another manager schedules surprise "Sync Ups" with employees where, behind closed doors, he berates them. Nobody is immune to his sync ups. People often leave the building immediately after these meetings because they cannot handle remaining inside. The managers also randomly fire somebody every few months to restore the fear that characterizes life in the QA division.

Everyone in the Leadership Development Program is working towards a goal - becoming a Business Consultant. Best put, consulting has nothing to do with business or finance advice: it's on-site tech support. The phone rings incessantly all day and you provide phone support. If the problem is big enough, you travel across the city to the client's office. You are also responsible for implementations, or going to a client's office from 7pm until 2 or 3 am, or whenever the software has finished installing on a client's machine. You don't really need a college education for that job either. The longer you spend at Eze, the more specialized you become, and the more trapped you are.

By the way, management likes me and has promoted me several times. They have no idea that I feel like I do, nor do they acknowledge that a large portion of the QA division feels similarly.