F5 Networks

Updated September 30, 2014
4.4

F5 Networks President, CEO, and Director John McAdam
John McAdam

Pros
  • Keeping a good work/life balance is not penalized, even implicitly (in 24 reviews)

• Very competitive salary, great benefits that challenge the huge multi-nationals (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Only con I can think of is just the growing pains of scaling from a small to a large company (in 16 reviews)

• San Jose office depends a lot on Seattle (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

110 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

F5 networks is a great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've been working at F5 networks for about 4 years now as a software developer and conldn't be happier about it.

Cons

There are occasional crunch times but what software job doesn't have crunch times? There are also periods of "feast and famine" in which sometimes there is little work to do, and others where there is tons.

Root-cause analysis -- not business as usual

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The culture is great at identifying (really and honestly) what the sticking points are. They discuss setbacks openly and almost welcome them as the inevitable price you pay to build better stuff. It's refreshing to work in a company so motivated to deal with their own issues -- and not have it just be lip-service, as in other places I have worked.

Cons

Continuous improvement is one mainstay of the culture, and productivity is the other. It seems like most employees have to *improve* their jobs and *do* their jobs at the same time. (There is no "steady state.") Because of this dual mandate, the work day is just packed -- there's little down-time to soak it all in, to stop and have lunch with coworkers, etc. Once at work, you are at work, period. (It's a good thing that most people like the work that they do.)

Keep up the candor, the self-reflection, and the listening to employees in the trenches. It'll pay dividends.

Great Company

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employee benefits, great environment, and down-to-earth leadership team.

Cons

No major cons so far! Although, parking is limited, so that's unfortunate.

Technically challenging and satisfying working environment

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Highly competent people work here, and produce high quality software for excellent hardware.
    A very open-minded engineering organization that allows room for creative processes.
    Very nice benefits.
    For the most part management facilitates engineers.
    The hiring process is geared toward a good fit rather than pure brilliance, but pure brilliance is not shunned by any means.

Cons

The company is transitioning from a small company to a medium size one, and there are some growing pains.

I feel challenged

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

F5 has a very high level of technical experience required in their work, and embodied in their employees. I love that there is a high technical bar, rather than settling for Good Enough, and that there are so many smart people who work here.

Cons

F5 is a company growing and maturing. That means they are still in search of what they will become when they are bigger, and face some struggles figuring out which new market opportunities are the right bets.

Great place to work in a fast growing company

Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Casual work environment
    Dedicated people that really care about their product
    Great management

Cons

Fragmented communication and collaboration
    Lack of accountability in some areas

Push a communication platform

Challenging, fun, the company actually helps you achieve your best.

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

F5 bases its success in team work, even with "competitor" companies. That is also reflected in the employee level. I have never had so much confidence on knowing that I can trust my teammates and other experienced people from other teams. You will always get help from others.

F5 does amazing stuff that is "secretly" supporting things that millions of people worldwide use, from mobile carriers to banks, government agencies, etc. You feel the impact, the challenge and that helps you respond with commitment for excellence.

Very competitive salary, great benefits that challenge the huge multi-nationals. Plus again, the culture is something that makes your day worth to be in the office, the atmosphere where everybody understands we are in the same ship and we need to sail it together.

Cons

The company is growing really fast and sometimes you get the feel the company is not ready for it. However it still feels like the start-up company which is learning and available to change in order to improve.

Keep the trust, which makes us respond with commitment. As the company keeps growing, I think management needs to speed up a little bit to keep up acquiring the "big company skills" for team/organizations management. I really love F5 and see myself here many years, I know you will make it possible.

I have fun every day

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I'm learning every day. People are very willing to help, share knowledge, and work together. My skills are getting better, and there is a clear career path for software engineers that don't want to go into management. Work-life balance is pretty good: managers show by example that time off is not only acceptable but a good thing.

Cons

Sometimes it feels like management is too reactive: what I'm working on can vary quite a bit based on the "fire drill of the day". While I'm happy working on whatever needs to be done, I worry that management doesn't have a good understanding of where we need to go.

"Agile" shouldn't be a synonym for "reactive". Product management and product development should be able to work hand-in-hand to have a clearer vision for the future.

Great Company

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fellow employees hold great expertise on the problems affecting everyone who uses the internet: access to apps and security. I'm always learning here. Company is solid.

Cons

Coming up to speed here can take some time. Need to be able to network with co-workers. Might not be a good place for someone who like to work alone.

Keep going.

Overall Great

I have been working at F5 Networks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Supports and promotes a good work/life balance
    Pay is good and advancement opportunities are there as long as you dont mind switching teams or focus

Cons

Growing pains are the biggest issues I have seen, and there is some politicking between offices or teams, but Managers try to mitigate or eliminate it when they see it (at least mine do)