F5 Networks Reviews

Updated September 11, 2014
4.3

F5 Networks President, CEO, and Director John McAdam
John McAdam

Pros
  • Keeping a good work/life balance is not penalized, even implicitly (in 15 reviews)

• Great benefits and a true feeling that the company values employees and strong talent (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Too much politics between Seattle and San Jose office (in 6 reviews)

• You can tell there are growing pains as the company does transition into that larger point in its lifecycle (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Root-cause analysis -- not business as usual

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time for less than a year

Pros

The culture is great at identifying (really and honestly) what the sticking points are. They discuss setbacks openly and almost welcome them as the inevitable price you pay to build better stuff. It's refreshing to work in a company so motivated to deal with their own issues -- and not have it just be lip-service, as in other places I have worked.

Cons

Continuous improvement is one mainstay of the culture, and productivity is the other. It seems like most employees have to *improve* their jobs and *do* their jobs at the same time. (There is no "steady state.") Because of this dual mandate, the work day is just packed -- there's little down-time to soak it all in, to stop and have lunch with coworkers, etc. Once at work, you are at work, period. (It's a good thing that most people like the work that they do.)

Keep up the candor, the self-reflection, and the listening to employees in the trenches. It'll pay dividends.

Good place to work

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits and salary are very good and it's a flexible work environment. Leadership seems genuinely concerned.

Cons

Less collaborative than other places I've worked. Not the friendliest, in general. My first job in the tech sector, so maybe this is the norm?
    Awkward location for a commute and transit benefit isn't very good compared to others in the Seattle area.

Technically challenging and satisfying working environment

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Highly competent people work here, and produce high quality software for excellent hardware.
    A very open-minded engineering organization that allows room for creative processes.
    Very nice benefits.
    For the most part management facilitates engineers.
    The hiring process is geared toward a good fit rather than pure brilliance, but pure brilliance is not shunned by any means.

Cons

The company is transitioning from a small company to a medium size one, and there are some growing pains.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work in a fast growing company

Current Employee - Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time for less than a year

Pros

Casual work environment
    Dedicated people that really care about their product
    Great management

Cons

Fragmented communication and collaboration
    Lack of accountability in some areas

Push a communication platform

Challenging, fun, the company actually helps you achieve your best.

Current Employee - Software Engineer III  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time for less than a year

Pros

F5 bases its success in team work, even with "competitor" companies. That is also reflected in the employee level. I have never had so much confidence on knowing that I can trust my teammates and other experienced people from other teams. You will always get help from others.

F5 does amazing stuff that is "secretly" supporting things that millions of people worldwide use, from mobile carriers to banks, government agencies, etc. You feel the impact, the challenge and that helps you respond with commitment for excellence.

Very competitive salary, great benefits that challenge the huge multi-nationals. Plus again, the culture is something that makes your day worth to be in the office, the atmosphere where everybody understands we are in the same ship and we need to sail it together.

Cons

The company is growing really fast and sometimes you get the feel the company is not ready for it. However it still feels like the start-up company which is learning and available to change in order to improve.

Keep the trust, which makes us respond with commitment. As the company keeps growing, I think management needs to speed up a little bit to keep up acquiring the "big company skills" for team/organizations management. I really love F5 and see myself here many years, I know you will make it possible.

I have fun every day

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

I'm learning every day. People are very willing to help, share knowledge, and work together. My skills are getting better, and there is a clear career path for software engineers that don't want to go into management. Work-life balance is pretty good: managers show by example that time off is not only acceptable but a good thing.

Cons

Sometimes it feels like management is too reactive: what I'm working on can vary quite a bit based on the "fire drill of the day". While I'm happy working on whatever needs to be done, I worry that management doesn't have a good understanding of where we need to go.

"Agile" shouldn't be a synonym for "reactive". Product management and product development should be able to work hand-in-hand to have a clearer vision for the future.

Best company I've worked at so far

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I'm an intern here, but I can say its a very friendly environment and everyone is really relaxed. F5 promotes you to be social and talk with your co-workers, and provides lots of opportunities to meet people. Downstairs in the PD building is pinball, ping-pong, arcade games etc for if you need a break.

Cons

The work can be a bit stale at times, and lots of people don't know what you actually sell.

Do something like Google where employees can work on personal projects one day per few weeks :)

I feel challenged

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

F5 has a very high level of technical experience required in their work, and embodied in their employees. I love that there is a high technical bar, rather than settling for Good Enough, and that there are so many smart people who work here.

Cons

F5 is a company growing and maturing. That means they are still in search of what they will become when they are bigger, and face some struggles figuring out which new market opportunities are the right bets.

Lots of room to grow and improve

Current Employee - IT Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

I like F5 because I'm valued for what i do well, challenged with things that I've never done before and given the opportunity to do more when I do well. Basically I feel that if you have a drive to improve and you can prove the worth of doing so, you're given the ability to do it. The budget bank is not only open once a year either!

F5 has great benefits. All F5 employees have their health insurance premiums paid for and on top of that we get a great coverage level. I've had many health practitioners tell me how great my health insurance is. Additionally, you can have nurses come to your house after hours! We get a nice 401k and have the opportunity for stock as well. Don't forget a free gym membership with free classes daily and discounted personal training. We have bikes you can be loaned and also have a great waterfront location here in Seattle.

F5 likes to play hard but also work hard though we aren't driving people into the ground like Amazon or Google (at least not in most cases). A lot of people make it to the paid 10yr vacation! Also, each year we have a cruise paid for for those who win quarterly awards.

Cons

There's a lot of improvement to be made in tools & processes internally. It can be overwhelming at times. We continue to grow rapidly and its difficult to do that well in all ways.

We need to be less functionally matrixed and more able to create self-sustaining teams.

Built on its past,but WHAT a past

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits are wonderful! People are (generally) wonderful too. Leadership has a lot of experience. Everyone is very smart. We are definitely the leader in our space.

Cons

Leadership is getting complacent. We're committed to maintaining our past. Engineering buildings are getting old and need renovation. To grow and to continue growing, we need to assume leadership in new spaces and we're not doing that very well at this time.

Figure out how to live in 2020 and start going there - otherwise be left behind. The early 2000s were miraculous and we should be very happy with our performance during that period, but the world is moving on and so should we. Protecting today's big deals at the expense of the future is bad planning.

Worked for F5 Networks? Contribute to the Community!