F5 Networks

Updated September 17, 2014
4.3

F5 Networks President, CEO, and Director John McAdam
John McAdam

Pros
  • Keeping a good work/life balance is not penalized, even implicitly (in 15 reviews)

• Great benefits and a true feeling that the company values employees and strong talent (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Too much politics between Seattle and San Jose office (in 6 reviews)

• You can tell there are growing pains as the company does transition into that larger point in its lifecycle (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Getting used to it.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time for less than a year

Pros

Have been here for less than a year.
    Good opportunity for personal growth
    perks are like any other tech company out there. Good benefits and comparable to most tech companies.
    Work culture is generally good and people are friendly. You have to avoid some politics or find your way round it to get things done but this is true for most companies I suppose.
    Good work-life balance.

Cons

Poor communication between groups. This is really a problem when dealing with off-shore teams. Painful and monolithic release process. Pay is not great as compared to other companies in the area.
    Quarterly mindset is confusing, there is no clear long term picture of the company.

Spend more time ensuring developing better communication across groups. Spend more time planning releases better.

Define a different performance bonus structure that will actually make employees push harder. The current structure is good enough for people to just accomplish their targets - hardly offers any monetary incentive to surpass their goals.

Great teammates and lot of learning opportunity

I have been working at F5 Networks

Pros

Good place to work, you will get to learn a lot.Good culture and work life balance

Cons

Project planning is still maturing as the company has been growing a lot

Excellent Place to Work

Current Employee - Professional Services Engineer
    Current Employee - Professional Services Engineer

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time for less than a year

Pros

Smart people around. Godd benifit , provide decent Bonus and other perks is also good.

Cons

Overseas Development group need better management.

keep doing good work. better time managemnt

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

F5 is a great company to work for

Current Employee - Development Manager
    Current Employee - Development Manager

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time

Pros

In 4 years I received 3 promotions, got RSUs, and yearly salary increases. They sent me on an international all expenses paid trip with my family for doing outstanding work. My time is extremely flexible, and they pay me to ride my bike to work instead of driving.

F5 is a company that puts some effort behind their belief that their employees matter, from very flexible about work hours, to pay, to matching 401k contributions, great health coverage, and good salary.

Keeping a good work/life balance is not penalized, even implicitly.

Promotion from within is very common, and working your way up from the starting position is absolutely achievable.

Cons

Because there are a lot of smart people, sometimes it's hard to get cross-organizational change to happen, as everyone has a good reason for their own agenda.

More cross-organizational projects with management buy-off and guidance would make this an even better place to work.

F5 Networks Response

Aug 26, 2014Director, Employee Engagement

We have formed a Director Team with Manny Rivelo as the EVP sponsor. One of the top priorities is to develop opportunities for collaboration across functions. If you have any project ideas, please ... More

HR professional

Current Employee - Human Resources Professional  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Professional in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time

Pros

Great product, great people, great culture and a very positive environment. People believe in the company and there is immense satisfaction. Team work, collaboration, innovation and customer focus has been the key vision for the company and every person lives by that.

Being a part of HR it is much easier to sell the opportunity to future prospects if you believe in the company and it feels really great when they experience the same after getting here.

Great benefits, great view, work life balance and working on the cutting edge technology. Our CEO emphasizes to work hard but not to forget to have FUN.

Open door policy, you are allowed to speak your mind.

Cons

Company still operates like a start up. Though it is good in a lot of ways but to be in the game we need to invest in tools and processes so that we are ahead in the game.

More visibility to the employees.

A truly outstanding company to work for.

Current Employee - Web Developer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing group of people to work with. Teammates are cooperative rather than competitive. The business is growing quickly and while it has the normal growing pains leadership is aware and focused on ensuring success.

Cons

Complex and wide range of products can be confusing for new employees. Some teams are under resourced and need to grow talent at mid level management.

Amazing company, amazing work.

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time for less than a year

Pros

This company encourages constant learning in a fast paced environment, and has a great culture and sense of cohesion among employees. The benefits are great, the pay is great, and the work is very interesting and cutting edge. It's the best place I've ever worked!

Cons

Long hours and weekends are sometimes expected to make deadlines, but I was aware of that before working here. The large amounts of PTO and the company parties make up for this. This company's fast growth also means that some resources such as space are becoming severely limited.

Consider expanding satellite offices that are becoming a bit cramped.

Large company really trying to keep small company feel in Product Development

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time for less than a year

Pros

Customer focused culture.
    Care for employees and their 'whole person', not just job performance.
    Not stingy about equipment (Apple or Windows or Linux, your choice)
    Great IT department supporting operations (not over-burdened)
    Use their own gear religiously (and it works great)
    Beer Friday's still exist and appear to be engrained tightly
    No debt.
    Lots of employee centric events.
    Charitable giving is easy and encouraged
    Meaningful work
    Great location in Seattle ... if you like water front views!
    Product Development Boot-camp and other training is available and easy to get to.
    Free refreshments
    Once a year meeting of Principal and above engineering to help align forward motion.

Cons

Right downtown Seattle ... commute issues depending on where you live.
    Getting tight on office space in various locations.

Still have some work to do on refining the development process, but progress is being made.

So far, so great

Current Employee - Software Engineer II  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time for less than a year

Pros

I really enjoy the "big company small feel" you get at working at F5. Even though its a global business with 4,000 employees and growing the day to day can sometimes feel almost like a startup. It's an exciting place to work. Plus there is beer in the break room fridge. I'm a pretty new here so this is a first impression.

Cons

You can tell there are growing pains as the company does transition into that larger point in its lifecycle. Some things around the development process can be confusing and resources can be difficult to find. Overall the company is handling them well but they are there.

Awesome place to work and enjoy life.

Current Employee - Software Engineer III  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great relaxed culture where people are supportive and helpful. People are friendly, knowledgeable, easy to talk to and get help from when needed. This has been the experience with other new hires as well in other groups. I get a mentor and plenty of support from my team and manager. As long as you are productive and able to do your job well the work load is fair and enables you to have a balanced life.

Compensation: salary, benefits and time off is generous and above industry average.

Cons

There doesn't seem to be a clear path to career develop like training etc., but that is pretty much the case everywhere. You need to drive your career no matter where you are.

Enjoy all the employee events from the BBQ, game nights etc. Be nice to have family events.

F5 Networks Response

Aug 26, 2014Director, Employee Engagement

I think you will be excited to see the new 70-20-10 Professional Development Plan that is being launched this fall. It will be a great guide that helps you "invest in yourself" by identifying and ... More

Worked for F5 Networks? Contribute to the Community!