FAA Reviews

180 reviews filtered by
3.6
FAA Administrator Michael P. Huerta
Michael P. Huerta

Pros
  • Has great job security, and a ton of great people working for them (in 15 reviews)

• Air Traffic Control is an amazing job like no other (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Rotating shifts, tough to get time off (in 7 reviews)

• Shift work with weekends and holidays (in 7 reviews)

1. Some Management is horrible

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at FAA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

decent pay, some job security, time off and casual work environment. Office Monday is all football talk and no work.

Cons

favoritism, no results, boring tasks, feeling of not accomplishing anything. Pointless meetings, lots of throwing coworkers under the bus when a project doesnt work.

Advice to Management

Try to really get the team leads, section and group managers better with people

2. Psychology Researcher Human Factor Research Division

Current Employee - Human Factors Psychology Research in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Human Factors Psychology Research in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at FAA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Congenial atmosphere, wealth of new ideas,

Cons

Restrictions on budget, cutbacks in personnel, work overload, weak expectations, continuous oversight and extreme
    hierarchical bureaucracy prevents new ideas from coming to fruition, projects are often not seen through to completion.Communication needs complete restructuring.

Advice to Management

Entirely too many layers of management, security of jobs is at the whims of congress, projects are often understaffed, entirely too much reliance on contractors who are not adequately overseen. The FAA is still an old white boys club. Suggest baby boomers get on board or are fast tracked to retirement.

3. AWESOME JOB, the world's worst employer!! Could be so much better. You will eventually regret working for the FAA.

Current Employee - Air Traffic Controller in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Air Traffic Controller in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at FAA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

One of the most challenging jobs you can get, but the personal rewards are all you will ever get. You will never be rewarded for "Doing your job" even if your performance is exemplary. Pay bonuses and time off awards are generally given to management even though they do nothing. You do the work, they get the rewards.

Pay is reasonable, only if you are in the best locations and work the most traffic. Low level towers in high cost of living areas can be challenging. (Aspen, Southern Cali)

23 and 1/2 years on the job and I will leave without a word next year. Sad but true. You get a decent retirement but for 25 years of service you don't get a watch (Even a timex) you get a chance to get out of jail. I am personally counting the days as if it is a prison term.

Cons

Terrible incompetent management (Your former coworker with no formal training) Spot Leave is nonexistent, you have to bid in October of the previous year for the ENTIRE next year if you want a chance for time off. Constant overtime due to staff shortage (But not in management, they have plenty of staffing) Work holidays, midnight shifts and shift work wears you out physically and mentally. Shift changes are constant also, staffing is short and management will NEVER cover for staffing unless they are getting paid OVERTIME to work their one sector that has no traffic in it. Perhaps the most challenging part of the job is the shift work besides dealing with "managers". Federal workers are scapegoats for every political fight lately and have paid severely in frozen wages. Unfortunately before that we had our wages frozen for 3 years and most people are pay capped at the end of their careers. Management got about 15% pay raises while controllers got nothing. A majority of management are at the congressional pay cap. Many controllers are pushing or better put, forcing their own children into this job. I would never want my children to work for the FAA in any capacity.

Advice to Management

Read the other reviews, you see the other managers saying "Good job" or "Keep up the good work" in this box and then read the REAL worker's take on it. Night and Day, just like it is at the real job. Disconnected management and the real people that make things happen have a drastically different view of how things are going. It is partly laughable but maddening at the same time. You will never in 100 years find another job that management is so removed from the operation and does so little to forward the progress of the agency's mission. (Which is to safely and efficiently move air traffic) They have biweekly management meetings where they are ALL gone all day and nobody even notices, other than the place runs more efficiently. 1 Manager "watches over" 3 or 4 people for $190K a year......The management only "works" in the area 1 or 2 days a week and the rest of the "workweek" is spent in the back offices, surfing the web or something other than productive work. Why so bitter? These very same people treated us like dirt a few years back and that is unforgivable, I deserved so much better and so did my coworkers. I watched dozens of career employees leave years before they really wanted to but they felt they had no choice. 25-30 year careers ended without so much as a thank you from management.

I signed up to be a controller and I love what I do. Management is everything I don't want to be. I want to earn my salary and work for my pay, not run from work and do nothing for my pay. How these people live with themselves is beyond me. I call it human nature to get away with what you can and get the most for doing as little as you can. Get a job you can be proud of, working for the FAA will make you feel ashamed that you sold your soul for money. I was too close to retirement to just quit and that is not in my nature, but I was sure close.

5. not honest they maded a movies of us orphans called head of state unathor moviie

Former Employee - Government Contract Secretary in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Government Contract Secretary in Washington, DC

I worked at FAA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

easy scan off gov contracts strrets sale body come in by radio see what going on

Cons

contracts not completed there work

6. Busy, under appreciated, slave labor

Former Contractor - Technical Writer in Renton, WA
    Former Contractor - Technical Writer in Renton, WA

I worked at FAA as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

If you area full time employee, the pay is ridiculously high, and you don't have to work that hard.

Cons

If you're into an old school environment, being treated like a slave, no perks (lousy coffee), poor cafeterias, noisy working conditions, this is your place.

Advice to Management

Treat your contractors as though you depend on them, and that they are important, especially those who don't make your Air Traffic union-extorted, exorbitant salaries! don't treat them like slaves to be seen, but not heard.

7. Painful

Current Employee - Management and Program Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Management and Program Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at FAA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, job security, cool area

Cons

They do not fire terrible employees,

8. My job experience in working in 3 lines of businesses has been repeatedly disappointing and frustrating.

Current Employee - Support Specialist in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Support Specialist in Renton, WA

I have been working at FAA

Pros

I like having the ability to contribute to public safety.
    The job is stable and the benefits are good.
    There are a lot of opportunities to learn about aviation.

Cons

Overall, the management and leadership are abysmal. Employee morale is low. The FAA repeatedly shows up on the bottom of the list of the best government agencies to work for. Micromanagement and incompetence are rampant.

The bureaucracy is stifling. Many departments provide redundant services. It is hard to move around within the agency, and if you are not an engineer or an air traffic controller, it is even harder.

Advice to Management

Learn how to actually manage your departments and provide some vision and leadership. Being a manager is more than telling your subordinates "because I said so."

9. Not the place to come for attorneys who have ambition.

Current Employee - Attorney in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Attorney in Washington, DC

I have been working at FAA

Pros

Great flexibility in your schedule.

Cons

No training, promotions based on favoritism, disparate work assignments.

Advice to Management

You shouldn't be a manager if you are trying to get your name in the Marquis lights. Your job is to train and develop your employees. If you do that well, you are a good manager. If you help your employees work like a team, then you are a great leader. But, if what you are seeking is to make a name for yourself as a great attorney, then go work for a private law firm where you can prove yourself. Otherwise, your victory will be like celebrating art in a dark closet. If you came to government, chances are you are lacking somewhere - don't make others pay for your inability to shine in the real world.

10. Air Traffic Controller

Current Employee - Air Traffic Control Specialist
    Current Employee - Air Traffic Control Specialist

I have been working at FAA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, decent pay, but mostly a challenging and rewarding career.

Cons

The FAA is a huge old school bureaucracy full of nepotism, where no one in upper management is held accountable for anything. So every decision the FAA makes defies logic and goes against common sense. "This makes absolutely no sense but hey, it's the FAA" is a common sentiment shared by all FAA employees.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting your golf buddies and learn some accountability.

11. If you thrive in an atmosphere of bureaucratic inaction, this is the place for you!

Current Employee - Human Resources in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at FAA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Federal benefits and good salaries. A good place to would if your in ATO.

Cons

It's not what you know but whose _ss you kiss.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, they may actually know something.

FAA Photos