F5 Networks

Updated October 17, 2014
4.4

F5 Networks President, CEO, and Director John McAdam
John McAdam

Pros
  • Keeping a good work/life balance is not penalized, even implicitly (in 24 reviews)

• Very competitive salary, great benefits that challenge the huge multi-nationals (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Only con I can think of is just the growing pains of scaling from a small to a large company (in 16 reviews)

• San Jose office depends a lot on Seattle (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Large company really trying to keep small company feel in Product Development

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Customer focused culture.
    Care for employees and their 'whole person', not just job performance.
    Not stingy about equipment (Apple or Windows or Linux, your choice)
    Great IT department supporting operations (not over-burdened)
    Use their own gear religiously (and it works great)
    Beer Friday's still exist and appear to be engrained tightly
    No debt.
    Lots of employee centric events.
    Charitable giving is easy and encouraged
    Meaningful work
    Great location in Seattle ... if you like water front views!
    Product Development Boot-camp and other training is available and easy to get to.
    Free refreshments
    Once a year meeting of Principal and above engineering to help align forward motion.

Cons

Right downtown Seattle ... commute issues depending on where you live.
    Getting tight on office space in various locations.

Still have some work to do on refining the development process, but progress is being made.

A wonderful company to work for - with tons of perks!

Current Employee - Product Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

F5 Networks is a wonderful place to work. I work within Product Development and the organization is filled with brilliant, driven people that for the most part, love their job. Making a career switch from Oracle to F5 has made my life significantly better. People around the office have a smile on their face and the morale is primarily upbeat. For the most part, the environment is very relaxed and management offers a flexible work schedule and free rein to work, given you work diligently.

Despite the fact that they are moving towards being a larger company, they still have MANY perks that great big companies do not offer (Microsoft/Oracle/HP etc). Last week, F5 put on a large event where you could dunk executives and John Adams in a water tank, win raffle prizes, and order food free of charge (from a catering company & food trucks), drink beer/wine, and listen to a live band in the courtyard (all while supporting Children's Hospital).

When offered a job at F5, I was given an increase in salary, stock options, bonus's, full benefits, and 401K match. They also have a gym with free workout classes, offer parking stipends, beer/wine Fridays, and allow you to take 1-4 hr classes for career development (management, leadership, technology, brownbags etc). In addition, when I was hired, I also got the opportunity to sign up for "Wine with the Executives" in which I got to socialize with John Adams and half of the executives in the company. They also encourage an open door policy with the executives so you have the ability to stop into one of their offices if you'd like to chat. Pretty cool!

I've been here for just under a year now and all I can say is good things about management, the company, and where we're going in the next coming years.

Cons

An area Product Development needs to improve upon is coordination and communication when new companies are acquired by F5 Networks. This can get increasingly difficult when purchasing companies over seas.

Keep up the good work! Although it may get more difficult to keep the feel of a small of company, remember that it is crucial component to keeping the best talent within F5.

F5 Networks Response

Aug 26, 2014Director, Employee Engagement

I'm glad that you enjoyed the executive dunk tank last week which was great fun and also raised a whole lot of money for Children's Hospital. F5 really values their employees and the great benefits ... More

A truly outstanding company to work for.

Current Employee - Web Developer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing group of people to work with. Teammates are cooperative rather than competitive. The business is growing quickly and while it has the normal growing pains leadership is aware and focused on ensuring success.

Cons

Complex and wide range of products can be confusing for new employees. Some teams are under resourced and need to grow talent at mid level management.

HR professional

Current Employee - Human Resources Professional in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Professional in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time

Pros

Great product, great people, great culture and a very positive environment. People believe in the company and there is immense satisfaction. Team work, collaboration, innovation and customer focus has been the key vision for the company and every person lives by that.

Being a part of HR it is much easier to sell the opportunity to future prospects if you believe in the company and it feels really great when they experience the same after getting here.

Great benefits, great view, work life balance and working on the cutting edge technology. Our CEO emphasizes to work hard but not to forget to have FUN.

Open door policy, you are allowed to speak your mind.

Cons

Company still operates like a start up. Though it is good in a lot of ways but to be in the game we need to invest in tools and processes so that we are ahead in the game.

More visibility to the employees.

So far, so great

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I really enjoy the "big company small feel" you get at working at F5. Even though its a global business with 4,000 employees and growing the day to day can sometimes feel almost like a startup. It's an exciting place to work. Plus there is beer in the break room fridge. I'm a pretty new here so this is a first impression.

Cons

You can tell there are growing pains as the company does transition into that larger point in its lifecycle. Some things around the development process can be confusing and resources can be difficult to find. Overall the company is handling them well but they are there.

Awesome place to work and enjoy life.

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great relaxed culture where people are supportive and helpful. People are friendly, knowledgeable, easy to talk to and get help from when needed. This has been the experience with other new hires as well in other groups. I get a mentor and plenty of support from my team and manager. As long as you are productive and able to do your job well the work load is fair and enables you to have a balanced life.

Compensation: salary, benefits and time off is generous and above industry average.

Cons

There doesn't seem to be a clear path to career develop like training etc., but that is pretty much the case everywhere. You need to drive your career no matter where you are.

Enjoy all the employee events from the BBQ, game nights etc. Be nice to have family events.

F5 Networks Response

Aug 26, 2014Director, Employee Engagement

I think you will be excited to see the new 70-20-10 Professional Development Plan that is being launched this fall. It will be a great guide that helps you "invest in yourself" by identifying and ... More

Amazing company, amazing work.

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This company encourages constant learning in a fast paced environment, and has a great culture and sense of cohesion among employees. The benefits are great, the pay is great, and the work is very interesting and cutting edge. It's the best place I've ever worked!

Cons

Long hours and weekends are sometimes expected to make deadlines, but I was aware of that before working here. The large amounts of PTO and the company parties make up for this. This company's fast growth also means that some resources such as space are becoming severely limited.

Consider expanding satellite offices that are becoming a bit cramped.

Amazing first year of employment at F5.

Current Employee - Vice President, Manufacturing in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Vice President, Manufacturing in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company has great products, great vision for where technology and our lives are headed in the long run and how our solutions can help organizations optimize performance and simplify visibility and management of applications and data traffic. The organization has a great can-do attitude and culture of continuous innovation, learning and improvement.
    The Seattle office is in a great location, equipment with quality facilities and equipment needed to do a good job, as well as work in a fun and relaxed work environment.
    The management team has long tenure in the company, they know most people personally and they project an aura of confidence and fun, which makes its mark on the entire organization.

Cons

The company is somewhat rigid on telecommuting and flexible work hour policies. F5 has also developed a comprehensive global footprint in various US states as well as overseas. at times it feels there work processes and communication aren't completely synchronized across those different locations.

Continue to promote cross-functional integration and co-operation. Ensure that we "don't run too fast" and leave people and processes behind.

Good company to work for

I worked at F5 Networks full-time

Pros

Great benefits, if you're in sales, excellent compensation package

Cons

Favoritism exists in some depts. and some middle managers and leads are inexperienced.

Great Place to Work !!!!!!

Current Employee - Project Manager III in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Project Manager III in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Laid back atmosphere. HR and the business keep information at the employees finger tips. Good ideas are always encouraged. I've been here 6 months and management and co worker really strive to get all points of view listened to. Benefits are great. 1st company I worked here in down town Seattle that has made parking hassle free.

Cons

A lot of moving parts. Sometimes that can be a challenge in trying to understand the level of priority or what in fact is driving the business. is it sales? Is it customer satisfaction, is it process improvement? Etc. CEO mgmt could be more visable to its employees and offer more communication. Tid bit siloed but most IT companies are.

Be more visable. Emails, power points are great. But your employees need to see you more and company meetings can be more dual duples vs. single duplex. Overall GREAT PLACE TO WORK AND BUILD YOUR CAREER. PEOPLE STAY HERE. I WILL