F5 Networks

Updated December 22, 2014
4.4

F5 Networks President, CEO, and Director John McAdam
John McAdam

Pros
  • Keeping a good work/life balance is not penalized, even implicitly (in 23 reviews)

• Very competitive salary, great benefits that challenge the huge multi-nationals (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Only con I can think of is just the growing pains of scaling from a small to a large company (in 16 reviews)

• San Jose office depends a lot on Seattle (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Products, Excellent Leadership, Wonderful people, Competitive Pay & Benefits. What else you looking for?

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Strong technical portfolio. Working with the best and brightest on leading edge products in a growing, dynamic environment.

Cons

Scaling the company from $1.9 to $3B and beyond comes with growing pains

Great place to work good core values and direction

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I really like the team experience. the flow of data but up and down the chain of command are clear and open. the culture is open and looking for upward mobility. Pay for the area I live in is excellent. all around a great company!

Cons

I don't know if this is actually a con but since we are growing by leaps and bounds finding room for everyone is getting hard, as well as figuring out the growing pains of processes of a company that is growing.

You Rock keep it up!

Good environment, great products, outstanding people.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Relatively stable, competitive pay, great benefits and good people to work with.

Cons

Advancement can be tricky and somewhat political.

More focus on helping create career paths for successful employees.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy the productive and friendly environment at F5. The level of cooperation, both intra- and inter- team, is really outstanding. While the company is growing rapidly, there is still a sense of making an impact as an individual. For many, seeing the results of the work well done helps deriving a great level of satisfaction. The compensation is competitive, the growth opportunities are plenty, the work environment is comfortable (larger working spaces, remote access, etc.) and there is a variaty of nice perks available (depending on the location). No wonder many people stick with the company for very long time.

Cons

Some growth pain does shows up, but that is a good problem to have. The products are large and complex, which may represent a significant challenge for the new employees. The flip side of this is that the company encourages the employees to stay longer; obviously, the management understands the cost of bringing the replacement up to speed...

The benefits and structure of a big company, but with the creative, employee-focused culture of a start-up!

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great working environment, very collaborative and creative culture, lots of opportunity for growth and promotion within the company, both upwards and laterally, strong leadership who are very engaging and involved/reachable by employees, quarterly bonuses, competitive pay, strong focus on employee retention and employee development, many great employee rewards programs (RSUs, paid to bike to work, excellent benefits)

Cons

The new employee on-boarding process could be better. More flexibility for working from home / flexible schedules would be great. Some processes and technology haven't quite caught up with the growth of the company and we seem to just throw another body at it - though it seems there are a lot of initiatives to make improvements. Overall I love everything else about the company and culture!

Keep working on process improvement and cross-functional coordination. And more work/life balance programs would be great (4 day work week, working remotely, onsite inexpensive childcare, etc) - but overall, keep doing what you are doing!

Greate company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good managers and coworkers. Friendly culture within the company that encourages people to work with each other instead of competing against each other. Good product and technology in the ADC product space. Flexible working schedule and reasonable work load suitable for many middle age tech workers. Turn over ratio relatively low among high tech companies.

Cons

Multiple teams across different geographical locations make it harder to management (F5 is still a medium size development house). Different teams working on a single product (BIG/IP) make it harder and harder to manage.

Give more opportunties for inside people to move up the management ladder instead of mostly hiring management from outside.

Progressive

Current Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most valuable thing for me has been the kind of work I do and the people I work with. Have to say that this place is great when it comes to these aspects. People are smart, helpful and open. This is my view of things on the engineering side. There is free flow of knowledge and an open culture.

Compensation matches the industry.

They don't have a cafeteria but the lunch room is filled with snacks. If you plan to work an hour or two late, grabbing a snack keeps you going.

Management has driven the company through interesting phases and have managed to find growth. Although in its history of acquiring companies it may have faltered in one or two, but that is still good. Overall they have grown the company well (both organically and through acquisitions), and that can be seen in its stock price.

Cons

Tough competition. Need to constantly reinvent things.

A lot of decisions are still wait and watch what happens with incremental investments. This gets frustrating since you need clarity and strength from leadership. Needs clear thought leadership from product management. The execution has been great so far but they need to continue doing this to keep themselves relevant.

San Jose office depends a lot on Seattle. It works out but there is inter branch things that delay things sometimes.

Take bigger risks. F5 has survived a lot of competition and come out stronger because the risks it took. You have to be more confident and take bigger risks to increase the addressable market of F5.

I wouldn't work anywhere else

Current Employee - Senior Strategic Architect in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Strategic Architect in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

F5 has a great campus and you work with very bright and talented people. The fact that there are as many 15+ year employees at a 18 year old company is telling in itself. Great challenging and fulfilling work with great compensation and benefits don't hurt either. From the great health benefits, to the employee recognition program, to the Friday happy hours, F5 treats the employees well and it shows.

Cons

There are some growing pains from going from a small to medium/large company but the management is doing a fair job at handling it while maintaining the "small company" culture.

Great company to work for

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employee satisfaction. Salary. Technology and learning opps.

Cons

Slow career growth and promo

A growing company with lots of opportunities

Current Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

strong growth, industry-leading products, fun culture. F5 is right in the center of both today and tomorrow's technology. Tons of super smart people.

Cons

some growing pains. Sometimes explaining what we do in "non-geek" language is a challenge. Not everyone wants to read a 10-page white paper.

quality over quantity