F5 Networks

F5 Networks Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

F5 Networks President, CEO, and Director John McAdam

John McAdam

Pros
  • Good company to work for, great work culture, good work-life balance(in 13 reviews)

• Great benefits and a true feeling that the company values employees and strong talent(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Too much politics between Seattle and San Jose office(in 6 reviews)

• You can tell there are growing pains as the company does transition into that larger point in its lifecycle(in 8 reviews)

People stay here for a reason...

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsInteresting and challenging problems to solve, extremely smart, yet humble co-workers, good compensation and work-life balance. As a developer, I've learned a lot and worked with some of the best and brightest.

ConsInterview process could be improved to be more structured an consistent (speaking only from a developer in PD) -- this would help F5 continue to find the best people and also make it a better experience for interviewees.

Like may multi-office companies, discord between offices sometimes gets out of hand.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile the problems are challenging and interesting, sometimes they are just incremental changes to an already very successful product or model. What are we going to do next to change the world?

Great company, great people

Marketing (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThis is a great company moving in the right direction. Sound technology backed by some of the brightest people in the industry. Casual and friendly attitudes do not reflect upon the company's desire to dominate their market space.

ConsAs any company going from small->medium->large, there are growing pains and political battles to be fought.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the changes as the company continues to grow and expand beyond its origins. Capitalize on the changes in the technology landscape.

Great company!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSmart and caring people, strong company with good prospects
    Beer Friday
    Allowed to take ownership over work quickly

ConsLots of process work
    Need to help interns meet each other

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company culture, innovative products and really smart people

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsOpen environment - transparent feedback from the Executuve team all the way down. Great benefits and a true feeling that the company values employees and strong talent. Products are great and eveyone is passionate about quality/reputation.

ConsQuarterly focus - hard to scale the business when we are only looking at the end of our nose.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on ways to empower leaders to own more with a longer term vision of growth.

Great Company

Network Support Engineer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

Prosfree drinks, onsite parking. great culture

Conssmall company w/ lots of large companies competing

Great Technology

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsVery critical infrastructure that demands very high degree of knowledge

ConsToo complex to understand everything. Need to work on hunches.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work on supporting work life balance.

Right Moment and Right Place

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

Pros-Offers almost all the good perks big companies in the valley offers. Premium-free high quality insurance, well stocked break rooms (all types of snacks, drinks, dairy, fruits, light breakfast, frozen food, etc.), 401k matching, life insurance, in-home doctors (only Seattle), etc.
    -Good compensation
    -Fast growing, high demand products, cutting edge technology.
    -Transparency. Though team dependent, management usually stands together with their employees even up to middle-high management.
    -Smart people-a cliche but true. Almost everyone has either worked at a top company or studied at a top school.
    -Average age is younger than other similar companies. Feels more dynamic and fun to work.

Cons-Growing really fast. Office space is becoming a problem.
    -No transportation incentives (offers only pre-tax purchase)
    -Lack of company events in San Jose office
    -Recent growth started to create the "single-foreign culture" feeling that some other network companies usually have. Diversity is a key in any workplace.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep having an open communication with your employees, one big family feeling is one to keep. Employee morale is very important. Don't get lost with the speed of growth and lose the "startup-midup" feeling, keep a good balance. Don't let the company become a "single culture", keeping the diversity among employees is important. It should not become a company full of friends and relatives.

Long-time employee

ProsGreat Products, great people. Acquisitions continue to revitalize portfolio, a friendly atmosphere where everyone works very hard. Great perks and a gym!

ConsStarting to have some "large company" problems, specifically around departments becoming silos. Sometimes larger strategies do not "trickle down" to individual teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementA specific three year plan, and specifics on each divisions responsibilities would improve performance.

smart people, great culture

Enterprise Network Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsF5 is chock full of very smart people who like to share what they know and have discovered. F5 is good about training employees, and F5 employees are good about using multiple avenues to share their knowledge. F5 is a market leader for its core product and has good offerings in related technologies.

ConsIt is hard to think of a con for F5. Some people grow weary of all the travel they have to do for their jobs, but a lot of jobs require little to no travel. Seattle is really nice, but it is a smaller urban area and far from many of F5's customers and business partners.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Love this company!

Analyst (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsVery collaborative environment. Most every manager, even VP, has an open-door policy regarding any issue that may arise, which leads to good, open dialogue among the leadership team and the individual contributors.

ConsDue to rapid growth there have been several realignment/reorganizations over the last year+, which is a good problem to have but also is disruptive for those of us who have been here a while.

Worked for F5 Networks? Contribute to the Community!