F+W Publications

Good freelance work opportunity

Current Employee - Proofreader, Copyeditor  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Proofreader, Copyeditor in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at F+W Publications as a contractor for more than 10 years

Pros

Work from home, manuscripts mailed, good communication with editors

Cons

Pay is very low base don skill level

Match salary to current markets

Great experience

Former Employee - ECommerce Marketing Specialist  in  Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - ECommerce Marketing Specialist in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at F+W Publications full-time for less than a year

Pros

Employees are treated well. There is lot of opportunity to move up or change positions. Many opportunities to learn and grow. Great work life balance. People could work from home occasionally and the work could get done in just 40 hours a week (if you're focused!)

Cons

Would have liked better compensation and benefits. I felt like I was living paycheck to paycheck. Each department felt separated from each other. It would be nice to have more opportunities to meet one another and mingle.

It was a great company to work for! I would work on the compensation and benefits. Keep morale high with more company events and communication between departments.

Lots of great co-workers, not so great management intent on selling the company

I worked at F+W Publications full-time for more than a year

Pros

An overwhelming majority of my former co-workers were just great. They made the job tolerable at a minimum, often making it enjoyable through their sense of humor and fun, intelligence, drive for accomplishment, competency and professionalism.

Cons

The top tier management is not consistently excellent, but there are some exceptional individuals. The executive strategy was at the time driven by objectives tied to selling the company for a nice profit to F+W investors and executives. As others have noted, this is not a long term strategy and whether people will have jobs before, during and after the sale process was not really a concern. Turnover was pretty high, and from what I have seen since my time there that has not changed, possibly gotten worse.

Middle management in my experience was pretty weak. There seemed to be a culture still hanging on to paperwork and bureaucracy which consistently hampered the individual contributors who really knew what they were doing and who were trying to work at something closer to Internet speed than Print speed.

Compensation is not a strong point for non-executive positions. The gap between executive compensation and that of the rest of the company seemed particularly glaring based on my previous employers: I remember one co-worker commenting on a particular executive's fairly extensive collection of BMWs and Porsches while she struggled to maintain and make repairs to her aging car.

The transition from a world of printed, hard copy materials to that of content consumed almost entirely via the web is not an easy one to make. It requires significant changes to culture, processes and very importantly how people work inside an organization, as well as how they are managed, not just to how products are made, marketed and sold.

There isn't much useful advice from my perspective for an executive team intent primarily on making a sale - that strategy drives many of the dynamics that create challenges to creating and maintaining a healthy organization where people want to stay and work hard.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good environment for learning, not great for long-term growth.

Former Employee - Community Marketing Manager
    Former Employee - Community Marketing Manager

I worked at F+W Publications full-time

Pros

Plenty of opportunity to learn about implementation of marketing tactics. Many great people to work with, and many interesting subject matters to review. You'll sometimes get feedback from customers about how your products have helped them accomplish a goal or learn a new skill, and that can be very rewarding.

Cons

Upper management very focused on short term revenue, sometimes to the detriment of the customers and long term business objectives. Sometimes limited opportunity for advancement. High expectations can make it difficult to maintain a good work/life balance.

General eComm Company

I have been working at F+W Publications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good atmosphere working with fun people. Casual. Variety of products.

Cons

Direction is muddled sometimes. Priorities change a lot. Time and resources for projects are sometimes insufficient.

Give clear goals and direction.

Love the work... don't love the pay

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at F+W Publications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to work. Coworkers and managers are extremely friendly and helpful. You get to work on a variety of interesting projects. Flexible work schedule, laid back environment, nice paid holiday schedule and short fridays in the summer.

Cons

Usually under staffed. Some people feel overworked but if you can manage your time well its not an issue and actually is fun to work on things outside your norm. The pay is below average and raises are small. Seems that people either use them as a stepping stone or stay for life.

Pay your good employees more if you want to keep them around.

Great place for professionals just starting out.

Current Employee - Graphic Designer/Art Director  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer/Art Director in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at F+W Publications full-time for more than a year

Pros

F+W has a very friendly environment and helpful (lower) management. It's a great place to meet other creatives and network and there are great social programs and activities to get to know one another. It's a great place for a professional just starting out in his/her career.

Cons

The start out salaries are very small for the expected amount of responsibilities. Raises are always minimal and it doesn't feel like they are based on performance. The benefits are not very good and there is no matching 401K.

Comprehensive exposure to print and digital publishing production

Former Employee - Graphic Design Intern  in  Blue Ash, OH
    Former Employee - Graphic Design Intern in Blue Ash, OH

I worked at F+W Publications as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Ability to work on a variety of projects and learn about various niche hobbies. Casual and friendly work environment. Always around books!

Cons

Limited collaborative environment and lengthy deadlines. Work flow management can be improved.

If you are just starting out in your career, it's a place to get some experience

I have been working at F+W Publications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you are willing to put in a lot of extra time and effort, you will have opportunities to take on new projects and gain experience. As other people leave, you will have opportunities to move to new/different positions. In most cases, the people you'll work with in the trenches are nice. People will help one another when they can.

Cons

Especially if you are a developer or other person with online skills, you need to do your research on places like Glassdoor and Salary.com first. You will find that they do not offer market rate for starting salaries for most positions. Raises after that will only barely keep up with inflation no matter how much extra time and effort you put in. If you are a developer or other technical person know that you will usually be working on cookie cutter sites.

They are chronically understaffed (surprise). Everyone is covering the work of two or more jobs just to pick up the slack.

Not a good benefits package and no 401(k) match. They would apparently rather spend that match money buying other publishing companies.

Setting more realistic goals will lead to fewer panic attacks and layoffs. Nothing wrong with high expectations. But they need to be realistic too.

Invest in your people. And that means more than offering at least middle-market-rate salaries and a 401(k) match. Though that would be a good start.

Typical Soulless Corporation

Current Employee - Editor
    Current Employee - Editor

I have been working at F+W Publications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Salary is pretty good, and I like that I can work from home as a remote employee.

Cons

Management don't really care what we have to tell them. Our input, our talent, and our hard work are not valued. Bonus scheme really is that - just a scheme. There's a lack of communication between management and employees, but no one really seems to care. Typical corporate culture, they look at their employees as expendable. Not worth it for me to make any effort to exceed at this job. Management seems to only care about the short term when it comes to planning. Extremely reactive, not proactive by any means, and creates a highly stressful workplace environment for everyone.

Take your employees seriously. We're the ones who are on the front lines, interacting with the communities and the customers. If you won't listen to your customers, who are you going to listen to?

Worked for F+W Publications? Contribute to the Community!