F5 Networks

F5 Networks Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

F5 Networks President, CEO, and Director John McAdam

John McAdam

Pros:
  • "F5 provides great benefits and people generally have good work-life balance"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Great people, good products, good partner landscape, good benefits"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "Middle management does not care about employees"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Growing pains right now impacting the organization can be frustrating and disruptive"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I've been at F5 for 7 years.

Seattle, WA

ProsSmart people all around. These are truly some of the brightest employees in the industry.

ConsSoftware development has a strong not invented here attitude. Sometimes it's hard to bring in new techniques and ideas.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend some more time with your people.

F5 is a great place to work

Seattle, WA

ProsStill has small company feel, good values and it values its employees

ConsF5 Struggles to keep its roots, and be open, flexible and pioneering while continually growing.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on product Stability, bring in a wider range of beta testers for feature review.

Agree with most of the comments already posted

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsAgree with most of the pros listed here:
    - The people at F5 are extremely talented, and fantastic to work with.
    - Small number of layers in the organization. Hard workers everywhere keeping everyone from feeling as though they are the only one rowing
    - F5 really values its engineers
    - Traffic handling code is amongst the most mature and interesting in the business.
    - Lots of latitude to work on what interests you

ConsAgree with most of the cons already listed here:
    - F5 Struggles to keep its roots, and be open, flexible and pioneering while continually growing.
    - Very political upper management. Middle management does not care about employees
    - Salary, if negotiated well at hiring, can be competitive, otherwise you must leave the company and come back if you want to be paid fairly. The guy sitting next to you may be earning 10K more and be half as productive as you.
    - Growing pains right now impacting the organization can be frustrating and disruptive.
    - A lot of office politics in some groups, a lot of complex relationships, brothers, buddy, previous company co-workers.
    - Unrealistic expectations from VPs to come in evenings and weekends to meet unrealistic release goals made my management, only to cut features to make the release date.
    - Headquarter is located at Seattle. If you are working at their San Jose office, you will feel somewhat segregated.
    - Limited openness to new employees: Majority of attrition is from people who have been there less than a year.
    - Our stock is really hard to predict

Advice to Senior ManagementLots of the comments on here are true.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

"Tyranny of the mediocrity"

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompensation: Above market rate plus quarterly bonuses plus RSUs
    Trusted brand within the industry
    Well-run, responsive IT department
    In-demand technology, especially with the growth of rich media, mobile and social

ConsPolitics over productivity
    Flagship product losing global marketshare
    Limited openness to change: Long-timers more invested in keeping cushy bonuses / RSUs then working to set up the company for future success. Promotions based on politics rather than merit or even basic knowledge of the job
    Limited openness to new employees: Majority of attrition is from people who have been there less than a year. Those who stay chose the same path of politics over productivity
    Siloed organization up to the top: Executives more focused on looking good to analysts and "the market" rather than making the hard decisions to set up the company for success
    Current conditions point to a long, slow decline - Microsoft-style

Interesting technologies paired with good teammates

Software Engineer III (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsTraffic handling code is amongst the most mature and interesting in the business.
    Lots of latitude to work on what interests you.
    Smart and hard working dev team, but you're not expected work yourself to the bone.

ConsProject planning is still maturing as the company has been growing a lot recently.
    Some of the internal systems and infrastructure are not supported well enough and can become a hindrance by slowing down constantly.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop acquiring little companies for absurd prices.

A good company to work for

Product Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsGood compensation
    Cutting edge technology
    The company is well recognized in industry

ConsHeadquarter is located at Seattle. If you are working at their San Jose office, you will feel somewhat segregated.

Having a great time!

Product Development (Current Employee)
    Spokane, WA

ProsWorking with lots of great people (amongst which I've made some good friends), always having resources to learn new things, opportunities to move to different positions within the office, no shortage of help if you're in need.

ConsNothing that is especially of concern to me. There can be pushes to complete projects which require work outside normal hours, but if you're dedicated to your work, you'll thrive.

Very satisfied

Software Engineer I (Current Employee)

ProsF5 treats its employees very well

ConsOur stock is really hard to predict

Growing Pains

Network Support Engineer (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

Pros-- our product does a lot that other cannot
    -- good pay and benefits
    -- work with a lot of great people

ConsSupport is difficult
    -- the complexity of the product is making it difficult to support
    -- the quality and stability has been dropping steadily as we are in a perpetual race to meet self imposed releases dates
    -- unrealistic demands are are being put on the front line support that is causing low moral

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement on development side need to balance priorities of developers to fix what has been sold against new features. New features are release in a mad dash to meet release dates but after that there is no ownership. Make sure that what customers have bought work in a way that you would want it to work if you made it for yourself. We have a good name but it will not last if we keep doing as we are doing now.

Great place to work as long as you aren't on a slow selling or failing product

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Lowell, MA

ProsGood compensation, benefits, interesting products to work on, upper management provides good insight on company's direction.

ConsIf you're on a failing product (through no fault of your own), you're going to have a bad time. Layoffs, unnecessary extra hours, and other unpleasant actions going on in your department while other departments celebrate, hire more people, and generally hurt your morale.

Worked for F5 Networks? Contribute to the Community!

F5 Networks Videos

F5 Networks – Why Work for Us?

​​​​Aligning business strategy and the IT infrastructure The IT infrastructure is key to the success of virtually any major business initiative, from quickly integrating a strategic acquisition to bringing products to… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at F5 Networks reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for F5 Networks CEO John McAdam. All 142 reviews posted anonymously by F5 Networks employees.