FAA

FAA Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

FAA Administrator Michael P. Huerta

Michael P. Huerta

Pros
  • Air Traffic Control is an amazing job like no other (in 8 reviews)

• Job security is decent even with sequester (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Rotating shifts, tough to get time off (in 7 reviews)

• Rotating shift work, poor working conditions, micromanaged from above, adversarial labor/management culture (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Phenomenal!

Aviation Clerk (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsGreat people, great mission and vision; exceptional support from management.

ConsThere really are no cons to working at the FAA.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat office culture; keep it up!

This is a very good place to work.

Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe management is effective, and the culture is supportive.

ConsAdvancement opportunities may be limited, due to stability of the workforce.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

AWESOME JOB, the world's worst employer!! Could be so much better. You will eventually regret working for the FAA.

Air Traffic Controller (Current Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsOne of the most challenging jobs you can get, but the personal rewards are all you will ever get. You will never be rewarded for "Doing your job" even if your performance is exemplary. Pay bonuses and time off awards are generally given to management even though they do nothing. You do the work, they get the rewards.

Pay is reasonable, only if you are in the best locations and work the most traffic. Low level towers in high cost of living areas can be challenging. (Aspen, Southern Cali)

23 and 1/2 years on the job and I will leave without a word next year. Sad but true. You get a decent retirement but for 25 years of service you don't get a watch (Even a timex) you get a chance to get out of jail. I am personally counting the days as if it is a prison term.

ConsTerrible incompetent management (Your former coworker with no formal training) Spot Leave is nonexistent, you have to bid in October of the previous year for the ENTIRE next year if you want a chance for time off. Constant overtime due to staff shortage (But not in management, they have plenty of staffing) Work holidays, midnight shifts and shift work wears you out physically and mentally. Shift changes are constant also, staffing is short and management will NEVER cover for staffing unless they are getting paid OVERTIME to work their one sector that has no traffic in it. Perhaps the most challenging part of the job is the shift work besides dealing with "managers". Federal workers are scapegoats for every political fight lately and have paid severely in frozen wages. Unfortunately before that we had our wages frozen for 3 years and most people are pay capped at the end of their careers. Management got about 15% pay raises while controllers got nothing. A majority of management are at the congressional pay cap. Many controllers are pushing or better put, forcing their own children into this job. I would never want my children to work for the FAA in any capacity.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead the other reviews, you see the other managers saying "Good job" or "Keep up the good work" in this box and then read the REAL worker's take on it. Night and Day, just like it is at the real job. Disconnected management and the real people that make things happen have a drastically different view of how things are going. It is partly laughable but maddening at the same time. You will never in 100 years find another job that management is so removed from the operation and does so little to forward the progress of the agency's mission. (Which is to safely and efficiently move air traffic) They have biweekly management meetings where they are ALL gone all day and nobody even notices, other than the place runs more efficiently. 1 Manager "watches over" 3 or 4 people for $190K a year......The management only "works" in the area 1 or 2 days a week and the rest of the "workweek" is spent in the back offices, surfing the web or something other than productive work. Why so bitter? These very same people treated us like dirt a few years back and that is unforgivable, I deserved so much better and so did my coworkers. I watched dozens of career employees leave years before they really wanted to but they felt they had no choice. 25-30 year careers ended without so much as a thank you from management.

I signed up to be a controller and I love what I do. Management is everything I don't want to be. I want to earn my salary and work for my pay, not run from work and do nothing for my pay. How these people live with themselves is beyond me. I call it human nature to get away with what you can and get the most for doing as little as you can. Get a job you can be proud of, working for the FAA will make you feel ashamed that you sold your soul for money. I was too close to retirement to just quit and that is not in my nature, but I was sure close.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGain experience with certification

ConsNo career progression for high performers

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate culture for high performance

Great Place to work

Air Traffic Controller (Current Employee)

ProsGreat Pay and interesting work.

ConsPolitics can occasionally interfere from DC, poor work shifts

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your employees work, don't micromanage.

air traffic controller

Front Line Manager (Former Employee)

Prosjob security, satisfaction, compensation, advancement

Cons24/7 schedule, sometimes boring, sometimes over stimulating, might be a good thing!

Advice to Senior Managementgood job,

Manage variety of certification programs/projects

Aerospace Engineer (Current Employee) Lakewood, CA

ProsVariety of projects to work on. Very diverse coworkers with lot of professional experience.

ConsLack of telecommuting options. Resistance to work hour options.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake telecommuting mandatory.

Great career but always behind in the game

Aviation Safety Assistant (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsGreat learning experience, stable, great benefits.

Conshowever, the internal processes and political tie ups are a HUGE stopper for innovation and talking about "out-of-the-box thinking". No much career advancement for young adults or college grads.

Civil Engineer

Project Engineer (Current Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsSalary, Schedule, Holidays and Time

ConsPeople here are dumb. Waste a lot of tax payer money.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrim the fat

Beurocracy

Aeronautical Information Specialist (Current Employee) Oklahoma City, OK

ProsStability and pay in addition to work/life balance.

ConsBeurocracy.. lots of red tape. Hard to impact change.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on employee growth.

Worked for FAA? Contribute to the Community!