Eze Software Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
3.6

Eze Software Chief Executive Officer Pete Sinisgalli
Pete Sinisgalli

Pros
  • Great culture - lots of employee led initiatives e (in 9 reviews)

• Eze is a fantastic place to start your career (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance can be better but then again Eze is in the financial services industry (in 14 reviews)

• Sometimes you do work really long hours, but management does take notice (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Eze Rocked --- And Beware There Are Two Known "Mad Ex Employees" Repeat Posting Out of Spite!

I worked at Eze Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked at Eze for a few years after college and although it was challenging, I loved the place. As did the vast majority of my colleagues. I left only because I went back to school (and, incidentally, I got into a top b-school BECAUSE everyone at Eze from the CEO down SUPPORTED me and helped me get in!). Recently I saw another member of my analyst class and they told me about one of our co-workers who left after not making the grade and who has, since then, posted MULTIPLE ridiculous postings on this site. I'd advise people looking at the negative postings to pay attention to some repeated (despite being unique) phrasology in some of them. Come on --- let's make this site useful for what it is supposed to be useful for. Giving people REAL reviews of the pros and cons of a company!

Pros of Eze --- fantastic people-driven culture. Challenging work and great industry. There is a reason that this place has grown like gangbusters EVERY year since it opened and yet it is still perenially named a Best Place To Work and all that stuff.

Cons

No place is perfect. Eze's challenges are that it is so darn successful at growing and also so darn successful hiring super smart people. It means you always have hungry people chomping at the bit to grow and always have opportunities for them to grow into. But sometimes Eze ends up promoting people almost TOO fast because they open new regions, teams, and things like that. I think that more hands on training for junior managers is needed. But that's not a major knock. Just a suggestion. I think work/life balance can get tough sometimes because of that growth but i know management is always trying new things and rolling out new programs and ideas (part of why this place works...they keep changing and innovating their culture with the times).

Keep up changing and innovating the culture as you get bigger. It works but keep watching it. And definitely try to do more training for junior managers. Lots of brain power. Lots of good people at the SENIOR levels. But you need to make sure those junior managers get coached.

Great to start...not to last

I worked at Eze Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some excellent people there to work with. Great place to learn and get started on a career

Cons

No chance for advancement. Work-life balance is a little off. Formerly a cool startup environment feel has unfortunately transformed into a corporate grind environment.

Not too much to advise I guess...

Great pay, but management needs to open eyes to the expanding business

Current Employee - Business Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Eze Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fantastic pay to consultants
    Good benefits
    Ability to work with major companies

Cons

No room for growth
    Small business mindset while business is growing quickly

Seriously reconsider business plan in particular to the growth of employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

QA a department defined by fear and negativity

Former Employee - QA Analyst  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - QA Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Eze Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, great coworkers, nice facilities

Cons

Some people have written novellas on here with remarkable clarity and depth about the QA position, so I will try not to regurgitate too much.

Interview process: A couple of questions I would ask in the interview process that might illuminate what the job actually is:
    What is the day to day like for this position?
    When I move on to a consultant what skill set of mine will you have developed?
    What portion of the job requires computer science analytical abilities verse business analytical abilities?
    The reality of the position from my experience is that you need about 90% computer science skills and 10% business. So be wary of this if you have business or finance aspirations.
    Culture/Atmosphere:

Have you ever had a boss who says you busted your hump all week why don’t you cut out early today? Great, because you won’t at Eze. The managers following the MD’s lead have created a pseudo investment banking culture where your bottom ranking in the office hierarchy entitles you to subservient treatment. Your primary source of motivation is to avoid the ire of the managers. This sentiment is reinforced by their quarterly firing which typically happens a week or two after a new batch of recruits start because fear is the greatest motivator. There is a saying in QA “If you do something wrong you will know about it in 6 minutes, if you do something right you will know in 6 months”. I believe this culture is a product of all the managers having spent their entire professional careers at Eze allowing the fraternal hierarchy model to perpetuate so that the people who do stay in the company feel they are entitled to be difficult for the next generation ( Think seniors in a frat and freshman pledges)
    My final though on the culture is their obsession with control. Your first week in QA the MD will pull you into a room and give you a speech about image and perception within the company. Basically saying if you aren’t working and acting professional at all times you will not succeed (two weeks later someone is fired so you draw your own conclusions as to what that means). He encourages you to eat at your desk and to walk briskly and with purpose to the bathroom and back. As a result everyone is afraid to leave the office before the accepted departure time of 6 or when Nemo hit this winter we weren’t allowed to leave until an hour after every other department deemed it was in safety’s best interest to leave.

Make the managers go to graduate school or have some external influence

Run Away - The Job Description Might Sound Pretty, But You Will Learn the Truth the Hard Way.

Current Employee - QA Analyst  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - QA Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Eze Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

Healthcare and other benefits are generous. Free snacks and beer on Fridays are nice perks but don't outweigh the cons.

Cons

You're about to graduate from a top college. Among the most intriguing companies that you see as part of your job search is a financial technologies company that puts you through a "Leadership Development Program" as training for a Business Consultant role in a little over a year. After a long interview process, you're hired. You go in expecting to run financial models, run "regression" on data, and learn how to work with brokers, traders, and portfolio managers. And then you arrive for your first day.

You quickly realize that your expectations are nothing more than an illusion, carefully crafted by Eze's HR team and management. Eze, as much as it likes to behave like one, is not a "finance" company; it's a software company that serves financial institutions. All of the work that you will be doing in the QA division is going to revolve around testing software. What is software testing? Good question. The "regression" that I mentioned earlier involves looking at 200+ page Word documents with pictures that look something like this:

1. Click the icon on the top left side of the window. Make sure that a new window opens.
    2. In the new window, start clicking around quickly near the bottom and ensure that the window doesn't crash. Be sure to do this for a few minutes.

Managers will tell you that regression is training. That's true, but consider that you may spend up to six months going through hundreds of steps like the two above for ten hours per day, five days a week. It is a mind-numbing task that doesn't use a single one of the skills that were tested in your interview, much less your college education. Next, you will be ready to work on verifications. Verifications are, put simply, mini versions of the regression scripts that you have been running. They target a single software defect and require you to "test around" an issue. This involves clicking random buttons that could somehow be tangentially related to the issue described to ensure that the "bug" is no longer present. The remainder of your time in QA will be spent writing regression scripts, writing testing plans, and testing ad hoc issues that have been fixed for clients in the field.

None of the work that you will be doing requires any financial acumen or leadership skills. You are being trained in a highly specialized piece of software with few transferrable skills; you are going to need to do some serious work on your resume if you want to move elsewhere in the financial services industry.

If I haven't convinced you to look elsewhere based solely on the unchallenging nature of the work, I hope that my description of management will sway you.

The managers in the QA division are extremely passive aggressive. They realize that they are middle managers with few opportunities for advancement because of their laziness and ineptitude. This has made them deeply bitter, which poisons the workplace. Walk behind the managers at any given part of the day and you are likely to see them looking at ESPN or doing anything but working. Eze likes to hire people from top schools, and this drives the managers insane because they realize that their employees are likely to be successful and move through the company while they stay put. Because they're the gateway to the rest of the company, they slow down everybody's progress to prevent them from leaving the division.

Here are some examples of the quality of these individuals. One manager was drunk one night and told some of the girls in the division - to their faces - that he had only hired them because they "were hot." Another manager schedules surprise "Sync Ups" with employees where, behind closed doors, he berates them. Nobody is immune to his sync ups. People often leave the building immediately after these meetings because they cannot handle remaining inside. The managers also randomly fire somebody every few months to restore the fear that characterizes life in the QA division.

Everyone in the Leadership Development Program is working towards a goal - becoming a Business Consultant. Best put, consulting has nothing to do with business or finance advice: it's on-site tech support. The phone rings incessantly all day and you provide phone support. If the problem is big enough, you travel across the city to the client's office. You are also responsible for implementations, or going to a client's office from 7pm until 2 or 3 am, or whenever the software has finished installing on a client's machine. You don't really need a college education for that job either. The longer you spend at Eze, the more specialized you become, and the more trapped you are.

By the way, management likes me and has promoted me several times. They have no idea that I feel like I do, nor do they acknowledge that a large portion of the QA division feels similarly.

Poor Management, Struggling Culture, No Room for Growth - It's not what it used to be....

I worked at Eze Software full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are/were some great people at Eze. They have good intentions and want to improve.

Cons

It is simply not a great place to work anymore. The company has grown quickly and some managers (that were probably great when they were first promoted and their teams were small) struggle to develop the growing teams that they are now managing. There is no room for growth and the leadership program (which is not much of a program at all) prepares you to become a consultant aka technical support specialist. They make a lot of false promises and target the wrong people because they want to culture to remain full of young former college athletes. They should be targeting people that are actually interested in technology and sell that aspect as opposed to promising people that they will end up in these amazing client facing roles if they can just pick up the tech aspect fast enough. There is a ton of pressure placed on employees, a lack of respect and as a result, very high turnover.

Dynamic Company

Current Employee - Manager  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Eze Software full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Eze is a dynamic place with lots of changes. It's tough to get bored there even after years and years of employment there. The people working there are the biggest advantage. Everybody is very friendly.

Cons

The work/life balance can be better but then again Eze is in the financial services industry. If you're looking for a slow-paced work place, this is not the company for you.

Great people... for the most part.

Former Employee - Software Developer
    Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at Eze Software as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Most of the people I worked with were great. Junior developers were fresh out of college/grad school, and they were good fun to work and play (football/darts/foozball) with. A lot of the more senior developers were also chill and great to work with as well. Overall good company culture and camaraderie among the rank-and-file developers.

Decent pay (for an internship).

Cons

Training and dev meetings were often lame, mostly consisting of Skyping in and listening to someone talk about a PowerPoint slideshow.

Management is hit-and-miss. There were some truly awesome managers I worked with, with lots of insight into the company and industry, and I'm going to miss them. But then there are the others...

My manager, in particular, had poor managerial skills, relying on his "all-star" team to do great work for which he took credit. He had a dictatorial management style, requiring members of his team to drop whatever they were doing to attend to whatever task he wanted. He had poor communication skills, and he spent a lot of time rambling or off-topic in meetings. He sometimes made comments that could be construed as offensive, and could neither take nor give constructive criticism well. He tried to micromanage work relationships between his employees, and he expected his employees to work well beyond a 40-hour week.

There was not a good support system to handle the problems I was having with my manager. I wish we'd had a third party (such as an HR representative or another manager) present at the office to help facilitate this matter. Perhaps things would have been resolved better at the Boston HQ.

Take a sharp look at the practices of low-level managers. They might well be driving away good talent with bad management.

A once great company has fallen to pieces

I worked at Eze Software full-time for more than a year

Pros

Eze used to pride itself on tremendous culture, workplace transparency, competitive compensation, and great training. It also revolutionized the industry by producing great products. Employees were promoted based on merit and the company was dynamic. Then, the ConvergEx merger happened. ConvergEx killed the culture in NYC and drained resources from the rest of the company. ConvergEx is now out of the picture (and will likely be out of business pretty soon), but Eze just kept getting worse. The QA program became miserable for incoming employees - a 12-18 month training program became a 2-3 year sweatshop and the stories of managers abusing their analysts were appalling. Consulting became nothing more than glorified tech-support as Eze began producing low-quality products or outright lying to clients saying they could sell products they didn't actually have and passing the buck onto Consultants to have to perpetuate this lie "in the name of protecting the company." I was actually told by my MANAGER to lie to clients and perpetuate the myths that sales sold on them - this was doing "good business." The moment that happened, I lost all respect for this company, and fortunately got out. I am not alone - the turnover here is absolutely outrageous, and management seems oblivious to the fact that the average employee usually lasts about 2 years here and refuse to do anything about it. Why? Because management, at least in consulting, is completely inept, likely because they have no experience working anywhere but Eze and thus have never received proper training on proper management.

Guess I didn't really list too many pros, because there really aren't many. I guess there are free snacks? Also, while the culture is eroding in the Boston HQ, it is still pretty good in some departments.... Also the company holiday party is truly great, and the community service opportunities are inspiring.

Cons

So many. The ceiling is low here because people who entered the company 5-7 years ago, regardless of their ability, have entered cushy mid to upper management positions and sit there like a logjam. Many of the upper management in NYC is downright bad at their jobs and prefer putting up good numbers in terms of implementation time business development to truly serving their clients (thought this was consulting? HA!). Positions are advertised as financial services but really you're either on the tech side (development), operations side (GTS), or "consulting" side which, as others have noted, is really glorified tech support. You are frequently derided by clients because the product has become terribly buggy and they have zero respect for you. Also, the Hedge Fund industry is retracting so the future of this company is not great....

Stop hiring econ/finance/liberal arts people for tech roles and hire TECHNICAL people. Consultants are nothing more than tech support - hire for this. Upper management needs to be purged - many of the manager/directors are inept because they have only known the disorganized Eze method - bring in consultants from true tech juggernauts like IBM, Capgemini, Accenture etc. to clean up the organization and instill true training and best-practice methods, because even upper management is constantly trying to figure it out on the fly because, frankly, they are low quality employees.

Intern/Co-Op

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Eze Software as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great culture! I loved everyone that I worked with. You will work hard and they will give you actual responsibility as an intern, not just the work that others do not want to do! Pay is also fair.

Cons

Fort Point is out of the way for schools in the Boston area

Worked for Eze Software? Contribute to the Community!