FAA

Updated Feb 23, 2014

FAA Administrator Michael P. Huerta

Michael P. Huerta

19 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Personal growth and reaching my full potential

Senior Manager-communications (Current Employee)

I have been working at FAA full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe opportunity to expand one's learning, skills and role in the agency by taking on assignments, creating a working network of professionals in the agency, learning to work around frustrations inherent in large institutions.

ConsIt is a large agency and one can feel pigeonholed.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of the long-standing senior executives and managers are in positions too long without learning and experiencing what their employees really have to do to get work accomplished. Perhaps some of these senior people need to move around once in a while. Often it appears that most qualified people are passed over.

Satisfactory

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at FAA part-time

ProsNice people and friendly environment, plenty of employee friendships, job stability, willingness to help

ConsEmployees don't seem particularly qualified. Stereotypical bureaucratic government environment

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more qualified, energetic individuals. Pay your interns for transportation at the very least.

Air Traffic Controller

Air Traffic Controller (Current Employee)

I have been working at FAA full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPay is great and some benefits are good

ConsShift work with weekends and holidays

Advice to Senior ManagementHire supervisors with more experience

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Student mentee

Student Mentee (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at FAA as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat mentorship by very knowledgeable people

ConsNo payments for college students. Work place is kind of boring

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the mentee have more contacts within the office

Overall a great experience, though it varies by office/division

Contract Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at FAA full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI worked within the Office of Acquisition and Business Services as a Contract Specialist. During my 4 years with the agency, I had mixed experiences with management, as I was moved to different branches throughout my tenure. For the first two years, I couldn't have been happier with my management team. They were supportive of my career development; empowered me to make real business decisions on my own; and flexible with my schedule. I could honestly say that my first supervisor (who's still currently at FAA) was the best supervisor I've ever had. My Division Manager (second-level supervisor) was also amazing, although she is no longer with the agency. So, A++ for management during the first 2 years of my time at FAA.

In general, the FAA was very supportive of training and employee development. They paid for numerous training courses and even paid for some of my MBA courses. Work schedules are very flexible, allowing for telework and "regular days off" (i.e., you work 9-hour days throughout the week and then get every other Monday or Friday off).

In general there was a great culture. Co-workers were always willing to help each other and sought advice from one another. There was a strong "teaching" culture - senior employees helped junior ones learn how to excel in their roles. Also, authority was pushed down to the lowest levels possible. Once you gained trust with your management team, they gave you new and challenging assignments and allowed you to handle them the way you saw fit. Within two years, I got a Contracting Officer's warrant, which allowed me to sign contracts on behalf of the FAA. This gave me a lot of satisfaction and pride (and accountability!) in my work. Management always recognized hard workers and praised them publicly and in written emails. They made sure to compensate extra efforts with cash awards and/or time off awards.

Employees who work hard are promoted fairly. They certainly made you feel appreciated when it's warranted.

ConsMy experience was that people were shuffled around to avoid HR issues. When there was a "problem employee" in one branch, they swapped them with a "good" employee from another branch, essentially passing the problem child around rather than dealing with the issue. This was disruptive to the "good" employee, as they had to inherit a new set of contracts; work with a new manager, customers, and co-workers; and drop projects they were working on in their previous branch (projects they'd dedicated themselves to for months/years).

The culture of branches/divisions/offices differs drastically. To a great extent, it basically depends on your first-level supervisor, which in many cases is not the best.

After I left the agency, the office I worked for has had many management changes and many departures. Turnover has increased drastically and I'm not sure why...

Advice to Senior ManagementHire good first-level supervisors. These are the people who keep the "worker bees" motivated and who basically "make or break" the working environment for the majority of employees. If you dislike your supervisor, you typically dislike your job. But a good supervisor can make the world of a difference in the attitude, work quality, and efficiency of employees.

Don't pass "problem children" around to other managers and inconvenience good employees in the process. Deal with the problem. I understand the bureaucracy involved with HR in the federal government, but hire managers who are adept at dealing with these types of issues and who are willing and motivated to go through the appropriate steps to discipline employees who need to be disciplined.

Don't be scared to let your star performers go on details or rotations. They need it for their career development and will go find it elsewhere if you don't allow them to "spread their wings."

not honest they maded a movies of us orphans called head of state unathor moviie

Government Contract Secretary (Former Employee)

I worked at FAA full-time for more than 10 years

Proseasy scan off gov contracts strrets sale body come in by radio see what going on

Conscontracts not completed there work

This seemed like a good idea at the time

Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsUnusual to get 1:1 Comp time or 1.5:1 Overtime as an engineer
Flexible schedule
Government Benefits and Vacation
An actual pension plan (thought it isn't what it once was)

ConsA lot of bad frontline managers
Sequestration hasn't hit as hard as some places but the belt tightens again every year.
It costs a little piece of my soul every day.
No obvious way to move up the Payband since step increases were removed.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe constant reorganizations are a distraction. Pick an organizational structure and figure out how to optimize it. There are advantages and disadvantages to any plan but there is only chaos from constant, wholesale change.

FAA: For better or for worse.

Aviation Safety Inspector (Current Employee)

I have been working at FAA full-time for more than 10 years

ProsStability, pay, lack of required production.

ConsOrganizational pursuit of mediocrity. Threatened by excellence.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit promoting under educated unenlightened desk monitors.

Poorly qualified supervisors and trained controllers.

Air Traffic Controller (Former Employee)
Leesburg, VA

I worked at FAA full-time for more than 10 years

ProsProud to be a good air traffic controller.

ConsLow standards for training new people.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire qualified people.

Opportunities and Rewards

I have been working at FAA full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIn the field of Air Traffic Control (and if you have what it takes) - this is a rewarding career with competitive salaries, rapid pay raises (first 3 years of training), great benefits and management opportunities for those that show dedication and desire to do more.

ConsPay decreases if you decide to go "up the ladder" into management. Affirmative action can be a challenge for some - a benefit for others.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor the 99% - you are doing great!

Worked for FAA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at FAA reviews and ratings in Washington, DC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for FAA CEO Michael P. Huerta . All 19 reviews posted anonymously by FAA employees.