F5 Networks

Updated January 23, 2015
4.4

F5 Networks President, CEO, and Director John McAdam
John McAdam

Pros
  • Keeping a good work/life balance is not penalized, even implicitly (in 23 reviews)

• Very competitive salary, great benefits that challenge the huge multi-nationals (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Only con I can think of is just the growing pains of scaling from a small to a large company (in 16 reviews)

• San Jose office depends a lot on Seattle (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Best Company/Culture Hands Down

Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in Eugene, OR

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are so many pros to working at F5. I would say that the top of the list is the company culture is one of integrity, and one that values the employee as a human, not as a cog in the machine.
    The Salary and benefits are amazing. I have full family health insurance that is 100% paid by F5. I do not have $ taken out of my check for the premium. Stock grants, ESPP, 401k matching, donation matching, and vacation time are at or above what I consider standard for the Tech industry. Did I mention "Beer Friday"?
    The company is growing, and that means career opportunities are plentiful, F5 is very consciously protecting the company culture even though the company has doubled in size in less than five years. I've been at other companies where rapid growth destroyed the company culture.

Cons

F5 is growing at a rapid pace and some of the backend systems have yet to be upgraded. But hey if the only real pain I have to experience is struggling with an antiquated system to request PTO then I'll deal with it.

Keep it up. 2 Billion here we come....

Excellent company!

Current Employee - Consultant III
    Current Employee - Consultant III

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

F5 treats everyone as an adult and proactively rewards contributors. You can count on working on the cutting edge of any and all technologies in the application delivery space. Compensation is excellent and industry leading.

Cons

The pace of growth can be a challenge if you aren't prepared for it, otherwise it's an opportunity, as always.

Stay the course. Pick someone in-house to succeed McAdam!

Excellent Company to Work for

Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at F5 Networks

Pros

F5's culture is fun, competitive and rewarding to eager and passionate employees. Compensation and benefits are excellent. Industry leading, evolving- cutting edge technologies in the application delivery space keep products top of the game.

Cons

With growth comes change and the necessary support to fulfill this expansion both internally and externally. These growing pains are contributing to bottlenecks in processes, infrastructure and direction woes.

Improve on internal processes as a function of efficiency.

Sensational company to work with a lot of opportunity to grow!

Current Employee - Network Support Engineer in Lowell, MA
    Current Employee - Network Support Engineer in Lowell, MA

I have been working at F5 Networks

Pros

Only been working for a few months but its simply an amazing place to work at. People are immensely helpful as it takes time to learn their product. Co-workers are great and managers give you a sense of direction as to where they want you to be heading. On top of that, having Beer Fridays and occasional free food every other week just tops off the incredible work atmosphere that I love working in. Great compensation package and benefits as well

Cons

I really can't think of any.

Great Place To Work!

Current Employee - Coordinator in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good start up feel, opportunity to grow in various directions! Great people to work with.

Cons

Ive noticed that depending on the manager, it can be somewhat surrounded in office politics. Also, some of the teams are also not adequately supported with enough people-forcing more over time needed to work than imagined, I hope they hire a balanced amount of workers to do the job instead of having the bare minimum.

Great People to Work With

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun perks like Beer Friday and occasional free food. Great opportunies for learning new skills. Good compensation. Great work environment with great coworkers.

Cons

Growth has been rapid and creates more fast-paced and heavy workloads.

Understand how heavy workloads can become and compensate hardworking employees for great effort to maintain great service to customers.

Good place to work

I have been working at F5 Networks

Pros

Good place to work at. Many perks and good environement

Cons

Salary is less and needs more diversity

Good company to work for

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Lowell, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Lowell, MA

I worked at F5 Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and it was improving each year. There were several interesting projects that I worked for.
    Smart people around. Established procedures help to avoid silly mistakes.

Cons

There was a big shift in the development process the old problems mostly disappeared, new problems have not appeared yet at the time when I left company. There were some downsides. but it was mostly localized into certain groups within the company.

Great people. Great technology.

Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer in West Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer in West Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

F5 is THE place to work to build secure, fast, and reliable load balancing and network management. This is where we turn the dirt roads into interstate highways. The best, smartest people work here. Benefits are good. Salaries are at or above the top!

Cons

We're getting to be a larger company, which impacts company culture. That's sad. And now that we are the best, the pressure is on to stay the best and that is challenging. Really going in too many directions at once.

Recommend focusing the vision. Trust that we have the best and stop trying to be all things to all customers. Don't sell the cheap stuff to those who won't be happy with it.

Very hit and miss depending on your team

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at F5 Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is good, on higher end. Decent hardware to work on. Some interesting technical challenges, except if you get buried doing customer support issues. Friday afternoon social event is a nice break.

Cons

Management is very political, and a lot of them are old timers who don't understand the company is much larger than when they started out. Favoritism in upper ranks is palpable and creates a very demoralizing culture for most. You might get lucky and get a good manager, but odds are you will not. Test managers are rarely technical and frustrating to deal with as they often do not understand either the business or the technology, and technical skill among dev managers is very hit and miss. Expect to do a lot of brown nosing to "architects" (few of whom really deserve the title) if you want to get promoted beyond the senior level as a software engineer, and only then if your manager really likes you.

Clean house in management. An exec ranting about the parking lot not being full enough at the end of the day is so 1990s, you need someone who understands that work/life balance is actually in the company's interests and especially that a network company should facilitate remote work.