FAA

Updated December 17, 2014
3.7

FAA Administrator Michael P. Huerta
Michael P. Huerta

Pros
  • Has great job security, and a ton of great people working for them (in 15 reviews)

• Air Traffic Control is an amazing job like no other (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Rotating shifts, tough to get time off (in 7 reviews)

• Shift work with weekends and holidays (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Typical Government work

I have been working at FAA

Pros

Little fear of layoffs....decent pay......ok benefits...not a lot of good reasons.....just a job cant really recommend

Cons

government work.....ridiculous rules, management that loves to micromanage, things dont make any sense, have no real understanding how the real world works

I'm Sure Government work is not for me

Former Employee - Computer Specialist
    Former Employee - Computer Specialist

I worked at FAA

Pros

Good caring and dedicated people
    Casual fridays
    Interesting work when involved with different departments
    40 hours and overtime is rare and must be preapproved.

Cons

Watch your back
    Don't do anything more than expected
    1 year probationary period
    Departments are dependant on annual budgets
    Any overtime or extra work must be preapproved or you will not be paid and may be reprimanded

Plenty of good people who care about what they do. Too much micrmanagement from DC or OK city that should be done locally.

good/bad. depends on a lot of things

Former Employee - Air Traffic Controller Trainee
    Former Employee - Air Traffic Controller Trainee

I worked at FAA

Pros

Great salary, very quickly go from 40K to 80, 90 and eventually 100K+
    relaxed dress code
    challenging work

Cons

possibility of becoming a 'training failure' which 1/2 of my class fell victim to. this is the biggest downside...you could end up wasting a lot of time and money if you fail to make it through the first year of training. The worst part for me was the fact that I heard that due to the amount of failures in my class, they decided to change the training program to ensure more people made it through to actual, relevant, live traffic training.

people make a good deal of money, yet are often whining about not making more. most of the whining I overheard came from people making over 90K a year.

The abnormal schedule, for example, 3-11pm, 2-10pm, 8-4pm, 6-2pm followed by a night shift the same day of 10pm-6am really messes people up. I saw walking zombies every day. I have met people who had to work this schedule well into their 40s. think about it, you are gone 2 evenings a week, one overnight, and basically the best way to deal with the overnight is to not sleep all day when you get home at the crack of dawn so if you think about that, does the money justify what type of life you will have?

there is a rift between the Union members and non-union types. a lot of trash-talking behind people's backs, and it all seems very high-school.

not a con, but a final warning. I would not count on basic intelligence to carry you through to CPC (certified professional controller) Most if not all people who make it through have sacrificed a lot of personal time studying their ass off to make it, and sometimes that's not enough. if you really want it, it will consume you for a good 2-3 years until you are fully checked out....that is, if you make it thru training. my advice, have a back up plan.

allow controllers to decide if trainees are proficient enough to do the job. don't fail candidates out in early, rushed, unrealistic training scenarios.

Thankless job

Former Employee - TA Tech
    Former Employee - TA Tech

I worked at FAA

Pros

Secure and stable, and some good people

Cons

No room for growth, No fun

Be open and flexible with your staff people

Best Place to work for

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at FAA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very agile Govt agency. Client just doesn't spend citizen's tax money, they do have a vision and a strategy to align IT investments with the business goals.

Cons

Not a very highly paid company.

understand the potential of your employees and clients and provide an appropriate role to them that fits their talent instead of assigning any task to anybody.

Great job, lousy employer.

Current Employee - Air Traffic Control Specialist in Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - Air Traffic Control Specialist in Centennial, CO

I have been working at FAA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

40 Hour work week, get paid while you train.

Cons

Abusive management, poor work-life balance.

Realize that without the controllers there is no air traffic control. Management is top heavy and unresponsive to controller needs.

Perfect for veteran feds who want easy work

Current Employee - Computer Software Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Computer Software Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at FAA full-time

Pros

- Great benefits
    - Laidback environment
    - Cordial co-workers
    - Decent pay

Cons

- FAA not willing to invest in training for permanent employees, so permanent gov't workers tend to have less training than contractors who's parent companies' train employees before bidding them out.
    - Slow pace
    - Not enough work
    - IT Team leads become micromanagers from their lack of tasks
    - Uppers gossiping at w/i earshot (but that's everywhere)
    - Not alot of mid-rang career openings, only high up position so tons of FAA positions require grad degrees for promotion, since it's hard to have an opportunity to learn the job from more experienced people alone.
    - Not an information sharing type of environment. Veteran programmers hog the work to appear busy. Don't want to delegate and train.
    - Slow to learn newer programming languages/technology

Train managers to train team leads to actually help with training/giving helpful tips to employees. I've wasted thousands of hours on language/technology I have yet to use. My time has been excessively wasted with bad tips.

It's good, but it could have been better

Current Employee - Computer Scientist in Atlantic City, NJ
    Current Employee - Computer Scientist in Atlantic City, NJ

I have been working at FAA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I was a student intern here and got a permanent job right after. The people are great. The job is easy. The benefits are good. It's a laid-back typical government office working environment.

Cons

A lot of politics. Watch your back, and there are a lot of back stabbers that are just looking for opportunities to bring you down if you are looking to a higher position. Some managers, program offices and program managers do NOT know anything about management, leadership, or even the actual project that they are supposed to be "managing" . If you do well, and the project has a great turn out, they'll take all credit and not even to mention your name. It is very hard to get to upper management level as you have to have connection and majority of the people that I work with are just so l-a-z-y and s-l-o-w-w-w

Need to encourage junior employees to look for opportunities to raise. Need to improve schedule management, and keep things in line. Make logic decisions and do NOT let someone else to make decision for you.

Proactive Agency

Current Employee - Management and Program Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Management and Program Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at FAA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Convenient to Metro
    Autonomy when leadership is happy with your work output

Cons

Always proactive never reactive. Multiple meetings to discuss what was discussed - wasted time. Things have to go through several layers of approval before it's actually given any thought. Nepotism and favoritism is rampant. Disconnect between what senior leadership verbalizes and what actually happens at the worker level.

Communicate to employees. Enforce policy and procedures. Encourage cooperation and foster good customer service.

It's a government job

I worked at FAA full-time

Pros

work and life balance, could coordinate travel schedule

Cons

Work pace was very slow

FAA Photos