F5 Networks

Updated December 22, 2014
4.4

F5 Networks President, CEO, and Director John McAdam
John McAdam

Pros
  • Keeping a good work/life balance is not penalized, even implicitly (in 23 reviews)

• Very competitive salary, great benefits that challenge the huge multi-nationals (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Only con I can think of is just the growing pains of scaling from a small to a large company (in 16 reviews)

• San Jose office depends a lot on Seattle (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall Great

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Supports and promotes a good work/life balance
    Pay is good and advancement opportunities are there as long as you dont mind switching teams or focus

Cons

Growing pains are the biggest issues I have seen, and there is some politicking between offices or teams, but Managers try to mitigate or eliminate it when they see it (at least mine do)

Best company I have worked for

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome executive leadership team, market leading technology, competitive pay/perks/benefits, and great work/life balance.

Cons

"Growing pains"

I had doubts about the company last year during a difficult period, but true to their word, executive management got the company back on track.

I feel the company is run quarter by quarter and it would be nice to see longer term plans/goals.

Recruiter Coordinator

Current Employee - Recruiter Coordinator in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Recruiter Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks as a contractor

Pros

-- Very supportive team
    -- High learning curve for scheduling
    -- Love HR fun meetings, great way of learning upcoming changes and be a part of it

Cons

Nothing I can think of

They are awesome and supportive !
    My two cents: since it's a technical company, I advice some in-house technical training at some level to all employees even at non technical positions.

Best company I've worked at so far

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I'm an intern here, but I can say its a very friendly environment and everyone is really relaxed. F5 promotes you to be social and talk with your co-workers, and provides lots of opportunities to meet people. Downstairs in the PD building is pinball, ping-pong, arcade games etc for if you need a break.

Cons

The work can be a bit stale at times, and lots of people don't know what you actually sell.

Do something like Google where employees can work on personal projects one day per few weeks :)

Great partnerships in staffing and recruiting!

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I really like how I have a seat at the table with my hiring teams. We collaborate on recruiting topics and how to leverage our respective networks to search out for the best network engineering talent in the country. The work environment is awesome. Quick access to Elliott Bay Trail for my lunch time runs and did I mention the food trucks that stop nearby? I love food trucks.

Cons

My commute isn't the best. It's lengthy, but F5 provides suitable options that make it easier and affordable (flex-plan, Orca Card, cheap parking, van/carpool options, lockers/shower facility onsite if I ride a bike).

Great So Far

Current Employee - QA Engineer II in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - QA Engineer II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Just started a month ago. I have been very impressed with the onboarding and benefits and general culture I've found at F5.

Cons

Traffic. It's a bit hard to get to during commuter hours from most anywhere outside of downtown.

Great Company, Zero Room for Growth

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at F5 Networks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company, culture, and people.

Cons

Zero room for growth. Majority of management prefer to hire externally rather than grow and develop current employees. High turn over in all departments.

Work on developing and showing value to current employees.

A great work environment where employees are valued, that provides great compensation and benefits.

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Financially successful company with compelling products that solve real customer problems.
    Investment in new product directions/acquisitions that leverages the security capabilities of the existing product.
    Stable work environment, supportive team, with relatively low turnover for the industry.

Cons

Decision-making can be a challenge, as new ideas/approaches are continuously entertained.
    Despite being a global organization, F5 culture is at times very Seattle-centric.

Fantastic place to work and grow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Strong work-life balance and a desire to see growth. The culture here is fantastic and the individuals who work here have a strong desire to see the company progress. We continue to produce high quality solutions surrounded by high quality individuals.

Cons

Weekly commit culture can put unnecessary stress on individuals. Sometimes this pressure on a weekly basis hurts the business and creates excess pressure on certain teams.

Consider reaching out to people and really listen to what's going on. I do not feel that sr. management is connected enough to the people any longer. We are growing and that distance or connection is decreasing.

Best. Job. Ever.

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I could go on forever about the technical chops I've developed due to the never-ending assembly line of new products to learn, but what keeps me excited to be a part of team F5 is the people. From the CEO to the receptionists, everyone has a great attitude and it's a welcome change from earlier environments to work with incredibly smart yet humble and helpful coworkers. Salary/benefits are very competitive.

Cons

Only con I can think of is just the growing pains of scaling from a small to a large company.

Over-communicating as we grow and reorganize is preferable to silence.

F5 Networks Response

Aug 26, 2014Director, Employee Engagement

We have a great team that is for sure! The really good news is that we have just opened up a position for an Internal Communications Manager because we know that open and honest communication is ... More