F5 Networks

Updated October 17, 2014
4.4

F5 Networks President, CEO, and Director John McAdam
John McAdam

Pros
  • Keeping a good work/life balance is not penalized, even implicitly (in 24 reviews)

• Very competitive salary, great benefits that challenge the huge multi-nationals (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Only con I can think of is just the growing pains of scaling from a small to a large company (in 16 reviews)

• San Jose office depends a lot on Seattle (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great hi-tech company

Current Employee - Senior Principal Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Lot of cutting edge technologies. Great people.

Cons

Need to grow faster to accomodate all new projects

Great company to work for

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employee satisfaction. Salary. Technology and learning opps.

Cons

Slow career growth and promo

A growing company with lots of opportunities

Current Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

strong growth, industry-leading products, fun culture. F5 is right in the center of both today and tomorrow's technology. Tons of super smart people.

Cons

some growing pains. Sometimes explaining what we do in "non-geek" language is a challenge. Not everyone wants to read a 10-page white paper.

quality over quantity

Exciting place to work on the edge of new technology!

Current Employee - Internal Auditor in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Internal Auditor in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company is growing rapidly, which presents great challenges for people who like taking companies through the maturation process. Compensation is ahead of market and work demand expectations are reasonable. Benefits are great including one high deductible plan with no employee premium payments at all. Beer Friday is a regular event that helps keep that small company feel; everyone knows your name in the game room. And don't forget the views of Elliott Bay from the three headquarters buildings!

Cons

Some people have been here a very long time. Although it demonstrates commitment and great environment, the challenge is that there can be some resistance to change and some people promoted ahead of their leadership abilities.

There is some silo effect in the organization structure. Strong EVP leaders are not always unified in their vision and direction which can cause some inefficiencies.

Very limited ability to work remotely. Company leaders are not flexible on this idea.

Keep focus on the great culture, encourage people to be open to adapting to more mature company process and make sure the leadership is aligned on company priorities. Consider options to ease the stress of commuting by allowing trusted employees to work remotely, even if it is only on occasion.

Working hard to be the leader in our Industry - Great people, views and environment

Current Employee - Recruiter in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

* Comp and Benefits
    * RSU's and Matching 401K
    * Work/Life Balance
    * Challenging and learning
    * Celebrates Independence
    * Great People
    * Learn a lot

Cons

The company is still growing so you tend to wear a lot of hats and the processes and systems in place are heavily administrative. Management is looking in to obtaining new ones but seems like it takes time. The company still acts rather conservatively which helps with it's steady growth but can be frustrating. Work loads fluxuate quite rapidly where sometimes it's managable and other times you feel totally overwhelmed.

Keep sharing the direction we're moving so everyone is on board. Don't let Wall Street or our Partnerships dictate how we do business.Continue to be the vision for where you see our products and services leading the way.

Great products, great people, culture and value system, everyone is empowered to do the right thing.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Phila, PA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong focus on continuous quality improvement and growing the business. Strong teamwork and management support. Management encourages and supports time off to decompress and rejuvenate. Company is growing in virtually every dimension every quarter. Good buy vs. build technology/product/company decisions.

Cons

Escalations of business and personnel affecting issues have taken too long to resolve at great cost to personal work/life balance without compensation for the hardship to the employee.

The Traffix organization integration should have been better planned and executed. PD was left as an island unto themselves without accountability for their product quality or their corporate values until only recently; 30 months after the acquisition.

Great teammates and lot of learning opportunity

I have been working at F5 Networks

Pros

Good place to work, you will get to learn a lot.Good culture and work life balance

Cons

Project planning is still maturing as the company has been growing a lot

Getting used to it.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Have been here for less than a year.
    Good opportunity for personal growth
    perks are like any other tech company out there. Good benefits and comparable to most tech companies.
    Work culture is generally good and people are friendly. You have to avoid some politics or find your way round it to get things done but this is true for most companies I suppose.
    Good work-life balance.

Cons

Poor communication between groups. This is really a problem when dealing with off-shore teams. Painful and monolithic release process. Pay is not great as compared to other companies in the area.
    Quarterly mindset is confusing, there is no clear long term picture of the company.

Spend more time ensuring developing better communication across groups. Spend more time planning releases better.

Define a different performance bonus structure that will actually make employees push harder. The current structure is good enough for people to just accomplish their targets - hardly offers any monetary incentive to surpass their goals.

Excellent Place to Work

Current Employee - Professional Services Engineer
    Current Employee - Professional Services Engineer

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Smart people around. Godd benifit , provide decent Bonus and other perks is also good.

Cons

Overseas Development group need better management.

keep doing good work. better time managemnt

F5 is a great company to work for

Current Employee - Development Manager
    Current Employee - Development Manager

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time

Pros

In 4 years I received 3 promotions, got RSUs, and yearly salary increases. They sent me on an international all expenses paid trip with my family for doing outstanding work. My time is extremely flexible, and they pay me to ride my bike to work instead of driving.

F5 is a company that puts some effort behind their belief that their employees matter, from very flexible about work hours, to pay, to matching 401k contributions, great health coverage, and good salary.

Keeping a good work/life balance is not penalized, even implicitly.

Promotion from within is very common, and working your way up from the starting position is absolutely achievable.

Cons

Because there are a lot of smart people, sometimes it's hard to get cross-organizational change to happen, as everyone has a good reason for their own agenda.

More cross-organizational projects with management buy-off and guidance would make this an even better place to work.

F5 Networks Response

Aug 26, 2014Director, Employee Engagement

We have formed a Director Team with Manny Rivelo as the EVP sponsor. One of the top priorities is to develop opportunities for collaboration across functions. If you have any project ideas, please ... More