FAA Reviews

Reset
3.6
FAA Administrator Michael P. Huerta
Michael P. Huerta

Pros
  • The benefits and job security of working for the Government are undeniable (in 15 reviews)

• Air Traffic Control is an amazing job like no other (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Rotating shifts, tough to get time off (in 7 reviews)

• Shift work can take it's toll after 30 (in 7 reviews)

1. Aerospace Engineer

I have been working at FAA

Pros

Quality of life is much better over private industry

Cons

Things move at a snail's pace

Advice to Management

N/A

2. WSU

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairborn, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairborn, OH

I have been working at FAA (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment to to work in.

Cons

Sometimes the surrounding area can be a bit dull

3. Great Company

Current Employee - Management and Program Assistant in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Management and Program Assistant in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at FAA part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good hours, competitive salary, great environment, stellar benefits

Cons

i do not have any and i am very grateful to have the opportunity to work for the FAA

5. Great Place to Work

I have been working at FAA

Pros

People were helpful, easy to talk to and informative

Cons

I have no cons for this.

Advice to Management

Consider hiring and training more younger employees.

6. Oracle Developer

Current Employee - Senior Oracle Developer in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Senior Oracle Developer in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at FAA (More than a year)

Pros

Good Environment to work, Friendly people. Nice place to work

Cons

Work process will be very slow as all people here are more experience they need perfection

It's not for everyone...

I worked at FAA full-time

Pros

It is the best career a person could ever want -- but you have to have the right temperament and aptitude. You'll know pretty quick if you're up for the challenge. If you can deal with the pressures, you will not find a more rewarding and satisfying job anywhere!

Cons

It makes an old man/woman out of you. You work for the federal government which is famous promoting people based on everything but their ability.

8. ATSS review

Current Employee - Airway Transportation Systems Specialist
    Current Employee - Airway Transportation Systems Specialist

I have been working at FAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great benefits, job security, constant training that will stack your resume (i've spent most of my first year in OKC training).

Cons

pay could be a bit better. managers need to screen applicants better...i have more experience in my field and started at the lowest of the low, while people who have never done electronic tech type of work, started significantly higher. Also, I've had friends who told me straight up that they didnt have an interview process or anything; were just given the job due to veterans preference. You'll spend most of your first 3 years traveling back and forth to Oklahoma City for training. if traveling or being away from your family is a con, then that's a con. there's little room for moving up the ladder...theres only 3 pay scales (F-G-H), unless you want to become a coordinator, manager, or instructor in Oklahoma.

Advice to Management

actually screen who you're hiring. dont just try to fill a spot just because someone has a good personality and is a vet; most of us are veterans anyways and I know a ton of veterans who have done this job for years that are still waiting to hear something back.

9. Tombstone Agency

I have been working at FAA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Job Security, Good pay for what you do.

Cons

Total lack of accountability, you can fake your way into the agency without knowing a thing about the Air Traffic Control system. You can sit around and not do a thing without fearing any consequence. If you are looking for a steady paycheck and don't want to care about the job you do, this is it. If you want to better yourself and make something of your life, look for something else.

Advice to Management

Nothing that will get through their head.

Great agency overall but stay away from Flight Standards Division

Former Employee - Aviation Safety Assistant
    Former Employee - Aviation Safety Assistant

I worked at FAA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The colleagues and coworkers are great, and benefits like any other federal agency are almost no match compared to industry. Awards systems works most of the time depending on the office management philosophy. "Job security" is great and once you know what you are supposed to do you can then explore other areas or job functions.

Cons

At least within the Flight Standards Division (FSD) you are "encouraged" to telework, however, depending on management it feels like "pulling teeth" when you request it, either because of management "control freaks" or because even if we have the technology available it is not set up to enable most people to telework. Depending on the size of the office there is potential drama involved. The majority of office managers and front line managers are not "pro-employees" instead they are more "pro-themselves" just because it seems that they can not trust their employees and treat them as adults, even thou over 60% of the employees are GS-13 and GS-14 (earning more than $80k a year). Some of the frontline managers I have no idea how they made it thru the management ranks since some of them absolutely no management or leadership experience neither as civilian or military (i worked with one that wasn't even a "cub scout"), when in contrast the vast majority of the inspectors and other support personal are military veterans including NCOs and officers that have experience leading people in different campaigns. When it comes to career progression, at least the FSD they focus mostly in Aviation Safety Inspectors. Support personnel like admins and managers assistants are basically on their own if they want to move up either by relocating to another geographic area or moving to a region or HQ positions; and it is my impression that this kind of strategy hasn't change in the last 25 years at least. PASS, the union for bargaining unit employees, definitely doesn't do their job when it comes to really give the extra mile for the employee; at least that is my experience with the representative i have worked with for the last 7 years.

Advice to Management

Managers must reevaluate the way office and field managers are selected. Some of them are not even close to be good managers, needless to say to be leaders. Managers should empower employees and not bring them down on a daily basis; otherwise while walking thru the office and peoples desk dont be surprised to see most employees looking opportunities on USAJOBS. (yes... in my last office it was just like that, you can't make this up)

11. Seriously disappointed

Current Employee - Tier II Tech Support in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Tier II Tech Support in Memphis, TN

I have been working at FAA

Pros

Pay and no direct managers in site

Cons

Discrimination amongst contractors, highly mismanagement of money, political environment, no chances for career advancement, have to use your own occrued hours for weather closings, work load has tripled with no warning or justification, etc...

Advice to Management

I am proof, don't get on a contract with the FAA!

RSS Feed </> Embed