F+W Publications

Updated Mar 28, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

David B. Nussbaum

Great place for professionals just starting out.

Graphic Designer/Art Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at F+W Publications full-time for more than a year

ProsF+W has a very friendly environment and helpful (lower) management. It's a great place to meet other creatives and network and there are great social programs and activities to get to know one another. It's a great place for a professional just starting out in his/her career.

ConsThe start out salaries are very small for the expected amount of responsibilities. Raises are always minimal and it doesn't feel like they are based on performance. The benefits are not very good and there is no matching 401K.

If you are just starting out in your career, it's a place to get some experience

I have been working at F+W Publications full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf you are willing to put in a lot of extra time and effort, you will have opportunities to take on new projects and gain experience. As other people leave, you will have opportunities to move to new/different positions. In most cases, the people you'll work with in the trenches are nice. People will help one another when they can.

ConsEspecially if you are a developer or other person with online skills, you need to do your research on places like Glassdoor and Salary.com first. You will find that they do not offer market rate for starting salaries for most positions. Raises after that will only barely keep up with inflation no matter how much extra time and effort you put in. If you are a developer or other technical person know that you will usually be working on cookie cutter sites.

They are chronically understaffed (surprise). Everyone is covering the work of two or more jobs just to pick up the slack.

Not a good benefits package and no 401(k) match. They would apparently rather spend that match money buying other publishing companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementSetting more realistic goals will lead to fewer panic attacks and layoffs. Nothing wrong with high expectations. But they need to be realistic too.

Invest in your people. And that means more than offering at least middle-market-rate salaries and a 401(k) match. Though that would be a good start.

Comprehensive exposure to print and digital publishing production

Graphic Design Intern (Former Employee)
Blue Ash, OH

I worked at F+W Publications as an intern for less than a year

ProsAbility to work on a variety of projects and learn about various niche hobbies. Casual and friendly work environment. Always around books!

ConsLimited collaborative environment and lengthy deadlines. Work flow management can be improved.

Typical Soulless Corporation

Editor (Current Employee)

I have been working at F+W Publications full-time for more than a year

ProsSalary is pretty good, and I like that I can work from home as a remote employee.

ConsManagement don't really care what we have to tell them. Our input, our talent, and our hard work are not valued. Bonus scheme really is that - just a scheme. There's a lack of communication between management and employees, but no one really seems to care. Typical corporate culture, they look at their employees as expendable. Not worth it for me to make any effort to exceed at this job. Management seems to only care about the short term when it comes to planning. Extremely reactive, not proactive by any means, and creates a highly stressful workplace environment for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake your employees seriously. We're the ones who are on the front lines, interacting with the communities and the customers. If you won't listen to your customers, who are you going to listen to?

Anonymous Review

Digital Development Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at F+W Publications full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexible work schedule; lots of internal employee activities

Consat times employee welfare is not valued; low pay for level of responsibility of job

Ideal for stay-at-home moms

I have been working at F+W Publications full-time for more than a year

ProsThis company is flexible in terms of working hours and sometimes working from home- that's the only pro I can give it. Can't complain about my compensation and I've never heard complaints about that.

ConsThe management is terrible- completely unsuitable for those positions with no communication with their employees. Most importantly- not action-oriented, but reactive. Culture at the company in general is passive-aggressive and employees don't take responsibility for their jobs and own them. This, though, probably comes from poor management!

Advice to Senior ManagementLike others here say, review your management during performance reviews- conduct a bottoms-up performance review like other companies do. That will tell you so much about what's really going on with employees and divisions.

Most importantly- consider consolidating your offices. Too many offices (or home offices) in spread-out locations across the U.S. make it incredibly difficult to get work done and really negatively affect morale (people unreachable while working while at home, management in a different office than you, different time zones lead to different working hours, and a 75% empty office in NY). Can this even be cost effective??

A Nightmare! They love to play games.

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at F+W Publications full-time for more than a year

ProsInteresting titles and publications. The publications staff take an interest in the titles they work on.

ConsA culture of backstabbing, infighting and constructive discharge. Senior management and HR tend to play games instead of speaking with employees directly. They make working conditions so intolerable, or permit such intolerable conditions to exist, that employees are forced to quit. Overall, F+W is a stepping stone for those looking to go on to do better things.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop playing corporate games, and realize that your employees are your assets. You publish a Salary Report in one of your own magazines. Listen to your own advice pay your talent what they're worth.

Primary focus seems to be on squeezing every dollar out of the business, not on quality.

Loveland, CO

I have been working at F+W Publications full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood opportunities to gain experience with new media.. A place to gain experience and move on.

ConsThey make a lot noise about having employees best-interest at heart, but fail to follow-through with policies to back it up.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little flexibility with regard to schedules and telecommuting costs you nothing, and will gain you a great deal of cache when it come to loyalty and overall employee satisfaction.

A Mixed Bag

I have been working at F+W Publications full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSmart coworkers, interesting work, great opportunity to get your foot in the door in the publishing industry.

ConsThe company is very top-heavy, with too many executives coming up with initiatives but not enough worker bees to execute. Departments are siloed with little communication among various locations and departments. Short-term gains are often chosen over long-term health of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the workers who are executing your ideas. They care deeply about the work and deserve more than lip service.

Harsh place

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at F+W Publications full-time for more than a year

ProsMany employees are helpful, culture seems laid-back at first.

ConsStressful environment; each person is doing 2 or 3 jobs and is on super overload. Little training or support for jobs. A lot of manual work, even with applications, but they are not used effectively. Huge focus on making profits on a daily, weekly basis. Must turn on a dime if profits is not what is expected within a month, within each week.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement seems to know they need to make improvements but it seems to be mostly talk. The focus is making numbers and constantly stretching. A step back to understand and taking action is good.

Worked for F+W Publications? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at F+W Publications reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for F+W Publications CEO David B. Nussbaum. All 29 reviews posted anonymously by F+W Publications employees.