F5 Networks

Updated September 17, 2014
4.3

F5 Networks President, CEO, and Director John McAdam
John McAdam

Pros
  • Keeping a good work/life balance is not penalized, even implicitly (in 15 reviews)

• Great benefits and a true feeling that the company values employees and strong talent (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Too much politics between Seattle and San Jose office (in 6 reviews)

• You can tell there are growing pains as the company does transition into that larger point in its lifecycle (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Employee benefits, great environment, and down-to-earth leadership team.

Cons

No major cons so far! Although, parking is limited, so that's unfortunate.

Great Employer, but losing site of the big picture

Current Employee - NSE II  in  Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - NSE II in Spokane, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You learn a lot. You gain experience above all other employers can offer. If you can work as a team you can be successful. Benefits are incredible. A great place to work to beef up skills.

Cons

You have high case load and can be extremely stressful if you aren't prepared. This is causing high turnover. PD is constantly adding new features that NSE's struggle to find time to learn. Documentation is behind. Management for NSE's is poor and the Director seems to care less about solving problems then gaining bonus. (like every Director).
    You have to work one holiday a year, You cannot take Personal Sick days with out reprocussions.

Management needs to learn how to work together to keep employees trained and excited about the job. Keep in mind if the Ground Floor is stable, the walls don't crumble as much.

Good compony to work

Former Employee - QA Engineer II  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - QA Engineer II in San Jose, CA

I worked at F5 Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good company to work and get experience, good benefits

Cons

Nothing especially of concern to me.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Root-cause analysis -- not business as usual

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time for less than a year

Pros

The culture is great at identifying (really and honestly) what the sticking points are. They discuss setbacks openly and almost welcome them as the inevitable price you pay to build better stuff. It's refreshing to work in a company so motivated to deal with their own issues -- and not have it just be lip-service, as in other places I have worked.

Cons

Continuous improvement is one mainstay of the culture, and productivity is the other. It seems like most employees have to *improve* their jobs and *do* their jobs at the same time. (There is no "steady state.") Because of this dual mandate, the work day is just packed -- there's little down-time to soak it all in, to stop and have lunch with coworkers, etc. Once at work, you are at work, period. (It's a good thing that most people like the work that they do.)

Keep up the candor, the self-reflection, and the listening to employees in the trenches. It'll pay dividends.

Good place to work

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits and salary are very good and it's a flexible work environment. Leadership seems genuinely concerned.

Cons

Less collaborative than other places I've worked. Not the friendliest, in general. My first job in the tech sector, so maybe this is the norm?
    Awkward location for a commute and transit benefit isn't very good compared to others in the Seattle area.

Technically challenging and satisfying working environment

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Highly competent people work here, and produce high quality software for excellent hardware.
    A very open-minded engineering organization that allows room for creative processes.
    Very nice benefits.
    For the most part management facilitates engineers.
    The hiring process is geared toward a good fit rather than pure brilliance, but pure brilliance is not shunned by any means.

Cons

The company is transitioning from a small company to a medium size one, and there are some growing pains.

Great place to work in a fast growing company

Current Employee - Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time for less than a year

Pros

Casual work environment
    Dedicated people that really care about their product
    Great management

Cons

Fragmented communication and collaboration
    Lack of accountability in some areas

Push a communication platform

Challenging, fun, the company actually helps you achieve your best.

Current Employee - Software Engineer III  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time for less than a year

Pros

F5 bases its success in team work, even with "competitor" companies. That is also reflected in the employee level. I have never had so much confidence on knowing that I can trust my teammates and other experienced people from other teams. You will always get help from others.

F5 does amazing stuff that is "secretly" supporting things that millions of people worldwide use, from mobile carriers to banks, government agencies, etc. You feel the impact, the challenge and that helps you respond with commitment for excellence.

Very competitive salary, great benefits that challenge the huge multi-nationals. Plus again, the culture is something that makes your day worth to be in the office, the atmosphere where everybody understands we are in the same ship and we need to sail it together.

Cons

The company is growing really fast and sometimes you get the feel the company is not ready for it. However it still feels like the start-up company which is learning and available to change in order to improve.

Keep the trust, which makes us respond with commitment. As the company keeps growing, I think management needs to speed up a little bit to keep up acquiring the "big company skills" for team/organizations management. I really love F5 and see myself here many years, I know you will make it possible.

I have fun every day

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time for more than a year

Pros

I'm learning every day. People are very willing to help, share knowledge, and work together. My skills are getting better, and there is a clear career path for software engineers that don't want to go into management. Work-life balance is pretty good: managers show by example that time off is not only acceptable but a good thing.

Cons

Sometimes it feels like management is too reactive: what I'm working on can vary quite a bit based on the "fire drill of the day". While I'm happy working on whatever needs to be done, I worry that management doesn't have a good understanding of where we need to go.

"Agile" shouldn't be a synonym for "reactive". Product management and product development should be able to work hand-in-hand to have a clearer vision for the future.

Best company I've worked at so far

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I'm an intern here, but I can say its a very friendly environment and everyone is really relaxed. F5 promotes you to be social and talk with your co-workers, and provides lots of opportunities to meet people. Downstairs in the PD building is pinball, ping-pong, arcade games etc for if you need a break.

Cons

The work can be a bit stale at times, and lots of people don't know what you actually sell.

Do something like Google where employees can work on personal projects one day per few weeks :)

Worked for F5 Networks? Contribute to the Community!